Aaron Asham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Aaron Asham

In Response to Aaron Asham:
    One of Chia's main offseason goals was too add toughness to this team, so far he has added Horton and Campbell....is that all he is doing? look at the Bruins roster and Thornton is the only true fighter, Yes Stuart, Lucic, and Chara will all drop them, but what are your thoughts on adding a guy like Asham, he played well in the playoffs
    Posted by darrenryan

I don't recall that being a secondary goal, let alone a main goal.

Thornton, Stuart, Lucic, Chara

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

No.  We have enough trouble signing the forwards that we actually need within the cap space.  The last thing the Bruins need is an unskilled fighter just so the team can become "tougher".  I'm not one who enjoys losing 5-1, but winning three fights in the third period.  We've got enough guys who can drop the gloves if needed -- adding another fighter would be a very distant need on a team that couldn't score last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would like this move but who goes ? I wouldn't move a good role player from the Defense to get Aaron. Campbell is needed for the 4th line center, McQuaid needed for depth or replacing Hunwick and PC seems to be moving towards keeping Wheeler that will leave the Bruins about 2Mil over the cap.

One thing is for sure come March Darren the Bruins will need a guy like Asham for the playoffs. Sobotka might have been a -10 +/- but he drove Buffalo and Philly nuts with his in your face play ask Lindy Ruff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Feisty player, yes. Tough guy, no. But not exactly the type we need.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Yes, lets dismantle a cup contending team because there aren't enough fighters.

When will you guys learn that the NHL has become a finesse game.  Your goons are there to protect your assets (your finesse players).

The notion that the Bruins need more bodyguards than people to protect is beyond me.  Your hockey team should be focused on winning hockey games.  If you want to see fights, I recommend these:

Akiyama vs Belcher (UFC 100)
    Struve vs Buentello (~110 ish)
    Akiyami vs Leben (ufc 116)
    Hamill vs Jardine (conclusion of most recent ultimate fighter)
    Stephon Bonner vs Forest Griffin (first ultimate fighter finale)
    Koscheck vs Anthony rumble johnson
    Sam Stout vs Spencer Fisher

And when you are done with those , I have hundreds more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I don't recall that as a goal either.  I may have missed it over the ringing in my ears from: Very few teams made it to the second round in both of the last two years.  (Jim Brown used to say he got up slowly after every play because then his opponents would never know when they'd hurt him.  There's an old joke about a guy caught in bed with his mistress who just keeps saying "What woman?  What are you talking about?  Honey, that's crazy..." while the mistress gets dressed and leaves. Clowns are creepy because they're always smiling even when they get hit in the face with a giant wooden mallet.  Now this.)

But even if it was a goal, whose roster spot does Asham take?  You've already committed to Paille, you acquired Campbell thinking you'd keep him, and in terms of punchers, moving Thornton out for Asham would be a zero sum move.  If you play him with Bergeron and Recchi, you're conceding that you don't want that line to score.  Recchi's a good, responsible veteran, but he's not a checker - doesn't have the legs for it any longer.  He's there to score even at his age.  Do you want to bump him up to Krejci's line?  Drop both Wheeler and Ryder and have Krejci centre Seguin with Asham riding shotgun?  Or have him with Savard and Horton in the same role?  Maybe you prefer he takes Seguin's roster spot?

Short of a trade or a no-brainer signing - Kovalchuk calls and says he wants to play LW with Savard and Horton for $2M for the next two years, and that's why he's not taking the 15 yr/$100M deals on the table - the Bruins aren't going to be adding new bodies to the mix.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jas86. Show Jas86's posts

Asham played really good in the playoffs but with limited roster spots and our prospects (Seguin, Caron, Colborne) looking to make a jump on the team i'd rather give them a chance to prove themselves. We basically already have the fourth line penciled in with Paille-Campbell (if signed)-Thornton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Gimme a break !

Asham isn't a fighter...

