A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason

Folks, it's the preseason. I realize that everyone wants DEFINITE ANSWERS as to who's going to stick with the Bruins, who's going to score X number of goals this year, and who's going to be on what line with whom, the answer is: Nobody knows.

That's what the preseason is for. Trying differnet line combinations. Seeing how the kids learn and adapt. Finding out what they're made of. Making mistakes - because you do not learn unless you make mistakes - and seeing how quickly and diligently those mistakes can be corrected.

Tyler Seguin was a #2 draft pick but he is an 18-year-old boy trying to adapt to playing with men, and nervous as hell about it. It's going to take him time to adjust, maybe even up to half a seaon. If you're a Red Sox fan, you might recall that Dustin Pedroia had a pretty putrid start to his rookie season. Joe Colborne is a first-year pro and learning how different the game is from the college version. Many of the established Bruins are coming off bad years and are still struggling to find their games.

The coaches know this, and they're not going to judge these guys solely by how they perform in exhibition games, but how they adapt, learn and absorb the lessons they're being taught. How much effort they extend, and how hard they work. In short, many things behind the scenes that we fans know absolutely nothing about.

So... I know it's difficult, but let's try to be patient and let the exhibition season/training camp play itself out before we rush to judgement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason

In Response to A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason:
    [QUOTE]Folks, it's the preseason. I realize that everyone wants DEFINITE ANSWERS as to who's going to stick with the Bruins, who's going to score X number of goals this year, and who's going to be on what line with whom, the answer is: Nobody knows. That's what the preseason is for. Trying differnet line combinations. Seeing how the kids learn and adapt. Finding out what they're made of. Making mistakes - because you do not learn unless you make mistakes - and seeing how quickly and diligently those mistakes can be corrected. Tyler Seguin was a #2 draft pick but he is an 18-year-old boy trying to adapt to playing with men, and nervous as hell about it. It's going to take him time to adjust, maybe even up to half a seaon. If you're a Red Sox fan, you might recall that Dustin Pedroia had a pretty putrid start to his rookie season. Joe Colborne is a first-year pro and learning how different the game is from the college version. Many of the established Bruins are coming off bad years and are still struggling to find their games. The coaches know this, and they're not going to judge these guys solely by how they perform in exhibition games, but how they adapt, learn and absorb the lessons they're being taught. How much effort they extend, and how hard they work. In short, many things behind the scenes that we fans know absolutely nothing about. So... I know it's difficult, but let's try to be patient and let the exhibition season/training camp play itself out before we rush to judgement.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Wise words, indeed ... and I'm one of those who's full of speculation and chomping at the bit to know who makes the squad. 

Wise words.

Do you think Satan will come out of retirement again?  Just kidding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not fruitless but sometimes I think a few of us take ourselves a little too serious including myself. Most of us come here to play armchair GM. Seems like a educated guess for some to see if they were correct or not. Good reason for appeal but I'll come back n complain about Ryder, Hamill will never make it, Caron is ready, Seguin is doing just fine because I think I'm right LoL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason:
    [QUOTE]In Response to A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : Wise words, indeed ... and I'm one of those who's full of speculation and chomping at the bit to know who makes the squad.  Wise words. Do you think Satan will come out of retirement again?  Just kidding.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

Aaargh!

Haha, very funny. And thanks.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with guessing and speculating. It's the absolute pronouncements that drive me around the bend. We all know the difference.

I always think it's a lot more fun when you don't expect a lot and someone surprises you. :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Let's talk some hockey here, folks...

How about that goal by the Bruins' leading playoff scorer (Wideman) last night...

Talon 2 - PC 0...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

There is no sport I take seriously in the pre-season, including hockey. The games simply do not matter and there is no point whatsoever in trying to make judgments on who will stick and who will be leading the team in scoring etc. come October and beyond when--as Duinne points out--these games are solely of use to the coaches to check out the habits of mostly young players that need to be corrected, and to a lesser extent, line combinations that might work once the 2 points per night are on the line.

i'm far more concerned about whether the Bruins' most talented and experienced center (he may have been mentioned once or twice on this forum over the past few months) will see any action at all for the team this year.

