$3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie2. Show Nolakanookie2's posts

$3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS???

Are you serious Chiarelli?

You get rid of Aaron Ward a leader for this team, you take on another contract that you buyout in Eaves and then you overpay for Derek Morris????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS???

That's a lot of money for Derek Morris.  Wow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from flossy8. Show flossy8's posts

Rediculous amount of money considering what he did and NY and the Bruins current cap situation

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsweeney. Show bruinsweeney's posts

How about we let Mr. Morris play some games before we start judging this acquisition? Remember before the beginning of last year how upset alot of Bruins fans were for the 4 million dollars given to Ryder; I think he earned alot of the fan's respect as a result of the season he had. Being in Boston could be the ideal situation for Morris, especially if he is going to be paired with Big Z. Also, Morris has played with a few of the B's while he was in Calgary; he has the talent; let's see how this signing plays out during the course of the season. Why are so many fans being negative? You cannot judge this signing one day after it happened!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurnpikeDave. Show TurnpikeDave's posts

In Response to Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS???:
    [QUOTE]Rediculous amount of money considering what he did and NY and the Bruins current cap situation
    Posted by flossy8[/QUOTE]

Agreed, numerous articles about Morris being able to sign this offseason had him getting anywhere from $1.8M-2.5M and Chiarelli signs him to 3.3. Not good value whatsoever.

Losing Ward, adding Eaves buyout money for Morris? Nope sorry. Aint gonna get it done!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS??? : Agreed, numerous articles about Morris being able to sign this offseason had him getting anywhere from $1.8M-2.5M and Chiarelli signs him to 3.3. Not good value whatsoever. Losing Ward, adding Eaves buyout money for Morris? Nope sorry. Aint gonna get it done!
    Posted by TurnpikeDave[/QUOTE]

Have you ever liked anything the bruins have done?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

How is 3.3 a ridiculous amount of money?! Have you seen some of the contracts being tossed around pro sports in the last decade or are you under a rock?!

The guy is a swift skater with a great seam pass...exactly what PC wanted.
    I guarantee his numbers skyrocket going from Phoenix to Boston.
    Yeah his stats werent great on NY either but do you know how hard it is starting at the deadline on a new team with a new system and trying to keep your game together?

Give Morris a chance already. I think 3.3 is an AMAZING signing. Thats half a million short of his pay last year and he is one of the best FA defenseman on the market. The ONLY reason boston got him is because we are an elite team now with a shot at the cup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS??? : Have you ever liked anything the bruins have done?
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE] The bruins could sign Jesus Christ himself, and there would still be people on here saying it was a terrible move because God was still available and for a little more money would have been much better bang for the buck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS??? : The bruins could sign Jesus Christ himself, and there would still be people on here saying it was a terrible move because God would have been much better bang for the buck.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

in the fans defense, jesus is kind of weak in the defensive zone

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

We should all remember Morris maybe this year's Michael Ryder and the main thing is we have a great team which will kick the Habs a** for years to come

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS??? : in the fans defense, jesus is kind of weak in the defensive zone
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE] Good one. LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessup07. Show jessup07's posts

great signing, pc has something else up his sleeve, i cant believe that people thinks that chia gives too much to their players, is it our fault that we have such a good group of guys,  they deserve their money, he has made more good moves than bad ones so ease up.  the cap is killing us thats all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

The cap is killing everyone, not just the B's.
    Note the lack of trades in the last 2 years, the lack of offer sheets...etc
    Teams with excellent youth like Boston, Chicago, LA, will have a window of about 2-3yrs to win a cup....then salaries will become unmanageable, they will lose those strong players, and its someone elses shot at the cup. Such is the new NHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Morris had 12 pts in 57 games with the Coyotes.
    Morris had 8 pts in 18 games with the Rangers.

Take into consideration that he had 3 players to pass the puck to in Phoenix. (40 pt or more guys)

6 guys on the Rangers are 40 pt or more, and look at the uptick in his numbers.

9 guys on the Bruins are 40 pts or more (7 forwards).

My math and statistics classes were back last century, but I have this guy projecting out to 40 pt territory for numbers.

He is a defenseman after all, and a lot depends on your forwards for your scoring stats, can they get open?  can they keep possesion if you give it to them?  can they score if you give it to them?  can they give it to you at the point so you can get a good shot off?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to $3.3 MILLION FOR DEREK MORRIS???:
    [QUOTE]Are you serious Chiarelli? You get rid of Aaron Ward a leader for this team, you take on another contract that you buyout in Eaves and then you overpay for Derek Morris????
    Posted by Nolakanookie2[/QUOTE]

Ward had 25 pts in his best season with the 2005-6 Hurricanes.  That was a good team.  Stanley Cup champions.

Morris had 48 pts in his best season on the 2002-3 Avs.  That team wasn't nearly as good as the Canes were.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

$3.3 million for Derek Morris is a ridiculous amount of money for several reasons. First, Morris in an underachiever who isn't great in his own zone. He takes a lot of games off and he gets caught up ice a ton. Second, it is a lot of money considering our cap situation. It puts us in an even worse situation cap-wise. Third, it puts the team in a lose-lose situation regarding Kessel. If we sign Kessel, we have to trade other players and hurt our depth. If we trade Kessel, we have no cap space for the player we get for him, so someone else would have to go again. In the end this could basically end up Kessel & Ward for Morris. Not a good swap. I wouldn't mind this signing so much if it was for less money, but $3.3 million for Morris is a big time overpay. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Morris had 12 pts in 57 games with the Coyotes. Morris had 8 pts in 18 games with the Rangers. Take into consideration that he had 3 players to pass the puck to in Phoenix. (40 pt or more guys) 6 guys on the Rangers are 40 pt or more, and look at the uptick in his numbers. 9 guys on the Bruins are 40 pts or more (7 forwards). My math and statistics classes were back last century, but I have this guy projecting out to 40 pt territory for numbers. He is a defenseman after all, and a lot depends on your forwards for your scoring stats, can they get open?  can they keep possesion if you give it to them?  can they score if you give it to them?  can they give it to you at the point so you can get a good shot off?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE] Good stuff, I also seen these numbers but you pointed it out (thanks).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1629888. Show user_1629888's posts

