3rd Pick at Best

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

3rd Pick at Best

With this loss for Carolina and looking at there remaining schedule it is clear that we are picking 3rd at best in this years draft...pretty disappointing, but if we get Fowler I'll be happy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: 3rd Pick at Best

In Response to 3rd Pick at Best:
    With this loss for Carolina and looking at there remaining schedule it is clear that we are picking 3rd at best in this years draft...pretty disappointing, but if we get Fowler I'll be happy. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

I'm still holding out for Hall or Seguin. The  Leafs will falter down the stretch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

You can't say that until all the bingo balls finish bouncing :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Does anybody know how many lottery balls each of the bottom 5 teams get to determine the order of the first 5 picks ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

i believe only the first 3 teams get the lottery picks, so tuukka, if you think the leafs will finish 3rd to last, at best we get 1st pick

No actually it is the bottom 5 teams that are eligible for the lottery pick.. no team can move down more than one spot but all five have a shot at the #1 pick if the balls bounce the right way.. It can happen.. just see Chicago in 2007 finished fifth from the bottom , the first year of the lottery and they had an 8.1% chance of winning the lottery and guess what ?  They drafted Patrick Kane #1 .. The worst team in the league that year Philthydelphia got the second pick and took VanRymsdyke who has turned into a bust ...

Odds of Winning the First Overall Pick

48.1% - No.30
    18.8% - No. 29
    14.2% - No. 28
    10.7% - No. 27
    8.1% -   No.26 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I don't think so.. last year was the same..and they stayed true to form ..

Odds of Winning the First Overall Pick

48.1% - New York Islanders
    18.8% - Tampa Bay Lightning
    14.2% - Colorado Avalanche
    10.7% - Atlanta Thrashers
    8.1% - Los Angeles Kings

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

Argh, post got eaten.  Anyways,
         The 14 teams that do not make the playoffs all go into the lottery.  But the winner can only move up 4 spots, so... Lets say the team with the best record not in the playoffs(14th worst team) wins the lottery.  They move up to the 10th pick.  But the worst team still gets to pick first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThisIsBruinsCountry. Show ThisIsBruinsCountry's posts

I was checking out the standings today.  I agree.  The Leafs pick could fall to a 5 pick, easily. They have picked it up some lately and I bet will play a nice spoiler role down the stretch. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vilho. Show Vilho's posts

I have to say Toronto is winning more lately, and despite the fact that they're playing a lot of the teams only a little bit ahead of them, most of those teams are still in the hunt for the last spot so they're not going to roll over for a lottery pick if they have a shot at the playoffs...hockey players have a little more pride than basketball players.

and Van Rymsdyke (sp?) I wouldn't say is a bust, just developing at a realistic rate and Philly has a solid veteran team that's not exactly easy to break into...not that I particularly care about JVR

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

It's not just that they're winning....they are now four points behind Carolina and look at Carolina's schedule to end the season, its brutal.  Now look at Toronto's, not tough at all.  As for behind in 3rd place and still having a chance to move up...we have almost an equal chance of dropping back the one spot that is allowed.

Like I said...Hoping for Fowler at this point...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Eberle may give Edmonton a bump going down the stretch.  And Toronto won't accrue more than 6 or 7 points from here on out, imo.  Playoff teams will start putting it together in April.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Van Rymesdyke isn't a bust, I think some people don't get the learning curve to the NHL, nor the fact that bigger players develop more slowly, calling van rymesdyke a bust is the same as calling colborne a bust.. He played 2 years in college where he was dominate by his sophomore year and jumped to the nhl..

And Mamico is correct on the Lotto, other then the last place team has a 25% chance of winning the lotto, but a 48% chance of drafting number one.. should any team outside of 5 win, the last place team still retains the first pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Eberle got sent back to the AHL, and Toronto will not pass Carolina in the standings.

