#22's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: #22's number

not so loudIn Response to Re: #22's number:
    In Response to Re: #22's number : I think that player's name was "DAVE REID!!!"  At least, that's how Fred always pronounced it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

not so loud, it's 1am in the morning !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Just out of interest, is "999" retired League wide yet ?

It's funny that the Bruins have retired so many numbers between 1-9, and we haven't even won a Cup in the last 38 years...

If we keep this up, we'll soon be into the triple digits on jerseys...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Crazy idea #46446643535....

I think we should unretire any Bruins' number who did not play on a Stanley Cup winning team in Boston...

Just sayin'....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number:
    Crazy idea #46446643535.... I think we should unretire any Bruins' number who did not play on a Stanley Cup winning team in Boston... Just sayin'....
    Posted by RMiller87

The Bruins have a ridiculous number of retired numbers.  I think numbers ought to be unretired after 100 years.  At the rate they are going they will have to because they won't have any numbers left.

And I disagree with them retiring numbers the way they do.  #24 - but not Cheevers or Brad Park?  How about Willie O'Ree, the first black guy to play?  Why not retire his number, too?

And why can't goalies get #0 or #00?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : The Bruins have a ridiculous number of retired numbers.  I think numbers ought to be unretired after 100 years.  At the rate they are going they will have to because they won't have any numbers left. And I disagree with them retiring numbers the way they do.  #24 - but not Cheevers or Brad Park?  How about Willie O'Ree, the first black guy to play?  Why not retire his number, too? And why can't goalies get #0 or #00?
    Posted by BadHabitude

In 85 years, they've retired 10.  That's not that bad.  A few guys from each generational class seem to get the nod.  It should really only be nine, but they were getting killed at the box office, so they retired O'Reilly's number as a publicity stunt (I believe).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

10 drafted in 2010. or 92 he was born in 92 and his fav # is 9 and he will be picked 2nd. I hope it is 10. Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Playmaker like #10 Ratelle or #92 is good but in honor of Jean would be better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

In Response to #22's number : you left off some big names. just want to give the recognition... 1: LEMELIN Vachone & Peters, 13: GUERIN, 12: CAPTAIN CASHMAN 14: SANDERSON & MCTAVISH, 16: How can you leave off NIFFTY RICK MIDDLETON & PETER DORRIS, 17: MARQUART,  18:  KIETH CROWDER WAS NO DEFENSEMAN, 22:PARK 25:KRUSHELNISKI 26:WESLEY 28: LARSON  35: MOOG, that is enough for now.
    Posted by 54BLITZER

Pretty sure Sanderson wore #16 during the Stanley Cup years, only wore #14 after coming back from the WHA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Savard #91 was drafted 91st, #2 retired hopefully he takes 10 over 92, 29 or 19 and if it is Hall hopefully it is 44 and he wears the double as well as Bourque did the double 7 of Espo.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Seidenberg is 44

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If it's Hall - #10.  Pure goal-scorer number in many instances including Bure (who Hall can sometimes bring to mind with his manic will to score) and *groan* Lafleur.

If it's Seguin - #13.  I can see the ego number #92, too, but hope it doesn't come to that.

They stuck #6 on Thornton because hey, it was going to be retired when he finished his multiple cup-winning stint in Boston and why not fill that gap, right?  No surprise he switched out of it after the first year made you wonder if he'd ever come around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

I like #10 for a low number and think 88 would look good on a Bruin star!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : The Bruins have a ridiculous number of retired numbers.  I think numbers ought to be unretired after 100 years.  At the rate they are going they will have to because they won't have any numbers left. And I disagree with them retiring numbers the way they do.  #24 - but not Cheevers or Brad Park?  How about Willie O'Ree, the first black guy to play?  Why not retire his number, too? And why can't goalies get #0 or #00?
    Posted by BadHabitude

So 10 out of the available 98 numbers are retired. That leaaves a whole bunch. They only retire the very very best. Willie O'Ree didn't play a ton and wasn't one of the greatest players to ever play. If you unretire those who didn't win you take away Neely and Bourque? To of the greatest Bruins to ever play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to #22's number : you left off some big names. just want to give the recognition... 1: LEMELIN Vachone & Peters, 13: GUERIN, 12: CAPTAIN CASHMAN 14: SANDERSON & MCTAVISH, 16: How can you leave off NIFFTY RICK MIDDLETON & PETER DORRIS, 17: MARQUART,  18:  KIETH CROWDER WAS NO DEFENSEMAN, 22:PARK 25:KRUSHELNISKI 26:WESLEY 28: LARSON  35: MOOG, that is enough for now.
    Posted by 54BLITZER

First off why do we care about what number the 22nd player in the draft wears...he won't even be a Bruin ;-). I know he meant the 2nd.

