10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cobblerface. Show cobblerface's posts

Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010:
    in 2009 Thomas had the best goal against average and the best save % what more can you ask...I think he will repeat in 2009-10 and be even better ... GO BRUINS ! ! ! 
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010

So they should have won the Cup last season then?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicanator17. Show lucicanator17's posts

bitz is f986!ng terrible need sobokta

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lafleur1979. Show Lafleur1979's posts

Don't forget reason #15 for the Cup: None of the other 29 teams in the league add to their own line-up, coaching staff, player experience or team chemistry. Nor will they have any injured players returning to play. And forget about any new prospects coming out from their Mickey Mouse farm teams. I tell yah: it's in the bag.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : name one way, just ONE way that Jacobs, since the salary cap, has hurt the team that the Bruins put on the ice......not one buddy, not one
    Posted by dkrejci46

you're about to see it happen. Kessel will want the kind of money JJ won't let PC pay out. JJ would rather keep lesser players (i.e. Kobasew at cheaper money) than pay what it takes to keep a potential 50-goal scorer on the roster. Don;t forget JJ was the genius who blew up the '04 squad guessing (hoping) wrongly that the new CBA would favor owners who--like him--love to penny pinch players and then stick it to the fans.

The new cap obviously makes it harder for JJ to work his black magic, but ultimately it just helps mask his machinations. They won't re-sign Kess and they NEED him if they're going to be an elite team and take that extra step. You wait and see and if I'm wrong I'll be the 1st to admit it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : Really? All of your glasses seem to be half empty.  How can you seriously call yourself a Bruins fan if you are that negative about the team?  You make some decent points but, you have far too many and you go way too far on all 10.  It's one thing to be realistic, it's another to expect 82 wins like you seem to.  Every team has their issues but, there is no reason to be as bitter as you are about this team.  Do you even enjoy/look forward to Bruins games?
    Posted by IceGoalie3014

I'm as much of a Bruins fan as you are, I'm just not an enabler. I love hockey and love watching the Bruins b/c I have no choice--they're the team I grew up w/and they're in my blood. I look forward to each and every game and hope against hope I'm wrong about my own predictions.

But as you pointed out, a lot of the points I made are valid. Sorry if that's depressing or "negative" but I'm not going to approach what I see as a good but flawed team as some kind of pollyanna and think they're actually going to win the Cup next year. Remember, the topic of this thread was "10 reasons why the Bruins WILL WIN THE CUP."

you REALLY think they're the best team in the NHL? Better than the Red Wings? The Caps? The Penguins? You're confident they would take care of NJ and have enough fire power (especially w/out Kessel) to score enough goals against Brodeur?

I have no idea if you shell out JJ's outrageous prices to go see the team live, but that's where I draw the line...lower bowl prices for $200? Are you kidding me? Look, for that kind of money, JJ should be PROMISING fans a Stanley Cup win. It's been 37 years, for crying out loud...and if you'll notice, when asked what his "goals" are for the Bruins, JJ never simply says "Win the Stanley Cup." Never. Ever. He says things like "put a competetive team on the ice...make a team that's tough to play against...." Heck with that nonsense. Owners like Ilyitch in Detroit understand what fans want and deserve and that's why even in the cap era, the Wings are always right there as favorites.

Until i see that kind of consistency from the B's year in year out, I resreve teh right to be pessimistic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cobblerface. Show cobblerface's posts

Jacobs worst nightmare would be for the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, then that would be expected of him every year to be a Championship contender every year like the 3 other Boston teams.

Nothing satisfies JJ more then a first or second a round knockout, It keeps the fans hungry enough to keep spending

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyo77. Show guyo77's posts

I have no concerns about their forwards.  I believe that Kessel will have no other option than to re-sign.  I also believe that Bergeron will continue his recovery back "close" to his pre-concussion days.  Sturm is back, Savard playing for a new contract, and the kids have another year of experience.

I also think that Rask will do well in the back up role - playing 30+ games. 

The risk is on D where they have very litttle depth.  If they catch the injury bug, their lack of depth will be exposed. 

The B's will score more than enough goals to compete, Goaltending and D are the keys to being a winning team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : you're about to see it happen. Kessel will want the kind of money JJ won't let PC pay out. JJ would rather keep lesser players (i.e. Kobasew at cheaper money) than pay what it takes to keep a potential 50-goal scorer on the roster. Don;t forget JJ was the genius who blew up the '04 squad guessing (hoping) wrongly that the new CBA would favor owners who--like him--love to penny pinch players and then stick it to the fans. The new cap obviously makes it harder for JJ to work his black magic, but ultimately it just helps mask his machinations. They won't re-sign Kess and they NEED him if they're going to be an elite team and take that extra step. You wait and see and if I'm wrong I'll be the 1st to admit it.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

first and foremost, JJ is not making the decision about kessel, that would be PC. JJ hired PC and he makes all decisions about player personel and contracts. every single one......so no, we aren't seeing it now, and no JJ has nothing to do with these kessel negotiations, and furthermore, pc is going about the negotiations perfectly.  Also the bruins don't "need' kessel this year, as they have plenty of scoring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Once the Rangers (or another team w/big bucks) makes an offer for Kess JJ won't let PC match, Kess will indeed have other options.

