A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agaither2179. Show agaither2179's posts

A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.

Yeah, I get it.  It's only 1 game, there's 81 more to go, and our team played horribly--no debate here.  What is debatable is the immediate (i.e. 1 year) impact of the trade of Phil Kessel.  If you're like me, having felt priviledged to have seen the game on VS via cable, you can see some serious flaws in this team as it stands.  Let's examine:

1.) Our squad had no break-out speed through the neutral zone and was NEVER a threat with the strecth pass.  Kessel gave us that last year on the right side and it was sorely missed tonight.

2.) The Marco Sturm experiment at RW is OVER.  Julien gave it a shot for 25 min and gave up on it for good reason.  Sturm is still quick, but has clearly lost a few steps as a result of surgery and doesn't catch passes in flight well on his backhand a la Gaborik, Kovalev, etc.  Let's pray Wheeler finds his scoring touch again soon b/c Sturm needs to go back to LW on Krejci's line (5 on 5)!    

3.) There is not 1 natural sniper on our roster.  Krejci missed wide several times (give him a mulligan for missing camp), Ryder came close, Wheeler looked lost, and Savard just looked frustrated that there wasn't a righty shot in the high-slot when he circled the opposing net.  A sniper (as I've heard many complain) with the ability to change the momentum quickly would have been really helpful when the game was 2-0!

4.) Savard needs Kessel just as much as Kessel needs him.  How many times did he curl the net looking for someone to cut to open space, only to find nothing or nobody with the ability to one-time in or near the high slot?      

5.) The B's will not surprise anyone this year (like they did in Oct-Nov of 08) and will get everyone's best game, every night!  This will put a lot of pressure on our  balanced attack, which clearly lacked chemistry tonight.  

Hopefully the adjustments will be made soon because I saw a team that wanted to play the way it did last year, but just didn't have that extra something, or that something special.  Phil Kessel is that player, and for the foreseeable future, he will be sorely missed.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.

I'll address the rest later, but don't give me this "other teams will gunning for them" cr@p. Every team is gunning for every team, and the team puts their best out there every night, that goes for most teams in the NHL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparkes. Show sparkes's posts

So what you are saying if kessel was still with the bruins it would be the same result, he is injured so get over it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agaither2179. Show agaither2179's posts

In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.:
    [QUOTE]So what you are saying if kessel was still with the bruins it would be the same result, he is injured so get over it.
    Posted by sparkes[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that I read a lot of garbage this summer about how replacing Kessel was just a matter of Wheeler, Bergeron, Sturm, and Lucic potting an extra 5-10 goals--as if goals were the only thing Kessel was good for.  It's not going to be that simple and a very avg Jose Theodore and Wsh defense proved that.  

That being said, Julien is a very smart coach and I'm sure he'll mix/match lines and make adjustments to compensate for the loss of elements that ONLY Kessel brought to the team....just don't expect results overnight!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

The Bruins are only one Ovechkin away from having a great team. The B's won't win many games this year unless they give up 2 goals or less a game, same chit, different year, not enough goal scorers.

Kudo's to the FO for acquiring some scoring punch(idiots).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Ok so after 1 lousy game your going to come on here and tell us all how the Kessel trade is hurting us. So what you are saying is that if we had Kessel and he wasn't injured, we would have won the game. We still lose this one with or without Kessel. I don't know if you remember last season but the Caps spanked us all year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins9186dc. Show bruins9186dc's posts

The B's only scored 8 goals in 4 games against the Caps last year; so don't give me this Kessel nonsense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Most teams have a game breaker eith speed and natural scoring abilities,,His point is,,we lost ours and thats a huge concern

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vanoosten. Show vanoosten's posts

Every contender has a 40 goal sniper on their team with speed. EVERY ONE. Name one sniper like that on the Bruins and they are contenders again. Until you do, NEXT.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

WOW, Seriously??!!

If we have a losing record in November then you are allowed to start whining. We are 1 freaking game into the season. Here's a couple Kessel facts:

1. The first line became better defensivly by him leaving.
    2. Kessel leaving does not mean squat for the 3 other lines.
    3. The 3 other lines are out there for about 75% of the game, so again, 0 impact.

The "no natural sniper" talk is BS. We had the 2nd best offense last year and it was not all Kessel.