I'm a glass half-empty guy--I fully admit it--and really, if you're a long-time Bruins fan like me, what else could you realistically be?--but I don't think this team can go deep into the post-season without a 100% healthy #91 doing his thing. 

All this other pre-season speculation--Caron, Hammil, Colborne, even Seguin....is all side-ring stuff to the main event. I hope no one's expecting too much from Seguin especially...only a handful of rookies as young as he is ever lit it up right out of the gate, and one of them was a Bruin who went on to be the best player the game ever saw...so let's please keep our expectations for Seguin low and be patient while hoping against hope that Savard is going to be just fine with the Bruins this season.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Let's talk some hockey here, folks... How about that goal by the Bruins' leading playoff scorer (Wideman) last night... Talon 2 - PC 0...
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with this thread? Tool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm more of an agnostic, TTBI.  I see your point re: fears over Savard's health and agree that it is much harder to see how the Bruins make a push for a Cup without him.  But hockey works in mysterious ways.  Think Krejci elevating his game down the stretch of a season where he didn't score a goal for over 40 games.  We've seen the glimpses of what DK can do as a #1 C.  The memory of Bergeron as a 70+ point player are getting dimmer, but they haven't gone away entirely.  No way to know what Horton will do in a new environment - maybe PC is hiding behind a curtain, handing him a heart?  (Maybe he can dig up a brain for Hunwick and some courage for the guys who were on the ice when Savard was clocked?)  Plenty of variables that could roll over in the Bruins' favour just as they all seemed to go against the black and gold last year.  And that's keeping the rookie contributions on the sideline.

The only thing I feel certain of is that the competition for jobs should be more intense this year.  Spooner seems to be pushing Hamill and Colborne who are pushing Seguin (...to the wing...).  Seguin, Sauve, Colborne and Caron are pushing Marchand, Ryder, and Wheeler (and to a lesser extent, Paille and Thornton).  Kampfer and Bartkowski are playing well enough so far to put some heat on Hunwick and McQuaid and Ference.  Alexandrov hasn't shown yet, but he could be added to that list.  The only place where there's no competition beyond the top two - Goal.

Because I like the idea of guys having to earn their spots, I'm willing to live in uncertainty - even the uncertainty of needing Krejci and Bergeron to add 20+ points each this year if Savard is out - and hope for a Blackhawk or Coyote like boost from youthful exuberance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Let's talk some hockey here, folks... How about that goal by the Bruins' leading playoff scorer (Wideman) last night... Talon 2 - PC 0...
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

Like I told you on Fluto's blog,  5am ???  you just could not wait. 
    Didn't Horton score on your Habs ?  LOL .. someone did say you got hit on head...

Anyway,  back to the subject.  I agree 100% on your assessment it's pre-season.
    I'm also happy they lost last night.  They must lose some games in preseason to learn, build character and come back stronger the next game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I'm more of an agnostic, TTBI.  I see your point re: fears over Savard's health and agree that it is much harder to see how the Bruins make a push for a Cup without him.  But hockey works in mysterious ways.  Think Krejci elevating his game down the stretch of a season where he didn't score a goal for over 40 games.  We've seen the glimpses of what DK can do as a #1 C.  The memory of Bergeron as a 70+ point player are getting dimmer, but they haven't gone away entirely.  No way to know what Horton will do in a new environment - maybe PC is hiding behind a curtain, handing him a heart?  (Maybe he can dig up a brain for Hunwick and some courage for the guys who were on the ice when Savard was clocked?)  Plenty of variables that could roll over in the Bruins' favour just as they all seemed to go against the black and gold last year.  And that's keeping the rookie contributions on the sideline. The only thing I feel certain of is that the competition for jobs should be more intense this year.  Spooner seems to be pushing Hamill and Colborne who are pushing Seguin (...to the wing...).  Seguin, Sauve, Colborne and Caron are pushing Marchand, Ryder, and Wheeler (and to a lesser extent, Paille and Thornton).  Kampfer and Bartkowski are playing well enough so far to put some heat on Hunwick and McQuaid and Ference.  Alexandrov hasn't shown yet, but he could be added to that list.  The only place where there's no competition beyond the top two - Goal. Because I like the idea of guys having to earn their spots, I'm willing to live in uncertainty - even the uncertainty of needing Krejci and Bergeron to add 20+ points each this year if Savard is out - and hope for a Blackhawk or Coyote like boost from youthful exuberance.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

