Weight and TTC/pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Weight and TTC/pregnancy

Hi ladies,

I am about 25lbs overweight :/. However, I have lost 15lbs in the past 3 months and feel great about that. When I asked my doctor about my weight issues and pregnancy she was very straight forward and said that it could cause high blood pressure, diabetes, not enough energy and feeling physically uncomfortable. She didn't, however say that I shouldn't be ttc. I have struggled with my weight since childhood and just don't ever see me being a "small" woman.

Has anyone else who is pregnant, has a baby or tcc dealing with this as well? I would love to hear about it :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Weight and TTC/pregnancy

Congrats on the 15 lbs!  25 lbs overweight is not optimal, but are you seriously considering not ttc because of that?  What else in your life isn't optimal - if you're anything like everyone else, nothing is.  Keep doing what you're doing (if you lost the 15 lbs in a healthy way with exercise and healthful food choices) and don't worry about it.  Of course, if you get pg, you'll have to watch your food choices, portions, and exercise to make sure you don't gain more than recommended, if any.  "Eating for 2" is a myth that gets women in trouble.  Maybe you should see if your insurance covers seeing a nutritionist.  You don't have to be a skinny mini to have a healthy baby and pregnancy, but a healthful lifestyle certainly goes a long way toward both.

What is your actual concern?  Your BMI can't be "obese" unless you're 4 feet tall...

ETA:  If you keep up what you're doing in the next 3 months you'll lose at least another 10 lbs and up to 15.  Then, you'll only be 10 - 15 lbs overweight.  You realize your chances of getting pg before then are not that high, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

FWIW, I had 20 lbs. to lose pre-pregnancy. I had such severe morningsickness that I lost 17 of those lbs. during the first trimester (but gained it back by the end of the pregnancy).

I'm now about 10lbs. from goal and my doctor said I might want to hang on to that weight if we attempt a second pregnancy, since I very well might lose the weight 1st trimester.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

There are many women who successfully carry a healthy baby to term who are overweight.  There are also many women who are the ideal weight who have difficult pregnancies.  Like anything else in life, you just can't know what's going to happen until it happens. That said, being overweight may contribute to all of those complications you listed above, high blood pressure, diabetes etc., all of which complicate pregnancies.  No, you can't change your body type to be a "small woman" as you said, but you can make healthy eating choices going forward, and try to exercise, either by going to the gym a few times a week or even by doing a brisk walk around the neighborhood to prepare your body for the strainof pregnancy. You can also try making small but important lifestyle changes - ie parking far away from the store as opposed to always looking for the closest spot, substituting low calorie ingredients in your every day meals, drinking a lot of water etc.  Making these healthy lifestyle choices while you are TTC will greatly increase your chances of having a "normal" pregnancy and delivering a strong, healthy little baby. 

If you were very overweight - like 100 lbs or more - I'd assume that a doctor would advise you to hold off on TTCing for a month or two and try to lose a little bit of weight, purely for health reasons (although I'm sure many women who are over 100 lbs have carried pregnancies to term with no complications).  Like Kar said, there's never going to be an "ideal" time to have a baby so as long as you are mentally ready to be a parent, it sounds like your best bet is to start trying and also continue your weight loss efforts. Congrats on losing 15 lbs, by the way. That's not easy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I started my pregnancy overweight (probably about 40lbs), and at my 6 week PP app't I was 15 lbs below my starting weight.  I actually found my pregnancy to be a great time to eat more healthfully and be more conscious of exercise and food, especially because I wasn't doing it for myself, but for her!  I walked every day, I ate fewer processed foods, and was great at water intake. 

The baby will take what he/she needs...and sometimes that includes a little of what you don't! 

I did not have GD, but did have an erratic, mildly elevated BP.  I was on meds during third trimester, but since delivery, I've been fine.  And breastfeeding did help me continue to lose, since I kept up the water and watched what I was eating then, too. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

To add to what everyone else has said ... there is actually evidence that if you had diabetes (or pre-diabetes), and take measures to control it well during pregnancy, that you have a much lower chance of passing it on to your child.  I believe this study was done in a population of native americans (as they have much higher rates of diabetes, statistically) and those women found that the motivation to eat healthy and exercise while pregnant was far easier to come by because they knew the decisions they were making in that 9 month span would make such a positive change in their children's lives. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Liz - I just wanted to lend my support. I started the year with an "overweight" BMI and an "obese" body fat %. I've been making changes to my diet and exercise for a lot reasons, ttc being one. When I saw my doctor a few months ago having lost maybe 5lbs if that, I asked her about ttc and she basically told me that I was crazy if I thought that I wouldn't be able to get pregnant or have a healthy baby because of the extra weight. She did test my thyroid to see if there were any abnormalities that was causing my slow weightloss, but otherwise, she advised me to talk to my GYN if we have problems. (We're not quite ready for ttc yet, partially because I'm trying to get my body in shape for it.) 

