10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefebvre33. Show Lefebvre33's posts

Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010:
    [QUOTE]dude you don't get it, there is a SALARY cap, the bruins can only spend 56.8 million dollars, they had two young studs that needing signing, and the reality was that due to their cap restrictions they might only be able to sign one....so they identified the more crucial one, and signed him. Now they try to work out a cheap deal for Kessel becaues there is a salary cap you brain dead morbidly asinine fools
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

Hey dingleberry, maybe at the time if your Uncle Jeremy decided to not hire a rookie GM who was also the cheapest GM in the league said GM would not make bumbling mistake after bumbling mistake with horrible pricey free agents and offer buyout after buyout after buyout and the Bruins could keep both Krejci and Kessel

JJ has everything to do with the on ice performance of the Bruins. Looks like you're the brain dead fool with his head buried in the sand here

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : Can you show me where the team is up against the cap? If they are against the cap with this group of players without Kessel, then PC blows as bad as JJ does.  My dead brain cant seem to find where it shows the teams current salaries for the year.
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

nhlnumbers.com

capgeek.com

The reports from there and the boston globe (they do vary because both those sites take a different roster into account) say that the Bruins have roughly 1.3 million remaining in cap space, thus making it impossible to sign Kessel without unloading some salary.

Currently, Jeremy Jacobs is paying well over the allotted salary cap for his players salaries, due to buyouts that, although costly, have allowed the bruins to cut dead weight and continue to get better. Despite a 56.8 million salary cap, Jacobs will be shelling out near 60 million, please explain to me how this means he won't spend money on his team when other teams spend only as much as the league requires them to.

The Bruins spent the 2nd most among NHL franchises in the 2007-2008 season, and were right up against the cap in the 2008-2009 season.

PC has done incredibly well for the Bruins, the only move i disagree with was the Thomas deal, a little too much money given the cap crunch if you ask me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : Hey dingleberry, maybe at the time if your Uncle Jeremy decided to not hire a rookie GM who was also the cheapest GM in the league said GM would not make bumbling mistake after bumbling mistake with horrible pricey free agents and offer buyout after buyout after buyout and the Bruins could keep both Krejci and Kessel JJ has everything to do with the on ice performance of the Bruins. Looks like you're the brain dead fool with his head buried in the sand here
    Posted by Lefebvre33[/QUOTE]

Clearly a terrible GM, brings the team from the cellars to 1st in the east, sure there is still more work to be done, but if you think this GM has made bumbling mistake after bumbling mistake, i might have to take advantage of the ignore feature seeing as how every word of yours i read is lowering my IQ to the point where I might not find everything you say retarded

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian030731. Show Brian030731's posts

[QUOTE]PC has done incredibly well for the Bruins, the only move i disagree with was the Thomas deal, a little too much money given the cap crunch if you ask me

Yeah the Manny Fernandez $9.75 million cap hit for 2 years was a thing of beauty, so was the Shaeffer expirament, say how is Kris Versteeg doing these days? I think I saw Brandon Bochenski ring somebody up at 7-11 the other day. You clearly post your drivel on here wearing your Bruins #1 foam fingers

Trying to explain hockey to dkrejci46 is like trying to teach long division to a chimp, why bother?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : Yeah the Manny Fernandez $9.75 million cap hit for 2 years was a thing of beauty, so was the Shaeffer expirament, say how is Kris Versteeg doing these days? I think I saw Brandon Bochenski ring somebody up at 7-11 the other day. You clearly post your drivel on here wearing your Bruins #1 foam fingers Trying to explain hockey to dkrejci46 is like trying to teach long division to a chimp, why bother?
    Posted by Brian030731[/QUOTE]

3-1 says you never played hockey 10-1 says you don't understand it

ya versteeg for bochenski was a bust but thats gonna happen when you are trading minor leaguers....bochenski put up impressive numbers in the AHL (lead the league in scoring at the time of the trade I believe) and continued that success with 11 goals and 11 assists in 31 NHL games with the bruins, he had a terrible off season, and fell apart.....happens, tough to blame a GM for that, blame the player, not the GM. Also don't forget that the hawks wanted Krejci, thank god that didn't happen.

As for Schaeffer we gave up freaking Donovan for him, and Schaeffer was coming off a solid 50 point season, he too lost his game, and thats unfortunate, but I don't feel its worth condemning a general manager.

Fernandez was injured, and we traded a guy that has seen like 3 NHL games for him in Petr Kalus, so I'm not too worried about that. He played well when he was healthy, if PC traded for Ovechkin and he went on the LITR for a year would you be calling for PC's head?