...and believe me, BB, I am grateful to have you along to keep me from taking the swan dive off the Tobin with every bit of bad news that descends on our bears!

I do remember exactly the stretch you're talking about when Savard broke a bone in his back (from a dirty hit--I forget who it was) and Krejci stepped up big time in the playoffs before the B's got KO'd....that was when I first really noticed DK's skill...and I do believe he's got the potential to be--if not an elite center--than that slight next level below, as long as he can avoid the kind of injury bug Savvy (and Krejci) now seem prone to.

It's just so bloody hard to win the Cup in today's NHL, and so many things have to go your team's way for it to happen that injuries are an almost certain death blow to those chances (the B's hung in there admirably last year but the Krejci injury in game 3 vs. the Flyers was the straw that broke that camel's back.)

Let's hope the depth chart is deep enough that should #91 not contribute (and my guess is he won't) they'll still be able to make a run (and maybe even cross the finish line) with what's left.

i just don;t think anyone should expect that Colborne, Seguin, Hammil, et al. can really make that happen as first-year players. PC's gotta work some deadline magic for a proven veteran if this team looks like a contender at the trade deadline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Just as it may be fruitless to expect change, no adaptation to the changing game from our roll 4 coach, I also will appeal for reason.

The team has been set from before rookies' camp. There is 1 spot available for Sturm replacement, now there is a second for Sav short term maybe.
    Team
    Luc Hort Sav(is expected to be ready for season)
    Whe  Krej Ryd
    Rec   Berg  Seg
    Pail  Camp Thorn

Thorn was signed for 2 years with a raise, neither McG nor Reich no matter whether they are miniscule better will unseat him, they will be going to the P.

Wh & Ryd will be on team, Ryd is a goal scorer, he has scored 30 and is a Cj fave, put the rest of the BS to rest. I would prob have a heart attack if this changed.

The only spot is  Sav's up for a short term. That is where these games make a slight diff, will it be a centre or winger for short term. I hope it is a youth but Cj will look for another Whitfield type.

Personally I would have left Camp where he was to and brought along someone from within, I would put all three Reich, McG and Thorn on the side and gone with youth again. Playing Thorn for 80 games does not help when playoff injuries come along, we have no youth Nhl game readey to step up at any time.  Ryd speculation would be put to a stop, he would either be traded or stated that he is going nowhere.
    Seid would not have been resigned with such a huge pay increase, but that is the Pc way. The D was set as well
    Z Seid   Boy  Fer   Stu Hun   with McQ being the Boyc of last year.
    I would dice Hun and Fer and give the shot to Yuri and the Wolf with either Kamp or Bart in the wings and we would be 2.5M richer with not much change to the D, Fer is very reliable at D but how reliable is that when you only play 50 games because you can't handle the strain.

It is romantic to think that this guy or that has a shot and they may but realisticly it is for next year not this one.

Seg will stick, he has generated 25K fans to rookie games, just unheard of. The ones that can be sent down to junior will be, the rest right now are being fitted to see who will play with who on what lines in Prov.  This is dictating right now Prov ice time, line mates PP and PK so they will be better suited for callups when injuries do take place.

It is a shame for management to tell these guys they have a shot, when in reality it is NAS right now.  These kids are our future and 1-2 will be our present so right now we need to just enjoy their play because it has been very entertaining, Prov fans have a lot to see in the coming year and hopefully ye will keep us all abreast as to the play of our future stars as I see a great season ahed for ye as well.

