"TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL"

In Response to Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL" : i couldn't agree with this guy here anymore!i've said this all along about kessel:gettin' rid of 1-3 guys just to keep kessel the pansy makes no sense whatsoever to me!kobasew has way way more heart for this game than phil will ever have in his lifetime!I'm sorry to say this, but the one to go is bergy unfortunatley.
    Posted by crazybsfan04[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how moving Bergeron to keep Kessel makes more sense on the gritty/pansy scale than moving Kobasew.  If you think he's a pansy, then, well, case closed - Bye-Bye Phillis.

I don't think he's a pansy, but there's no way he will ever take the body.  No way.  And if he did, he'd drop 25% of his goals, not become a 40-50 goal scorer.  He uses his speed in space.  Hard to take off on rushes when you're disentangling yourself from the forechecker in the defensive zone.  As for creating offense single-handedly, you saw games I missed.  Kessel's a luxury, not a necessity.  He's Petr Klima.  Remember Petr Klima?  He's Petr Klima.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Petr Klima's stats, 3rd season in the NHL: 37 goals, 25 assists, 62 pts.
    Phil Kessel's stats, 3rd season in the NHL: 36 goals, 24 assists, 60 pts.

Petr Klima: Height - 6'0"; Weight - 183
    Phil Kessel: Height - 6'0"; Weight - 189

Initials of both players? PK
    Original Six team? Check

He's Petr freaking Klima!  He didn't have mono - he had old-o!  I want a DNA test!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's either Ryder cap casualty, we could get allot in return for him (no major injuries and he doesn't have a no trade clause) and a proven goal scorer. To bad too I like his game although he is streaky and had a bad streak against the Canes but Cap casualty unfortunately. A slow start like last year for Ryder will not bold well again for him this year. Can't have it...

Or I agree with Brunod combination of Kobasew and Ference. Like Kobie but don't like his durability it's an issue. Do not like Ference nor his durability. Cap casualties...

No GM is going to take chances with Bergy and Sturm due to prior major injuries. Savvy is the best pure passing center we've had since Oates. Say it ain't so Jumbo Joe couldn't can't show up in the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL" : I don't understand how moving Bergeron to keep Kessel makes more sense on the gritty/pansy scale than moving Kobasew.  If you think he's a pansy, then, well, case closed - Bye-Bye Phillis. I don't think he's a pansy, but there's no way he will ever take the body.  No way.  And if he did, he'd drop 25% of his goals, not become a 40-50 goal scorer.  He uses his speed in space .  Hard to take off on rushes when you're disentangling yourself from the forechecker in the defensive zone.  As for creating offense single-handedly, you saw games I missed.  Kessel's a luxury, not a necessity.  He's Petr Klima.  Remember Petr Klima?  He's Petr Klima.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

First, it's interesting you consider your leading goal scorer -- in the regular season and the playoffs, even with a torn up shoulder -- to be a luxury.

Second, no, Kessel won't take the body and he'll never be a banger.  But he may be able to improve on digging pucks out of the corner, scrapping for loose pucks in front of the net, hustling back on defense.  And without sacrificing offense, in fact, his production would increase.

Third, you could be right.  He could end up like Petr Klima (by the way, those arent bad stats for a 3rd year player).  If that's what Chiarelli & co. think, they should have traded this guy one-up for Kaberle.  Then again, he could end up like Pavel Bure (ok, maybe a little stretch there).  It'll take the right coaching, the right veteran teammates setting the right example, but Kessel has big upside.  He's come a long way since being benched in the '08 playoffs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jess, number of goals is less interesting to me than the impact of the goals.  Kessel doesn't do poorly on impact with six game-winners, but his overall totals are inflated by the way he scores in bunches against bad teams.  Last year was the first time he topped 20 goals, and playing first-line minutes with Savard as his centre had a lot to do with that.  I wonder what the VoRP would be on Kessel - if Sturm played that spot or Wheeler, how many fewer goals would they get?  5-6?  10?  I don't know if that's enough to make a negative difference on a club with balanced offense over three lines.

