13th Forward

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

13th Forward

In the event of an injury or if Seguin can't keep up and is sent back to the OHL who is the 13th forward? Naturally I imagine Caron or Colborne would be the choice of many, but I think they need one year in the AHL. Something that would have benefited Wheeler's development.

Looking down the list of candidates I'm split between Marchand and Reich. Marchand could be the agitator we have been lacking, but he can take to many dumb penalties. On the other hand Reich could rechallange Thornton for the enforcers job providing protection for everyone, but then Paille is pushed into the top three and our scoring capabilities take a hit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: 13th Forward

I assume you mean who is the current 13th forward who would move up if Seguin is sent back to Plymouth?  Marchand's job to lose right now.  He's versatile in that he's shown he can score at a high level in the A, yet, because he plays an aggravating game, he can fit in on an energy line that drives the opposition to distraction.  I'm curious to see if his 20 game audition last year produced any lessons that have sunk in over the summer.  That is, will we see a more seasoned Marchand or not. If yes, than Caron will have to work hard to push him out.  Reich is only a consideration if Thornton or Campbell go down.

I wrote elsewhere that a lack of speed on the wing may give Sauve an outside shot at making the team ahead of other players with more rounded skills, so I'll say it's Marchand's to lose with Sauve and Caron knocking on the door depending on what qualities the coaching staff decides they need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Agree with Bookboy, Reich is out of the picture unless something happens to Thornton.  Marchand would be the 13th guy as it stands with Colborne, Sauve, and Caron as the first call ups.  Keep in mind that Sturm comes back midseason too, which will push someone out unless there are injuries.  I can't wait to watch our top two lines in Providence and I am hopeful that one of them is ready for the NHL by midseason to cover injuries or a Ryder demotion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

I also agree with bookboy. Sauve has the set of wheels that the Bs lack on the wings and (I believe) is healthy now. With the current crop of young talent, the PBs should really be a great team this year. Lot's of depth (at least up front).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Agreed as well. Marchand is versatile enough that he can play a grinder's role but  hopefully can also add a scoring touch as he did in Providence. We'll see. If Caron has a tremendous camp, it could be a battle, but I think BB is right in that Marchand has the inside track. 

Reich's role is to re-don the "C" and help the youngsters in Providence. I don't see him in Boston at all, unless perhaps Thornton gets hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I have a feeling Jared Knight is going to make some noise at training camp and make it hard to send him down, although he'll definitely benefit from more seasoning. Could be a wildcard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins already have Marchand type grinders don't need anymore. If Caron or Sauve didn't beat Brad out then I would be disappointed as Brad has not shown me he can control the puck in the corners or come out of the corners with the puck. Marchand gets knocked off the puck at the NHL too much for my taste.

Sauve and Caron have more skill than Brad. The Bruins need more offense Caron and Sauve need to seize this moment now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I agree.  Never liked Marchand.  Sauve's speed and skill and Caron's strength and hockey sense outweight Marchand's sandpaper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: 13th Forward:
    [QUOTE]I have a feeling Jared Knightis going to make some noise at training camp and make it hard to send him down, although he'll definitely benefit from more seasoning. Could be a wildcard.
    Posted by bear-in-the-woods[/QUOTE]

Yes as stated on another thread he'll make some heads turn although since he's elligible to be sent back to Juniors it'll be tough he stays. One thing for sure he'll make an impression and you watch him with U.S Junior team.
    I also feel Marchand lacked that little umff offensively and had multiple defensive lapses that lead to goals (like not following his player). Then again who knows because I would have chosen him over Whitfield in the playoffs and had Sobotka play center on the 4th line but Julien stuck with his guns. For more experience ?  With that ideology then he'll take Marchand over Sauve or Caron.
    I like what Sauve brings , quickness and pretty good hockey sense. I would have gambled in the playoffs and bring this kid full of energy. 
    Caron also if he worked on his skating over the summer has a great chance to make the team, as the 13th forward.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Marchand has played 20 games of limited TOI in the NHL. That's the very definition of SSS.

I'm not Marchand's biggest fan, but I think I'll reserve judgement until he plays a bit more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

the 13th forward is Matt Hunwick, he will have to play a dual role until the Ryder/Sturm cap situation is figured out.  They do not have the cap space to call up any of the Providence guys. (Unless there is another LTIR situation)

MacQuaid can fill in for Hunwick at D when Hunwick plays forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]the 13th forward is Matt Hunwick, he will have to play a dual role until the Ryder/Sturm cap situation is figured out.  They do not have the cap space to call up any of the Providence guys. (Unless there is another LTIR situation) MacQuaid can fill in for Hunwick at D when Hunwick plays forward.
    Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

They do have someone on LTIR,  Sturm.  I know it's till mid-November but if there were a player to come in at the start of the seaosn as the 13th forward it would not be Hunwick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

even with Sturm on LTIR, they only have less than 413k in cap space.  It will definately be Hunwick because there is no AHL guy that makes less than 500k.