Changes will be made in Nov/Dec to accomodate Sturm maybe, that will unfold then and not before, the changes will not be made now much to the chagrin of all speculators here.

I for one am looking forward to a great season, even though I have some druthers and pessimism on some fronts, I am and always be a Bruin first and that means wanting to win and the best team on the ice.

Let the kids play, they will be here when they get here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Trytobearit

I appreciate your pessimism heh. But honestly I think your overestimating the impact savard was going to have to start the season.

I see him returning 1/3 way through and not regaining his stride till the final 1/4 of the season. At which point the B's will start to make a real push for the #1 spot in the east with all things going to plan the 1-2-3 combo punch of Krejci-Savard-Bergeron will be awesome. Unlike other teams I see the B's steamrolling into the playoffs this year a better team than they were to start the year.(Supposing a limited amount of freak injuries)

This is of course has no factual basis and is opinion. However having played competitive hockey/football for 16years. I can say that from experience people who have concussions and miss significant time with no physical activity can take up to half a season easily to get back into the flow of the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason:
    [QUOTE]Folks, it's the preseason. I realize that everyone wants DEFINITE ANSWERS as to who's going to stick with the Bruins, who's going to score X number of goals this year, and who's going to be on what line with whom, the answer is: Nobody knows. That's what the preseason is for. Trying differnet line combinations. Seeing how the kids learn and adapt. Finding out what they're made of. Making mistakes - because you do not learn unless you make mistakes - and seeing how quickly and diligently those mistakes can be corrected. Tyler Seguin was a #2 draft pick but he is an 18-year-old boy trying to adapt to playing with men, and nervous as hell about it. It's going to take him time to adjust, maybe even up to half a seaon. If you're a Red Sox fan, you might recall that Dustin Pedroia had a pretty putrid start to his rookie season. Joe Colborne is a first-year pro and learning how different the game is from the college version. Many of the established Bruins are coming off bad years and are still struggling to find their games. The coaches know this, and they're not going to judge these guys solely by how they perform in exhibition games, but how they adapt, learn and absorb the lessons they're being taught. How much effort they extend, and how hard they work. In short, many things behind the scenes that we fans know absolutely nothing about. So... I know it's difficult, but let's try to be patient and let the exhibition season/training camp play itself out before we rush to judgement.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand what you are saying.  As human beings we make judgements about everything we see.  Look at a homeless personon the street  and odds are that they don't own a Mercedes and live in Weston - this is NOT true 100% of the  time, but its true in a majority of cases.  Even has prejudices, everyone makes judgements, the intellectual part has to take over and rationalize your impression.

Wins and losses, goals and assists, save percentage and number of hits don't count in the preseason.  You can make judgements about players.  I think you're saying 18 is too young to make a judgement?  Show me a 14 year old and I'll have plenty to say about them, but there are only so many predictions you can make.  At that age I would only say whether they could play D1 or junior hockey, and of course in a lot of cases you can see whether or not the kid has a prayer.

How many points can we expect our of Seguin this season?  Who knows?  If I see performance and a trend in the right direction, I'm happy.  My prediction is that he'll be great, don't know when.

Caron, Colborne and Sauve will play in the NHL at some point or other, and they'll be decent at least.

Alexandrov shows a spark to me, he could be pretty darn good.

Kampfer and Bartkowski, I see them as 5 6 defensemen.

I don't see anything out of this goalie crop.

Predicting how many points a player will get in a coming season can only be stated in broad generalities.  Same for teams.  As we saw last year, teams that squeaked into the playoffs can go far.  There is parity in this league and anyone can beat anyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

An appeal for reason...which means of course this gem of wisdom has to show up

"How about that goal by the Bruins' leading playoff scorer (Wideman) last night...
    Talon 2 - PC 0..."