Then the B's will try to sell us on the compensation draft pick theory making up for it. But you don't build a long term winning team that way....the B's for years have done this...get great players for a year or 2, then let 'em skate when the $$$ becomes too daunting (but still have the gall to charge some of the highest ticket prices in the league.) It's a revolving door of talent that stays just long enough to entice the fan, but not long enough to bring a Stanley Cup to Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

heres 30 reasons as in #30 the best goalie on the planet lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : first and foremost, JJ is not making the decision about kessel, that would be PC. JJ hired PC and he makes all decisions about player personel and contracts. every single one......so no, we aren't seeing it now, and no JJ has nothing to do with these kessel negotiations, and furthermore, pc is going about the negotiations perfectly.  Also the bruins don't "need' kessel this year, as they have plenty of scoring.
    Posted by dkrejci46

If you want to believe PC doesn't have to clear it with JJ should Kess ask for a contract in the $4.5 Million range, you go ahead and believe it. That's just wishful thinking at best and ignorance at worst.  JJ controls the purse strings. You think all of a sudden JJ is changing his Montgomery Burns-like penny pinching just because of the salary cap? He's the guy who just whined that NHL owners are charging too little for tickets in the midst of a recession. He's priced middle class fans right out of his vault, but you think PC can go ahead and throw money at any player he feels like and still keep his job? Please.

Look, if they re-sign Kessel I'll come back on this forum and apologize personally for being too cynical. But I doubt I'll have to do that.

And you're wrong that they have "enough scoring." If they did, they wouldn't have gone to 7 games and LOSE to freaking Carolina, which is not exactly the equivalent of at least 6 other teams that went further in the tournament last year. This year's team w/out Kess would be even weaker. The elite teams have elite scorers...multiple ones. The B's are good. But they are not great. And given the competition level in this league, you need to be great to win it all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Wait....did you just say JJ doesnt make the decisions regarding players?  If this were the case, why would the revolving door of coaches/GM's occur with this franchise?  PC doesnt write the checks.......He takes the offers back to the owner, and the owner starts counting hot dog sales in his head to see if he can still gouge us at 150%.  If you think that Kessel isnt signed because of PC, you are drinking the $9.00 Kool Aid they sell you at the garden.  I would also order up a big sh@% sandwich as well, because that is what he is ramming down our throats.
    I have made this point many times before......spending up to the salary cap is not the defining factor as to whether an owner invests in winning.  Watch Kessel go.....next off season, my guess is Savard walks.  The response??  JJ will sign some aging veteran to a one year dealso the perception is that he is spending to win....when in actuality, once the veteran leaves after a year....he will wait 2 years to sign another one.  It is his MO......deny it.  Name the last quality player who RE SIGNED with the Bruins after his innital contract was up? They all walk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Name the last quality player who RE SIGNED with the Bruins after his innital contract was up? They all walk.
    Posted by slicksteve38

Name the last quality player that signed with another team after his initial Bruins contract was up, especially since the beginning of the cap era, or for that matter since Chiarelli was hired.
    Not enough data to draw any trend conclusions yet I think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : If you want to believe PC doesn't have to clear it with JJ should Kess ask for a contract in the $4.5 Million range, you go ahead and believe it. That's just wishful thinking at best and ignorance at worst.  JJ controls the purse strings. You think all of a sudden JJ is changing his Montgomery Burns-like penny pinching just because of the salary cap? He's the guy who just whined that NHL owners are charging too little for tickets in the midst of a recession. He's priced middle class fans right out of his vault, but you think PC can go ahead and throw money at any player he feels like and still keep his job? Please. Look, if they re-sign Kessel I'll come back on this forum and apologize personally for being too cynical. But I doubt I'll have to do that. And you're wrong that they have "enough scoring." If they did, they wouldn't have gone to 7 games and LOSE to freaking Carolina, which is not exactly the equivalent of at least 6 other teams that went further in the tournament last year. This year's team w/out Kess would be even weaker. The elite teams have elite scorers...multiple ones. The B's are good. But they are not great. And given the competition level in this league, you need to be great to win it all.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

okay, I'm sorry, I really have been making an effort not to bash people so much in my posts.....but you're an idiot.