(3,087,771.00)
    current cap space
         3,500,000.00add back Sturm TIR
            412,229.00 space under cap
     capgeek.com  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 13th Forward:[QUOTE]the 13th forward is Matt Hunwick, he will have to play a dual role until the Ryder/Sturm cap situation is figured out.  They do not have the cap space to call up any of the Providence guys. (Unless there is another LTIR situation) MacQuaid can fill in for Hunwick at D when Hunwick plays forward. Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

You know that's a good point and it means more ice time for both Hunwick and McQuaid which is what they both need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I really want Joe Colborne to make it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Brad Marchand is another Nevin Markwart.  Pesky player who will play on the fourth line, and the AHL.   

The team needs scoring so it will undoubtedly be Caron or Colborne.  The Hunwick thought is interesting, certainly fits into the coach's defensive scheme.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

enlighten me pbergeron37,

given the assumptions, Sturm on LTIR, Seguin, Ryder & MacQuaid making the club, and no transactions are made, Where is the cap space to have a 13th forward?  they can only keep 1 extra player (MacQuaid) due to the cap.  If you rather have a 13th forward than a 7th defenseman then Marchand & Sauve are the candidates to make the club due to their cap hits.  They would need to move salary to have Caron or Colborne on the team.

obviously if someone is injured/demoted/traded you can replace them.  I get it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]enlighten me pbergeron37, given the assumptions, Sturm on LTIR, Seguin, Ryder & MacQuaid making the club, and  no transactions are made , Where is the cap space to have a 13th forward?  they can only keep 1 extra player (MacQuaid) due to the cap.  If you rather have a 13th forward than a 7th defenseman then Marchand & Sauve are the candidates to make the club due to their cap hits.  They would need to move salary to have Caron or Colborne on the team. obviously  if someone is injured/demoted/traded you can replace them.  I get it
    Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

Actually I am not sure this is even true unless the other injured player, is injured badly enough to go on LTIR.  I am not sure of all of the circumstances, but at one point I was under the impreesion that you counted the 20 guys who dressed each night.  I have since learned that the only way to remove a salary temporarily is a demotion to Providence, via trade, or on LTIR.

So in short I agree with Ocram as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I too like Ocram's thoughts and logic. I also am confused on Sauve. Who has seen him play at a Pro level?? I thought his time in Providence was limited due to injury, and he needs more seasoning. Additionally the blogs and commentators have indicated that Caron was the "most ready" for the NHL. Since he too needs some Pro-level experience it's too soon to accord him the nod. However, unless Peter makes another move, like Ference or Ryder, there isn't any cap room for anyone not on the Bruins roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I would have liked the question to have been rephrased in a sensible way, like what if Savard gets another concussion or Wheeler blows out a knee or if Sturm gets hurt 3 games after coming back.

Seguin isn't getting sent back to juniors.  No how.  No way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

[QUOTE]Brad Marchand is another Nevin Markwart.  Pesky player who will play on the fourth line, and the AHL.    The team needs scoring so it will undoubtedly be Caron or Colborne.  The Hunwick thought is interesting, certainly fits into the coach's defensive scheme.
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Markwart = Marcahnd ?? Maybe in skill, but Markwart aka " the kamikaze kid " could throw wrecking ball hits and was a pseudo-enforcer for a few years for the Bs ( see fights w/ Gord Donnelly, Shane Corson, George McPhee etc ) ..... he was Pie McKenzie-like in terms of pound for pound toughness

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 13th Forward : Markwart = Marcahnd ?? Maybe in skill, but Markwart aka " the kamikaze kid " could throw wrecking ball hits and was a pseudo-enforcer for a few years for the Bs ( see fights w/ Gord Donnelly, Shane Corson, George McPhee etc ) ..... he was Pie McKenzie-like in terms of pound for pound toughness  
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]

Fragile is my thought because of those characteristics.  Marchand will be too.... not sure he can perfect his game enough to play in the NHL.  Back to Nevin, he was so fun to watch in his aggressive game, kamikaze is right on.  No Pie though... that player was plain tough.  

Sections
Shortcuts