"Savard for Kaberle makes too much sense."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McKodiak5. Show McKodiak5's posts

"Savard for Kaberle makes too much sense."

ESPN Rumor Mill reporting that the Savard for Kaberle deal makes too much sense not to happen. I wonder if they are ignoring the fact that the Bruins hold Toronto's 2011 first round pick and would be making them better. I'd really like to see a Lucic-Savard-Horton first line too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: "Savard for Kaberle makes too much sense."

makes no sense....and im a huge kaberele fan...but you move savard..you are bringing back more slaary and you are taking a big gamble on mr seguin being as good as advertised...putting way to much pressure on the kid to step and and be 3rd line center...not to mention didnt we learn last season you can never have enough bodies...with all these injuries..if krejci (coming off surgery) and or bergeron are out for any amount of time we would be doomed...as much as id like seguin to carry us...hes not that guy this season..and lastly marc savard has some serious game left..hes a point a game guy who can flat out play...look at the pp numbers last yr when he was in the lineup and when he was out... you keep 91 for sure

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sort-Dem-Out. Show Sort-Dem-Out's posts

Consider the messenger - ESPN is useless. How does this deal make sense? The B's are solid at D and have 6 D-men signed. The B's need scoring, so they should dish their top play-maker to a division rival??? When you factor in the fact that B's hold the Leafs top pick, why would we make them better? Reuniting Savi & Kessel is not a good idea for anyone but the Leafs. We don't need Kaberle, he's not that great. I thought the whole idea of trading Savi was to get enough cap space to sign a scoring winger? This is a terrible idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Fluto apparently is on that bus: "The Maple Leafs continue to hold out for a better return, but the trade makes too much sense not to happen."
    Given the similarities is wording, I suspect that the people at ESPN are just reading online articles and picking out the 'juicy' bits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Too much sense" =

Chiarelli has mentioned looking for an upgrade in skill on the blueline, he has previously expressed interest in acquiring Kaberle, and he has been looking for possible Savard trading partners.  Savard has agreed to waive his NTC for two teams, one is Toronto, where he would easily slot in as 1st line centre alongside some guy named Kessel.  Before the Bruins signed him long term, there was speculation that Burke would "steal" Savard as an FA to play with Kessel and make Chiarelli look stupid for letting Kessel go.

Weigh that against the Bruins having the Leaf 2011 1st rounder, 3 years of facing a Savard-Kessel line six times a year, Kaberle being on the last year of a contract that many people say is "under market," meaning he'll cost more to re-sign if that's what you're thinking, and Kaberle's lack of "truculence."Also, Chiarelli would then need to trade one of his defensemen to clear the salary that this deal wouldn't and open up a blueline spot for Kaberle.

I'd say you think that through and boil it down to this question: Are the Bruins in a better position to win the Stanley Cup with their top three lines centred by Savard, Krejci, and Bergeron with Seguin on the wing and Ryder in Providence or elsewhere and a blueline of Chara, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk, Ference, and Hunwick, or are they better off with a Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, both Wheeler and Ryder on the wings, and a blueline of Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk, and either Hunwick or Ference?  Frankly I like option one on it's own merits regardless of the fact that it doesn't help the Leafs.  I like that it doesn't help the Leafs, too.

In other words, like most things that make "too much sense", this makes no sense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would make this deal.  Kaberle is a solid puck-moving D-man that is a UFA after the season, which is a good thing.  If it doesn't work out here, either trade him at the deadline or let him walk at the end of the year.  Remember, we have 6 D-men under contract, one is Hunwick and one is Ference.  Not exactly the final D pairing that strikes confidence, plus Ference is so often injured.

The salaries are almost identical, Kaberle makes less that $250k more than Savvy.