Kessel won't ever be the kind of guy who retrieves the puck, either.  It's not his game.  If you want the goals, you have to let him be what he is, and that's a guy who looks for space on the ice while others dig in the corners.  I could see him getting better at swooping in on the garbage and hustling back on defense - maybe.  But Julien would be taking Rogaine just to have hair to pull if he expected Kessel to dig in the corners and fight for pucks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I am a Kessel fan, but I am not in favor of trading several players to keep him. He isn't the kind of player you hurt your depth to keep. He is an excellent goal scorer. That's all he is. He doesn't kill penalties. He doesn't always play in his own end. He isn't physical. He needs to pick up the other areas of his game if he expects to be paid $4.5-5 million year. He isn't worth that much. If he continues to ask for that much, he won't play for the Bruins. Now, if he comes down in asking price and signs a deal similar to Krejci's, then that would be reasonable.

Trading Kobasew wouldn't give us enough cap space. This is where the buyouts & the Morris contract could hurt us. You can't afford to trade Savard or Bergeron, especially with Krejci out to at least November. I don't see Sturm waiving his no-trade clause, especially considering the teams that would probably be most interested aren't playoff contenders. Ryder is a favorite of Julien. If none of those guys go, who does? Wideman? If he goes we're shorthanded defensively. This is what Chiarelli is dealing with. It isn't an easy decision to make

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBhockey. Show BBhockey's posts

The B's are going to start the season without Kessel.  There is no rush to sign him to a contract.  He's a restricted free agent, injured, and he needs to sign a contract prior to 1 Dec or he losses an entire NHL season.  The Bruins have all the leverage in this situation.  A team would have to give up a lot (high draft picks/prospects) to obtain Phil Kessel.  If the B's find themselves in trouble early in the season than Chiarelli can free up the space and add Kessel.  If Kessel only signs a one year deal, than the B's trade him at the deadline.

If the B's need to trade a player(s) to free up the cap space than I think they'll wait until mid November to make a move.  Also, any trade would be based on how well the player(s) on the team are playing at the time.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

trading kobasew would give us 3.66 mill in cap room, that would be plenty

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Kessel is a luxury, period. It would be great to have him for cheep, but, you stat guys are not looking at the most important stat. The B's were near the tops in the league in goals scored last year. Kessel only added 35 to that. Get it????? Remove Kessel and add Sturm, and Wheeler with more experience, a dash of a healthy DK, add a pinch of Wrecking ball, and voila!!! Another top scoring team with grit balance scoring and WITHOUT Mrs. KESSEL!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

None, yet realistically Kobasew, as his tough play usually means an injury or two during the year.

Next Ryder, he is a force when he is playing well.  Yet, he is older and somewhat slow.

Sturm has a NTC as mentioned above but his speed is an asset if Kessel is to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenian1967. Show fenian1967's posts

Kessel had a reputation coming out of college as one of the softest, laziest players around. There was a story In ESPN the magazine about his draft class. Doug Mclean let ESPN have pretty much complete coverage of how the Blue Jackets went about the draft process. Kessel is the “star” of the piece. The article mentions how scouts and teammates didn’t like him. When he was interviewed by Mclean for the Jackets he came across as aloof and lazy. Mclean mentioned he would never draft him and hoped the rumors about his behavior weren’t as bad as he was hearing regarding conditioning and other teams interviews. Was he good last year because he is maturing or because it was a contract year? I’m betting a bit of both but I can’t see Kessel being somebody who can ever be relied on at crunch time. This is a contending team without him, moving Kobasew won’t clear enough space to sign Kessel.  He may be a game breaker in the 68th game of the season on Long Island but I want somebody willing to pay the price in the playoffs and I can’t see Kessel being that guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldRaspy. Show OldRaspy's posts

Kessel has pretty much said that he is looking for $4M+ over several seasons. Moving Kobasew makes sense to a certain extent for this season only. What about next year when you have to resign Looch, Savard and Wheeler with a lower cap number? The arguments that Savard needs someone like Phil to pass to will be moot if Savard goes unsigned next year.

Please stop bringing up the cancer issue as a sign of Phil's grit. While it is a great testament to his character, it does not translate to the ice. He is in constant need of coaching in terms being a two way player, and still avoids contact at all costs. Kobasew, on the other hand, willing gives up the body to move the puck into the zone.