This guy is a fighter :

Jack Edwards was certainly at his finest on this night !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Asham's the very definition of a JAG. This isn't the sort of player you make room for. Pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham:
    Gimme a break ! Asham isn't a fighter... This guy is a fighter : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnOCUPmz2Q Jack Edwards was certainly at his finest on this night !
    Posted by RMiller87

WOW I had forgotten about that fight..  2 overhand rights and he's on his back. I have never seen someone throwing punches fall backwards, you would think it would be against the laws of physics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Absolutely---NOT. As BB says what does he add and who could he replace, According to earlier reports on Campbell, he is not reluctant to drop the gloves, and maybe the B's would get a break[ for the first time] from his PaPa Colin. Right now, as another thread on the top 10 Bruins listed, this team has a real opportunity. The existing group of forwards could be very exciting if pre-season shows any chemistry to Lucic/Kreji/Horton; or Wheeler/Savard/Seguin; we might even see some energy from Ryder if he skates with Bergie and Recchi. As BB pointed out Rechi is there to score, and both Bergie and Ryder[ with a kick on his backside] are big enough, control the puck enough to make Ryder/Bergeron/Recchi a scoring as well as a shutdown line. Let Chia worry about the Cap and revamping his Defense, the forwards look very appealing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Absolutely---NOT. As BB says what does he add and who could he replace, According to earlier reports on Campbell, he is not reluctant to drop the gloves, and maybe the B's would get a break[ for the first time] from his PaPa Colin. Right now, as another thread on the top 10 Bruins listed, this team has a real opportunity. The existing group of forwards could be very exciting if pre-season shows any chemistry to Lucic/Kreji/Horton; or Wheeler/Savard/Seguin; we might even see some energy from Ryder if he skates with Bergie and Recchi. As BB pointed out Rechi is there to score, and both Bergie and Ryder[ with a kick on his backside] are big enough, control the puck enough to make Ryder/Bergeron/Recchi a scoring as well as a shutdown line. Let Chia worry about the Cap and revamping his Defense, the forwards look very appealing.
    Posted by Bogie6

Chara/Seidenberg
    Hunwick/Boychuk
    Ference/Stuart

Signed, sealed, delivered.

After Stuart re-upped, Chiarelli said they were set on defense; all they have to do is re-sign McQuaid for depth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Easy now, Asham would be a nice fit, but Ryder would have to go first, as for the D you pointed out, people are sniffing glue if you think Fernce and Hunwick on the same team will win us a cup!!! no way is there room for both of them, but it may be that way unless a trade is pulled off!! In Response to Re: Aaron Asham :
    Posted by mohawkbruin

Why should the presense of Ference and Hunwick preclude the Bruins from winning a Cup? Ference, when healthy (which granted, is never a given), is a servicable enough defenseman. Hunwick had a bad year last season, but started regaining his confidence late in the year and showing his skills. With him, it's all about confidence.

I seem to recall some Bruins fans saying they'd never win a Cup with Hal Gill. Guess he had the last laugh, didn't he?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I would rather have asham on the team then have re-signed recchi

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Not Asham, but if anyone really believes this team doesn't a little more physical presence - then you really are lost. There were four guys on this team that are the real problem in that they are very passive and don't play with any fire. It's the last kind of chemistry this club needs, because it seems to drag everyone else along for the ride. IT'S NOT ABOUT FIGHTING, but that edge has been lost over the last 2 seasons and it should be addressed. These guys have some useful skills, but their positives are totally overwhelmed by their zero compete level IMO. They are passive, vanilla and don't bring positive energy and emotion to their team. Move em out - let some kids play and get a free agent or pick up someone via trade with a heartbeat...it's contagious !

