A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.

In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : REALLY??? who was the 40 goal scorer on the penguins last year? as for trytobearit, you cannot say that the caps are simply a superior team after ONE GAME....that might be the stupidest (and thats saying something) thing you've said so far. By your reckoning since we can tell so much after one game chances are that our only goal scorer this season will be Bergeron. He will have 82 goals, and nobody else will have a single one.
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

You just don't get it and never will. I'm not basing my assesment on last night's game. I'm looking at their team in general and saying: they're better than the Bruins. And I'll be proven right at the end of the season while you're still making excuses and trying to insult people to make yourself feel important.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cashmuney49. Show cashmuney49's posts

In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : Get your own. Funny how all that post-season hardware didn't mean didley-squat for the only trophy that matters: The Stanley Cup. Individual awards and stats mean zip when your team has holes and gets KO'd in round2 of the playoffs(funny how that didn't show up in your post.) Believe what you want...I'm so sick of these arguments and anyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid of "our team is AWESOME" is somehow being not a real fan. I guess Cubs fans who b*tch about their team not winning the WS in over 100 years aren't real fans either even tho' they watch each and every game every year. yeah, I guess only "real" fans are the ones who just believe a team that did nothing to get better in the offseason and couldn't get out of round 2 last year AND lost their top goal scorer is just magically going to get to the finals THIS year. you know what? 6 months from now when the B's are gone again from the playoffs after a round or 2 at best you and your insults will be nowhere to be found--or you'll be joining the chorus of rationalizers making more excuses for why the B's didn't win.....again. Have fun watching all the 3-2, 2-1, and 1-0 losses this team will suffer this year. But hey, at least they'll have one of the best goals-allowed averages in the league. See if you can lobby for a parade down City Hall for that come June.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Notice how I mentioned that I didn't think the Bruins were the best team, only that I thought they we're one of the better in the East. Ok... I didn't mention how the Bruins were "bounced" in the second round... but don't you think that the Bruins are going up hill. Why can't they get some credit for getting the organization back on track. It all has to come back to Phil Kessel.

Why do Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara and Claude Julien's individual performances mean "didly-squat" yet Phil Kessel's 36 goal are like the Holy Grail. Sort of contradicting if you ask me.

As far as me drinking "kool-aid" no thanks I'm all set. I'm follow the team like most follow the sox and pats around here. I actually the game more than the team. I was perfectly content having two hockey games to watch on TV last night. It just drives me nuts that Chiarelli has done sucha great job and people still whine. 

Oh.... and get a life

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : Get your own. Funny how all that post-season hardware didn't mean didley-squat for the only trophy that matters: The Stanley Cup. Individual awards and stats mean zip when your team has holes and gets KO'd in round2 of the playoffs(funny how that didn't show up in your post.) Believe what you want...I'm so sick of these arguments and anyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid of "our team is AWESOME" is somehow being not a real fan. I guess Cubs fans who b*tch about their team not winning the WS in over 100 years aren't real fans either even tho' they watch each and every game every year. yeah, I guess only "real" fans are the ones who just believe a team that did nothing to get better in the offseason and couldn't get out of round 2 last year AND lost their top goal scorer is just magically going to get to the finals THIS year. you know what? 6 months from now when the B's are gone again from the playoffs after a round or 2 at best you and your insults will be nowhere to be found--or you'll be joining the chorus of rationalizers making more excuses for why the B's didn't win.....again. Have fun watching all the 3-2, 2-1, and 1-0 losses this team will suffer this year. But hey, at least they'll have one of the best goals-allowed averages in the league. See if you can lobby for a parade down City Hall for that come June.
     Great posts, I agree with you 100% and can't believe these idiots who either don't understand your solid reasoning or refuse to believe what is right in front of their eyes. The Bruins actually looked scared of the Caps speed/scoring ability in the last 2 periods, the way the d-men backed in all the way to the goal line on Cap rushes and the forwards stood around and marveled at their passing ability!
    If you can't get pumped up for your home opener and sustain intensity for 60 minutes, you are going to have major issues with good teams.Can anyone logically explain what Byron Bitz brings to the table besides being big.....slow, can't check or fight and most ECHL players have more scoring ability/ I guess CJ likes him cause he can find the weight room! Dump Wheels to 4th line and get Marchand up here to skate with Savard NOW!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : You're spot-on in this assessment, but don't expect any of the wishful "thinkers" here to look at your correct call objectively. I too listened w/disbelief at all the theories that missing a potential 40-goal scorer like Kessel won't matter b/c all the rest of the squad will just automatically play better and pick up the slack and score an extra 5-10 goals each. Utter nonsense. Also, the pollyannas never addressed the fact that the same teams the Bruins were about even with or worse than last year (Flyers, Devils, Caps, Pens,'Canes--and no, i'm not talking about the meaningless regular season point total, i'm talking general quality of the squads) have either upgraded their teams or come back just as strong this year--while all you can say about what's radically changed with the Bruins is that they lost their top goal scorer. The only chance they have at getting anywhere come playoff time is convincing a team like Atlanta to part w/a guy like Kovalchuk (or some other team w/an equally high impact sniper) for those high draft picks we got for Kessel. Otherwise get ready for another round 2 KO if not round 1.
    I think the problem here is that those 'pollyannas' assume that a bunch of young players will greatly improve, and that Sturm will play as he has in the past.
    You seem to think that the likes of Bergeron, Wheeler, and Lucic have had their performance topped out, and what we saw from them last year is as good as they will ever be.