BTW, i don't own a bruins foam finger...how much are they?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Foam fingers probably will cost you about the same as one of JJ's hot dogs at TD BankRipOff, but the good news is they taste about as good if you put some BlackNGold mustard on 'em.

Look, we can go round and round on this issue, but the Salary Cap really isn't the issue. I happen to agree with SlickSteve, and in the end, one of us is going to be right about Kessel. THAT is the real issue.

If he goes to the Rangers (as I predict he will) or to the Flyers (as Steve does), then we'll be right about JJ's commitment to winning. If the B's do sign Kessel, we're wrong. I'll apologize personally on this board and keep my mouth shut about their game plan for 2010. Great teams become great by keeping the very best, most talented, young core players together. But there is no denying that the Bruins' MO for the past 20 plus years has been to acquire good, sometimes even great players, then let them skate away before any team identity can be established, and the issue is usually money. 

yes, the cap makes it tougher for JJ to pull those shenanigans, but not impossible. We are not "dumb fans" here (and btw, I played hockey for years before my knees gave out), and we know what a great player looks like. I happen to think PC was a good hire, and I'm willing to give him a shot despite some bad moves (and Manny was simply a bad signing at bad $$$--period), but I know and I believe YOU know dkrejci46) that JJ is very much looking over PC's shoulder, and if he can save a buck by letting Kess go (and he would b/c a guy like Kobasew is cheaper), then he will.  They're up against the Cap now b/c of dumb signings like Manny and Schaeffer but if JJ can get out from under the Cap (while still soaking the fans) he will. And ultimately it's not about spending up to the Cap or not, it's about spending wisely and doing what it takes to keep great players AND WIN THE CUP.

What really steams me, though, is that you've defended each and every move made since the Cap was imposed as though that's all the B's have ever needed to get over the top. And that's nonsense. It's also not true as you've stated time and again that the Bruins "don't need" Kessel. Any team that's serious about winning needs a guy who's a potential 50-goal scorer, has blazing speed, and is not yet even in his prime.

Think long and hard (and honestly) about how good a team like the Rangers or Flyers would be next year by adding Kess to their mix, and then tell me (honestly) that you wouldn't be worried about facing said team in the playoffs. If Kess goes, he won't be replaced by anything even close to his talent level this year. We get the standard draft compensation which pays off MAYBE 2-3 years down the line, and when that player gets great and wants more $$$, the team releases him.

Rinse and repeat. No Stanley Cup.

Sorry, but you don't go 37 years without winning a title for no reason. And as in any pro franchise, the responsibility starts at the top.

I sincerely hope in a month's time i'm eating  my words b/c they find a way to keep Kessel in the fold. THAT would show me something. But i'm not about to bury my head in the sand and make excuses for the owner if they don't. I'll just sigh and shake my head and wait for the inevitable 1st or 2nd round collapse. Like always.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackngold10. Show blackngold10's posts

[QUOTE]Savard,Lucic,Krejci,Chara,Thomas,Ryder,Wideman,Julien,Wheeler,Rask. Ten good reasons right there.
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

if wideman could the acctually hit the freakin net.

and if wheeler would acctually use his size.

hopefully rask doesn't through another temper tantrum....

don't get me wrong they are all great players.
    but i want to see them ALL step it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : if wideman could the acctually hit the freakin net. and if wheeler would acctually use his size. hopefully rask doesn't through another temper tantrum.... don't get me wrong they are all great players. but i want to see them ALL step it up.
    Posted by blackngold10[/QUOTE]Agreed Wideman`s shot lives up to his name, but I see it improving. Wheeler was a rookie and played well expect him to improve he wasn`t such a high draft pick for no reason. You have to love the fact that Rask shows he hates to lose, but then so did Billy Smith and Patrick Roy, btw not comparing the three just the temperment. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from banginthebox. Show banginthebox's posts

[QUOTE]while i agree with you that the Bs have a great shot, I think that you are a bit of a homer. earlier you said that Morris was a top 3 defensemen in the NHL, which is just not the case. I agree with 2, but not with 1, i'm sorry but Thomas is just not the best goalie in the NHL, you can argue the fact, but I'm not buying it until he succeeds in a system not built for goalies

How can you say that about Tim Thomas? (I completely agree with Morris NOT being a top 3 d-man btw)... Martin Brodeur played in the "trap" for most of his career. There is no better system for a goalie than the trap. Are you saying Martin Brodeur is not the best goalie in hockey history because he played in the trap?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackngold10. Show blackngold10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : Agreed Wideman`s shot lives up to his name, but I see it improving. Wheeler was a rookie and played well expect him to improve he wasn`t such a high draft pick for no reason. You have to love the fact that Rask shows he hates to lose, but then so did Billy Smith and Patrick Roy, btw not comparing the three just the temperment. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

oh, i am not gonna lie and say that rask's flip out wasn;t entertaining. of course it was. but that ain't gonna fly in the NHL.