Pencilling Seguin in as 3rd-line center, flanked with Recchi on one side hardly feels like putting too much pressure on him.  Where else would you suggest he play?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

In Response to Re: "Savard for Kaberle makes too much sense.":
    "Too much sense" = Chiarelli has mentioned looking for an upgrade in skill on the blueline, he has previously expressed interest in acquiring Kaberle, and he has been looking for possible Savard trading partners.  Savard has agreed to waive his NTC for two teams, one is Toronto, where he would easily slot in as 1st line centre alongside some guy named Kessel.  Before the Bruins signed him long term, there was speculation that Burke would "steal" Savard as an FA to play with Kessel and make Chiarelli look stupid for letting Kessel go. Weigh that against the Bruins having the Leaf 2011 1st rounder, 3 years of facing a Savard-Kessel line six times a year, Kaberle being on the last year of a contract that many people say is "under market," meaning he'll cost more to re-sign if that's what you're thinking, and Kaberle's lack of "truculence."Also, Chiarelli would then need to trade one of his defensemen to clear the salary that this deal wouldn't and open up a blueline spot for Kaberle. I'd say you think that through and boil it down to this question: Are the Bruins in a better position to win the Stanley Cup with their top three lines centred by Savard, Krejci, and Bergeron with Seguin on the wing and Ryder in Providence or elsewhere and a blueline of Chara, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk, Ference, and Hunwick, or are they better off with a Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, both Wheeler and Ryder on the wings, and a blueline of Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg, Stuart, Boychuk, and either Hunwick or Ference?  Frankly I like option one on it's own merits regardless of the fact that it doesn't help the Leafs.  I like that it doesn't help the Leafs, too. In other words, like most things that make "too much sense", this makes no sense.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Total sense.  Two of the bigger issues at stake are Seguin's development as well as having the Bruins in the best position to challenge for the cup.  Keeping Savard and putting Seguin on the wing addresses both of those issues.  Savard's offence is a big plus, and in the seeminlgy inevitablilty of one of Bergeron Krejci or Savard getting injured, then Seguin can step into a 3rd line centre role.    If Savard was traded, then any injur pushes Seguin up to a 2nd line centre by default.  If he happens to blow Claude away with his play and earn the 2nd line spot, that would be great.  I just would like to avoid pushing him into it unnecessarily (via injury)  until he has earned it.

To keep Savard means that Timmy or Ryder has to go, so I think it's bye bye Michael.

After the season, PC can 'evaluate' the play of his centres and perhaps that will be the time to deal away Savard.  Potentially, next years cap space won't have those sizeable chunks eaten up by Savard, Thomas, Ryder and Sturm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I don't like this deal for Toronto, although it would likely help next year with Savard playing alongside Kessel.

I don't think a $28 million contract that will be locked in will help in the long-term development of the Leaf team and I'm not sure how effective Savard will be 2 years down the line thru to the end of hte contract.  Leafs have enough small centers.

I think Kaberle helps Boston, but not enough to make them Stanley Cup contenders.  He's too soft on defense.  So if he's not the missing piece and will demand a much higher cap hit and the deal helps Toronto move up in the standings next year what's the upside for Boston?

I think its a bad deal for both teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Kaberle is marshmallow soft and overpaid to boot. A trade would make no sense whatsoever for the Bruins. The only way a trade of Savard to anyone would "make sense" would be to provide cap relief. Kaberle would make the situation worse. How does that "make sense," other than provide a tremendous boost to Toronto's offense?

Never mind. There's your answer. The Toronto media rule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Given the similarities is wording, I suspect that the people at ESPN are just reading online articles and picking out the 'juicy' bits."

Funny you mention that DRCC because James Murphy from NESN now writes for ESPN as well. He basically retweets Bob McKenzie and Pierre Lebrun reports.

