Wood trim: Paint it white or leave it natural?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Wood trim: Paint it white or leave it natural?

In your opinion, what looks better;  trim work (baseboards, moldings, wainscotting, etc.) that is painted white or kept as is, leaving it naturally brown with a stained finish?  I personally like the white painted finish, I feel it makes a home more contemporary and more stylish but I'd like to get more feedback before I decide what to do.  I realize that different house styles from different eras play a large role in what fits but for the purposes of this question I'm talking about your typical New England colonial, cape or ranch/split style home. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from acsd. Show acsd's posts

Re: Wood trim: Paint it white or leave it natural?

This seems to verge into the "am I doing it for myself or with an eye to resale" territory...it's something I've pondered myself. my two cents is that if you prefer white, go for it, remembering that it may be hard to go back. It does really lighten up a house and some of the traditional NE houses can be dark. This is assuming that the underlying wood is some sort of pine or something equally nondescript. If the grain is beautiful (and not already obscured by the existing finish), then I'd think twice. If the existing finish is thick, dark varnish, as it so often is, then you'd probably have to strip it anyway to make it look good and so adding a layer of paint wouldn't make the job much worse in the future...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have a newly built cape that my husband has intended to make look antique.  We have tin ceilings, wide pine hand-doweled floors, a center fireplace and wood stove, etc.  Our woodwork is all painted with oil based cream-colored paint - crown molding, 3 board wide pine wainscoting (like at the Wayside Inn), baseboards, built-ins, everything.  Couldn't find a photo that doesn't have our dog in it, and it's not the best shot of the powdercoated cream-colored tin ceilings, but I think it helps answer your question, anyway...hopefully.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry, just realized this OP was from quite awhile ago.  Well, if Ache is out there, here's another picture of Gracie for your amusement. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozkid. Show jozkid's posts

I prefer white from an aesthetic view. I think it makes your wall colors really pop and helps a lot to brighten up a room. One problem: you need to keep it up. Either with washing or repainting (especially with kids).

From an ease viewpoint, staining is great. Do it once and it's done. But it's a bear to change if you want a different look. And frankly, unless you have some beautiful wood to finish, it looks pretty basic.

I don't feel that either way "ages" a home. My parents had white woodwork in their '50s ranch and my grandparents had very VERY dark stained woodwork in their '20s colonial. I'm in a '60s colonial and it has lighter stained woodwork, at least upstairs. Their lower level woodwork is painted white, but is getting battered by the traffic from my kids. I's getting beaten up, but I still prefer the way it looks.

Sections
Shortcuts