They all have a lot of potential. I am looking forward to this season.
    Minus the Kessel shenanigans...

"Boston is a hockey town again!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Trytobearit - the kessel sitaution has nothing to do with jacobs, nothing nothing nothing. Here is why. if your assumption is correct, that Jacobs simply wants to get people to come to his games and doesn't want to win the stanley cup, then moving 4 million dollars of salary and signing kessel is the right move. Sacrificing depth and balance for that flashy dazzling player would be what the business man, not the hockey guy would do. In all probability PC asked JJ whether he really wanted to get Kessel and JJ said "I don't give a fck just go do your job," and quite frankly I'm okay with that. The point is that the Kessel situation will play out, with no influence from Jacobs, and the hockey minds will decide what the right move is for the Bruins, and that does not necessarily mean bringing back Kessel.

As for Manny, no I don't agree, because he was not a signing, he was a trade.

As for where Kessel is going, it won't be Philly, they have 2 million in cap room and no tradable assets that the bruins would be interested in. The rangers, ya i suppose that could work, but NYR is a top heavy team, and they would definitely be good with Kessel, but I don't think that would put them over the top.

Anyway your way off if you think that if the Bruins sign Kessel Jacobs is good and if they don't hes bad.....letting him go could be the right thing to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

trytobearit i have 2 questions for you
    1. how is it that JJ saves money by not signing Kessel
    2. in your perfect world how would the Bs sign Kessel (for how much, who would they trade to make room)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from damngood. Show damngood's posts

dkrejci46 could you be anymore of a shameless pom pom waving Jacobs apologist? You clearly give away your age in every naive post you make. I am guessing (19-21) You dont have a clue and your embarassing yourself with every post about management/ownership you make.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]dkrejci46 could you be anymore of a shameless pom pom waving Jacobs apologist? You clearly give away your age in every naive post you make. I am guessing (19-21) You dont have a clue and your embarassing yourself with every post about management/ownership you make.
    Posted by damngood[/QUOTE]
    Could you argue against his points, rather than just name call?
    Thank you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cashmuney49. Show cashmuney49's posts

[QUOTE]while i agree with you that the Bs have a great shot, I think that you are a bit of a homer. earlier you said that Morris was a top 3 defensemen in the NHL, which is just not the case. I agree with 2, but not with 1, i'm sorry but Thomas is just not the best goalie in the NHL, you can argue the fact, but I'm not buying it until he succeeds in a system not built for goalies

Krecji46 - If Tim Thomas is a product of strong defensive system last year then we better take away all of Martin Brodeur's accomplishments because that is exactly what you are saying. For that matter let's also strip Patrick Roy of his accolades. It's like saying a shortstop is only a gold glover because he plays on a team with 5 sinkerball pitchers.

I admit that Tim Thomas's style is not to my liking but he stop's the puck and needs to be given his due. Save percentage has nothing to do with your defense, but they do a good job at letting shots through to him. He stops the ones he is supposed to and then some.

I know it is a cliche but defense wins championships and in hockey that starts with goaltending. Timmy may have peaked to late but he still has a shot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

first to cashmuney - i do give thomas credit, he has done a great job, but do i think he is the best goaltender in the world? absolutely not. furthermore save percentage has a lot to do with a teams defensive system. The bruins give up far more shots than they take, yet score far more goals than they give up, why is this? partly because thomas is an above average goaltender, but mostly, take a look at where the shots are coming from.

now, for damngood - yes, I am 21, however on this topic i believe that gives me less bias than older fans, simply because I am too young to have my heart broken again and again by Jacobs when he really did manage to have an effect on the production of his team. However, those days are gone. I have said countless times how I don't like Jacobs, and how I am in no way saying that the current relative success of the Bruins absolves him of any previous sins, but the fact of the matter is in the salary cap era, he has done nothing to hurt his team, nothing whatsoever.

You can call me a sheep all you want, from people like you I take it as a compliment. Since the cap was instated the Bruins have rebuilt, done a great job of drafting and developing, and have signed a couple key free agents.