The bruins can spend 56.8 million dollars on their team

Jeremy Jacobs will let the bruins and PC spend 56.8 million dollars on the team.....just like last year.....and just like the year before that.

That is to say, if the Bruins sign Kessel for 4.5 million (which they won't because nobody in the league would) then you will see at least 3.2 million going the other way, probably in the form of Chuck Kobasew and someone else.

Financially, it doesn't make a difference to Jeremy Jacobs if Kessel signs or not, he will allow PC to spend to the cap, as he has ever since the cap was made.

The Bruins had plenty of scoring last year, they led the league without their leading scorer from the year before, who returns this year (Marco Sturm, in case you have let your hatred for Jacobs push you away from the team enough so that you stop watching)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackngold10. Show blackngold10's posts

Sorry, but here's 10 reasons they WON'T: 1. They won't re-sign Kessel. He'll probably end up with the Rangers and burn the B's in the playoffs. 2. Timmy won't be as solid as last year; Rask is still a rook and is no 2nd coming of Ken Dryden. 3. Other teams in the East come back as strong or stroner (you really think the B's have more firepower than the Pens or the Caps? The Flyers with Pronger don't scare you?) 4. Derek Morris is not the upgrade they needed from losing Aaron Ward. He's slowed measurably and while he may pop in a few on the power play, his lack of mobility in his own end will hurt. 5. No honeymoon this season. Last year's B's were the hockey equivalent of the Tampa Bay Rays in '08. No one saw them coming; everyone waited for them to fade away, and they never did (until the playoffs). This year, teams will not take them as lightly and they will struggle as a result. 6. Bergeron is one bad hit away from calling it a career. I sincerely hope he can avoid it, but the likelihood over an 82 game grind is he'll get tattooed at some point. 7. Let the haters have their say, but Axelsson will be missed, especially on the PK. 8. I'm still the only guy here who says Lucic is overrated, but I'm begging to be proven wrong. Go ahead, Looch, make me eat my words. 9. Much as I love Mark Recchi, I'm afraid he could be next year's hockey version of John Smoltz. If so, they better find an equivalent who can get it done, b/c guys like him are critical come post-season. 10. This should really be #1. This team is still owned by one of--if not THE--worst owner in all sports, and his heir apparent is the idiot-in-waiting. If the Bruins need an extra piece to the puzzle to put them over the top (and where have we heard that before--only for the past 3 decades) you can be sure Jacobs will find a way to hamstring Chiarelli from making it happen. There is every reason to believe that as long as JJ guides this team, they will never hoist the Cup. He's the worst, Jerry. The WORST. Caveat emptor: I am a Bruins fan since age 5 (well past 40 now), and want nothing more than to see this team win it all. More than the Red Sox, now that I've seen that twice. I'm just realistic, and not wanting to get my hopes up--yet again. I hope I'm wrong.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

as hard as it is to admit. this guy is right. we are boston fans. it is our nature to get our hopes up to just be smacked in the face. i was at game 7 and for those of you that were not there, i saw people in tears, i was almost in tears. and WALKER of all freakin people!!
     i love these guys. but we have a team made up of a lot of guys, who just arent ready for that level of play yet. i feel that with montador out of the way it makes the defense a little more promising. And with wheeler a little bigger now, if he just uses his size, it would help. but these guys used all their energy in the regular season and it looked like they showed up to the play offs hungover. i would give anything to see these guys win. but i dont know if its going to happen any time soon. they need to get their act together and show us that they really Want it as bad as us.

I am a big lucic fan though, and i believe he has a lot of potential. honestly, if he plays to the level that we all know he is capable of, i see future captain material. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: 10 reasons why the B's will win the Cup in 2010 : okay, I'm sorry, I really have been making an effort not to bash people so much in my posts.....but you're an idiot. The bruins can spend 56.8 million dollars on their team Jeremy Jacobs will let the bruins and PC spend 56.8 million dollars on the team.....just like last year.....and just like the year before that. That is to say, if the Bruins sign Kessel for 4.5 million (which they won't because nobody in the league would) then you will see at least 3.2 million going the other way, probably in the form of Chuck Kobasew and someone else. Financially, it doesn't make a difference to Jeremy Jacobs if Kessel signs or not, he will allow PC to spend to the cap, as he has ever since the cap was made. The Bruins had plenty of scoring last year, they led the league without their leading scorer from the year before, who returns this year (Marco Sturm, in case you have let your hatred for Jacobs push you away from the team enough so that you stop watching)
    Posted by dkrejci46

Hey, if calling people "idiots" makes you feel like a big man, go ahead...but it doesn't make you any more correct in your argument.

