Can I Do AND Rent This...legally?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2543662. Show user_2543662's posts

Can I Do AND Rent This...legally?

If I OWN AND LIVE IN THE HOUSE, can I do the following:

Convert a single family home (4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom) into a 6 bedroom, 2 full bathroom (install another bathroom without pulling permits) and LEGALLY rent out 5 of the 6 bedrooms while I live in the 6th???

Any advice would be of huge help.

Thanks!
    R.Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from evensen. Show evensen's posts

Re: Can I Do AND Rent This...legally?

No, and no.
    A new bathroom requires permits and inspections for plumbing and electrical work.

If you mean 5 bedrooms rented to five different people, then no. That would be a boarding house and would require more inspections and permits.

That being said, you could easily find someone to install a bathroom without permits. You could then rent out rooms as you see fit and take your chances.
    You could also then loose everything when one of your tenants figures out what you did and what you are doing and takes a fall in your new unapproved shower.
    He will then own the whole mess anfd probably do what you were doing for the next 30 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2543662. Show user_2543662's posts

In Response to Re: Can I Do AND Rent This...legally?:
    [QUOTE]No, and no. A new bathroom requires permits and inspections for plumbing and electrical work. If you mean 5 bedrooms rented to five different people, then no. That would be a boarding house and would require more inspections and permits. That being said, you could easily find someone to install a bathroom without permits. You could then rent out rooms as you see fit and take your chances. You could also then loose everything when one of your tenants figures out what you did and what you are doing and takes a fall in your new unapproved shower. He will then own the whole mess anfd probably do what you were doing for the next 30 years.
    Posted by evensen[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for this info. Do you think that means any and all leases that were signed are null and void as well?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from evensen. Show evensen's posts

You will be required to honor the leases, but if they find out you did the work without permits, you will not be able to make them honor the leases.

If you are just renting bedrooms, with one shared bathroom, why not just do month to month?

The LAST thing you want to happen is be dragged into legal proceedings.
    You will be at huge disadvantage because of not having the work done properly.
    Have you met all the requirements for smoke detectors for instance? Are you paying proper sewer fees for that many rental units....   the list goes on and on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cedrikduncan011. Show cedrikduncan011's posts

That going to be complicated and i am agree that new bathroom will need a permit cause the last time that i migrate in Finland using moving company at http://www.niemi.fi/ i experience a huge trouble because of the tenant for not getting permit on his apartment.