Home Staging

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhwilly. Show jhwilly's posts

Home Staging

I am considering using a stager to help sell my home and was wondering if anyone has had any luck staging their homes.  Did your home sell quickly?  Did you get close to asking price?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Re: Home Staging

No personal experience with staging but I commend you on what I believe is a necessary expense in today's market.  Just remember that staging really begins on the outside.  Be mindful about the appearance of your landscape and overall curb appeal.  A home that looks good on the outside sends a signal to potential buyers that the home was well taken care of & piques their curiosity as to what the inside looks like.  Staging might not get you your asking price, but it very well could get your house under agreement a lot sooner than without.  Good luck with the sale!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBO-IN-01864. Show FSBO-IN-01864's posts

In Response to Home Staging:
    I am considering using a stager to help sell my home and was wondering if anyone has had any luck staging their homes.  Did your home sell quickly?  Did you get close to asking price?
    Posted by jhwilly

When it was time to put my property on the market, I had the same exact thought. However, I decided to do it by myself and I'm glad I did. I get so many compliments on the property that makes me feel good for all the effort I put into it. It takes time to sell a home but I believe that it helps tremendously when the home is staged well. It's not easy to stage your home and it definitely takes time if you have it. Here are some suggestions:
    1. Remove or store away any clutter
    2. Make sure every room has just the "right" amount of furniture and decoration.   Not too much and not too little!
    3. Decorate and make sure to "bring out" the special features of your home

If you would like, you can check my property to get some ideas: www.28valleyrd.com

Good Luck

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ce0. Show ce0's posts

There are so many shows on HGTV that show you how to stage your home.  I would go on line and watch some of these shows and do it myself.  I learned a lot from Get it Sold and Designed to Sell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stamendment. Show 1stamendment's posts

Also, remember to put away photos or items with your name on them.  Declutter whatever is on your refrigerator, and counters.  That is usually a part of staging.  Isn't there a show on tv, one of the home shows on this?

Good luck, and Happy selling!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stamendment. Show 1stamendment's posts

One more thing, while decluttering is important, you still want it to look like someone is living there.  If they feel the person is not living there, they may bid accordingly feeling the person is anxious to sell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We did not hire anyone to do this for our condo when we put it on the market, but did it ourselves. Some of the things we did.

1. Make the rooms feel more open: we took out things like a large ottoman that went with a chair, extra things like toaster ovens on the counter, and closet clutter.  

2. Clean up closets: I went to the container store and bought decorative storage boxes to put in the closets. We hid all the extra clothes on shelves as well as things like sweatshirts and shoes.  It made the closets look so organized on the cheap, and you will use these bins again. Hidden shoe racks are a good idea too.
    You can do this for pantries too, buy baskets to put cans ect. in. Closets are a huge deal to most people, and they want to see how they can maximize their storage space. 

3. Hang curtains high and wide.  Christmas tree shop is a great place for long sheer curtains. White is the best to brighten up a room.  If you hang them with a rod a few inches on the outside of the window on the sides (4-6 inches out and up). It makes the room look bigger.   I did this for our living room and bedroom and the buyer of our condo asked to keep the window treatments! 

4. Make decorations look purposeful.  A group of three items is more appealing to the eye.  If you have a lamp on a table for example, add a small vase and picture frame next to it.   Take out things like dried flowers, cutesy nick-knacks, or dust collectors.   

5. Lastly I'll repeat about clutter.  You want to make others feel that they could make this place their own, less is more!!  

These are easy fixes, but if your place is really dated, like your bathroom for example, you could paint the vanity wood a dark color. Same goes for the kitchen, you could paint the cabinets and add new hardware.   If you have crazy paint colors, pick more neutrals to use throughout the house.  These take more time, but surely will make a difference.  Good luck! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fojus10. Show fojus10's posts

As a South End real estate broker for over 18 years, I can tell you that of all the things you can do to help your home sell quickly, staging it is near the top!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iggyboston1. Show iggyboston1's posts

In Response to Re: Home Staging:

I went to the site of your home and found every text book error one can make in staging. The amont of bright orange on the walls, curtains etc is going to be a turn off to a lot of people. The idea with staging is to make the house appealing and not to insert strong personal design statements. Maybe, the bright orange walls might look good in a high rise condo in Miami (doubtful, but who knows) but in a colonial in Massachusetts, they look jarring.

In Response to Home Staging : When it was time to put my property on the market, I had the same exact thought. However, I decided to do it by myself and I'm glad I did. I get so many compliments on the property that makes me feel good for all the effort I put into it. It takes time to sell a home but I believe that it helps tremendously when the home is staged well. It's not easy to stage your home and it definitely takes time if you have it. Here are some suggestions: 1. Remove or store away any clutter 2. Make sure every room has just the "right" amount of furniture and decoration.   Not too much and not too little! 3. Decorate and make sure to "bring out" the special features of your home If you would like, you can check my property to get some ideas: www.28valleyrd.com Good Luck
    Posted by FSBO-IN-01864

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBO-IN-01864. Show FSBO-IN-01864's posts

I am sorry that you don't like what I've done to the property and I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never claimed that I was an expert on staging but I was simply stating my opinion and thoughts on the subject. That's what forums are about anyway. By the way, I get nothing but compliments on the property.

In Response to Re: Home Staging : I went to the site of your home and found every text book error one can make in staging. The amont of bright orange on the walls, curtains etc is going to be a turn off to a lot of people. The idea with staging is to make the house appealing and not to insert strong personal design statements. Maybe, the bright orange walls might look good in a high rise condo in Miami (doubtful, but who knows) but in a colonial in Massachusetts, they look jarring.
    Posted by iggyboston1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sesvv. Show sesvv's posts

I thought it looked fabulous!!!  Wanted to show to my wife, but didn't want her to love it and start pressing me to want to move!  ;)

Good luck!!!!