Hate the guy all you want but to suggest that the reason Kessel has not been signed has anything to do with the thriftiness of Jacobs is a foolish, unresearched argument

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]trytobearit i have 2 questions for you 1. how is it that JJ saves money by not signing Kessel 2. in your perfect world how would the Bs sign Kessel (for how much, who would they trade to make room)

1. Because assuming Kessel wants more $$$ (and clearly he does or he would have signed for whatever the Bruins' first offer was), JJ saves money by not paying that salary and while the team is still up against the cap now, he can start shedding salaries later.

2. In my perfect world (and it aint that perfect) we jettison someone else and get his salary off the books in order to make room for Kessel. That someone would most likely by Kobasew, a player I really like a lot, but again, I believe Kessel is better now and will only get better in the future.

I agree with you that PC has done a good job so far. I have said repeatedly that the Bruins are a good team as he's put them together (but trade or no--and I realize it was a trade but that's nitpicking b/c it still amounted to a signing by taking on his salary) the Manny acquisition was a bad move. It happened following a year in which the bruins struggled all year to put the puck in the net...Thomas had had a fine season and an upgrade in goaltending, especially at that high salary, was NOT necessary.

But, overall, I like the team PC has constructed. But where you and I part company probably has more to do with how long we've each been watching the B's (as you alluded to). I'm twice your age and I've watched jacobs since he acquired this team for a song in 1975 and ever since he has always been about his bottom line. He cares not one whit for a Stanley Cup, despite what he or his troglodyte son might say otherwise only insofar as it could make him more $$$.

Because Bruins fans are rabidly loyal and desperate for a Cup, they keep pouring $$$ into his vault. Even w/the cap, I guarantee you he is NOT just handing the reigns over to his GM and saying "do what you want." He will resist signings that push the B's up against the cap in the future--and Kessel will be one--and he also takes the Harry Sinden stance of arrogance (i.e. You want more money? Go elsewhere. No one pushes us around)....this is the kind of thinking that has let players as talented as Oates, Allison, Guerin, Knuble and scores of others skate away. They are often replaced by good players, but like I've said no one stays around long enough for a team to gel together, establish an identity, and win it all. And that's all that should matter for an original 6 franchise.

Examine the teams that do it right and you'll see what I mean. There's a reason Detroit is always there even in the cap era. And the ultimate blueprint the B's should be following is the Islanders of the early 1980's. 4 cups in a row. Why? because they kept their young draft talent together (Bossy, Trottier, Gilles, potvin, Smith, etc.), refusing trades to other teams that desperately wanted the young talent, and re-signing the guys when their contracts came up. Ask any Islanders fan now what happened since then, and they'll show you a pattern exactly like the one JJ and Sinden and O'Connell have established for the past 20 years.

The PC era is young, I'll give you that. And like I said, if they find a way to re-sign Kessel or trade for someone of comporable talent, i'll take my mea culpa lumps. But the fact is we've gone 37 years w/out a cup, and the team you believe is so heavily talented got beat in the 2nd round last year by a not all that impressive Hurricanes squad. The B's have won exactly 2 first-round playoff series in the past 11 years to go w/that Cup drought.

Is it too much to ask the owner and mgt. to start making every effort possible to keep the very best young players together in order to get to the Promised Land? I don't think so, especially w/the prices they charge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : 1. Because assuming Kessel wants more $$$ (and clearly he does or he would have signed for whatever the Bruins' first offer was), JJ saves money by not paying that salary and while the team is still up against the cap now, he can start shedding salaries later.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    Sorry to but in, but I want some clarification.  In my opinion, the main effect that JJ can have on the team right now is that he might have told Chiarelli "No big long contracts" (such as what Luongo just signed).  It's a big money commitment over a long time, and I can see him not wanting that.  Is this what you were trying to get across?

In the case of Kessel, this is only an issue if he wants a 5 year contract or something similar.  If that is the case, I can't blame them for their reluctance to sign him; especially after the Bergeron contract. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Well, we don't know exactly what Kess is seeking, but there's been no discussion yet of length of deal...If he's looking for anything more than 4 years I'd agree (my guess is he wants a 3-year deal similar to Krejci's but for about $1 Million more--again, just a guess.

I should clarify that I wish kess would take the Krejci route and realize he's in a great sports town and in what COULD BE AGAIN a great hockey town and accept a reasonable deal...but I truly believe his talent level is such that he needs to be retained, even at the cost of sending off another player...and that Kess' potential upside is even greater.

what I don't buy is this silly argument on another thread that his goals were mostly against non-playoff teams. Goals are critical no matter who you play against and maybe if he doesn't score some of those against the weaker teams the B's lose those games.