Yes, Kessel had 36 goals in the regular season, but 80% of them were against non-playoff teams. If he didn't pop a few in during the playoffs, I wouldn't even hesitate to let him walk. Hopefully, Chiarelli will win the waiting game and we can sign him for one year pro-rated from when he returns to the line up, and we can reassess next year before locking up Phil at the expense other, more complete players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL" : This plan doesn't stink at all.  Ryder needs to stay, like you said, he's a sniper and scores a lot of goals.  I don't know why everyone is so high and mighty on Kobasew...yes he has grit, but so does Lucic, Kreijci, Bergeron, Bitz, Thornton, and Begin.  You move Kobasew and bring back Kessel.  Now your looking at Lucic - Savard - Kessel (no need to explain but you have speed, scoring, grit) Sturm - Kreijci - Ryder (speed, scoring, grit)  Recchi - Bergeron - Wheeler (now you turn the 3rd line into much more of a consistent scoring threat by taking out Kobasew and adding Wheeler)  Thornton - Begin - Bitz (theres your gritty and tough 4th line bruisers)  Everyone get off the Kobasew band wagon.  He's obviously the one who would be moved b/c let's face it, Sturm is not waiving his NTC.  
    Posted by bigvig10[/QUOTE]

Better scoring without Kob? That has 20+ for the couple seasons and is a physical player. Sorry - don't agree.
    ANd someone else wrote Sturm was soft - See game six from '08 playoffs an rethink that too.

Don't give up your depth for 1 guy that had 1 good (not great) season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

[QUOTE]Kessel is a luxury, period. It would be great to have him for cheep, but, you stat guys are not looking at the most important stat. The B's were near the tops in the league in goals scored last year. Kessel only added 35 to that. Get it????? Remove Kessel and add Sturm, and Wheeler with more experience, a dash of a healthy DK, add a pinch of Wrecking ball, and voila!!! Another top scoring team with grit balance scoring and WITHOUT Mrs. KESSEL!!!!
    Posted by sparky1313[/QUOTE]

Agreed - as of right now you have 9 forwards who have (Except Lucic) put in 20+ goals a season (And Bergy will regain that this season). Sturm and Ryder are both VERY capable of potting 30. Ryder nearly did it last season even when missing time with a broken face. Recchi will only make Bergeron and Kobasew better (They were stuck with Axe much of last season, he would start dropping on D while going on a 3 on 2). Wheeler with another year development and conditioning will only get better. You don't NEED Kess, would it be great to have him, of course yes, but if you have to give up more than 1 of those top 9 guys or any of your D to do it, I don't agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Reading Kessel's remarks the past few days, reading PC's remarks, and noting the no movement in contract negotiations, I firmly believe the deal is in place.  I think both sides realize Phil can not play in the early season and are waiting to finalize the deal.  We get to keep all our depth players with no roster impact at this time and when Phil is healthy PC will address the trade needs at this time..

In recent interviews Kessel said he was not looking for a similar $5m per season like Carter or $6.8 like Kopitar he said no nothing like those guys those guys are great players that got great deals..

With the injury there is no point in moving forward now, and forcing a trade or putting the bruins over the cap..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]  Kessel had a reputation coming out of college as one of the softest, laziest players around. There was a story In ESPN the magazine about his draft class. Doug Mclean let ESPN have pretty much complete coverage of how the Blue Jackets went about the draft process. Kessel is the “star” of the piece. The article mentions how scouts and teammates didn’t like him. When he was interviewed by Mclean for the Jackets he came across as aloof and lazy. Mclean mentioned he would never draft him and hoped the rumors about his behavior weren’t as bad as he was hearing regarding conditioning and other teams interviews.   Was he good last year because he is maturing or because it was a contract year? I’m betting a bit of both but I can’t see Kessel being somebody who can ever be relied on at crunch time. This is a contending team without him, moving Kobasew won’t clear enough space to sign Kessel.   He may be a game breaker in the 68 th game of the season on Long Island but I want somebody willing to pay the price in the playoffs and I can’t see Kessel being that guy.
    Posted by fenian1967[/QUOTE]
                      kessel, I think has grown up a bit.His first camp (developmental) for the Bruins I watched.One of the things that stuck out was he didnt like when the guys finished their checks on him.He gave the shove back thing,alot.For most of his youth and college days he was untouchable,speed,speed,and more speed.I think he has come down to earth the last year and has begun to complete his game.Look at his +/-.Everyone,if you had this kids talent in college,you too would think your untouchable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

hockey-101 is right on.  Kessel has matured.  This guy came up through the US juniors and college, where he never learned how to even take a hit, because no one could catch him to hit him.  Then he went straight to the NHL as an 18-year-old prima donna.  He never had the bump-and-bruise indoctrination of Canadian juniors or the AHL. 

