10 things we know a month into the season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

10 things we know a month into the season

Dont feel shy at nodding your head at the following 10 things we know about our Bs...

1. Patrice Bergeron is our best player on the ice
    2. Savards injury has effected both the first and second lines.
    3. Chara has been a non factor at defending his Norris trophy.
    4. Tuuka Rask has been stellar as a rookie
    5. Mark Recchi is mad old
    6. Claude Julien is juggling his lines every game
    7. The Big bad bruins are the big bad goal scorers
    8. Our powerplay is absolutely pathetic - see previous number 7
    9. David Krecji could be the biggest disappointment so far 14 games = 5 points?!
    10. 4-6 weeks seems like a life time away...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flossy8. Show flossy8's posts

Re: 10 things we know a month into the season

I agree with everying except #2 because the Bruins were playing like garbage with him in the lineup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

They may have been playing like garbage, but they were scoring garbage (compared to now at least).  With him, maybe a couple of the past few losses at least get to overtime.
    What Boston-kyle likely meant though is that with him out of the lineup, other teams are better able to spread their defense around, and the second line is struggling as much as the first as a result.
    I whole-heartedly agree with #10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

thank you DrCC you are def right about the impact of savards absence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

5 more:

1. The return of Savard and Lucic might push this team into the post-season, but won't make them good enough to get out of the 2nd round, and very likely not even the first.

2. Kessel's goal production will be missed. Whether you think the B's had a realistic shot at keeping him is up for debate, but all that talk about his 36 goals being "not important b/c most were against non-playoff teams" is proven to be ridiculous.

3. I predicted that Recchi would be this year's version of last year's John Smoltz and I was dead on right. (Since all I ever get is beaten up on these boards by the pollyannas who don't want to hear a single negative thing about their team or the mgt/ownership responsible for it I decided I'd pat myself on the back.)

4. If PC wants to earn his salary he'll do something dramatic to deal for a sniper with those draft picks everyone thinks are so great from losing Kessel. If he doesn't this team is going straight down the drain.

5. You can now tack on another year to the 37-year Cup drought. I don't care how rose-colored your glasses are, you MUST admit that this year's team has NO CHANCE of winning the Stanley Cup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 10 things we know a month into the season:
    [QUOTE]They may have been playing like garbage, but they were scoring garbage (compared to now at least).  With him, maybe a couple of the past few losses at least get to overtime. What Boston-kyle likely meant though is that with him out of the lineup, other teams are better able to spread their defense around, and the second line is struggling as much as the first as a result. I whole-heartedly agree with #10. Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

You know I really don't think that Savard and Lucic are going to necessarily change this team when they come back as much as I don't think if Kessel were healthy playing here all season. The Bs are just that bad on defense and actually getting pucks on the net. They cannot finish!

Funny how some posters are blaming Thomas we'd be worse if it weren't for Tim. Ryder and Wideman are not going to make it past Christmas and they shouldn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from STFU-Yankee-fans. Show STFU-Yankee-fans's posts

Where I can see everyones point and agree with most of it. I would like to say the season is young. I'm not going to sit here and defend the bruins because as everyone can see they've been playing like horse crap. As of the late the defense has been there and the giant (CHARA) has been coming around.

Season is young and the true fans know it...

Lets go bruins....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

[QUOTE]5 more: 1. The return of Savard and Lucic might push this team into the post-season, but won't make them good enough to get out of the 2nd round, and very likely not even the first. 2. Kessel's goal production will be missed. Whether you think the B's had a realistic shot at keeping him is up for debate, but all that talk about his 36 goals being "not important b/c most were against non-playoff teams" is proven to be ridiculous. 3. I predicted that Recchi would be this year's version of last year's John Smoltz and I was dead on right. (Since all I ever get is beaten up on these boards by the pollyannas who don't want to hear a single negative thing about their team or the mgt/ownership responsible for it I decided I'd pat myself on the back.) 4. If PC wants to earn his salary he'll do something dramatic to deal for a sniper with those draft picks everyone thinks are so great from losing Kessel. If he doesn't this team is going straight down the drain. 5. You can now tack on another year to the 37-year Cup drought. I don't care how rose-colored your glasses are, you MUST admit that this year's team has NO CHANCE of winning the Stanley Cup.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I do support that we look for a sniper - a true goal scoring threat. Kessel wasnt the answer, didnt like boston wanted ALOT of money and a potential #1 overall pick is a gods gift for giving up kessel. add in another first rounder. Id trade a #1 overall pick for kessel ANY day. PC needs to find a renta player to fill the void in the meantime.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcater. Show dcater's posts

Sturm is basically a latter day Josef Stumpel, who both were adept at going into as much as 25-30 game fogs where there was virtually no production, but then they would go into scoring/point bonanzas that would net them 20 points in a 10-game span. I never really accepted him as worth in the Thornton trade, but he was actually very good a few years ago as a B. The B's do need scoring help, and they need to find something that can score 30 goals. The rest of the team is a mystery offensively. The d-men were scoring at a strong clip last year, but not at all this year. Ryder might be having his Canadien bounce like he did the year prior to becoming a Bruin, but he does have some bad luck, pucks off the post about 3 or 4 times that were for-sure goals. The team is reeling offensively, which is sad since they have a great goaltending tandem. You do what you do, it's up to Chickarelli (sic) to find a player who can score immediately. They need to deal draft picks too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeremyCJohnson. Show JeremyCJohnson's posts

I totally agree with the comment made that the season is young and the true fans know it.