The Bruins need cap relief plus Burke seems to be looking for a winger. This deal would have been done by now if it was going to happen. Me thinks Chiarelli will deal but it will be during pre-season September camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

"Given the similarities is wording, I suspect that the people at ESPN are just reading online articles and picking out the 'juicy' bits." Funny you mention that DRCC because James Murphy from NESN now writes for ESPN as well. He basically retweets Bob McKenzie and Pierre Lebrun reports. The Bruins need cap relief plus Burke seems to be looking for a winger. This deal would have been done by now if it was going to happen. Me thinks Chiarelli will deal but it will be during pre-season September camp.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I'm still nervous about Savvy being dealt but I'm also hopeful that it won't be for something quite as stupid and self-destructive as Savvy for Kaberle. As has already been mentioned here, making Toronto any better next year makes NO SENSE for the Bruins, who hold the Leafs first round pick. Not to mention the other question marks that Fluto & Co. chose to ignore, such as isn't Seidenberg a puck-moving defenseman? Getting him 100% healthy works almost like a new acquisition since he played so little last year.

I can't stand the "official" media spin on this Savard thing--it truly makes me wonder whether JJ is giving Fluto free hot dogs on the side to report such nonsense as a deal that makes "too much sense."

Amazing. It makes "too much sense" for the team that had the WORST offense in the NHL last year to deal away their most talented offensive player for defense? Really? REALLY? REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY???????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

makes no sense....and im a huge kaberele fan...but you move savard..you are bringing back more slaary and you are taking a big gamble on mr seguin being as good as advertised...putting way to much pressure on the kid to step and and be 3rd line center...not to mention didnt we learn last season you can never have enough bodies...with all these injuries..if krejci (coming off surgery) and or bergeron are out for any amount of time we would be doomed...as much as id like seguin to carry us...hes not that guy this season..and lastly marc savard has some serious game left..hes a point a game guy who can flat out play...look at the pp numbers last yr when he was in the lineup and when he was out... you keep 91 for sure
    Posted by bruins8

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It could make sense if we were talking about completely different players.  If you made the same argument with Bruins' most productive goal-scorer last year (assuming Sturm wasn't injured) and the guy you were dealing for was a Duncan Keith or even a Mike Green who would probably double the goal total of the team's highest scoring D and improve the forward unit's totals as a whole by breaking down defenses with speed, good passes, and generally posing a credible threat that had to be respected. Add, also, that you could probably get at least 60-80% of Sturm's goal total from whoever replaced him, and you're probably not losing any goals from the team total even if the new D doesn't bump everyone else's totals.

But that's not the situation here.  This is trading your point per game #1 C and powerplay kingpin for Tomas Kaberle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRUENMR. Show BRUENMR's posts

This team was horrible without Savard in the line up last year. The PP was the worst (didn't they go 14 pp chances without a goal at one point) and other players production slipped because he was not out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yeah, it makes sense ...  For Toronto

If the bruins trade their best offensive player away for a soft aging Dman with a big contract - then it's obvious that Chiarelli is being directed by Claude, who is not fond of offensively gifted talents. He ran Kessel out of town, and now it seems that Savard is his next target. This team needs offense and some nasty in their game...even considering Savard for Kaberle is troubling, and would only confirm that the two knuckleheads running the show are incompetent. Hey Cam - where are you ???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re:

STAY THE FRICK AWAY FROM KABERLE FOR SAVARD, THIS IS INFINITELY STUPID.

SAVARD TO HELP KESS.
    SAVARD TO HELP BURY OUR DRAFT.

KAB HAS BEEN ON DOWNWARD SLIDE SINCE 2006, TOPS IS 11 GOALS, HOW DOES THIS MAKE HIM A PP SUPERSTAR. BRING BACK WIDEMAN BEFORE YOU BRING IN THIS OVERPAID D CHALLENGED SHIITE. 

PRETTY SURE THEIR IS A GAZILLION REASON NOT TO BRING HIM IN CAN NOT THINK OF 1 REASON FOR NONE HERE HAVE MADE SENSE.

JUST WATCH HIM AND YOU WILL SEE WHY BURKE DOES NOT WANT HIM NOR DO I.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

freakin fonts on this suck2@@. I guess you get my drift that I am totally against this or even the thought of this even being a discussion.

This rates even stupider than NAS's talking about Hamill, we are cap restrained, goal restrained, PP restrained etc.. and this is even a discussion, is beyond it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Savard would make the Leafs significantly better than Kaberle would make the Bruins.