Well Duinne, you said it would probably be fruitless!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Trytobearit I appreciate your pessimism heh. But honestly I think your overestimating the impact savard was going to have to start the season. I see him returning 1/3 way through and not regaining his stride till the final 1/4 of the season. At which point the B's will start to make a real push for the #1 spot in the east with all things going to plan the 1-2-3 combo punch of Krejci-Savard-Bergeron will be awesome. Unlike other teams I see the B's steamrolling into the playoffs this year a better team than they were to start the year.(Supposing a limited amount of freak injuries) This is of course has no factual basis and is opinion. However having played competitive hockey/football for 16years. I can say that from experience people who have concussions and miss significant time with no physical activity can take up to half a season easily to get back into the flow of the game.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]

Agree w/your assessment re: Savvy's potential for positive impact. I should have made clearer in my post that I didn't really expect him to come flying out of the gate and be firing 100% at the start of the season....my real concern is that he might not play at all, despite PC's (mild) protestations to the contrary.

What I do believe, tho', is that w/out a 100% healthy and up to speed Savard come playoff time--unless they can somehow replace his skills in another way--I don't see the Bruins getting past round 2---again.

But admittedly, my pessimism is as much speculative as anyone's optmism--there's a ton of hockey to be played between now and the start of the playoffs, and the Bruins team we're looking at now could look entirely different once the regular season ends.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : I really don't understand what you are saying.  As human beings we make judgements about everything we see.  Look at a homeless personon the street  and odds are that they don't own a Mercedes and live in Weston - this is NOT true 100% of the  time, but its true in a majority of cases.  Even has prejudices, everyone makes judgements, the intellectual part has to take over and rationalize your impression. Wins and losses, goals and assists, save percentage and number of hits don't count in the preseason.  You can make judgements about players.  I think you're saying 18 is too young to make a judgement?  Show me a 14 year old and I'll have plenty to say about them, but there are only so many predictions you can make.  At that age I would only say whether they could play D1 or junior hockey, and of course in a lot of cases you can see whether or not the kid has a prayer. How many points can we expect our of Seguin this season?  Who knows?  If I see performance and a trend in the right direction, I'm happy.  My prediction is that he'll be great, don't know when. Caron, Colborne and Sauve will play in the NHL at some point or other, and they'll be decent at least. Alexandrov shows a spark to me, he could be pretty darn good. Kampfer and Bartkowski, I see them as 5 6 defensemen. I don't see anything out of this goalie crop. Predicting how many points a player will get in a coming season can only be stated in broad generalities.  Same for teams.  As we saw last year, teams that squeaked into the playoffs can go far.  There is parity in this league and anyone can beat anyone.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is the "Tyler Seguin will score 30 goals," or "Tyler Seguin will go back to Junior," or "Joe Colborne will never make it in the NHL," or "Yury Alexandrov will stick with the big club and Matt Hunwick is toast" are the sorts of pronouncments that drive me around the bend. 

A few years back, on another internet board, I got into a huge argument with a couple of posters who were absolutely, rock-solid certain, after he'd played a total of two months in the majors, that Dustin Pedroia was a total bust and would never be anything more than a JAG (Just Another Guy). My response was that it was still early and let's wait a while before we judge. 

Here's my point: We are clueless. We're looking at the Bruins right now through a keyhole. We see some preseason games, but not all. Two practices were open; the rest are coaches/media only. The media don't know, and don't tell us, everything that happens. We're not in meetings, we don't see the players receiving instruction and how they process/deal with it. 

Sure, we can guess, and speculate, and chat about it. That's what forums like this are for, and it's fun. But I can't state emphatically what will happen to whomever. Just take one of your comments: "I don't see anything out of this goalie crop." I mean, exactly what do you base that pronoucement on? How much have you seen them? Do you know their work habits, their attitude, their coachability, their history? Have you observed them working with Bob Essena? Can you tell me what, exactly, will keep them from success?