As other people have rightly pointed out on this forum, JJ's record speaks for itself. That the Bruins spent to the cap recently has more to do with their continued mismangament (how do you like the Manny fernandez deal now?) than for any real effort to bring a Stanley Cup to Boston. And JJ knows well that not signing Kess at $4.5M (and I'll be you anything there are plenty of teams willing to pay a 50-goal scorer in waiting that kind of coin--watch the Rangers do it) means he saves money by keeping Kobasew in the fold, a good but lesser player in talent and price tag.

I won't call you an idiot, b/c i'm not interested in getting into Internet flame arguments with people who would otherwise likely converse like mature adults if we were sitting face to face having a beer somewhere, but I will say that defending JJ in any way does make you an enabler to arguably the worst pro owner in sports. The indisputable record of letting top talent skate once they demand more money, then plugging in as another person mentioned on this thread aging veterans past their prime (Paul Coffey ring a bell?) and selling that nonsense to an ever forgiving and hungry fan base willing to pay his outrageous ticket prices (you gonna argue THAT point?) is out there for everyone to see.

The new salary cap as I said before allows his disinterest in winning it all to be masked by being able to use previously stupid contracts to "prove" they're trying to win. Also, JJ is the kind of owner who--like Sinden always did--play chicken w/players to prove a point. He won't give Kess the $$$ b/c he wants to be the Big Dog. He doesn't care that Kess is a 23-year old potential offensive superstar who could put a team like the B's over the top. He'll 'save" the money, and take draft picks that will yield some good players who--as the pattern repeats itself as it has for almost 40 years now--will be let go once they try to get a big contract. And so it goes.

Everything I'm saying about Kessel is subject to ridicule if I'm proved wrong and they sign him. That would show me something--that the Bruins realize 37 years is way too long for an original 6 frabchise and a rabid loyal fan base to go without a Stanley Cup. They'd make the necessary moves to let other players go to keep a guy who only has the potential to get better and better, who has speed, scoring touch, and youth on his side. 

But don't say i didn't warn you if the Rangers pony up the $$$ instead and Kess scores a break-your-heart OT goal that knocks the B;s out of the playoffs next year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

heres the thing, I don't like JJ, but the cap is the solution to the problem of owners like that. It is very clear that he has told PC that he has 56.8 million to spend, and to go gettem.

JJ does not stand to save any money by losing kessel, the nature of the cap is that if salary comes in, it goes out somewhere. The issue here is that the cap is set to go down next year, and the Bs have to be careful about how they spend this year.

Since the cap was created, there is absolutely no evidence that Jacobs has anything to do with the product on the ice....as it should be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

all the evidence you need that JJ is involved with player negotiations is staring you in the face.  They havent signed Kessel.........period..thats all you need to know.  They will let him go to another team (Try thinks its the Rangers, I say its the Flyers).  Then they will sign mark Messier or Eric Lindross to a one year deal so they can say to the fans "well, the value we placed on Phil wasnt as high as what he flet he was worth, so we sigend some veteran leadership with a scoring touch to fill the void".  Then, we Kool Aid drinkers sit there and say "maybe this 50 year old veteran still has something left in the tank".  So we get a few draft picks for Kessel, and one turns out to be another Kessel...only to be traded a year before his contract is up because he turns into a player...and so it goes.  The Bruins are the hockey version of the Marlins.....tease the fans with some decent seasons.....stock pile the young talent to tease the fans once again.....play them until their contract is about to end, then trade them for more youth and/or draft picks.......STOP WITH THE SALARY CAP!!!!!!!!! because he spends up to the salary cap doesnt mean its managed properly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010's posts

Not only Milan will play to the level that we all know he is capable of, but he will exceed all the experts expectations ...I wouldnt be surprised if he would score 25 to 30 goals this year + his checking and leadership ....

Cant compete with this team this season

GO BRRRUINS ! ! ! !

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

dude you don't get it, there is a SALARY cap, the bruins can only spend 56.8 million dollars, they had two young studs that needing signing, and the reality was that due to their cap restrictions they might only be able to sign one....so they identified the more crucial one, and signed him. Now they try to work out a cheap deal for Kessel becaues there is a salary cap you brain dead morbidly asinine fools

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

dude you don't get it, there is a SALARY cap, the bruins can only spend 56.8 million dollars, they had two young studs that needing signing, and the reality was that due to their cap restrictions they might only be able to sign one....so they identified the more crucial one, and signed him. Now they try to work out a cheap deal for Kessel becaues there is a salary cap you brain dead morbidly asinine fools
    Posted by dkrejci46

Can you show me where the team is up against the cap? If they are against the cap with this group of players without Kessel, then PC blows as bad as JJ does.  My dead brain cant seem to find where it shows the teams current salaries for the year.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Savard,Lucic,Krejci,Chara,Thomas,Ryder,Wideman,Julien,Wheeler,Rask. Ten good reasons right there.

Sections
Shortcuts