Appropriate Application Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Appropriate Application Questions

I'm about to rent out my condo and downloaded some forms (for a small fee) to use.  As I look at the Application I see it's asking for SSN's, DOB,  and Credit Card account numbers and balances.

It's been at least 18 years since I was a renter and maybe identity theft wasn't as big a problem.  But I think I would have trouble giving out that kind of information to anyone myself. I get worked up just giving SSN's to Verizon, among others.

On the other hand I do want to know that anyone I rent to is going to pay me on time every month.

So are these questions fair?  Legal?

TIA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarieZorn. Show MarieZorn's posts

Re: Appropriate Application Questions

I would probably never give out that kind of information to a landlord who was trying to rent out his place himself. I am just like you too paranoid. However at real estate offices I think they do ask for this info and get it to do credit checks and then shred and never leave it on an app- it gets blacked out everywhere after the credit check is done, I believe this is the case. I don't do rentals on regular basis so I would check it out. Don't you think its going to be hard to get this information to do a thorough background check to make sure the tenant as you say will pay you on time? I guess even that isn't a guarantee!In Response to Appropriate Application Questions:
    [QUOTE]I'm about to rent out my condo and downloaded some forms (for a small fee) to use.  As I look at the Application I see it's asking for SSN's, DOB,  and Credit Card account numbers and balances. It's been at least 18 years since I was a renter and maybe identity theft wasn't as big a problem.  But I think I would have trouble giving out that kind of information to anyone myself. I get worked up just giving SSN's to Verizon, among others. On the other hand I do want to know that anyone I rent to is going to pay me on time every month. So are these questions fair?  Legal? TIA.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Thanks Marie!  I wasn't sure what I'd do with much of that information, especially since I found I couldn't run a credit report w/o permission.  I suspect in a few more weeks I'm just going to bite the bullet and do what I should've done from the start, and that's to get an agent to list the place for me. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Be careful with that Slim!  I have had an agent lie to me and coach the prospective tenant in order to get them into the apt.  The realtor came recomended, but she has managed to get me 2 unreliable tenants in under a year.  Next time I'm going through Craig's List...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom8482. Show Tom8482's posts

In Response to Appropriate Application Questions:

Just my five cents - as a person who has rented out a 1 bedroom apt since 1980 to various tenants (using real estate agents and renting the apt on my own) I can assure you that people who look great on paper don't always end up paying their rent on time.  You can use other methods to determine their payment history if you don't feel comfortable asking those questions.  That said, my advice is to confirm employment - ask the applicant to supply the name, telephone, and address of current and past place of employment.  Call, ask for the supervisor, verify that the name given by the tenant is the supervisor/personnel person and then verify that they do work there and if possible can they tell you how long has this person been working there (I always tell the supervisor that this person is applying to rent an apt in my building).  I would also Google the name of the company before calling so you know this is a real place of business and not some friend answering the phone.  The BetterBusinessBureau.org may have the company listed, including the name of the supervisor.  As far as salary goes, you can't always determine their ability to pay rent based on that alone because today some people get help from relatives or other legal sources of income, or their job status changes (as in unemployment).  Ask the prospective tenant about previous landlords - name, number and address.  Call and ask if they paid their rent on time.  That is all information the previous landlords can legally give you. It's totally a gamble..years ago we had a highly vouched for stock broker/ivy grad take an apt and he promptly gave us bad checks for the first, last and security deposit amounts. I've also seen real estate agents have a parent co-sign the lease for a tenant, so legally there are other people held responsible if the tenant defaults.  DOB's are available online free at birthdatabase.com if they are over 18 and peoplefinders.com is also a great site (but don't sign up for anything or pay because these sites are free online in many places). Linkedin.com is a great site for seeing what a person writes about themselves for employment and education (not everyone belongs but many do).  The national sex offender registry is at nsopw.gov and is another investigative tool.  Everyone looks impeccable when they come to see the apt but then move in day arrives we hope we made the right choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Thanks again for all the responses and tips.   I actually did list it on Craig's List and the response rate has been outstanding!  And it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling to see the emails coming from various .com workplaces.  Now I have to figure out who I can really trust, but it appears I'll have multiple good choices.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronrsr14. Show ronrsr14's posts

Some of that info you may not want to know -- I would never ask birthdate, etc., as it might open you up for an age discrimination lawsuit -- bank account numbers, etc., require special handling in Massachusetts.

I've always used the latest RHA (Rental Housing Association) application forms, since they are revised to comply with the laws as the laws changed.  I always price my apartment $50/month below the going rate, so I have lots of applicants.   I always get a credit report - and the only time I had a problem in 25 years was when I broke my own rules.

bests,
    -rsr-
    Ron R

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldwatson015. Show donaldwatson015's posts

When it comes to credit card number i think that is quite risky cause now a days there are many people who are scamming and credit card is one of their favorite to scam .In fact one of my real estate agent friend at http://www.vivalkv.fi/ is been victim of some scam about giving the information of his credit card and i feel bad for him.

Sections
Shortcuts