Surely there must be some middle ground?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cashmuney49. Show cashmuney49's posts

[QUOTE]Every contender has a 40 goal sniper on their team with speed. EVERY ONE. Name one sniper like that on the Bruins and they are contenders again. Until you do, NEXT.
    Posted by vanoosten[/QUOTE]

Staal are you're only arguement. Ovechkin gone in Rd. 2 Hossa is no longer on Detroit. Richards, Parise and Nash were all gone in Rd. 1. Kovalchuk and Vanek didn't even make the playoffs.

How about 35-goal scorers. Healty out, Marleau Rd. 1, Cammalleri and Iginla Rd. 1, Ericcson out, Kessel Rd. 2 and Malkin won the CUP.

Just a dumb comment.

The B's and Caps lost in Rd. 2 because of Defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I love how we have "no snipers" now that we lost a kid who had 1 30 plus goal season, while sturm who has been a solid and consistant 25 plus scorer for the bruins, and ryder who has been consistantly about 30 goals (minus one season)..

Verses was dead on in their analysis of the Bruins prior to the game, this is a deep character team, the bruins lack that one true offensive superstar/face of the franchise player that the fans want.  Kessel was not that play, nothing at this point in his career says he is going to be any better then say a player like afinogenov.

The team will be fine the fact is washington has the most dominate player on the planet, and he had the upper hand going into last nights game, the bruins play a team game which can take longer to adjust to the system and to build chemistry.  Ovechkin doesnt need to a couple weeks to get on the same page as his guys, just get him the puck and he will happily due the rest..

There was alot of rust out there but until washington scored that first goal the bruins we fine..Krejci looked good but rusty, Lucic just looked a litte lost, Bergerons line actually looked very good. 

Morris on the other hand...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : I'm saying that I read a lot of garbage this summer about how replacing Kessel was just a matter of Wheeler, Bergeron, Sturm, and Lucic potting an extra 5-10 goals--as if goals were the only thing Kessel was good for.  It's not going to be that simple and a very avg Jose Theodore and Wsh defense proved that.   That being said, Julien is a very smart coach and I'm sure he'll mix/match lines and make adjustments to compensate for the loss of elements that ONLY Kessel brought to the team....just don't expect results overnight!   
    Posted by agaither2179[/QUOTE]

what some have to understand is u do not replace a 50 goal scorer with a2 25 goal scorers or a 40 goal scorer with 2 20 goal scorers . it does not work this way.

it is like saying caps can trade ovechkin for 3 20 goal scorers, no way.
    make no mistake kess departure will be greatly missed.

