Thoughts on Framingham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

Thoughts on Framingham

I have noticed that Framingham seems to have the "most bang for the buck" for homes <$400K.  My wife and I both work in Boston and we have a one year old child.  Curious to know if you were in our situation would you move there?  Anyone currently living in Framingham: pros and cons?  Schools?  Thank you very much.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Re: Thoughts on Framingham

Framingham does have a lot of bang for your buck.  That being said, If I were you I'd concentrate my focus on certain areas of Framingham.  The Sudbury line section of Framingham is really nice, especially off of Landham Rd (Catherine Rd, Mary Agnes, etc) but most of those houses are built on slabs.  Saxonville is also nice and offers more split level homes.  Framingham properties all seem to have enormous back yards which is great for children but also more yard maintenance. 

Don't rule out Waltham.  The two cities are very similar in terms of demographics but Waltham's tax base is cheaper and they provide excellent services, including leaf pick up!  Again, like Framingham, I'd concentrate on certain areas of Waltham.  You can't go wrong on the north side of Waltham.  Anything off of Trapelo Rd from the Lincoln line to the Belmont line is highly desirable.  Waltham's property values are stronger than Framingham's and the city is much closer to Boston.  The houses are comparable but in Framingham you'll get 15,000 sq. ft of land while for the same price in Waltham you'll get 5000-7500 sq ft. 

Both communities are nice but I'd have to give the edge to Waltham as the house will hold its value better and is closer to Boston.  Good luck! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

Thank you Rodman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from McGroryIsAMcMoron. Show McGroryIsAMcMoron's posts

I've also noticed that Framingham has some nice areas (mainly the northern parts) with great bang for buck, but I've heard bad things about the schools and about the downtown area where the commuter rail station is located (gangs, crime, etc.) so I've abandoned looking in Framingham in favor of Natick.  Good luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

Thank you!  We are still all over the map.  Looking in Natick/Framingham as well as Norwood and Walpole.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Natick has a really nice town center, that has had a lot of updates in terms of roads, sidewalks & municipal buildings. It's on the Commuter Rail, it's schools are well regarded. I would guess that it's probably more expensive than either Walpole or Norwood. I live next to Walpole, and if we were looking again I would definitely be considering it more seriously. It has a lot of great housing options, from new development to older, more established neighborhoods. Generally, lot sizes are pretty large, it has a commuter rail stop (which my husband uses - it has been very reliable, in our experience) and easy highway access. Plus, real estate taxes are (relatively) reasonable compared to neighboring communities. I don't know a whole lot about the schools, though, although I haven't heard anything negative.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with the N. vs S. Framingham comments.

I'd live in Framingham (and rented there for about 2 years).  Of course, you'd look at places first and get to know the areas you'd be comfortable in.  There are many nice areas that aren't spoiled by the not so nice ones.  

And, furthermore, I commuted on Rt 9 and 128 to Needham.  Rt 9 was hardly ever really backed up, and if you go before 7 am, it's a breeze.  Afternoons are not as easy, but still not a nightmare.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lawabiding. Show Lawabiding's posts

North Framingham is very nice and a great place to bring up children...I personally like the area from Belknap Rd and off that street down Rt 30 to Pheasant Hill area...
    Lots are very large homes are spacious a nice place to live in...
    School system is only fair not great!
    There are a couple of parochial schools and Marian High School and all are very good...
    I also like it as it is close to many shopping centers and roads if you work on Rt 30 or Mass Pike, Rt 20 ...it is centrally loacated...excellent prices for nice homes...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJLen. Show JJLen's posts

If you are looking also at Natick, Norwood, and Walpole -- buy in any of those 3 instead. Framingham schools have some challenges that the other 3 do not have (Walpole being the best of the bunch for schools, IMO). And the other 3 towns are safer, too. Framingham isn't a slum, but it does have some gang issues. With a family, I think the other towns you have on your list are better. And if you work in Boston, the commute from Norwood or Walpole is *far* better than from Framingham anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  We found he perfect house on a perfect street in Framingham.  We close in early August.  So excited.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Congrats on the house!!! When you're ready to do some remodeling I know an EXCELLENT contractor who has done work on both my house and my parents.  Honest, reliable and extremely competent and reasonably priced and based out of Framingham!