_

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

_

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back

If Savard heard that this would be his line when he returns the headaches would come back but with much more pain LoL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Savard doesn't need a bodyguard, he needs a goal-scorer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In that scenario, the Bruins might as well be playing shorthanded for all of Savard's shifts. Mcgrattan doesnt bring anything to the ice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I'd say Lucic is enough of an enforcer on a Lucic-Savard-Horton line. Horton is no shrinking violet, either. McGrattan? It would be like when they put Bitz up there. No thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Only problem would be that neither of those guys can score...

The only time that Savard was any good statwise was when Kovalchuk and Kessel put the puck in the net for him...

You, folks, ain't too bright...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back:
    [QUOTE]I'd say Lucic is enough of an enforcer on a Lucic-Savard-Horton line. Horton is no shrinking violet, either. McGrattan? It would be like when they put Bitz up there. No thanks.
    Posted by bear-in-the-woods[/QUOTE]

Bitz was better then mcgrattan.. But I think bruins fans are looking at Hortons Size and getting ahead of themselves, 42 pims last year, yahoo is showing him with 34 hits, there have been questions surroundig  his "heart" in terms of his play, maybe he turns it on here, but hes not a physical player, Ryder is credited with 109 hits last season and look at all the comments that go his way...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Only problem would be that neither of those guys can score... The only time that Savard was any good statwise was when Kovalchuk and Kessel put the puck in the net for him... You, folks, ain't too bright...
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

We're not to bright? savards best year with the bruins kessel ammased an incredible 11 goals, your right he deserves alot of credit for savards 96 points.. Murray was the bruins leading goal scorer played in only 58 games..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Only problem would be that neither of those guys can score... The only time that Savard was any good statwise was when Kovalchuk and Kessel put the puck in the net for him... You, folks, ain't too bright...
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

You saying anyone "ain't too bright" is like Matt Cooke calling someone a cheap-shot artist. Or Michael Jackson calling somebody weird. (Yes, I know he's dead!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : Bitz was better then mcgrattan.. But I think bruins fans are looking at Hortons Size and getting ahead of themselves, 42 pims last year, yahoo is showing him with 34 hits, there have been questions surroundig  his "heart" in terms of his play, maybe he turns it on here, but hes not a physical player, Ryder is credited with 109 hits last season and look at all the comments that go his way...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree that Horton's not the most physical player in the world, but I can't stand the "hits" stat. I recall going to a game last year in which Sobotka threw at least four solid checks in the first period alone and was credited with something like one hit for the entire game. Terrible, terrible stat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

You're right.  That is crazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : I don't disagree that Horton's not the most physical player in the world, but I can't stand the "hits" stat. I recall going to a game last year in which Sobotka threw at least four solid checks in the first period alone and was credited with something like one hit for the entire game. Terrible, terrible stat.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  This stat is well known to be a heavily weigthed 'homer' stat.  I bet the game you saw was on the road.

Just another example that many stats are only to be used as guidelines and not gospel.

I'm hoping that Lucic's enthusiastic hitting will be contagious and help Horton ramp up his physical game a little.  That'll give Krejci lots of room to work his magic with them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : I don't disagree that Horton's not the most physical player in the world, but I can't stand the "hits" stat. I recall going to a game last year in which Sobotka threw at least four solid checks in the first period alone and was credited with something like one hit for the entire game. Terrible, terrible stat.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.. there is no great "definition" of what defines a hit that gets credited, but the overall, is pretty legit, sobotka got credited for 136 hits last season, ryder for 109, ovechkin for 185, kessel for 13, horton for 34..

so even if you dont trust the stat, its still a fair "gauge".. 34 hits, don't expect a lot..wheeler threw 70, krejci 82..

or like i said maybe the change of scenery, playing with lucic etc, will get him amped and he will throw it around, but wouldnt count on it..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : Agreed.  This stat is well known to be a heavily weigthed 'homer' stat.  I bet the game you saw was on the road. Just another example that many stats are only to be used as guidelines and not gospel. I'm hoping that Lucic's enthusiastic hitting will be contagious and help Horton ramp up his physical game a little.  That'll give Krejci lots of room to work his magic with them.
    Posted by RascalHoudi[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was at the Garden, but from what I've seen over the past couple of years, Boston is not a "homer" place for the hits stat. It's certainly probable that other venues are. I don't know who keeps that stat at the Garden, but I've always thought he's spending half his time getting the press box refreshments.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : Actually, it was at the Garden, but from what I've seen over the past couple of years, Boston is not a "homer" place for the hits stat. It's certainly probable that other venues are. I don't know who keeps that stat at the Garden, but I've always thought he's spending half his time getting the press box refreshments.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

The Rangers have a ridiculous homer keeping the stats on hits.  All these softy-type Ranger defensmen were among the league leaders in hits last year -- Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi. etc.  It's been a totally arbitrary stat...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : The Rangers have a ridiculous homer keeping the stats on hits.  All these softy-type Ranger defensmen were among the league leaders in hits last year -- Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi. etc.  It's been a totally arbitrary stat...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Look out for Gilroy to lead the league in hits

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Mcgrattan is, well, not exactly first line quality.

Do this, pick any team in the NHL, write down the forwards on the top line, add in the name Mcgrattan and play the game "One of these Guys is not like the Others", repeat this process and you will see a pattern forming...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Idea For When Savard Comes Back : Bitz was better then mcgrattan.. But I think bruins fans are looking at Hortons Size and getting ahead of themselves, 42 pims last year, yahoo is showing him with 34 hits, there have been questions surroundig  his "heart" in terms of his play, maybe he turns it on here, but hes not a physical player, Ryder is credited with 109 hits last season and look at all the comments that go his way...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Bitz, he's definitely a better player than McG, but he's not going to put up a bunch of goals either. What I was trying to say is I don't want to see that situation play out again, where they're putting a non-skilled player with Savard.

I didn't mean to imply that Horton was a beast or anything, just that he's not exactly soft. He was throwing his body around a bit in the pre-season games I watched, which was good to see. Hopefully Lucic will rub off on him. I do, however, supect that Horton doesn't get overly physical due to the shoulder problems he's had in the past.

I'm not a Ryder fan, but I think he gets less credit than he deserves for some of his physical play. No, he's not out there crushing people, but he's not afraid to hit and go in the corners. What drives me crazy about Ryder is sometimes he'll get the puck and skate all over the zone trying to set himself up for a shot instead of setting up his teammates. Then he clanks it off the post or shoots into the goalie's chest, lol. Hopefully he'll get his scoring touch back this year, but from what I've seen in the pre-season, he was a non-factor.

Sections
Shortcuts