i cannot say i agree with u in that julien is a very smart coach. lamouriello is a very smart gm abnd fired cj weeks befor palyoffs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

In Response to A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed.:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I get it.  It's only 1 game, there's 81 more to go, and our team played horribly--no debate here.  What is debatable is the immediate (i.e. 1 year) impact of the trade of Phil Kessel.  If you're like me, having felt priviledged to have seen the game on VS via cable, you can see some serious flaws in this team as it stands.  Let's examine: 1.) Our squad had no break-out speed through the neutral zone and was NEVER a threat with the strecth pass.  Kessel gave us that last year on the right side and it was sorely missed tonight. 2.) The Marco Sturm experiment at RW is OVER.  Julien gave it a shot for 25 min and gave up on it for good reason.  Sturm is still quick, but has clearly lost a few steps as a result of surgery and doesn't catch passes in flight well on his backhand a la Gaborik, Kovalev, etc.  Let's pray Wheeler finds his scoring touch again soon b/c Sturm needs to go back to LW on Krejci's line (5 on 5)!     3.) There is not 1 natural sniper on our roster.  Krejci missed wide several times (give him a mulligan for missing camp), Ryder came close, Wheeler looked lost, and Savard just looked frustrated that there wasn't a righty shot in the high-slot when he circled the opposing net.  A sniper (as I've heard many complain) with the ability to change the momentum quickly would have been really helpful when the game was 2-0!   4.) Savard needs Kessel just as much as Kessel needs him.  How many times did he curl the net looking for someone to cut to open space, only to find nothing or nobody with the ability to one-time in or near the high slot?       5.) The B's will not surprise anyone this year (like they did in Oct-Nov of 08) and will get everyone's best game, every night!  This will put a lot of pressure on our  balanced attack, which clearly lacked chemistry tonight.   Hopefully the adjustments will be made soon because I saw a team that wanted to play the way it did last year, but just didn't have that extra something, or that something special.  Phil Kessel is that player, and for the foreseeable future, he will be sorely missed.      
    Posted by agaither2179[/QUOTE]

totally agree, if u take some chances that krejci had for example and hand them to kess, the puck is  in the net. and kess does create openings.

now, i know kess would not have been there yesterday but this is a  precursor of how things are going to be.

i have said repeatedly u cannot unload one of kess's abilities and ecpect to be fine let alone be a true cup contender.

Kess was an extremely highly regarded young player coming out of the draft. Some had him rated higher then Johnson who went first overall. bruins mgmt at the time said they may have traded their pick away if kess was no longer available, and kess was so proud to be drafted by bruins.

PC and CJ screwed everything up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : what some have to understand is u do not replace a 50 goal scorer with a2 25 goal scorers or a 40 goal scorer with 2 20 goal scorers . it does not work this way. it is like saying caps can trade ovechkin for 3 20 goal scorers, no way. make no mistake kess departure will be greatly missed. i cannot say i agree with u in that julien is a very smart coach. lamouriello is a very smart gm abnd fired cj weeks befor palyoffs
    Posted by marco100[/QUOTE]

Kessel isn't a 50 goal scorer.. 36 and 50 are huge differences and 50 goal scorers are rare, why don't you google 50 goals seasons and realize theres been like an average of 2 per season over the past 8 years, and those guys (aside from mian hedjuk and johnathan cheecho) are prennial allstars/superstar, they didn't "develop" into 50 goal scorers..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]Go root for the Maple Laughs if you miss Kessel so much.
    Posted by Disk0thek[/QUOTE]

defeatist attitude,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : Kessel isn't a 50 goal scorer.. 36 and 50 are huge differences and 50 goal scorers are rare, why don't you google 50 goals seasons and realize theres been like an average of 2 per season over the past 8 years, and those guys (aside from mian hedjuk and johnathan cheecho) are prennial allstars/superstar, they didn't "develop" into 50 goal scorers..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

did u read my post where did i say kess a 50 goal scorer. i was bringing  the discussion that u do not replace either a 50 goal scorer or a 40 goal scorer
    with 2 0f 25 or 2 of 40, never said kess was 50 goal scorer
    but definitely a serious potential 40 goal scorer and one good playoff performer, what more does one want., just the fact that kess was a hab killer
    is good enough for me.

