Best choice for Mulch color?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Best choice for Mulch color?

After having black mulch for a little over a year I'm sick of it.  I like the maroonish colored hemlock mulch.  What do you guys think is the best mulch choice?  I personally think the black mulch looks great for about two-three months and then it looks like dirt.  Are there any choices out there besides mulch that can add curb appeal?  Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozkid. Show jozkid's posts

Re: Best choice for Mulch color?

I also like the color of the dark mulch, but it does fade in the sun. I wouldn't go with the red mulches, though. They are often dyed and can look a bit unnatural. If your beds are on the smaller side (because it's pricier than bark mulches), I would use cocoa shell mulch. It's on the darker side, tends not to fly away as much, and breaks down into a great soil conditioner. It also smells like chocolate (at least for a little while). It can be poisonous to dogs, though, so use caution. If the dog thing is a problem, buckwheat hull mulch is also a lovely choice (though it's even pricier than the cocoa shell).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

Re: Best choice for Mulch color?

Hi Rodman (as an aside, I finally answered your question in basement waterproofing),

I like the dark brown (mahogany colored) mulch.  It's in between the bright red & the black, and seems to stay attractive a long time.

Cocoa mulch is good unless you have dogs, then it can be hazardous.  Rubber mulch seems icky to me, I imagine it holding tiny amounts of water & being an insect breeding ground.  Could be just my imagination, though!  Small gravel (pea gravel) can look nice but is a PITA to get leaves out of.

For the front yard, I just go with the dark brown bark mulch.  For the back yard areas I use chipped leaves (courtesy of a bagging mower) and since it's farther away, it looks a lot like mulch ;)

The only alternative to mulch is to plant a low-growing groundcover that will choke out weeds.  Veronica peduncularis (Georgia Blue) is a good option if you don't have a lot of foot traffic over the area.  It has little blue flowers & likes good drainage with full or partial sun.  It handles road salt & sand well.  You can get it from Classy Groundcovers (that's where we got it from) in large quantities & it really does hold up to New England winters quite well.  If you used that in your beds it would form a sort of living mulch.

EChic

Sections
Shortcuts