There is always sloppy play at the start of the season, they will warm up an be better than fine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : I'm saying that I read a lot of garbage this summer about how replacing Kessel was just a matter of Wheeler, Bergeron, Sturm, and Lucic potting an extra 5-10 goals--as if goals were the only thing Kessel was good for.  It's not going to be that simple and a very avg Jose Theodore and Wsh defense proved that.   That being said, Julien is a very smart coach and I'm sure he'll mix/match lines and make adjustments to compensate for the loss of elements that ONLY Kessel brought to the team....just don't expect results overnight!   
    Posted by agaither2179[/QUOTE]

You're spot-on in this assessment, but don't expect any of the wishful "thinkers" here to look at your correct call objectively.

I too listened w/disbelief at all the theories that missing a potential 40-goal scorer like Kessel won't matter b/c all the rest of the squad will just automatically play better and pick up the slack and score an extra 5-10 goals each. Utter nonsense.

Also, the pollyannas never addressed the fact that the same teams the Bruins were about even with or worse than last year (Flyers, Devils, Caps, Pens,'Canes--and no, i'm not talking about the meaningless regular season point total, i'm talking general quality of the squads) have either upgraded their teams or come back just as strong this year--while all you can say about what's radically changed with the Bruins is that they lost their top goal scorer.

The only chance they have at getting anywhere come playoff time is convincing a team like Atlanta to part w/a guy like Kovalchuk (or some other team w/an equally high impact sniper) for those high draft picks we got for Kessel.

Otherwise get ready for another round 2 KO if not round 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from costas_v. Show costas_v's posts

I knew someone was gonna write about Kessel after this game and all I have to say in response to that is last year against washington the bruins record was 1 - 3 we do not play well against them and I somewhat expected that result last night, although I believe it would have been a bit of a different games if he REFS weren't idiots and didn't blow the whistle to negate a legitimate first goal by the bruins... Anyways KESSEL in my opinion was not missed last night, nor will he be missed, our team is solid and BERGERON looked awesome last night... no worries...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Seriously? You're going to blame that beat-down on the refs? They were beaten not b/c they "play bad against the Caps', but b/c the Caps are a clearly superior team.

I'm not saying it's ALL about Kessel...what i AM saying is that the Bruins did nothing in the offseason to significantly improve themselves and in turn they did lose their top goal scorer and a guy who just happens to have nothing but upside and speed to burn. So yes, the Bruins ARE worse off w/out him. But overall they're the virtually the same team--minus those 36 goals--that got ousted in round 2 last year.

Think playoffs, OK? This team hasn't won a cup in 37 years. Do you SERIOUSLY believe--having seen a team last night they would have to beat in the playoffs just to get out of the East, a team--ONE team--that is clearly so much better than the Bruins are, that this Bruins team is any closer this year to breaking that Cup drought?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nipasan. Show Nipasan's posts

Kessel is Gone...Better start worrying about Mr Swisscheese in net...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agaither2179. Show agaither2179's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously? You're going to blame that beat-down on the refs? They were beaten not b/c they "play bad against the Caps', but b/c the Caps are a clearly superior team. I'm not saying it's ALL about Kessel...what i AM saying is that the Bruins did nothing in the offseason to significantly improve themselves and in turn they did lose their top goal scorer and a guy who just happens to have nothing but upside and speed to burn. So yes, the Bruins ARE worse off w/out him. But overall they're the virtually the same team--minus those 36 goals--that got ousted in round 2 last year. Think playoffs, OK? This team hasn't won a cup in 37 years. Do you SERIOUSLY believe--having seen a team last night they would have to beat in the playoffs just to get out of the East, a team--ONE team--that is clearly so much better than the Bruins are, that this Bruins team is any closer this year to breaking that Cup drought?
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I agree with the premise even though I'm not ready to go that far yet.  It's NOT all about Kessel, but my point was that it is ALL about the things that he, and only he brought last year (forget about discussion of just goals, look at tactics on the ice!!!) and someone else better step up quick to fill the void or else we will need to win a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type games.  Washington is a great team (as someone else noted) but that's beside the point as they lost a few key players (Fedorov/Kozlov replaced by Morrisson) in the off-season as well and didn't get much better on paper.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cashmuney49. Show cashmuney49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : You're spot-on in this assessment, but don't expect any of the wishful "thinkers" here to look at your correct call objectively. I too listened w/disbelief at all the theories that missing a potential 40-goal scorer like Kessel won't matter b/c all the rest of the squad will just automatically play better and pick up the slack and score an extra 5-10 goals each. Utter nonsense. Also, the pollyannas never addressed the fact that the same teams the Bruins were about even with or worse than last year (Flyers, Devils, Caps, Pens,'Canes--and no, i'm not talking about the meaningless regular season point total, i'm talking general quality of the squads) have either upgraded their teams or come back just as strong this year--while all you can say about what's radically changed with the Bruins is that they lost their top goal scorer. The only chance they have at getting anywhere come playoff time is convincing a team like Atlanta to part w/a guy like Kovalchuk (or some other team w/an equally high impact sniper) for those high draft picks we got for Kessel. Otherwise get ready for another round 2 KO if not round 1.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read in my life. The fact that you can say those team were equal to or better than the Bruins last season is absurd. "Overall quality of team" certainly can be judged by the Vezina, Norris and Adams trophy, as well as seven 20 goal scorers. An pretty much 75% percent of the top 15 Plus players in the NHL. Oh, and the lowest goal against in the league. That is a pretty quality team.