bruins will not recover from this move and who pays the price , us the fans and ultimately pc and cj will get fired but we will still be here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

you said you don't replace a 50 goal scorer with 2 25g scorers, so if you weren't talking about kessel then you were just talking about something in complete generalization that has nothing to do with anything involved in this post.. So I guess thanks for your imput, and the bruins got alot in return for kessel which is more then can be said about several of their other trades they have made over the past few years, Thorton for one.. And how come no one is complaining about the Boyes deal, hes potted almost 80 goals in the 2 seasons since the bruins gave up on him..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disk0thek. Show Disk0thek's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : defeatist attitude,
    Posted by marco100[/QUOTE]

More of a "I've moved on" attitude.

Drop it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE] You people just like to cry about losing a greedy me-first kid with one talent...and even that, most of the league had the toe-drag followed by a wrist shot figured out about half-way through last season.
    Posted by roninent1[/QUOTE]
    I don't even like Kessel, you got me confused with the other guy. Kessel wanted too much cash for his limited abilities. It still does not alter the fact that PC and company did nothing to improve the obvious need to get better offensively. Do you really think this season will be better offensively than last?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. :  Great posts, I agree with you 100% and can't believe these idiots who either don't understand your solid reasoning or refuse to believe what is right in front of their eyes. The Bruins actually looked scared of the Caps speed/scoring ability in the last 2 periods, the way the d-men backed in all the way to the goal line on Cap rushes and the forwards stood around and marveled at their passing ability! If you can't get pumped up for your home opener and sustain intensity for 60 minutes, you are going to have major issues with good teams.Can anyone logically explain what Byron Bitz brings to the table besides being big.....slow, can't check or fight and most ECHL players have more scoring ability/ I guess CJ likes him cause he can find the weight room! Dump Wheels to 4th line and get Marchand up here to skate with Savard NOW!!!
    Posted by Turk16[/QUOTE]

Great post - I'm glad some are willing to give an honest opinion, without bias.

Where is Sobotka? At least this kid would have taken a run at Ovechkin, something no one else was apparently willing to do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. :  Great posts, I agree with you 100% and can't believe these idiots who either don't understand your solid reasoning or refuse to believe what is right in front of their eyes. The Bruins actually looked scared of the Caps speed/scoring ability in the last 2 periods, the way the d-men backed in all the way to the goal line on Cap rushes and the forwards stood around and marveled at their passing ability! If you can't get pumped up for your home opener and sustain intensity for 60 minutes, you are going to have major issues with good teams.Can anyone logically explain what Byron Bitz brings to the table besides being big.....slow, can't check or fight and most ECHL players have more scoring ability/ I guess CJ likes him cause he can find the weight room! Dump Wheels to 4th line and get Marchand up here to skate with Savard NOW!!!
    Posted by Turk16[/QUOTE]

Yep. I think they just refuse to accept reality. As you pointed out, anyone who says things like 'It's OK we lost PJ Axelsson and Stephane Yelle... we got Byron Bitz and Steve Begin!" thinking they're just the same level of talent doesn't understand hockey at all.

Ditto the automatic assumption that Sturm (another year older and coming off major surgery) is just gonna replace Kessel's goal scoring, and that bergeron will have THE year when he's just one solid hit away from retirement.

What we saw in game 1 is a template for what this season will bring: more of the same as the Bruins put a good, solid, but nowhere NEAR great team on the ice and get smoked by great teams like Washington, Pitt., Detroit, etc.

Come playoff time it'll be a first or second round KO unless they make a big splash w/those draft picks they got and land a Kovalchuk or equivalent, but don't hold your breath. Bruins management thinks just like Donald Rumsfeld did when confronted w/the fact that US troops didn't have adequate armor to use in Iraq: "You go to war with what you've got."

