Are property taxes too high, or are services worth it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattCarroll. Show MattCarroll's posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from REALmaven. Show REALmaven's posts

Re: Are property taxes too high, or are services worth it?

Property taxes are too high but there is nothing you can do about it .  Thank God for Barbara Anderson and Prop 2 1/2 otherwise they would be much higher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Our town has some of the highest property taxes in the State, a good school system, a terrible Rec center, and no garbage pickup. While the kids are in public school I would say we are about breaking even, but I do not know why anybody would stay here after their kids are through school. There are just not enough services available to justify it. I've seen many empty-nesters move just one town over where the taxes are considerably lower, but they can still stay in touch with their friends and enjoy the greater community. Of course, the cycle then continues with many young families then buying those empty-nesters homes to get into the school district.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

Property taxes are the only taxes that we pay that are worth it.  They pay for fire, police, schools, roads, playgrounds, senior and rec centers.  Pretty much everything that matters.  

I would be perfectly happy for the state to cut all taxes and have the money go directly to the towns.  There would be less waste in the process.  Same goes the federal taxes with a few exceptions (some level of national defense, national parks, interstate highways, probably a few other isolated things).  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

This question can only be answered on a community by community basis.  In some communities you need to buy colored trash bags directly from the town or they won't pick up the trash.   Other communities do leaf pick up and other don't.  Some communities have festivals at the town common, citizen police academies, fire safety courses, etc.  It really all depends on what you are getting for the money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

I see the same thing happening in my town as mspitzer. Most of it goes to the schools and its a good thing! It would cost more to go to a private school. But they could at least pick up the trash!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I pay my property taxes even though the school system is so lousy I have to also pay private tuition for my kids. 
    What really burns me is the fee I pay for trash pickup.  I have one bag of trash a week, while many of my neighbors have 3-4 barrels full!  I would love to be able to opt out of the trash service or better yet, pay per bag. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

The same services could be done for a lot less. The greed of the Mass. Teachers Association is astronomical. They swallow up 60% of our revenue and then cry out for more and more money. The public unions must be stopped.