#77 4-evah!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

#77 4-evah!

Did it ever bother anyone else that the Colorado Avalanche retired Ray Bourque's number too?

Don't get me wrong, Ray's the type of guy that should have even the odometer in his car retired and raised to the banners. But I always kinda felt the Avalance are riding the coattails of his career a bit. Sure he helped win a cup for them, but it was the last year and a half of his career. He didn't lead the team in scoring. He wasn't in the prime of his career. He was a year-or-two rental, as were guys like Kariya, Selanne, and Fleury years after. To "claim" his number as if he was one of the cornerstones of your franchise is lame.

The Avalanche were a rental to Bourque, not the other way around. He didn't hang out in Denver all summer with the cup. He brought it back home.

Ray put in all his work with the Bruins, made his career with the Bruins, and kicked Quebec/Colorado's a_s more times than games played in an Avalanche uniform. Once a Bruin, always a Bruin!

Get bent, Colorado. That's a self-serving banner to make people think you didn't cherry pick your franchise from Quebec. If they had any class to begin with, they would have kept Quebec's retired numbers (3, 8, 16, 26).

Bottom line, it's known thourghout the hockey kingdom that if you're a Boston fan, Ray Bourque is yours. Ray is Boston. Like I said, he deserves any honor people wanna give him, but if I was a Colorado fan, I'd feel like a turd. Or like a New York Yankee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

Re: #77 4-evah!

ancient history. in about five or six years youll see #30 raised to the TD garden rafters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

Wether it's ancient history or not, it accurate, well written and funny. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Doesn't matter and it's not worth getting upset about. Colorado is just paying respect to the career of Ray Bourque and the fact that their franchise helped get his name on a Stanley Cup, which was very VERY important to Ray, otherwise he never would have requested a trade. At the time, the Bruins franchise was in the toilet, so if Bourque wanted a Stanley Cup, he and Harry Sinden realized he'd have to get it elsewhere. Ray Bourque is a Bruin and will always be one.

As for #30, it's high time that Gerry Cheevers had his number retired. Maybe Tim Thomas will do the Ray Bourque routine at that time and switch his number from #30 to #300. Bwahahahahahahahahah !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

or #1 as in the number one goalie in boston AND in the entire world his stats and vezina dont lie. but at the end of the day when its all said and done thomas will edge out your great jerry cheevers in games played, wins, awards and cups i think youll change your tune on timmy t after he gives YOU and all bruins fans a Cup. by the way hows the new board are you up to 3 members yet lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

In Response to Re: #77 4-evah!:
    [QUOTE]or #1 as in the number one goalie in boston AND in the entire world his stats and vezina dont lie. but at the end of the day when its all said and done thomas will edge out your great jerry cheevers in games played, wins, awards and cups i think youll change your tune on timmy t after he gives YOU and all bruins fans a Cup. by the way hows the new board are you up to 3 members yet lol.
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]
    #1 would be a good number for Thomas. He DOES remind me of Eddie Johnston who wore that number the last time the Bruins won the Cup. Maybe it would be good karma for Thomas to get that number.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

are you going to scrap this post and debate Thomas all over again !

And to this thread , I really like this quote. That is so true !

" If they had any class to begin with, they would have kept Quebec's retired numbers (3, 8, 16, 26). "

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Well yeah Ray is ours! But isn't it at least a little flattering that our boy was so awesome that he got his number retired in 2 places?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Come to think of it, why didn't Chicago retire Orr's #4 after he retired from there ?

Sections
Shortcuts