Cabinet refacing; does it look good or cheesy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rodman75. Show rodman75's posts

Cabinet refacing; does it look good or cheesy?

I'm thinking of having my kitchen cabinets refaced.   I have solid wood cabinets that are probably 5-7 years old (were put in by previous owner).   I'm looking to go darker, maybe mocha or espresso.  Instead of ripping out perfectly good cabinets, I'm thinking of the refacing route.  Has anyone had their cabinets refaced?  Did it come out good?  Were you satisfied?  My fear is that it will come out cheap looking, almost plastic/laminate looking.  Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronrsr14. Show ronrsr14's posts

Re: Cabinet refacing; does it look good or cheesy?

I have seen both good- and awful-looking cabinet refacing.  If it's done well, with good doors and hardware, it can be indistinguishable from new cabinets.

bests,
    -rsr-
    Ron Rothenberg
    Exclusive Buyer Broker
    4buyers R. E.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

Hi rodman,
    I did it myself and was tatally satisfied. I have also seen other clients reface and also paint over wood cabinets, change hardware and they look brand new. Go for it, its cost effective, especially if the cabinets are newer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleanfreak. Show cleanfreak's posts

I had it done by Home Depot around 7 years ago replacing white laminate from 1989 with shaker style solid wood doors plus drawer fronts.  They also built an additional cabinet with a drawer for me.  There have been nothing but compliments since then, and they have stood the test of time; however, for the price I paid IKEA could have replaced the entire kitchen plus new appliances.   It was not the first time I had had kitchen cabinets replaced and have been very satisfied both times.   You could also hire a good painter and have your existing cabinets repainted for much less money, put on great looking hardware, and you have a new looking kitchen.

Sections
Shortcuts