Millions of dollars to anyone that plays hockey is nuts.  But, us fans buy the tickets, or TV hockey packages.  We pay the $4. for a frigin' bottle of water.  So maybe we are all nuts?

I admire many (not all) the moves that PC makes.  I have confidence in professionalism of Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and all the other scouts the B's use.  

PC and Company are good at what they do, lets see how Morris does before we send him packing (or PC for that matter).

As for Kessel, is it his agent that wants the big pay day?  Is 3 million dollars not enough for a 21 year old to survive? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Morris is a big guy. A good thing.

Few injuries. A good thing.

He shows a lot of offensive promise. Good thing.

But from what I see he has been stuck on mediocre teams or mediocre lines, and so has a very unimpressive +/- history.

I really liked Ward, though many will argue he wasn't of the same caliber as Morris. It has recently come to my attention that the great Ray Bourque claimed defensemen reach their prime at 30. So I sorta believe it. Hence my overall conclusion here is that Morris was a good choice, though he won't be a great star or anything.

On the up side, Morris will work really hard to earn a longer-term contract, something which, as Morris has pointed out, has become very rare. He was very disappointed by the lack of long-term offers coming his way. So he will work hard. And that is a good thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Millions of dollars to anyone that plays hockey is nuts.  But, us fans buy the tickets, or TV hockey packages.  We pay the $4. for a frigin' bottle of water.  So maybe we are all nuts? I admire many (not all) the moves that PC makes.  I have confidence in professionalism of Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and all the other scouts the B's use.   PC and Company are good at what they do, lets see how Morris does before we send him packing (or PC for that matter). As for Kessel, is it his agent that wants the big pay day?  Is 3 million dollars not enough for a 21 year old to survive? 
    Posted by BBfansince67[/QUOTE]

Is it about money - oh yeah!    Not being snide just saying they all want as big a slice as they can get.
    Also Salaries go up as you score goals and the term of contracts get longer.

Some comparisons of last years goal scorers and salaries.

Player            Goals   Salary
    Ovechkin        56G    9.5M   has scored 60
    Carter           46G     5.0M signed after scoring 29G
    Parise           45G     3.1M after 2nd year scored 31G
    Kovalchuk      43G     6.3 has scored 50
    Nash             40G    5.4 nxt year then 7.8 until 2018
    Staal             40G    8.2M scored 40+ twice 1-100 Pt season
    Hossa            40G     7.4M for last year 5.2 for next 12 years
    Vanek            40G    7.1M scored 40 twice
    Cammalleri       39G    6M scored over 30 twice
    Heatley          39G     7.5M scored 50 twice
    Marleau          38G     6.3M scored over 30 3 times
    Erickson         36G     1.6M RFA next Year
    Kessel            36G     2.2M RFA
    Malkin             35G    8.7M scored 47 last year

Kessel is going to score goals, that is what he has done since he started hockey and he will continue to do so. His dollar per goal is pretty good compared to the prima donnas. Goal scorers have always rated a higher salary than most and that will continue as well. Personally I hope to see Kessel here next year as he is going to score wherever he goes. He may not have a Savard but there are a lot of good centres out there and he will see a lot more PP time in the future.

I support the deal on Morris and I can't wait to see his fit in Boston, yes it would have been great to sign him for 1M, but there aren't many Recchi's out there looking for 1 more cup and not caring as much about the money. His 20 goals for a million are pretty good though.

Greatest Of All Time!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

Give Morris a chance.  I think most fans are p---ed off because they thought trading Ward would free up cap space to sign Kessel.  Chiarelli dealt Ward to free up cap space for Morris, not sign Kessel.  Yes, if he wants to sign Kess, he'll have to deal someone else, probably Kobasew.  Sorry to see Ward go, sorry to see Kobasew go (if that happens), but the B's should still be in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Morris had 20 points last year. Steve Montador had 21. Dennis Seidenberg had 10 more points than Morris and is 2 years younger (and was also available). Paying Morris $3.3 million for 20 points is a vast overpay.

This guy has showed offensive promise for years, but never put it together. He is 30 now. How long can you talk about a guy's promise? He hasn't always been on mediocre teams. He's been on some good teams in Colorado. Anyway, being on bad or mediocre teams isn't an excuse. Marc Streit was on the worst team in the league last year and still had 56 points. If you have the game, you can put up the numbers no matter what kind of team you're on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurnpikeDave. Show TurnpikeDave's posts

“Morris has gone backwards,’’ one Eastern Conference executive wrote in an e-mail. “No longer a top-four D. His mobility for a 6-foot guy is surprisingly average at best. Offensively, his game isn’t what it once was and he has trouble defending the rush. Shocked at what they paid him. For close to the money, [Francois] Beauchemin is a way better player. They were better with Ward for my money.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2009/07/26/bruins_hope_defenseman_morris_provides_boost_to_offense

Sections
Shortcuts