If you're making healthy choices now with diet and exercise and plan to keep that up once you get pregnant, I wouldn't say that those extra 25lbs are a deal breaker. I think we've all seen overweight women have perfectly healthy pregnancies and women of an average weight have issues with blood pressure and diabetes. Increased risk factors doesn't mean that you will absolutely have those issues. 

Congratulations on those 15lbs! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats on losing 15 lbs, Liz!  I, too, have never been and never will be a "small girl."  Any weight you can lose, and keep off, is going to be good for you.

I made an effort to lose weight before/while ttc.  Both becuase I knew I should lose the extra weight, and honestly, the thought of losing an additional 30 lbs or so of pregnancy weight on top of where I was scared me half to death.  My PCP supported my efforts, but also was clear that plenty of overweight poeple have normal, healthly pregnancies.

After the fist 6 months of ttc without success, I decided that losing the weight was probably the only factor I could control, really buckled down, and was able to lose 40 lbs. I'm sure I'm still overweight, but it has made me feel healthier, and more energetic.  I can't say for sure that losing the weight made the difference in finally getting a BFP, but I think that eating better, getting a good amount of exercise, and having the stress relief the exercise provides me, certainly couldn't have hurt.

Good luck to you as you continue on both your weight loss and ttc! Neither is easy! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I was about 15-20 lbs "overweight" when I first got pregnant, and I have to say - being pregnant actually helped with that.  I was very motivated to eat healthily (when I finally wanted to eat, after the 1st trimester was over), I walked at lunchtime, I went to prenatal yoga... I was thinner/in better shape 12 hours after giving birth than I was before I got pregnant, or than I am now, a year after giving birth!!  If you are otherwise healthy and your doctor has not indicated any specific concerns, I don't think merely being 25lbs "overweight" should worry you too much re: TTC/pregnancy.

BTW, so impressed with those of you who have managed to lose weight!  You must feel great.  I'm personally struggling with that right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I don't have a lot to add but I wanted to say congrats to all of you that have managed to lose weight!  It's no easy feat and I'm definitely impressed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Weight and TTC/pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I am about 25lbs overweight :/. However, I have lost 15lbs in the past 3 months and feel great about that. When I asked my doctor about my weight issues and pregnancy she was very straight forward and said that it could cause high blood pressure, diabetes, not enough energy and feeling physically uncomfortable. She didn't, however say that I shouldn't be ttc. I have struggled with my weight since childhood and just don't ever see me being a "small" woman. Has anyone else who is pregnant, has a baby or tcc dealing with this as well? I would love to hear about it :)
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I though being pregnant by definition meant that you would not have enough energy and would feel physically uncomfortable?  Tongue outIf you are otherwise healthy and your doctor has not specifically suggested that you lose weight before TTC because you personally have a specific danger of having high blood pressure and developing diabetes due to other health factors, I would think doing what you are doing is fine. You sound like you are on the right road w/ the weight loss thus far.  Good luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I just typed out a WHOLE response and BDC is saying "please change the following words." But not telling me which words!?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So aggrevating, liz!  I've heard similar complaints all over the boards...argh.  Sorry to hear that you were the latest victim.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

I have never heard of that amount of weight being a factor in not TTC. Like others have said - it doesn't seem to matter unless you are severely obese (or severely underweight too). You can have a good pg or a not so good one, regardless of your size in the 'average' area.

Considering something like 1/3 of the population out there is overweight (myself included) and plenty of kids are still being born - I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) CONGRATS on your weight loss as well! I have been struggling w/my weight for almost 9 mo (since DD was born). It is hard. I just can't seem to motivate myself anymore!

To add a personal anecdote - I was in my OB's office waiting for my first u/s and there was this girl who was about 5 months pregnant and still looked like a supermodel. So the little green monster in me appeared and I thought how lucky she was and that she would have no issue with losing her baby weight, etc. Well, I overheard her on the phone sadly talking about how the doctor didn't think she would make it to the 3rd trimester w/out going into early labor, which had apparently happened with her first child as well. That still sticks with me and makes me sad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Redsox, that is sad. Who knows if she was that skinny naturally or just going out of her way to not gain any weight.

