Using OPK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Using OPK

After a few months of TTC (and a chemical pregnancy in October), I'm going to try and use an OPK this month. Any thoughts on ease of use, frustrations using them, other comments? I've read bits and pieces about them on these boards but couldn't find a specific thread. TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Using OPK

I have great results with the cheapo ones from Amaon.   Of course, by "great results" I don't mean I got pregnant, unfortunately, BUT but AF comes exactly 15 days after my positive OPK strip result every single time so I know it's accurrate and I'm reading it correctly.  My cycles vary from 27 - 35 days, but I can predict exactly what day AF will come based on the strips.

Other people have trouble reading when they are positive.  I figured out what my positive looks like after a few months.  It's not two perfectly equal lines, but the test line is that much significantly darker on the positive day that it became obvious to me that that was it after a few months of testing from Day 8 until I got what I thought was a positive result.  I can post photos of my results this month if it will help.  I'm on CD2, though, so you'll have to wait.

There's NO WAY I'd pay the big bucks for the POAS version in drug stores when I can dip these for practically free.

Amazon's strips

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Thanks Kar. Unfortunately for my wallet, I already bought one of the expensive kits. I'll get the ones from Amazon if I need them next month. I'm on CD6 today so will start testing on Friday as I normally have a 26 or 27 day cycle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, maybe you'll get your bfp with this kit!  GL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Hi Jacon,

I was one of those people who hard a time  reading the OPK but I turns out it was because I never OV.  Now, that I'm metformin I can the read the OPK without a question.  If I was you I would start testing around day 9 until you get a feel for them.  Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I gave up on the kits with the lines after a month or two (found them very frustrating) and have stuck with the digital ones. They are more expensive, but at least you know for sure. I also have a pretty good idea at this point when I should get a postive test so I don't use too many each month. Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I used the digital ones (the stick ones just seemed far too complicated, I liked the ease of a smiley face/no smiley face).
    This said, for the month of October, I used them every day from about day 6 through to day 20 (and was also getting daily blood tests to see when I would/did O). Strangely, neither the tests or the blood work ever changed, yet come November, after assuming the month of OCtober was a write off, I found out I was pregnant, hurray! (I had been taking clomid).  My RE remains puzzled as to how this happened!! So, clearly there is some margin of error that you may need to keep in mind.