Sure, we can make judgements based on what we observe. I can look at Alexandrov, for example, and see a talented young player, but a guy coming over from Russia who doesn't speak the language and is facing an adjustment period, and pretty much guess that he'll start this season in the AHL. But as to how good he's going to be, when (or if) he'll make it to the NHL, good grief, I don't know. And anyone who says they DO know is lying. Guessing right isn't knowing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : What I'm saying is the "Tyler Seguin will score 30 goals," or "Tyler Seguin will go back to Junior," or "Joe Colborne will never make it in the NHL," or "Yury Alexandrov will stick with the big club and Matt Hunwick is toast" are the sorts of pronouncments that drive me around the bend.  A few years back, on another internet board, I got into a huge argument with a couple of posters who were absolutely, rock-solid certain, after he'd played a total of two months in the majors, that Dustin Pedroia was a total bust and would never be anything more than a JAG (Just Another Guy). My response was that it was still early and let's wait a while before we judge.  Here's my point: We are clueless. We're looking at the Bruins right now through a keyhole. We see some preseason games, but not all. Two practices were open; the rest are coaches/media only. The media don't know, and don't tell us, everything that happens. We're not in meetings, we don't see the players receiving instruction and how they process/deal with it.  Sure, we can guess, and speculate, and chat about it. That's what forums like this are for, and it's fun. But I can't state emphatically what will happen to whomever. Just take one of your comments: "I don't see anything out of this goalie crop." I mean, exactly what do you base that pronoucement on? How much have you seen them? Do you know their work habits, their attitude, their coachability, their history? Have you observed them working with Bob Essena? Can you tell me what, exactly, will keep them from success? Sure, we can make judgements based on what we observe. I can look at Alexandrov, for example, and see a talented young player, but a guy coming over from Russia who doesn't speak the language and is facing an adjustment period, and pretty much guess that he'll start this season in the AHL. But as to how good he's going to be, when (or if) he'll make it to the NHL, good grief, I don't know. And anyone who says they DO know is lying. Guessing right isn't knowing.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Based upon what I've seen of the goalie crop, I don't see anything that impresses me.  Is one - or both of them the next Roy or Cheevers?  Who knows?  I don't know baseball at all so I can't comment on Dustin whatsisname.

Look at all the debate on Riendeau.  I can comfortably say that I don't think he'll ever play in the NHL.  I hope he proves me wrong and scores 800 career goals, but I don't see anything that indicates that to me now.  For all I know he could be playing on 2 broken legs.

You should listen to me more.  I didn't like Thornton from the get go.  I think his career would have been served better if fans let him know right off the bat.  I think Joe needs a jump start to get his pulse racing.  I don't think that happened yet.

Too much pressure?  Is there any less pressure on some kid entering college right now with not that much money and an ambition for med school?  The world isn't a kinder gentler place for anyone else, why should athletes be treated any differently?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The title says it all Duinne, and some of your respondents have presented their version of sour apples. Savard's condition has injected a different perspective for both players[opportunity] and coaches[ review all the skills and chemistry] and management[ Do not over react]. The linemates that appear to be solid are: Lucic/Kreji/Horton; Seguin/Bergeron/Recchi; Paille/Campbell/Thornton; Wheler/maybe Hamill/ Ryder. The opportunity is there for Hamill, Wheeler, Caron with Hamill's steady progress appealing to CJ. Checking the skills include : Wheels at center? Hamill's progress and performance; Is it too soon for Caron??; Is Ryder willing to work hard??;Do we need a Sean Thornton??; In adition, the coaches must also assess the Defense: are Bartkowski, Mcquaid better than Hunwick?? or Ference?? or Stuart?? all of these need to be almost settled in the next week, but long term preparation for the return of Savard and Sturm is also very important.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : Based upon what I've seen of the goalie crop, I don't see anything that impresses me.  Is one - or both of them the next Roy or Cheevers?  Who knows?  I don't know baseball at all so I can't comment on Dustin whatsisname. Look at all the debate on Riendeau.  I can comfortably say that I don't think he'll ever play in the NHL.  I hope he proves me wrong and scores 800 career goals, but I don't see anything that indicates that to me now.  For all I know he could be playing on 2 broken legs. You should listen to me more.  I didn't like Thornton from the get go.  I think his career would have been served better if fans let him know right off the bat.  I think Joe needs a jump start to get his pulse racing.  I don't think that happened yet. Too much pressure?  Is there any less pressure on some kid entering college right now with not that much money and an ambition for med school?  The world isn't a kinder gentler place for anyone else, why should athletes be treated any differently?