As far as got better or came back equally as strong we'll see. The Flyers improved grealty with Pronger but the Penguins lose Rob Scuderi their #1 shut down guy in the post season. Can Ron Neidermayer replace Gionta, Holik and Madden at by himself? And Washington did a nice job getting Knuble and Morrison, but still need to hope that Theodore and Varlamov can hold it down on goal. And Andrew Alberts and Aaron Ward do not equally replace Anton Bacbcuk and Denis Seidenberg.

I'm not saying the Bruins are the best team in the East but the fact of the matter there top three and the team to beat in the Northeast. If they can get Kovalchuk at the deadline great or Doan from Phoenix or another goal scorer from somewhere else awesome.

But to not think that guys like Wheeler (who slowed down because he was not use to the length of schedule coming out of college), Lucic and the Return of Sturm will increase goal production you're nuts. Throw in Morris from the point on the powerplay and Hunwick for a full season.

Also, remember what I said above "Lowest goals against in the league," You don't need to finish #2 in the league in goals behind Washington when you give over the least but quite a margin.

Typical fairweather bruins fans whining after one loss, they're be all over their stank after winning a few. Get a life.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agaither2179. Show agaither2179's posts

[QUOTE]Kessel is Gone...Better start worrying about Mr Swisscheese in net...
    Posted by Nipasan[/QUOTE]

I'm always worried about Thomas.  He's clearly taken too many shots to the head.  Name one other goalie that's wearing a lacrosse throat protector instead of a standard hockey one....strange guy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Thomas is the least of their problems. This team is going to have trouble scoring goals unless they make a big-time deal for a sniper. They're going to seem a lot more like the team from two years ago than the squad from last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read in my life. The fact that you can say those team were equal to or better than the Bruins last season is absurd. "Overall quality of team" certainly can be judged by the Vezina, Norris and Adams trophy, as well as seven 20 goal scorers. An pretty much 75% percent of the top 15 Plus players in the NHL. Oh, and the lowest goal against in the league. That is a pretty quality team. As far as got better or came back equally as strong we'll see. The Flyers improved grealty with Pronger but the Penguins lose Rob Scuderi their #1 shut down guy in the post season. Can Ron Neidermayer replace Gionta, Holik and Madden at by himself? And Washington did a nice job getting Knuble and Morrison, but still need to hope that Theodore and Varlamov can hold it down on goal. And Andrew Alberts and Aaron Ward do not equally replace Anton Bacbcuk and Denis Seidenberg. I'm not saying the Bruins are the best team in the East but the fact of the matter there top three and the team to beat in the Northeast. If they can get Kovalchuk at the deadline great or Doan from Phoenix or another goal scorer from somewhere else awesome. But to not think that guys like Wheeler (who slowed down because he was not use to the length of schedule coming out of college), Lucic and the Return of Sturm will increase goal production you're nuts. Throw in Morris from the point on the powerplay and Hunwick for a full season. Also, remember what I said above "Lowest goals against in the league," You don't need to finish #2 in the league in goals behind Washington when you give over the least but quite a margin. Typical fairweather bruins fans whining after one loss, they're be all over their stank after winning a few. Get a life.
    Posted by cashmuney49[/QUOTE]

Get your own. Funny how all that post-season hardware didn't mean didley-squat for the only trophy that matters: The Stanley Cup. Individual awards and stats mean zip when your team has holes and gets KO'd in round2 of the playoffs(funny how that didn't show up in your post.)

Believe what you want...I'm so sick of these arguments and anyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid of "our team is AWESOME" is somehow being not a real fan. I guess Cubs fans who b*tch about their team not winning the WS in over 100 years aren't real fans either even tho' they watch each and every game every year.

yeah, I guess only "real" fans are the ones who just believe a team that did nothing to get better in the offseason and couldn't get out of round 2 last year AND lost their top goal scorer is just magically going to get to the finals THIS year.

you know what? 6 months from now when the B's are gone again from the playoffs after a round or 2 at best you and your insults will be nowhere to be found--or you'll be joining the chorus of rationalizers making more excuses for why the B's didn't win.....again.

