Help! - Metrowest towns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from looking4newhome. Show looking4newhome's posts

Help! - Metrowest towns

Hi all,
    My husband and I are looking to move further west . . . we are currently living close to the Nashua border, but need to relocate due to our jobs and to be closer to family who live in CT.  We'll be working in westboro and foxboro. We know absolutely nothing about towns in metrowest and are having great difficulty narrowing our search to a few towns.  On paper Holliston, Northboro, and Hopkinton are appealing simply based on location and great public schools, but what else is notable about these towns?  Ideally, we'd like to live in a town that has a little downtown area with restaurants and shops - is there such a thing?  I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on these towns or any others. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wsmboston. Show wsmboston's posts

Re: Help! - Metrowest towns

What is your budget like?
    In Response to Help! - Metrowest towns:
    [QUOTE]Hi all, My husband and I are looking to move further west . . . we are currently living close to the Nashua border, but need to relocate due to our jobs and to be closer to family who live in CT.  We'll be working in westboro and foxboro. We know absolutely nothing about towns in metrowest and are having great difficulty narrowing our search to a few towns.  On paper Holliston, Northboro, and Hopkinton are appealing simply based on location and great public schools, but what else is notable about these towns?  Ideally, we'd like to live in a town that has a little downtown area with restaurants and shops - is there such a thing?  I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on these towns or any others. 
    Posted by looking4newhome[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Mansfield is a nice town, as is Walpole.  I've heard that there are new construction homes being built in Foxboro for under $500k (not sure if that's within your budget).  The best bet would be to pack up the family on your next available Saturday or Sunday and drive around some of these towns.  Get a feel for the neighborhood life, vibrancy or lack thereof of the downtown areas and speak to people out doing yard work.  Pick their brains about the area.  They will give you the true scoop that the listing sheet will not and that the agent might not be able to.  This is a huge life change that deserves your best effort.  Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

You'll be better off concentrating in Holliston and Hopkinton, because it may be challenging to commute from Northboro to Foxboro.

Holliston is a great little town, with a nice downtown area. It's not immediately off the highway, but not too far. Very close to Milford, which has pretty much every major store you'd need, as well as plenty of restaurants. I don't know as much about Hopkinton, but it also seems very nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hopkinton is nice, too.  It has its own exit off Rt 9 and is 5 minutes from 495.  It's close enough to Framingham that you'd have plenty of restaurants and "big" shopping.  Not sure about its downtown, but I'm betting it's typical NE with a nice square.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chloe2006. Show chloe2006's posts

I live in Holliston -- VERY small downtown, few places to eat.  Pretty rural suburb, but a great community-oriented town, good schools.
    Hopkinton is similar but with a little more to offer -- a performing arts center, more eateries, great schools.
    Westboro would seem to be more what you are looking for, great downtown, great schools, and easy commuting access via 495 -- but a little pricier.

Ashland is also a decent option -- good schools, real estate prices are reasonable, commuter rail station, close to Mass Pike.

Good luck!  There are some good deals to be had in all these towns right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfanoviedo. Show redsoxfanoviedo's posts

Try my hometown...Medway.  Terrific schools and quick access to 495 south to Foxboro.  Franklin is good too.  Stay away from Milford.

Sections
Shortcuts