Creating a garage in the basement of a Charlestown single family

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MindyW. Show MindyW's posts

Creating a garage in the basement of a Charlestown single family

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience with building a garage into the partial first floor and basement of a single family city home.  Approval from the city for a curb cut would be needed.  With the streets of Charlestown getting more and more congested, we were hoping there would be a way to build a garage into our single family.  There are 3 floors to the house, 1st floor is never used, and living quarters are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
    Would this be too expensive to even investigate?
    Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4418999. Show user_4418999's posts

Re: Creating a garage in the basement of a Charlestown single family

What you are proposing is a very typical thing to do with new construction projects, but for existing structures it is not. It can be tricky depending on how your house is constructed and laid out.  Another thing to consider is that by adding a curb cut you are taking away a parking spot from the neighborhood.  Not always a popular idea. I am an architect in Charlestown and would be happy to take a look at you home and discuss you options. Look me up at andrewcrockerarchitecture.com.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonian29. Show Bostonian29's posts

In Response to Creating a garage in the basement of a Charlestown single family:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with building a garage into the partial first floor and basement of a single family city home.  Approval from the city for a curb cut would be needed.  With the streets of Charlestown getting more and more congested, we were hoping there would be a way to build a garage into our single family.  There are 3 floors to the house, 1st floor is never used, and living quarters are on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Would this be too expensive to even investigate? Thanks!
    Posted by MindyW

I don't know about Charlsetown, We did add a garage to a house in BackBay and it took 2 years of effort and close to $200K in engineering and architectural fees. You need permissions from Historical society, Zoning board, Boston water and sewer and other environmental agencies. There will be open hearings as well, so you need approval by your neighnotrs. This is not for faint of heart! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

If I were you, I'd probably not do it unless it gave you space for 2 cars (1 in the garage and 1 behind it in the driveway).  That way the curb cut that takes away 1 space actually takes 2 cars off the street, which is a win for you and your neighbors.  Tough call, and good luck!

Sections
Shortcuts