Have fun watching all the 3-2, 2-1, and 1-0 losses this team will suffer this year. But hey, at least they'll have one of the best goals-allowed averages in the league. See if you can lobby for a parade down City Hall for that come June.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongTime-FirstTime. Show LongTime-FirstTime's posts

This is ridiculous. This whole Kessel point is moot anyway. Even if he was on the team this year, he still wouldn't have played last night and will be out until at least November.

Bottom line. The B's played horrible last night between the first and last 10 minutes. They looked out of sync, didn't play their puck possesion game, made poor decisions with the puck when they did posess it. Also, we have a number of players coming off serious injuries and off-seasion surguries. I won't be suprised at all if it takes a few games or even a few weeks to get "in sync". Washington is obviously a good team but the B's really helped them out last night with their poor overall play.

One more thing for the Kessel whiners. Point out a game or even a stretch of games last season where Kessel carried the team on his shoulders. Kessel NEVER carried this team or was a leader ever last year, at any point. He was a beneficiary of the systems he played in and the linemates that he had. Sure, he is a good goal scorer but he is not an Ovechkin or Crosby type that will hoist the entire team on his shoulders and win them games. I think a lot of you are comparing him to those types of players and he just is not in their class.

Had we let a player like that walk, I'd be b$#@ching right along with the rest of you!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from roninent1. Show roninent1's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins are only one Ovechkin away from having a great team. The B's won't win many games this year unless they give up 2 goals or less a game, same chit, different year, not enough goal scorers. Kudo's to the FO for acquiring some scoring punch(idiots).
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

Um, how many twenty goal plus scorers did the team have last season that returned? Recchi, Savard, Krejci, Wheeler and Ryder.

Add in a healthy Bergeron (who only had 8 last year due to missed time and coming back from the concussion) and Sturm and there is plenty of offense.

You people just like to cry about losing a greedy me-first kid with one talent...and even that, most of the league had the toe-drag followed by a wrist shot figured out about half-way through last season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agaither2179. Show agaither2179's posts

[QUOTE]This is ridiculous. This whole Kessel point is moot anyway. Even if he was on the team this year, he still wouldn't have played last night and will be out until at least November. Bottom line. The B's played horrible last night between the first and last 10 minutes. They looked out of sync, didn't play their puck possesion game, made poor decisions with the puck when they did posess it. Also, we have a number of players coming off serious injuries and off-seasion surguries. I won't be suprised at all if it takes a few games or even a few weeks to get "in sync". Washington is obviously a good team but the B's really helped them out last night with their poor overall play. One more thing for the Kessel whiners. Point out a game or even a stretch of games last season where Kessel carried the team on his shoulders. Kessel NEVER carried this team or was a leader ever last year, at any point. He was a beneficiary of the systems he played in and the linemates that he had. Sure, he is a good goal scorer but he is not an Ovechkin or Crosby type that will hoist the entire team on his shoulders and win them games. I think a lot of you are comparing him to those types of players and he just is not in their class. Had we let a player like that walk, I'd be b$#@ching right along with the rest of you!
    Posted by LongTime-FirstTime[/QUOTE]

Kessel had the longest pt streak in the league last year (16 or 17 straight games).  I won't say that it carried the team...but it was significant. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]Every contender has a 40 goal sniper on their team with speed. EVERY ONE. Name one sniper like that on the Bruins and they are contenders again. Until you do, NEXT.
    Posted by vanoosten[/QUOTE]

REALLY??? who was the 40 goal scorer on the penguins last year?

as for trytobearit, you cannot say that the caps are simply a superior team after ONE GAME....that might be the stupidest (and thats saying something) thing you've said so far. By your reckoning since we can tell so much after one game chances are that our only goal scorer this season will be Bergeron. He will have 82 goals, and nobody else will have a single one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : Um, how many twenty goal plus scorers did the team have last season that returned? Recchi, Savard, Krejci, Wheeler and Ryder. Add in a healthy Bergeron (who only had 8 last year due to missed time and coming back from the concussion) and Sturm and there is plenty of offense. You people just like to cry about losing a greedy me-first kid with one talent...and even that, most of the league had the toe-drag followed by a wrist shot figured out about half-way through last season.
    Posted by roninent1[/QUOTE]
     you forgot kobasew

also lucic at 17 and Z at 19

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disk0thek. Show Disk0thek's posts

Go root for the Maple Laughs if you miss Kessel so much.

Sections
Shortcuts