As I said on a different post: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. An alternate definition could be the Bruins and those pie-in-the-sky fans who keep thinking things will finally change THIS year when there's absoltely no evidence to support that belief.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Peak at Things to Come??? 5 Reasons Kessel will be sorely missed. : Yep. I think they just refuse to accept reality. As you pointed out, anyone who says things like 'It's OK we lost PJ Axelsson and Stephane Yelle... we got Byron Bitz and Steve Begin!" thinking they're just the same level of talent doesn't understand hockey at all. Ditto the automatic assumption that Sturm (another year older and coming off major surgery) is just gonna replace Kessel's goal scoring, and that bergeron will have THE year when he's just one solid hit away from retirement. What we saw in game 1 is a template for what this season will bring: more of the same as the Bruins put a good, solid, but nowhere NEAR great team on the ice and get smoked by great teams like Washington, Pitt., Detroit, etc. Come playoff time it'll be a first or second round KO unless they make a big splash w/those draft picks they got and land a Kovalchuk or equivalent, but don't hold your breath. Bruins management thinks just like Donald Rumsfeld did when confronted w/the fact that US troops didn't have adequate armor to use in Iraq: "You go to war with what you've got." As I said on a different post: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. An alternate definition could be the Bruins and those pie-in-the-sky fans who keep thinking things will finally change THIS year when there's absoltely no evidence to support that belief.

I wasn't going to comment on another thread with the subject Kessel but I must comment on what you're saying.
    Give Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt ,  it's not Harry Sinden (or a one of his prodigies) doing the same ol thing over and over.
    Since Chiarelli's been GM they've progressed and improved . It was easy as the Bruins had hit rock bottom. The only way was up. 
    His first controversy was this summer so let's wait and see at the end of the season and then pass judgement.
    I'll be the first to criticize and agree with you if they go into the playoffs with no reinforcements.
    I like this and so true.
    "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
    Let's see what the definition of change is for Chiarelli.
    Good post TryToBearIt.
    I see your pup is a Sox fan; they changed and did things different for 80 years and just could not win it.  Frown

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Yes, true about the Sox...but aren't they a special case w/the stuff they went thru? ('46--Williams injured right before the series...'78...Zimmer buries Lee in the bullpen while the losing streak continues leading up to Dent...., '86..nuff said... ''03 Grady leaves pedro in, etc.....Until the magic of '04 the only thing that was the same over and over about the Red Sox was how much they pulled tragic defeat from the jaws of sure victory.)

I agree w/some of what you said about the improvements made since PC came aboard....however, the B's did have some good teams w/even more potential before (remember the Oates/Neely squads, and more recently the '04 team that JJ blew up in an idiotic prediction that owners would have all the power w/a new CBA?)....the B's have many times before had very good talent that they let walk whenever that talent wanted more $$$ or dared to question mgt.'s commitment to winning (how fast was Oates kicked out of town when he spoke up?)...that's what I mean by more of the same, even tho' the Kessel case is a bit different b/c of the salary cap dilemma (one could argue that they could/should have seen that coming from the first day they drafted him and planned accordingly to keep him).

I am also willing to give PC the benefit of the doubt and see if he looks at this team and says "man, we need a big sniper to play w/Savvy or we're sunk") and makes a big splash w/those picks a la Kovalchuck. But I don't expect he will, and if this team goes into the post season as-is, fuggedabouddit. Round 1 or 2 KO.....again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Some of these comments may have been already made, they were too stupid to read all of them, so I skipped to put in my 2 cents.

Bruins outplayed the Caps for most of first period, bogus PP after a no goal disrupted play and we never got our rhythum back. We had our own PP and never got it going the whole night. Next PP(stupid too many men-we all know that call) Caps scored at end of period they also got 2 quick ones too start the 3rd, 1 on a PP. We got one back sh from Bergeron.

Players played well just not clicking fully yet. Bergy best player. Morris contained OV on his shifts and knocked him down nicely, we'll be seeing a lot of Morris matching skilled players after this.

B's problem and is kind of ironic as they have some high skill players with some crash and bangers. The problem is they all want to pass and be the play makers. This is the same problem that befell big Joe scores 37 goals and decides to become a passer (the best in the league) this has a problem for scorer on team when star passer only passes as they can now cover more players when passer is going to pass. Savard got by this last year by starting to SHOOT ( yes I said SHOOT) and that is what the Crasher & Bangers need to do as do the skilled players. 