Secondly, to the original poster...since when do numbers get assigned by position in the NHL....except goalies?? Forwards and defensemen both wear numbers you claim belong to a defensemen.

Lastly, to 54BLITZER...Derek Sanderson wore 16. 

If the number is not retired by the Bruins who cares who wore it in the past, the new kid is going to build his own legacy with it, or not!

However, with that said, I'll recognize some of the available numbers worn by players who actually won a cup for Boston...some posters here are likely too young to remember:

6 - Ted Green
    10 - Rick Smith (also wore 23)
    11 - Wayne 'Swoop' Carlton and Bill 'Shaky' Walton
    12 - Wayne Cashman (was recognized)
    14 - Garnet 'Ace' Bailey (RIP - 911)
    16 - 'Turk' Sanderson
    17 - Fred Stanfield and Stan Jonathon (later)
    18 - 'Steady' Eddie Westfall
    19 - Johnny 'Pie' McKenzie
    20 - Dallas Smith
    21 - Don Marcotte (hi also wore 29 in 1970)
    24 - Bill Spears
    25 - Gary Doak
    26 - Don Awrey
    27 - Reggie Leach (don't think he was on cup winner though)
    30 - Gerry Cheevers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : So 10 out of the available 98 numbers are retired. That leaaves a whole bunch. They only retire the very very best. Willie O'Ree didn't play a ton and wasn't one of the greatest players to ever play. If you unretire those who didn't win you take away Neely and Bourque? To of the greatest Bruins to ever play.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

The "very very" best?  Like maybe only HOF players?

#3 Lionel Hitchman - not in the Hall of Fame?? gee, this guy put up 27 goals and 33 assists in his entire career of 414 games.  Shocking that they didn't put him in the HOF.  He was first Bruins captain.

#24 O'Reilly.  Not in the Hall of fame.  He fought and scored goals and was a fan favorite.  Excellent reason to retire his number.  The heck with more skilled players like Middleton, Cashman (also was team captain), Ratelle and Park.

And I said after 100 years.

And about 10 numbers out of 85 years, but let me point out 7 of those numbers were retired in the last 30 years.

Gee, in the last + - 40 years we had 2 cups and 7 retired numbers.

In the first + - 50 years they had 3 Stanley Cups and 3 numbers retired.

And no goalie numbers retired, despite having 7 HOF goalies.

I agree with what you said, retired numbers really should be for the "very very best" - and the Bruins have had 2:  Bobby Orr and Eddie Shore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : First off why do we care about what number the 22nd player in the draft wears...he won't even be a Bruin ;-). I know he meant the 2nd. Secondly, to the original poster...since when do numbers get assigned by position in the NHL....except goalies?? Forwards and defensemen both wear numbers you claim belong to a defensemen. Lastly, to 54BLITZER...Derek Sanderson wore 16.  If the number is not retired by the Bruins who cares who wore it in the past, the new kid is going to build his own legacy with it, or not! However, with that said, I'll recognize some of the available numbers worn by players who actually won a cup for Boston...some posters here are likely too young to remember: 6 - Ted Green 10 - Rick Smith (also wore 23) 11 - Wayne 'Swoop' Carlton and Bill 'Shaky' Walton 12 - Wayne Cashman (was recognized) 14 - Garnet 'Ace' Bailey (RIP - 911) 16 - 'Turk' Sanderson 17 - Fred Stanfield and Stan Jonathon (later) 18 - 'Steady' Eddie Westfall 19 - Johnny 'Pie' McKenzie 20 - Dallas Smith 21 - Don Marcotte (hi also wore 29 in 1970) 24 - Bill Spears 25 - Gary Doak 26 - Don Awrey 27 - Reggie Leach (don't think he was on cup winner though) 30 - Gerry Cheevers
    Posted by Soxdog67

