Architect Fees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Architect Fees

We are considering renovating our home to remove some walls and improve the layout. We have an idea of what we ultimately want to accomplish, but we would like to have an architect's professional opinion on what is doable, and possibly even give us some options that we may not have considered. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience hiring architects? How are the fees typically decided - is it on an hourly basis, or on a project basis? How much interaction do they typically have with the contractor, or once the plans are drawn up are they out of the picture? We're not looking to add onto the home, so it would be all internal work, if any of you have had a similar project, I would appreciate it if you might be able to provide an idea of the architect cost.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuzyE. Show SuzyE's posts

Re: Architect Fees

I haven't hired an architect yet, but have been looking and gotten some quotes.  One Boston firm with fancy web site:  $180/hr.  A western MA firm with good recommendations:  $60/hr.  So my advice is shop around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DB-Design. Show DB-Design's posts

I am able to help you out with your design and drawings
    Much cheaper than go ing rates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcldesigner13. Show rcldesigner13's posts

I would be interested in helping you out and would be cheaper than most professional firms. I just finished a set of plans for a couple in Natick, MA who would be happy to speak with you with their experience. I also have completed many interior design renovations on my own home in Milton, MA. as a designer and builder.  Please contact me to discuss further. I can e-mail you sample plans & completed work samples.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rickf1957. Show Rickf1957's posts

For a renovation project, if you have a reasonable clue of what you want to do , forget the architect and hire a really good GC.

I am neither a GC nor an Architect, but a homeowner how has done this before.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OOLLYY. Show OOLLYY's posts

In Response to Re: Architect Fees:
    For a renovation project, if you have a reasonable clue of what you want to do , forget the architect and hire a really good GC. I am neither a GC nor an Architect, but a homeowner how has done this before.
    Posted by Rickf1957

General Contractors don't do design generally.  It sounds like what you really need is a Design Builder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

If you are in or near Boston, I recommend joining the Boston Building Materials Co-Op: 

http://www.bbmc.com/bbmc/index.html

This is a great organization where you can take classes and workshops and learn all kinds of things about your house (like how to identify a load-bearing wall, which might come in handy as you plan your rennovations!) and try your hand at things you can do yourself (like hang drywall, lay tile, etc.).  Most importantly, though, they have a referral list of vetted contractors, designers, architects, etc. that you can access as a member.   These are terrific people, and you'll find a good portion of them are committed to green design and building, too.

And attached to the Co-Op is the Boston Building Materials Resource Center, when you can donate used and excess building materials.  When we rennovated the kitchen in our first home, we did much of the prep work and finish work ourselves, our wonderful contractor was recommended by the Co-Op, and we donated our old kitchen cabinets to the Resource Center (where we are told they were immediately snapped up for a small rennovation of an affordable housing unit). 

Check it out, and good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from doesitmatter. Show doesitmatter's posts

We went the architect route.  Provided him a budget for the remodel.  He made the design and we priced it out w/ GC's.  Every GC came in 2-3 times over our remodel budget.  What good is a nice desgn if you can't afford it?  We had to scrap the plans and then went with a design/build firm that designed the remodel w/i our budget.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2cents4you. Show 2cents4you's posts

Here is a link to a the Boston Society of Architects Homeowner's Project Handbook - http://www.architects.org/projecthandbook/ - I trust you'll find it useful as you plan your project(s) by yourself or with your neighbor, builder, contractor, designer, engineer and/or architect

As with most things in life, there are people who are good at what they do and there are people who are not. There are many people from many different backgrounds that can help you with your home renovation projects. What separates those who get taken advantage of from those that do not is education... and of course, open communication helps manage the expectations in any relationship

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I had no idea thre were so many resources available - I'll definitely check out those links. CT Mum - I'm so glad that you had such a positive experience.