In other words, fantastic deal for Toronto and horrible for Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Agree with the makes no sense votes. IMO Kaberle joining the Bruins and Savard leaving would not make the Bruins a better team offensively. Didn't the Bruins have trouble scoring last year ? Trading Savard for Kaberle would not help the B's with this problem. Although both are good passers , Savard's passes are effective in the offensive zone where Kaberle's are more because of head-manning the puck. If Savard were traded to the Leafs it would give them the center they need to play with Kessel. Same division and holding the Leafs #1 pick next year . Makes no sense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Tell Toronto we will give them Ryder for Kaberle and their first round pick in 2012 through 2019.  I am sure Burke will bite.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm in the "it does not make sense for the Bruins" camp because Kaberle is not who the Bruins want or need. I would like to see Savvy moved, probably in November to fill a specific need that surfaces after integrating Seguin; evaluating Ryder and Wheeler; plus looking at all the curent D-men if necessary

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I figured it out! It's Bizarro World.

On Bizarro World, it "makes too much sense" for you to trade a stupendous asset for an overpaid, soft defenseman, even though you've got six NHL defensemen under contract. On Bizzaro World, you trade a $4 million contract for a $5 million contract to save cap space. You trade your top offensive player (from an offensively challenged team) for a defenseman who has scored 19 goals in three years. On Bizarro World, you give your divisional rival, whose #1 draft choice you posses, the offensive player they need to greatly improve their record. It all makes sense now. Bizarro World!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That thumbnail of Chiarelli over "Hockey Notes" definitely looks like he's from Bizarro World.  You might be on to something.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilsondogg. Show wilsondogg's posts

If the Bruins end up shipping Savard to Toronto it will be just before the trading deadline.  Too many reasons to keep him around, at least at the beginning of the year.  if Toronto does another nosedive and are 15 games back mid-way through the season, there is relatively little Savrd will be able to do top help them overcome it and we'll still be looking at a lottery pick again in 2011.  If Seguin develops as planned and is a steady performer who can step in and handle 4th line center duties, we'll also be more comfortable shipping Savard out.  Couple this with the inevitable injuries that will pile up and the need for more bodies to fill holes, and Savard again becomes quite useful.  Also, it's simply counterintuitive for the worst offensive team in the league to trade a point-per-game producer in the offseason thinking it will help them.  Wouldn't mind seeing Kaberle in a spoked B, but think it's too early to make the deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: "Savard for Kaberle makes too much sense." : I'm still nervous about Savvy being dealt but I'm also hopeful that it won't be for something quite as stupid and self-destructive as Savvy for Kaberle. As has already been mentioned here, making Toronto any better next year makes NO SENSE for the Bruins, who hold the Leafs first round pick. Amazing. It makes "too much sense" for the team that had the WORST offense in the NHL last year to deal away their most talented offensive player for defense? Really? REALLY? REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY??????? Posted by TryToBearIt

TTB, I have read and heard that GMs will let it be known to the press that he's listening to offers on a certain player whom let his chirping go to far with the media "throwing another player under the bus" to smartin that player up.

Detremental for a team to trade a popular player 6 months after convincing them to stay, moving an established point producer form a bad offensive team, anointing 2 young centers to take over the team without a proven track record of consistent years of productivity and not seeing what Savard can do with Horton first ? too many negatives in moving Savard besides Marc's agent announced on Calgary radio his client will not play on the west coast.

Now if Savard doesn't click with Horton, Krejci and Seguin explode out of the gates then we might see the Savard rumors start back up again but only for the right return and that isn't Kabrele.

TTB you might want to rethink Siedenberg he flourished in CJs system. The Bruins get a full year to see the real Sides this upcoming season. I will say that I don't think Ference and Hunwick make it out of camp. Look for PC to sign Mara or Wallin to come in on the cheap for a year plus Mcquaid gets his chance as Chiarelli just recently said he deserves one.

Sections
Shortcuts