LOL, Cheevers or Roy? What about Tim Thomas? Undrafted, played in Europe, bounced up and down from the AHL, wins the Vezina Trophy. I can certainly bet he didn't impress too many people when he started out. And then on the opposite end of the spectrum, you've got Andrew Raycroft. He sure looked "can't miss" for a while, didn't he? 

Pedroia is the second baseman for the Red Sox. Struggled mightily for the first couple of months in the majors, went on to win the Rookie of the Year Award one year and the MVP the next. 

I don't know why you're bringing in Thornton - I made no reference to him. Perhaps you're confusing my post with someone else's. Nor did I make any references to pressure. 

I'll try to make this clear: what's bothering me, the reason behind my original post, is people saying they know, after ONE or TWO preseason games, practices that they have not seen, a carefully guarded interview or two, that they know exactly who's going to succeed and exactly how they're going to do (or not do) this season. 

Of course, we can make reasoned guesstimates. Here's one: I'd guess that Tyler Seguin stays with the big club, based on his talent level, his potential, how he's looked so far (saw him in person at one of the rookie games and at development camp), what the coaches have said about him, plus the fact that he cannot be sent to the AHL, and other prospects (like Colborne) can. I hope he scores 20+ goals. I am not going to proclaim that he will indeed score 20 goals, or 30, or whatever, because hell, who knows?

Get the difference?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : it s*cks to hate everything doesn't it? What happened to you, you used to be a decent poster, did NAS crush your spirit? anyway, your a loser now, you post on a board that you don't belong on (as a non bruins fan) trying to get a rise out of people, do you have that much time on your hands? can you really be that pathetic?
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

He was pretending to be a Bruins fan for a while - who knows why? - but couldn't keep up the facade. Why he doesn't go find a Canadiens site to post on, I have no idea. I can't understand why anyone would find more entertainment in trolling here. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : LOL, Cheevers or Roy? What about Tim Thomas? Undrafted, played in Europe, bounced up and down from the AHL, wins the Vezina Trophy. I can certainly bet he didn't impress too many people when he started out. And then on the opposite end of the spectrum, you've got Andrew Raycroft. He sure looked "can't miss" for a while, didn't he?  Pedroia is the second baseman for the Red Sox. Struggled mightily for the first couple of months in the majors, went on to win the Rookie of the Year Award one year and the MVP the next.  I don't know why you're bringing in Thornton - I made no reference to him. Perhaps you're confusing my post with someone else's. Nor did I make any references to pressure.  I'll try to make this clear: what's bothering me, the reason behind my original post, is people saying they know, after ONE or TWO preseason games, practices that they have not seen, a carefully guarded interview or two, that they know exactly who's going to succeed and exactly how they're going to do (or not do) this season.  Of course , we can make reasoned guesstimates. Here's one: I'd guess that Tyler Seguin stays with the big club, based on his talent level, his potential, how he's looked so far (saw him in person at one of the rookie games and at development camp), what the coaches have said about him, plus the fact that he cannot be sent to the AHL, and other prospects (like Colborne) can. I hope he scores 20+ goals. I am not going to proclaim that he will indeed score 20 goals, or 30, or whatever, because hell, who knows?   Get the difference?  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

ok.  ok.  But let me ask you straight up, am I one of the people you're addressing or not?  I don't recall making any predictions except in general terms.  The great Stanley debate where he proclaimed that Wheeler would score 40, no 35, no... 33.  I'm comfortable saying he won't get 30 based on everything I've seen of him so far.  perhaps even more so since he *said* he was going to play with more of an edge, but showed no sign of it in the games so far.  But that's an educated guess and nothing more.  If Seguin gets 10 pts this year, I'll be surprised and even more surprised if he stops showing me what he's showing me now.  I'd be even more surprised if he got 50 points or more this season, it would be great if it happens, but I don't see it.