Our top 5 shooters registerd 10 shots(2 each) and 1 goal and Caps had 21 shots (OV & Laich 5 each) and 4 goals, see where I'm going here. Luc, Sturm, Ryder, Wheeler, Recchi, Begin and Bitz all had less than 2 shots. 5 of these are expected 20 goal scorers. To score 20 goals is going to take more than 82 shots this or any other year. They need to shoot the puck and especially on missed passes in close like the other night. Shoot the f'n puck and then crash and bang and get to the net. Playing perimeter is lousy to score and hateful to watch. That is why I really liked Marchand and Lovecchio in preseason as they were always taking the puck to the net and were not afraid to shoot.

These players noted above all have above decent shots so the next thing they need to do is SHOOT!!!

On another note, someone said something stupid about the Pens not having a 40 goal scorer. They had 2 30 plus goal scorers who are the best 2 players in the league, that dominated in the playoffs, because that is what superstars do. There 29 goals in 24 games is something akin to 2 50 goal scorers in the season, not bad, eh!

No we don't have Kessel and we are not going to have him but he don't matter. What does matter is the fact that we don't have a breakout player that the other team has to keep an eye on all the time because he can be a game breaker. This was Kessel last year and his 6 goals in 11 playoffs is more akin to 55 goals on a season and these are far more important than 40 in the season and OMG they were all against playoff teams. We have players on this team that can step up to the plate, we just need them to do it.

Lucic is looking more and more like Cam all the time, now is the time for him to be like him and go to the slot and fight for position and score goals like he can. Lucic is not meant to be down low in the corner and cycling he needs to be shooting and crashing. He has definite playmaking abilities and seems to have a nose for this but he needs to shoot and then these passes will be even better when they are not waited on or telegraphed as goes for all the B's.

We are looked at as a pass first team and we need to become a shoot and drive team first then the passing will become sic with our skilled players. We have dominated the time holding the puck well into last year but if you look at the shots for and against it does not reflect this. That was the same against Car in most games last year and yet the scores do not reflect it either as we were outshot too many times until we become desparate.

Final note - We have a great team and will be there when the time comes, but to get over the top we need a gamebreaker and until our youth step up we better go and rent one for the playoffs to be a true contender. This season is not going to be all bad like our opener, it is going to be exciting and if you don't think so then simple don't watch and don't comment. There were a lot of upbeat things, Krejci smartness in going for far side on 2 shots as goalie moving across, both good chances as was his play for 1st game back. Berggy showed why he was given the bucks as he was best player on the ice. Wheeler(BU) was hitting and a couple were dandies. 4th line is not going to hurt us if used wisely(begin's no goal and bs penalty were only downside- he will have to watch as 4th line is not to be taking pens unless it is a equal penalty). Chara played well but needs more than 22 mins Wideman had 26. The puck was very bouncy for first game probably not frozen enough. We were attempting our breakouts and they will come alot better, once Sturm finds how to take a pass off the boards.  There was a lot of rust that will be ironed out. We still have possibly the most exciting team to watch at times and I hope it starts now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

You make some good points No4BobbyOrr, but aren't we saying essentially the same thing? I'm not basing my negative assessment of this Bruins team on 1 game against the Caps.  I'm saying what you are: That without at least a guy who RESEMBLES Kessel (it doesn't have to be HIM), the Bruins are w/out an essential ingredient needed to win it all, or even get to the finals.

These guys have talent, no doubt. But I also think you're over-hyping Lucic as the next Neely (that combination of toughness AND natural goal scoring talent comes along once a generation maybe), and the Bruins have never shown that willingness to go out and get that big-time extra elite player to put them over the top.

they have one of the best playmakers in the game in Savard and no player (like a Kovalchuk) of his equal talent to pass TO. If they don't use those draft picks to wheel for such a player, they're gone in round 2 at best.