Come on - it's early November! I'd love for the Bruins to be undefeated at this point but who really cares what your record is up until late Feb as long as your lingering around the playoffs picture. Look how mediocre the Pens were last year until they starting firing on all cylinders in Feb...seems to me I recall the same happening to the Ducks, Flames and Canes recently...all who've won cups or had really deep runs.

If last season taught us anything it's that the real season begins in March - to get in a good grove when the playoffs roll around in April. Think of Oct thru Feb as the preseason and calm down for God sakes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

[QUOTE]5 more: 1. The return of Savard and Lucic might push this team into the post-season, but won't make them good enough to get out of the 2nd round, and very likely not even the first. 2. Kessel's goal production will be missed. Whether you think the B's had a realistic shot at keeping him is up for debate, but all that talk about his 36 goals being "not important b/c most were against non-playoff teams" is proven to be ridiculous. 3. I predicted that Recchi would be this year's version of last year's John Smoltz and I was dead on right. (Since all I ever get is beaten up on these boards by the pollyannas who don't want to hear a single negative thing about their team or the mgt/ownership responsible for it I decided I'd pat myself on the back.) 4. If PC wants to earn his salary he'll do something dramatic to deal for a sniper with those draft picks everyone thinks are so great from losing Kessel. If he doesn't this team is going straight down the drain. 5. You can now tack on another year to the 37-year Cup drought. I don't care how rose-colored your glasses are, you MUST admit that this year's team has NO CHANCE of winning the Stanley Cup.
    When are you morons going to calm down about being in a slump.  For gods sake Pittsburgh was not even in a playoff spot last December and they won the cup!!
    Relax the boys will come back PC will add some scoring depth and Chara and Krejci will get it going!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdiddly. Show jdiddly's posts

the season is young and the true fans know it is a lot of bunk.  love how being critical of a club you've followed your entire life makes you a bandwagon fan at best and a hater at worst.

there were huge expectations by the black & gold faithful coming off last season and i don't mean coming out of the gate 10-0 and steam rolling everyone.  to my mind, anything but a conference finals appearance would make for a two steps back season and because this team is not as good as last year's, that's what we're looking at.

yes the season is young...but if the team, as currently constituted, "rights the ship," they're still not as good as the pens, the caps or the flyers and the habs, blueshirts and devils are probably as good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamjoethornton. Show iamjoethornton's posts

It's brutal reading the negativity in these forums.  Any person who has played on a team in basically any sport knows that teams hit slumps.  Last night against the Wings there were plenty of chances that simply did not go in.  It is frustrating indeed but I don't get why we need to make statements like "there is no chance this team is going to win a cup."  Honestly I would rather sort stuff out now and hit our stride in February/March leading into April than have the season we had last year.

Confidence will come back to the team once we string a few wins together.  Our goaltending and defense has tightened up big time.  The last three games we've done pretty well, once we start putting the puck in the net again we're fine.

Perhaps I am kidding myself but I am going to be patient with this team.  We are talented and deep, we are the only team that can hurt ourselves with lack of effort.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ranoodle31. Show ranoodle31's posts

[QUOTE] Perhaps I am kidding myself but I am going to be patient with this team. 

Posted by iamjoethornton[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes you are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE] 5. You can now tack on another year to the 37-year Cup drought. I don't care how rose-colored your glasses are, you MUST admit that this year's team has NO CHANCE of winning the Stanley Cup.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and defend the way the Bruins have been playing, no question they have been playing awful and if the playoffs started tomorrow (well we wouldn't be taking part) we would be in awful shape.
    You used the John Smoltz analogy so I assume your a baseball fan. In 2004 the Red Sox were pretty brutal for a stretch longer than this one. They played sub 500 ball for a long time, and after they made the Nomar trade, for about 10 games things looked like they couldn't get any worse. I remember looking at my dad and saying "I can't see how we'll even make the playoffs at this point."
    5 years of watching teams go through peaks and valleys has taught me that you really can't count out a team, especially in a sport such as hockey, after a small sample of what they can do.
    So many things could happen between now and playoff time. A trade could be made, a few guys that aren't buying into the system might all of a sudden start buying into the system, perhaps an adjustment on the breakout or something like that.
    The point is while it looks right now like this team is going nowhere but down, to say that there is no chance to contend for a cup is premature.
    Again, I am not defending the Bruins play, don't give me this, blah blah blah apologist crp, but the Red Wings (up until last night apparently) have played just as bad as the Bruins, and you would be crazy to say that they could not contend for a cup.
    Its just too early to make that call, you may be right, I personally think your wrong, but regardless, we'll all just have to wait, and see what changes occur with the players, system, and team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Disappointments-  Sturm is up there but i'm cutting him a little slack because he is coming off a huge injury.  Ryder, Wideman, and Chara are all underperforming in a big way.  Don't think Tukka has been stellar but he has been decent and TT has been good. 

Sections
Shortcuts