Two stories:
    I have a friend who is extremely obesessed with being thin. If she lost any more weight she would literally float away. She made a comment to me once that her mother only gaine 12lbs throughtout her whole pregnancy with her and she prays to God she is the same way. I didn't even know what to think.

Also, my very good friends sister was about 115 when she got pregnant and she was so sick the first trimester that she dropped to 93lbs. The doctors put her in an i/v and pumped her with sugars (I don't know how long for), and she ended up gaining 100lbs due to that. She was 215lbs when she gave birth.

It is so interesting how weight is so different for each pregnant woman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think if you're 25 lbs overweight when you get pregnant it means that you shouldn't gain 25 lbs during pregnancy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Weight and TTC/pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend who is extremely obesessed with being thin. If she lost any more weight she would literally float away. She made a comment to me once that her mother only gaine 12lbs throughtout her whole pregnancy with her and she prays to God she is the same way. I didn't even know what to think.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I will NEVER understand this thinking.  Pregnancy is a bona-fide reason to not have to look skinny!  That fact should be CELEBRATED!!

(note: notice I did NOT say, "pregnancy is an excuse to gain weight", so please don't assume that is what I meant)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Well, my mother only gained 15 lbs w/ me and didn't need maternity clothes until her 7th month, and then I was born a month early.  She was fine and I was healthy. It's just the way it happened.  My mother was a normal sized woman who ate normally and her doctor was not concerned.  Everyone is different. It is NORMAL to gain very little weight during some pregnancies. 

Just b/c some people do not gain a lot weight during pg, or are otherwise naturally thin, does not mean they excessively diet, restrict themselves, don't eat enough amd must always be hungry b/c no one can be thin like that and not be hungry.  Sometimes it just genetics (you can be fat or thin but do nothing to achieve that shape other than just exist).  I get so annoyed when I hear comments like 'omg, she weighs like nothing;that can't be healthy'. Just as it is not appropirate to comment on the weight of someone who is heavy, it is not appropriate to comment on the weight of someone who is thin.  Are there people who take it to extremes (overeat b/c pg is an excuse  or undereat during pg b/c they are afraid of weight gain)?  Of course. But can we please stop judging each other and making catty comments b/c we think someone is too thin or too fat during their pg or when not pg?  If their dr isn't concerned, or they don't have a diagnosed eating disorder, it's really none of your concern. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Alf - I think many women feel threatened by thin women.  I also think many women feel threatened when women lose weight even by the healthiest means.  I have a patient who was about 250 lbs and lost 50 lbs through healthy diet and exercise and everyone told her to stop b/c she looked too thin.  Really?

I watch the sabotage at my workplace all the time . People are CONSTANTLY bringing in unhealthy snack foods, baked goods, candy - none of the men ever do.

Personally, if my pregnancy is healthy, I would definitely prefer to gain less weight.  I would never compromise my health or baby's health by restricting calories but why gain 50 when you can do just as well with 25. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree, lil. Women do have a tendency to sabotage each other, or at least try to. 

I was actually told by several people [wives of my DH's coworkers and not close friends, which is all the more astounding] that I should eat more if I wanted to get pg b/c I looked too thin to get pg. My BMI is in the low range but is perfectly normal. I was floored that they thought this was any of their business.  I eat like a horse, so I don't know why they thought I needed to eat more [we were at a work cookout and I had a plate of chicken wings, a burger and dessert in front of me, which made it all the more bizarre].  DH and I were newlyweds so I guess they thought were in the TTC mindset.  I asked the dr about it just to be safe and he said that I should not be concerned in the slightest.  I eat well and exercise to be healthy but also don't deprive myself. It just astonishes me that people feel the need to spout off or even refernece my weight or make comments about thin people.  I'm sorry that some people aren't happy w/ their weight or have trouble losing weight that they want to lose.  Thin people do not sit around and think "oh my god, people are so fat" or 'omg, she is eating so much", nor do we all deprive ourselves of food and walk around hungry all the time. If you don't want people to make comments about your weight, the easiest thing to do is not make commments about their's.   

Honestly, the next time someone tells me to eat something b/c I"m too thin, I'm going to ask what they want to give me off their plate b/c they sure could spare to give up some. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

ALF, I'd love to be next to you when you say that - lol!

Sections
Shortcuts