The kid's way talented. He's just starting to mesh w/his colleagues. He scored 36 last year while missing a huge chunk of time.

Sign him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]What I don't buy is this silly argument on another thread that his goals were mostly against non-playoff teams. Goals are critical no matter who you play against and maybe if he doesn't score some of those against the weaker teams the B's lose those games. The kid's way talented. He's just starting to mesh w/his colleagues. He scored 36 last year while missing a huge chunk of time. Sign him.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    That argument stems from a blog post by Fluto shortly after the Bruins were eliminated.  It triggered my OCP and I ended up working out (and posting) what was a slightly more meaningful number for goal quality (based on the number of points earned by the opposing team by the end of the season).  I worked out the value of this for Kessel, a couple of other Bruins, Crosby and Ovechkin.  The result was that 1: Kessel, Crosby, and Ovechkin were pretty similar; and 2: what division you were in impacted this stat significantly (so for example Crosby played in more games against high-point earning teams because of the in-division schedule).
    So yes, it is a silly argument.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

trytobear it i stopped reading your post after the first few sentences, lets try this again, if you think that the Bruins should sign kessel I want you to tell me HOW it would work....that doesn't mean you say jettison "some" player, that means you tell me who they let go

as for how JJ saves money, that makes no sense, JJ saves money because instead of paying 56.8 million he pays 56.8 million for different players?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

TrytoBearit - keeping this young team together is part of the point in not giving Kessel a big contract. You have Lucic and Wheeler amongst others (Savard) that need to be re-signed next season. With Krejci, Hunwick and Bitz re-signed this season. That is keeping what you can keep together. Pick your poison - Keep Kessel and not be able to keep probably 2 of the others depending on how much the deal comes down to.
    And PC won't spend right up to the cap with no wiggle room - so it would take more than Kobasew most likely to fit Kessel in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Based on age, health and cap money they eat up, Sturm is the one who needs to go, but he has a no-trade contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]trytobear it i stopped reading your post after the first few sentences, lets try this again, if you think that the Bruins should sign kessel I want you to tell me HOW it would work....that doesn't mean you say jettison "some" player, that means you tell me who they let go as for how JJ saves money, that makes no sense, JJ saves money because instead of paying 56.8 million he pays 56.8 million for different players?

well if you had kept readingmy post you'd have seen that I already mentioned letting Kobasew go to fit Kessel in. Why don't you go back and read it rather than have me repeat myself, which I;'m guilty of doing on this and other threads.

as for Bradybruin's point, it's the management's job to be creative in letting one OR 2 players of lesser talent go to fit in a player of exceptional talent, which I feel Kessel is. That's what this really comes down to. And we still don't know yet just what kind of contract Kessel is seeking, so it may not be necessary to shed two players' salaries to keep him. We just don't know.

But if PC is to be believed, they want to keep Kessel. Assuming you like what he's done w/this team and take him at face value, why would you disagree w/him on Kess' value? It also begs the question if they do let him go--is JJ handcuffing PC on salary demans for players like Kessel.

Finally, why dkrejci46 assumes the Bruins want to spend right up to the cap ceiling is beyond me. They've put themselves in that box by the lousy Fernandez and Schaeffer deals and I believe JJ will try to spend down rather than up as things continue.

JJ also has no excuse for charging one of the highest ticket prices in the NHL for a team that's won exactly 2 first-round playoff series in the past 11 years and no Cup since 1972.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

dude Fernandez isn't on the books, he has no affiliation with the Bruins whatsoever, soooo theres that.
    The buyouts s*ck but they are what they are. Murray needed to be bought out (and that is actually a financial sacrifice on JJs part) and I'm convinced that schaeffer was bought out so that Boston doesn't become a place with the reputation of burying players in the minors when they don't perform.

The reason I think the Bruins are looking to spend up to the cap ceiling? they are under 2 million away from the cap right now, and have spent to the cap the last two seasons as well.

as for Kessel, lets say you have to trade an excellent cap friendly 20+ goal scorer like Kobasew, AND someone else. Who are you going to move? the consesus on this board seems to be Ference, but then what? you have Boychuk as your 6th defensemen, and who on earth is your depth defensemen? If you can get a young cheap good forward that is under their entry level contract, and a good pick, do it. That is why I would like to see the Bs make a move for Kyle Okposo and an Islanders 1st in exchange for Kessel and a Bruins 2nd.

Sections
Shortcuts