I am sorry that you don't like what I've done to the property and I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never claimed that I was an expert on staging but I was simply stating my opinion and thoughts on the subject. That's what forums are about anyway. By the way, I get nothing but compliments on the property. In Response to Re: Home Staging :
    Posted by FSBO-IN-01864

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBO-IN-01864. Show FSBO-IN-01864's posts

I really appreciate your input. Thank you

I thought it looked fabulous!!!  Wanted to show to my wife, but didn't want her to love it and start pressing me to want to move!  ;) Good luck!!!! In Response to Re: Home Staging :
    Posted by sesvv

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ms-Demeanor. Show Ms-Demeanor's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it looked fabulous!!!  Wanted to show to my wife, but didn't want her to love it and start pressing me to want to move!  ;) Good luck!!!! In Response to Re: Home Staging :
    Posted by sesvv[/QUOTE]

I think you did a great job. I've been house-hunting for awhile, and nothing is more of a turn-off than seeing everything painted white. Until I realized that these houses were staged by decorators who think all buyers are dim-witted zombies, I figured that people with decorating phobias must be living in all these boring, primer-colored spaces. You made some strong color choices but they add character and warm up those large rooms. And they are tasteful — unlike certain screaming-purple kitchens I've also seen! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FSBO-IN-01864. Show FSBO-IN-01864's posts

Thank you very much for your input. Good luck with your house search.

In Response to Re: Home Staging : I think you did a great job. I've been house-hunting for awhile, and nothing is more of a turn-off than seeing everything painted white. Until I realized that these houses were staged by decorators who think all buyers are dim-witted zombies, I figured that people with decorating phobias must be living in all these boring, primer-colored spaces. You made some strong color choices but they add character and warm up those large rooms. And they are tasteful — unlike certain screaming-purple kitchens I've also seen! 
    Posted by Ms-Demeanor

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

It has been my experience that homes sell faster and on average for 20% more than homes that are not staged. It is an exclusive & complimentary  benefit to all my clients who hire me to market their home. I have seen homes that have been "staged" and have no appeal what so ever. Just plain vanilla isn't appealing either! And others that just have the "WOW" factor. Hire a professional. Its like, I wouldn't tell a carpenter which tool to use-so I couldn't tell you which way to set up a room. I'm getting better at it since all my listings are staged, but I defer to the professional.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJLen. Show JJLen's posts

FSBO, I think the critical comment above was intended to be constructive. Because it is very true that some people will absolutely love the walls. But some people absolutely won't. That doesn't matter at all when it's your house that you're living in -- who cares who doesn't like it, as long as you love it? But the point of staging is to help make your home as appealing as possible to the largest number of people. Being a distinctive decorator is great for your home, but maybe not the best choice when it's time to get ready to sell. 

I think you've done well with your decorating, but some people just can't see past a seller's decorating choices, and so you unintentionally limit your pool of buyers when you do something out of the ordinary. (But again, your decorating is done well, so I doubt you've alienating tons of buyers. The orange-toned walls are not garish, and they complement the furniture, etc you have. But most people should honestly stick with more neutral colors --  not white, just neutral)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Suninwest. Show Suninwest's posts

wow.... the home looks awesome.. i'm book marking the link to show to my wife - she'll get ideas for sure!

Thanks

[QUOTE]In Response to Home Staging : When it was time to put my property on the market, I had the same exact thought. However, I decided to do it by myself and I'm glad I did. I get so many compliments on the property that makes me feel good for all the effort I put into it. It takes time to sell a home but I believe that it helps tremendously when the home is staged well. It's not easy to stage your home and it definitely takes time if you have it. Here are some suggestions: 1. Remove or store away any clutter 2. Make sure every room has just the "right" amount of furniture and decoration.   Not too much and not too little! 3. Decorate and make sure to "bring out" the special features of your home If you would like, you can check my property to get some ideas: www.28valleyrd.com Good Luck
    Posted by FSBO-IN-01864[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martha1. Show Martha1's posts

We hope to move back to metro Boston in a few years.

I know that staging increases the sale price of your home - or, I see that claim on HDTV and in all manner of articles about selling your house.

But, for those of us who don't have the room to "pack away clutter" and remove some furniture from room, staging is an expensive and (for those of us who are over 60 and have aching joints) physically taxing job.

Plus, we have 8 cats and a dog and the hell I am going to put them somewhere else (remove them) for an open house!  Grrrr!  I sound like my little dog LOL!

I really think that selling your house is such a huge pain in the neck and we have decided to only fix the thing (there are not many) that need to be fixed, and sell it just as it is, with it neat and tidy, but no storing or "staging".  No, I don't think so!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Martha - I am with you on this one! 
    We have de-cluttered our condo a great deal and have organized storage for things.  But, we live there.  As do our 2 dogs and guinea pig.  If we are around for showings, or during an open house, we will take the dogs to the park.  Otherwise they will be there, crated and curious, but it is the best we can do. 

As a buyer, I have no problem with homes that are "lived in".  Neat is better, or course, but some personal touches are fine.  In some places it was even beneficial to see how the sellers had thigns set up.
    Staging can be fantastic, but we walked into a "Better Homes & Gardens" spread at one place.  We fell in love, but after 5 minutes thought to ourselves - there is no way it would look like this if we lived here.  Way too impractical!

Sections
Shortcuts