Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Best choice for Mulch color?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Best choice for Mulch color?

After having black mulch for a little over a year I'm sick of it.  I like the maroonish colored hemlock mulch.  What do you guys think is the best mulch choice?  I personally think the black mulch looks great for about two-three months and then it looks like dirt.  Are there any choices out there besides mulch that can add curb appeal?  Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozkid. Show jozkid's posts

Re: Best choice for Mulch color?

I also like the color of the dark mulch, but it does fade in the sun. I wouldn't go with the red mulches, though. They are often dyed and can look a bit unnatural. If your beds are on the smaller side (because it's pricier than bark mulches), I would use cocoa shell mulch. It's on the darker side, tends not to fly away as much, and breaks down into a great soil conditioner. It also smells like chocolate (at least for a little while). It can be poisonous to dogs, though, so use caution. If the dog thing is a problem, buckwheat hull mulch is also a lovely choice (though it's even pricier than the cocoa shell).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

Re: Best choice for Mulch color?

Hi Rodman (as an aside, I finally answered your question in basement waterproofing),

I like the dark brown (mahogany colored) mulch.  It's in between the bright red & the black, and seems to stay attractive a long time.

Cocoa mulch is good unless you have dogs, then it can be hazardous.  Rubber mulch seems icky to me, I imagine it holding tiny amounts of water & being an insect breeding ground.  Could be just my imagination, though!  Small gravel (pea gravel) can look nice but is a PITA to get leaves out of.

For the front yard, I just go with the dark brown bark mulch.  For the back yard areas I use chipped leaves (courtesy of a bagging mower) and since it's farther away, it looks a lot like mulch ;)

The only alternative to mulch is to plant a low-growing groundcover that will choke out weeds.  Veronica peduncularis (Georgia Blue) is a good option if you don't have a lot of foot traffic over the area.  It has little blue flowers & likes good drainage with full or partial sun.  It handles road salt & sand well.  You can get it from Classy Groundcovers (that's where we got it from) in large quantities & it really does hold up to New England winters quite well.  If you used that in your beds it would form a sort of living mulch.

EChic

Sections
Shortcuts