You see some of the same in Blake Wheeler.  For a guy his size, I don't remember seeing him throw too many jarring hits (as in, I don't remember any).  Can Wheeler become more physical, learn how to use his size to create space, battle for pucks, etc?  He can, and he better, or this time next year we'll be arguing about whether he's too soft to warrant a big contract.

Kessel has come a long way in 3 years learning how to play amongst men in the NHL.  Doesn't mean you keep him at all costs...he gets Krejci money, no more, and if some team desparate for a razzle-dazzle player offers the right package, take it.  Otherwise, Kessel stays and we rely on the coaching staff to teach him how to be a complete NHL player to complement his 40+ goal production.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Did somebody say Wheeler was Soft? Outta your mind. Take a closer look, the kid hits and is not afraid to hit. I think he is going to be star. The problem he ran into in the second half of the season is a problem common to many players coming out of college - adjusting to the length and difficulty of the pro season. Soft, no way, this kid has the goods and if he works hard he'll be an exceptional forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Kessel will be signed and he and Krejci will be put on Long term Injury and will keep them under the cap.

Kobasew trade is foolish he is very cap friendly for his production.

Ryder will put up numbers. 4M will be high for next year though.

Ference also cap friendly but may be let go pending Boychuk experiment and injuries.

Sturm may become bait next year unsure how his no trade works for next year, hopefully he scores career numbers, has never scored 30G and 60P.

Team will stand pat until new year and players will be evaluated then as we will have K & K back.

Kessel and Klima, if Kessel scores an OT winner in the finals like Klima did in 90 against Bos which ended the Bruins and gave Edm the cup that would be sweetness.  Klima was 24 to Kess's 21 when in their third year and was playing in a much more open 80's. Kess will score more goals in his career than Klima did, and against more defensive systems.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "TOP 3 PLAYERS TO MAKE ROOM FOR KESSEL" : This plan doesn't stink at all.  Ryder needs to stay, like you said, he's a sniper and scores a lot of goals.  I don't know why everyone is so high and mighty on Kobasew...yes he has grit, but so does Lucic, Kreijci, Bergeron, Bitz, Thornton, and Begin.  You move Kobasew and bring back Kessel.  Now your looking at Lucic - Savard - Kessel (no need to explain but you have speed, scoring, grit) Sturm - Kreijci - Ryder (speed, scoring, grit)  Recchi - Bergeron - Wheeler (now you turn the 3rd line into much more of a consistent scoring threat by taking out Kobasew and adding Wheeler)  Thornton - Begin - Bitz (theres your gritty and tough 4th line bruisers)  Everyone get off the Kobasew band wagon.  He's obviously the one who would be moved b/c let's face it, Sturm is not waiving his NTC.  
    Posted by bigvig10[/QUOTE]

Hey, I like this lineup. I'll go to battle with it, although I hated to lose Yelle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I'd flip Krejci & Bergy.  But otherwise yeah.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

plain & simple.....Ryder  give me youth & speed anyday

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

GOAT - I have no idea what you're talking about.  Boston won the cup in '90 [fingers in ears - la la la, na na na].

I didn't want to bring that up - but remember that Klima fresh because he'd been benched for over an hour.

Phil will probably outscore Klima over his career - in part because Klima had some really poor years and in part because he has a 3 year head-start.  But really, that's not germane to my point.  They're the same kind of player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

What teams out there could you think of, where a trade for a 1 defender and 1offensive player could impact the B's to trade Kessel and say ference and get in return a better defenseman than ference and a descent forward, but not a 30 goal scorer....I know Morris was just signed but this would help the defense and still add a desent forward to the mix.....I agree with a comment earlier....The team will not suffer scoring goals....Sturm up front with Savard may work out just as well....Sturm has speed, can score and brings more grind to his game than kessel.

Im perfectly fine with Kessel not on this roster....If he had more grit to his game like Crosby, he may be unstoppable....Crosby for his size will mix it up....Kessel would back down every time...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

I believe everyone is missing the obvious here. If at all possible my choice would be Beregeron. While its true the guy plays good defense, he also has a huge contract and managed under 10 goals last year. Simply to much money for to little production. The Bruins have several players capable of playing his position. Then again it would be hard to trade a guy with those number, and the size of his contract. At this time Kessells game is far superior to Bergies.