" Shakey " Walton's first name was Mike not Bill....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : " Shakey " Walton's first name was Mike not Bill....
    Posted by saultont

Holy crap - you are so right -- cripes I must have been thinking of NBA Bill Walton...thanks for the correction!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number :

Secondly, to the original poster...since when do numbers get assigned by position in the NHL....except goalies?? Forwards and defensemen both wear numbers you claim belong to a defensemen.
    Posted by Soxdog67

If you read the beginning, it says, "Here's how I see it".  It's just perception.  It's a fun topic. 

p.s.  Goalies don't have assigned numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

the difference between gretzky and orr is that gretzky holds the records for most points, goals, and assists in a single season, and holds the record for most goals, assists, and points for a career. Had he never scored a goal, he would still own the most points record
    Posted by pbergeron37

ok,,,,,supporting the retirment of #99 because of gretzky stats as the best Foward ever.

so how does that invalidate the argument of the retirement of #4 since Orr was the Best and Highest scoring Defenseman ever???????

personally i think its stupid to retire league wide anyway, that way you could avoid this exact issue. but seeing as how they already did it for Gretzky how again do you show why Orr doesnt Deserve? and dont make me post his Resume :D

oh ya , and it should be #19 IMO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: #22's number : ok,,,,,supporting the retirment of #99 because of gretzky stats as the best Foward ever. so how does that invalidate the argument of the retirement of #4 since Orr was the Best and Highest scoring Defenseman ever??????? personally i think its stupid to retire league wide anyway, that way you could avoid this exact issue. but seeing as how they already did it for Gretzky how again do you show why Orr doesnt Deserve? and dont make me post his Resume :D oh ya , and it should be #19 IMO
    Posted by BruinsNumber4

It was an easy decision to retire #99 because no one was wearing it or had been for many, many years.  Retiring Orr's #4 would create many problems.  The first problem would be with the players that are currently wearing it.  The second problem, and a much bigger one, would be with the other teams that have it retired.  For example:  what would Montreal do?  Obviously they aren't going to take down Beliveau's banner.  Would they raise an Orr banner in Montreal?

It might not be that they don't want to do it, but that the logistics don't work.

Either that, or they simply feel that his nine (or ten or eleven, depending on what you count as a season) NHL seasons don't warrant it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

OK this should end it.

#4        Bobby Orr

#10(ten) Tyler Seguin(SayGen)!!!

Feel the hype!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

How about Horton's number? I say he wears 19. Seguin will wear 10.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

How about Horton's number? I say he wears 19. Seguin will wear 10.
    Posted by derrickmorin

Put Horton in #28 ... or #23 but not #57 to erase the memories of when Steve Heinz was our go-to-guy on offense. 

Please don't put anyone else in #6 - retire it in Ted Green's name if necessary.  Worn by Kluzak (terrible luck), Thornton (not enough effort), Glen Featherstone (not enough thuggishness), Wideman (not enough stick-em on his stick) - the number is doomed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For all of us who hate the ego numbers, I would guess Horton won't flip his old number around in Boston. 

Here's how the phone call would go:

NH:  Hello?

BB:  Horter!  It's Bitz!  Dude, you're going to love Boston.  The fans are caaa-razy about the team there.  Nothing like here.

NH:  Thanks, Bitz.  I don't know what I'm going to do about my number.  Sturm wears 16 there.

BB:  No problem!  You can flip it around and take 61!  Some storied Bruins wore that one, but it's not retired yet.

NH:  Oh yeah?  Like whom?

BB:  Me!!!  Hahahaha!  You can wear my old number there.

NH:  I gotta go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

For all of us who hate the ego numbers, I would guess Horton won't flip his old number around in Boston.  Here's how the phone call would go: NH:  Hello? BB:  Horter!  It's Bitz!  Dude, you're going to love Boston.  The fans are caaa-razy about the team there.  Nothing like here. NH:  Thanks, Bitz.  I don't know what I'm going to do about my number.  Sturm wears 16 there. BB:  No problem!  You can flip it around and take 61!  Some storied Bruins wore that one, but it's not retired yet. NH:  Oh yeah?  Like whom? BB:  Me!!!  Hahahaha!  You can wear my old number there. NH:  I gotta go.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Very good! 

I wouldn't mind bringing Bitz back to wear his old number - maybe for Wheeler, then Horton could have #26?

Sections
Shortcuts