Toronto will finish 29th

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Overall we have 4 1st rd picks  for 2 drafts and still we look at our youth already with NHL experience and our prospects
    Krejci Wheels Lucic Stuart Boychuk Caron Colborne etc. not a bad looking future then add either Hall Seguin Fowler or what pick we get not bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: 3rd Pick at Best:
    Sorry, you're all wrong. All the non-playoff teams get into the lottery. The lottery doesn't guarentee a number 1 pick... it moves you up 4 spaces... so any of the bottom 5 teams have a shot at number 1... anyone else just moves up considerably. All the teams you displace just move back 1 spot. Not sure about the number of balls for each team, though.
    Posted by TommyD603

Not everyone is wrong, several people have already pointed that out..

and the balls.. last gets 250 out of 1001
    second gets 188..

i don't know beyond that though but its available online if anyone is that concerned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

here's the rule per NHL

All 14 teams who miss the play-offs are entered into the lottery in order from worst to first, but the teams selected in the lottery may not move up more than four positions in the draft order, therefore, only the teams finishing in the bottom five have a possibility of picking first overall.
    Teams can move down from their position in the order by no more than one spot. Under this weighted system, the last place team will have a 25 percent chance of getting the first overall pick and can pick no lower than second overall. Fourteen balls, numbered one to fourteen are put into a lottery machine and four of the balls are drawn, forming a series of numbers. A probability chart is than used that divides the possible combinations among the 14 non-playoff teams. The four numbers are compared to the probability chart to determine which team has that number combination.

After the team selected moves up, the remainder of the teams are adjusted by one with teams moving up or down one slot to accommodate the winner, assuming that they were not originally in that slot.

Here is a chart to better help you understand:

30th........... 25.0% (250 combinations)
    29th........... 18.8% (188 combinations)
    28th........... 14.2% (142 combinations)
    27th........... 10.7% (107 combinations)
    26th.............8.1% (81 combinations)
    25th.............6.2% (62 combinations)
    24th.............4.7% (47 combinations)
    23rd.............3.6% (36 combinations)
    22nd............ 2.7% (27 combinations)
    21st.............2.1% (21 combinations)
    20th.............1.5% (15 combinations)
    19th.............1.1% (11 combinations)
    18th.............0.8% (8 combinations)
    17th.............0.5% (5 combinations)

the last place team will get either the No. 1 or No. 2 overall, it works out that last place team has a 48.2 percent chance of picking 1st compared to their 51.8 percent chance of picking second.

The best non-playoff team has a .5 percent chance of picking 10th and a 95.5 percent chance of picking 14th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: 3rd Pick at Best:
    Sorry, you're all wrong. All the non-playoff teams get into the lottery. The lottery doesn't guarentee a number 1 pick... it moves you up 4 spaces... so any of the bottom 5 teams have a shot at number 1... anyone else just moves up considerably. All the teams you displace just move back 1 spot. Not sure about the number of balls for each team, though.
    Posted by TommyD603

I think they are a grey matter team for next year, they have $34m it looks like in cap hits needing to resign Gustavson, kulemin and white, plus bonus's paid.  so they could be a real player for Kovalchuk this summer.  But aside from assuming (as the bruins did) younger players will improve they could still be a bottom of the pack team,  gigeure was probably the best pick up for them, followed by phaneuf, but how many wins do those two guys add with out anyone to help kessel up front (currently)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    Eberle got sent back to the AHL, and Toronto will not pass Carolina in the standings. Toronto will finish 29th
    Posted by KrayzieJoe

You mean he was called up to the AHL team, again.  He played a few games for them last year and did pretty well with a point per game avg.  I don't think it's a stretch that we'll see Eberle in an Oilers jersey before the season ends.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notex. Show Notex's posts

Thu Mar 18, 2010 CapitalsHurricanes
    7:00 PM FS-CR(HD) Tickets
    Sat Mar 20, 2010 HurricanesPenguins
    1:00 PM FS-CR(HD)  
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 SabresHurricanes
    5:00 PM FS-CR(HD) Tickets

formatting stinks I know - but looks like canes have a tough stretch comming up...Will ovechkin be suspended for capitals game (nice break for us/them?)

and half of the pens team should be injured after our game saturday Wink