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Daily blood tests?  What a PITA that must have been!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Kar - not so much a PITA (unless you mean Pain in the Arm!) as the hospital is only a slight detour on my way to work.  It was the bruising that made me look like an IV drug user that was more troubling - especially when I was wearing short sleeves to the gym!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Like Prill, I never got a "positive" with the OPK the cycle that I got pregnant--with fraternal twins (meaning I ovulated twice).  I tested earlier and for longer than I was supposed to, and during the expected ovulation time, I tested twice a day so as not to miss the surge.  And during that time I was using the digital ones to be sure I didn't misread the POAS kind.  I was also on clomid and I know the same thing happened to Stefani (who now has 8 week old fraternal twins).  So...it may be something with the clomid, but I would not base babymaking activities on the results of the OPKs regardless.  They are a useful tool when they work, and if you see indication of a surge, certainly get busy, but don't rely on them entirely.  If you aren't charting your temps, you may want to consider doing that also for a few months to get a feel for when your temp surge usually is.  In any case, good luck to you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good advice!  Like you say, Daisy, if you do see a positive "get busy," but if by mid cycle you haven't seen a positive yet, BD at that time, anyway.  The worst that can happen is that you BD too early (mid cycle) and find out (from detecting a surge) you're going to ovulate later by the strips. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Oh, I plan on getting busy no matter the result of the OPK! Thanks for the input.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I third that suggestion!  I never saw a line on the cheap strips during the month that we conceived.  I didn't except to O until Friday or Saturday, but told DH we better get busy anyway and it's a good thing - we conceived on the Tuesday before I expected to O!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I like Kar, recommend the Amazon strips if you get a chance to use them (in your case hope not!), I actually found them easy to use and got good results.  I found that I needed to test more than 1xday around the time I thought I was going to O. This helped since the positive strip in the morning was only slightly darker than usual, but later in the day around 4pm it was much darker. Had I not tested later in the day, I would have missed the surge.  Not sure how many extra tests come with the kind from the drug store, but it doesn't hurt to test a few times when you think you might be Oing.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I know I'm in the minority with my luck with these, but I used the two-line OPKs with both pregnancies successfully.  i chose the Answer brand b/c you get many strips and I had irregular cycles, so I wanted the opportunity to test as soon as AF finished.  Both times, I noticed a pattern of gradual darkening of the test line until it was finally darker than the control line. After noticing this over a few mos, (now I'm forgetting how long with each pregnancy) we started BDing once the darkening started through one day after the line was darkest... maybe 4 days total?  This seemed to work both times.  
    Hope this is helpful!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ajuly, you're actually supposed to test after 2pm because most women have their LH surge in the morning.  You were getting a slight ramp up in the morning then the actual positive in the afternoon because of that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I also have found that the cheap Amazon strips work fine--I've never had trouble reading them, and I'm fairly sure that they're correct given that they are confirmed by charting temperatures and by a consistent time period between a positive on the strips and the arrival of my period.  I think it can be handy to chart for a few months, too--I did it for three months and then stopped, but it was useful to see what my normal cycle looks like. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have 3 degrees but I could not for the life of me read these stinking tests. Even using the 'fool proof' ones w/ the smiley face, I'd get that stupid "error" message. So either every single test I bought was defective, or else there is something wrong w/ my pee.  Come on! Every single test I get an error message?!!  Way to make me fee like I have inadequate pee.  lol.  I don't even want to know how much money I literally pi##ed away.  I did eventually get pg, but it ended in m/c.  I'm pretty much beyond caring whether we do or don't get pg at this point.  The whole process is exhausting and demoralizing. For DH's sake, I soldier on.  Hopefully you'll have better luck w/ those stupid tests than I did.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe my pee is better than yours?  ;)  I'll post Day 8 until I get a positive result, and you guys let me know if the results look the same for you.  I'm so curious!

ALF, you're really just trying for DH, now?  That stinks... :(

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Everyone's pee is apparently better than mine, if those tests are any indicator. ;-p

Yes, I am trying only for DH now. I don't care whether we have kids anymore. After the m/c, I just want to stop trying b/c it was freaking scary. DH was away for work when it happened, so I had to drive myself to the hospital in the middle of one of DC's major blizzards last year.  Then it took a week and several hospital visits before it was finally deemed a m/c and not just a threatened one b/c it was twins and one hung on for several days longer than the other.  How I got to the hospital that was 20 miles away on mostly unplowed Beltway while driving a Corolla, I have no idea.  I personally believe that I am too old (38) (and nature apparently agrees w/ me) to become a first time mother, but he really wants kids, so we keep trying.   

Sorry for taking over your post w/ my venting.  I am sure you will have better luck than I did. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Vent away, ALF.  Isn't that one the many purposes of these boards?  That sounds horrifying to me.  I'm so sorry you went through that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Alf, I agree, vent away. Your story does sound awful and I could see where you might not want to risk something like that again. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Thankfully, I am already blessed with DS whom I had when I was 39. Am now 41 and hoping for #2. Sometimes I worry that I am old mom but then other times I know I'm being silly. DH and I can provide a happy, loving home and that's what matters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, how terrible.  So sorry to hear that - it sounds like the worst nightmare ever.

I worry about Down's Syndrome at my age, 39, and wonder how long I want to keep trying.  Am dreading bringing this up with my DH.  There are optomists, pessimists and, now that I know him, what I like to call fantasists.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

fantasists  Not to make light of the situation, but can I steal that?  I like that one.

ALF - I have been scrolling through old threads as I am now actively TTC and was rereading your mc posts yesterday.  How intensely traumatic for you to have gone through that.  Never apologize for venting.  Its what we are here for.

Kar, I'm sure you know of all of the other options that are out there if it doesn't happen "the old fashioned way" and I'm not going to ask what you have or will explored as it is none of my business.  I think you are meant to be a Mom though, however it may happen.