So TT making it after all.  Yes, its a rags to riches story.  But that doesn't change what people saw/didn't see in TT then.  He *WAS* a no hoper and there are many who would claim he *STILL* is a no hoper.

I don't think I'm making unrealistic predictions.  I'm just calling them the way I see them.

I will say that this rookie crop as a group is outstanding and I'm extremely optimistic about their eventual success in the NHL.  Of course there will be surprises, of course the unexpected will happen and someone who looks good/bad now will turn out good/bad later, but in general we have more winners than let's say - the Maple Leafs.  I watched some of their game last night and I was not in the least bit impressed by anyone.  In fact it was comical that the shoot out went 100 rounds or somethng before someone scored.  hey, the possibility exists that the Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup, but from what I see they don't even make the playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason:[QUOTE]Let's talk some hockey here, folks... How about that goal by the Bruins' leading playoff scorer (Wideman) last night... Talon 2 - PC 0...Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

You can't even spell his name right it's Tallon you might want to check your little Shrine and it's...

Fax Machine 1 - Dale Tallon 0 Got Fired!

Bad Contracts 2 (Huet and Campbell) - Dale Tallon 0 Got Fired!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

Here's what I know: I thought Jared Knight would make a splash in camp and today he got sent back to juniors. :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A (probably fruitless) appeal for reason : ok.  ok.  But let me ask you straight up, am I one of the people you're addressing or not?  I don't recall making any predictions except in general terms.  The great Stanley debate where he proclaimed that Wheeler would score 40, no 35, no... 33.  I'm comfortable saying he won't get 30 based on everything I've seen of him so far.  perhaps even more so since he *said* he was going to play with more of an edge, but showed no sign of it in the games so far.  But that's an educated guess and nothing more.  If Seguin gets 10 pts this year, I'll be surprised and even more surprised if he stops showing me what he's showing me now.  I'd be even more surprised if he got 50 points or more this season, it would be great if it happens, but I don't see it. So TT making it after all.  Yes, its a rags to riches story.  But that doesn't change what people saw/didn't see in TT then.  He *WAS* a no hoper and there are many who would claim he *STILL* is a no hoper. I don't think I'm making unrealistic predictions.  I'm just calling them the way I see them. I will say that this rookie crop as a group is outstanding and I'm extremely optimistic about their eventual success in the NHL.  Of course there will be surprises, of course the unexpected will happen and someone who looks good/bad now will turn out good/bad later, but in general we have more winners than let's say - the Maple Leafs.  I watched some of their game last night and I was not in the least bit impressed by anyone.  In fact it was comical that the shoot out went 100 rounds or somethng before someone scored.  hey, the possibility exists that the Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup, but from what I see they don't even make the playoffs.

Then no.

You might want to see a doctor about that paranoia problem. (I kid, I kid!)

I caught that shootout too. Great fun, especially seeing Hartnell and Carcillo get stoned.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Reason? Here?  You'll have better luck obtaining an autopsy report for Jimmy Hoffa.  Under the usual guises of "passion" and "tradition", reason on this board gets jettisoned faster than clothing at a frat party.  It should go without saying that the exhortation to refrain from judgment goes against the modus operandi of the typical fan (and the Local Media) here, who delights in his impatience and entitlement to "deserve" championships and/or run players out of town for failing to meet some mythical plateau of expectation or loyalty.  With all the armchair GMs and self-proclaimed Oracles, a visitor here might think the season and playoffs to be foregone conclusions with there being zero point in playing the games to determine truly which is the better team on a given night or in a series. 

Hahahaha! Funny thread....appealing to this crowd to have reason.  This will keep me laughing all the way till June!

Sections
Shortcuts