This is a GOOD team, but nowhere NEAR a great one in a conference w/at least two great teams (Caps and Pens) and others who are as good (Flyers, Devils, and possibly still the 'Canes).

The Bruins did no essential upgrading from last year's team but DID lose their top goal scorer. It is irrational to think that that combination can actually do BETTER this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TobiasHeffernan. Show TobiasHeffernan's posts

get off kessels nut. for christs sake its the first game. they will soon prove that the DONT need goldy locks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

This team if healthy and all players are available in the playoffs will be better than last year with Kessel than they were with Kessel and injuries.

Yes they need a big gun and preferably one a little better than Kessel that can fight through the opposition more. They do have the talented players that can step up to match the 36 goals but they need a more selfish player that wants the puck to shoot and shoot and shoot...

Lucic is on par with Neeley's stats at this point & if Vanc had thought he was going to be what he was he would never have been traded. Neeley came from Van to Bos as did Luc, they both started their hunts for Hockey at 13, they both hit, fight and can shoot. If Luc gets the awarenes of how good he can score his scoring will take off as it did with Neely. If he can be as good as 80% of Neely's scoring he will do fine and be a key player for the distant future. Neely scored 70 Goals in 71 games from 92 to 94, not too many players are at that calibre for sure and labelling Luc at that is still unfair to him but he is going to be a star and every team knows this.

Comparing this team to past failures especially the 90's is totally bogus. The 90's supporting cast was nowhere near what it is now. Players like Hodge Jr and Ruzicka were our support, how they hit 30 goals is beyond me, but they were no playoff players. Oates had 97 assists with Neely gone the whole season, he became the star and amped up with 45 goals himself. How he wasn't the MVP that year is beyond me if you check out his goal scorers that year. No management didn't pony up with playoff acquisitions and they never won. This team has 3 lines that could have played with Oates on the top line when Cam was gone compared to what he had.

In having such an overall talented team the cap makes it hard to go the next step unless players can make play and salary adjustments to win. We have the nucleus and with playing togethr over  the next few months I believe PC will make the required aquisition to go the next level. Rechi was added last year because he was the right fit at the time not knowing that Krej, Kess Sturm and others would be carrying the injuries they did. To get the next player may carry a roster loss that we were going to lose with Kessel if he was signed. This may be the reason that minors were kept up to the last game to see who can fill in roster spot if we lose some player later on.

Greatest of All Time!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Well, all I can say is I hope you're right about Looch, but I don't see him achieving that 80% threshhold of Neely's talent...but I agree that if he does, that makes him more than worth his weight in Black and Gold.

Yeah, the cap makes it tougher to go out and buy that big gun, but it also conveniently gives JJ an excuse not to even try (move some pieces, clear some salary, the roll the dice for a big gun....I'd be more than willing to part w/guys like Kobasew, Hunwick, even Looch in order to bag a Kovalchuck...I just think him and Savvy together again would be a HUGE upgrade and would vault the Bruins into serious contender-ship.)

But I just don;t think it will happen. The B's will level out...they're not going 0-82 and they'll probably finish 5th or 6th in the East....that will likely prompt the usual "let's all try extra hard and go w/what we've got" attitude from mgt. and like I said, bye-bye in round 1 or 2. Kinda sick of it, you know?

If the drought wasn't pushing 4 decades or if this was a newbie franchise in some place like Atlanta or Tampa I wouldn't care so much...I'd say give me an entertaining, fairly competitive team and that's swell.

But this is Boston. Hockey used to mean something in this town. This is an Original 6 franchise that the greatest player of all time used to call home (fully agree--better than Gretzky....scruw the stats...put 5 Orrs on the ice vs. 5 Gretzkys and the Orrs win every time b/c they have nearly the offensive talent of the Gretzkys PLUS all the defensive talent he didn't have.)

Point being--fans of this franchise should demand nothing short of a Stanley Cup from an ownership that frankly has seemed less than interested in that goal for a VERY long time.

and my gripe is that this team--as constituted right now--is just another version of a team that's pretty good, but nowhere near capable of hoisting the Cup.

Sections
Shortcuts