Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?

I am very curious as to where the buyer's & seller's today are finding the agent to represent them in the purchase/marketing of their home? Do you search on-line, find an agent you liked from attending an Open House or from a recommendation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Re: Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?

We are popping into open houses and have been impressed with a few realtors that were very helpful/prepared.  That being said, companies like Zip & Redfin offer cash back to the buyer.  Since we are doing most of the research/legwork ourselves, we will probably take advantage of something like that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Don't underestimate the power that local realtors have.  They get the scoop on what's coming up for sale from other agents at their office, broker open houses, etc.  What might show up as 'new' on MLS might already be under agreement because a local agent had a buyer in mind before the house even hit MLS.  Just my two cents. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

In Response to Re: Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?:
    We are popping into open houses and have been impressed with a few realtors that were very helpful/prepared.  That being said, companies like Zip & Redfin offer cash back to the buyer.  Since we are doing most of the research/legwork ourselves, we will probably take advantage of something like that. 
    Posted by tibird

Thank you for your answer. So now I am wondering how these firms you mention will protect/promote your interests? Also, how well do they know the area and comp's? Like the other answer below so many times a house goes on and off with the networking full service agents do. Let me ask you: is that a valuable service to you? Have you lost out on a house that you would have put an offer on? I am putting this ? out to every buyer out there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Well, I have heard that an agent could help us find something as soon as it comes on the market, but we are in a position where we have to accept an offer on our condo before we can put one in on a house.

We are doing the leg work and researching homes on our own to be ready to choose a home based on what's available when we are ready.  We want to be able to move fast when that time comes though.
    We did try to work with our selling agent to find a home, but she has not been helpful at all and we are better off doing it on our own. I don't get the impression that she will be looking out for out interests, even when we are ready to buy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

That is AWFUL ... and I mean awful! Why not? You obviously need to find an agent who will be working FOR youon your purchase. Not all agents are like that believe me. You may just be having a bad experience for some reason. Most people today do all the leg work in the beginning because it is so readily available. However, statistics reveal you end up with an agent when you are ready to purchase. Reason being to represent you, protect you, promote your interests, negoiate good terms and contract, etc...You can't move any faster than when you work with an agent who works full time. I am sorry to hear about your selling experience. A good heart to heart may help. Good luck! In Response to Re: Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?:
    Well, I have heard that an agent could help us find something as soon as it comes on the market, but we are in a position where we have to accept an offer on our condo before we can put one in on a house. We are doing the leg work and researching homes on our own to be ready to choose a home based on what's available when we are ready.  We want to be able to move fast when that time comes though. We did try to work with our selling agent to find a home, but she has not been helpful at all and we are better off doing it on our own. I don't get the impression that she will be looking out for out interests, even when we are ready to buy.   
    Posted by tibird

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

Happens ALL the time. A good buyer's agent will always have eyes open and ears to the ground waiting for a home that fits their buyer's needs/wishes. You snooze - you lose!In Response to Re: Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?:
    Don't underestimate the power that local realtors have.  They get the scoop on what's coming up for sale from other agents at their office, broker open houses, etc.  What might show up as 'new' on MLS might already be under agreement because a local agent had a buyer in mind before the house even hit MLS.  Just my two cents. 
    Posted by rodman75

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

In Response to Re: Buyers & Sellers: How did you find the agent to represent you?:
    Most people today do all the leg work in the beginning because it is so readily available. However, statistics reveal you end up with an agent when you are ready to purchase. Reason being to represent you, protect you, promote your interests, negoiate good terms and contract, etc...You can't move any faster than when you work with an agent who works full time.  :
    Posted by MarieZorn

Oh, we will end up working with a realtor to buy, but most likely we will do the research & find the home we want to purchase before contacting them.  Unless the homes we have already put on our "yes" list go off the market before we accept an offer on the condo.
    Since we won't (hopefully) need assistance in finding a home, only the purchasing of it, we will most likely go with one of the companies that offers us a percentage back on our purchase price for using them.

Sections
Shortcuts