The 4 horseman are -  Wideman(1 down) , Ryder, Wheeler, Hunwick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham : WOW I had forgotten about that fight..  2 overhand rights and he's on his back. I have never seen someone throwing punches fall backwards, you would think it would be against the laws of physics.
    Posted by BuckNakie

This kid has an extraordinary "How do I get myself outta this" ability that I've rarely seen before... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham : Chara/Seidenberg Hunwick/Boychuk Ference/Stuart Signed, sealed, delivered. After Stuart re-upped, Chiarelli said they were set on defense; all they have to do is re-sign McQuaid for depth.
    Posted by duinne

Question. If they resign McQuaid, and put him in Providence, his contract would not count against the cap (even though he was a FA), correct?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

McQuaid will fight...

The Bruins don't need Asham !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham : Question. If they resign McQuaid, and put him in Providence, his contract would not count against the cap (even though he was a FA), correct?
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Right, the contract only counts on the cap when he's playing for the big club.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrenryan. Show darrenryan's posts

Yeah im with JWensick, half of you guys were calling out the Bruins for lack of Toughness with the whole Savard thing, and now no one thinks we need more guys like that?...look at what the conference champion Flyers just did, the added more toughness with Shelly, you think they will be fun to play 4 games a yr?...All im saying is a want atleast 1 more guy who will protect his teamates...especially Seguin

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham : This kid has an extraordinary "How do I get myself outta this" ability that I've rarely seen before... 
    Posted by RMiller87

I remember watching kickboxing years ago, long before MMA had an acronym.  It was on tv so maybe it's on the 'net somewhere.  Anyway, I watched one match where a guy would just throw himself at his opponent with these wild roundhouses and then huge axe kicks, maybe a couple of crazily over-extended, looping punches.  Everything but his eyes closed. The guy he was fighting calmly stepped out of the way and loaded up, but before he could counter and end the shame, the first guy would fall to the ground like he had butter on his feet.  The fight went on this way for at least a full round, maybe two, and the ref finally disqualified the guy for not actually fighting.  The look on the real fighter's face was like he'd eaten bad sushi.  Just disgusted and sick and embarrassed.

I wonder if Wheeler's related? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah im with JWensick, half of you guys were calling out the Bruins for lack of Toughness with the whole Savard thing, and now no one thinks we need more guys like that?...look at what the conference champion Flyers just did, the added more toughness with Shelly, you think they will be fun to play 4 games a yr?...All im saying is a want atleast 1 more guy who will protect his teamates...especially Seguin
    Posted by darrenryan

I think you've missed Wensink's point despite the fact he put it all in caps.  And that his post expressed a proposition of addition by subtraction in getting rid of Wheeler, Ryder, and Hunwick.  The goal here isn't to bring in a guy like Asham whatever you think of what he bring to the table. The goal is to get the whole team to play like it cares about winning every inch of ice. The more guys you have who don't play that way, the harder it is to get the rest of the team to buy into that philosophy: Pain wins.  Learn to love it.

Some guys have it so deeply ingrained that they could play with 17 Blake Wheelers and they'd never take a shift off.  Sutters were like that as players. Bourque's mantra was do everything hard. Neely was definitely like that.  Orr might have been around longer if he was even slightly less inclined to that philosophy. At his best, Messier was like that.  Skill guys can be that way too.  Trottier, Yzerman, Lafontaine - not many hits there but they all played guts out high tempo and dam the consequences.

The majority of guys fall somewhere in between.  Their willing, but eternally inclined.  It takes the right environment and set of circumstances.  This is where, if I was Wensink, I'd be ripping Julien a new one for sucking the life out of guys who are capable of playing with that fire.  I'll leave it at this - when 1/5th of your skaters are anchors on the emotional commitment of the team (Wensink's four horsemen), you have to change the make-up of the team or drastically change the environment.  I think JW will get half his wish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Asham : Question. If they resign McQuaid, and put him in Providence, his contract would not count against the cap (even though he was a FA), correct?
    Posted by Hockguy0818

In order for Adam to be shuttled back and forth without having to pass through waivers it must be a two way contract. If he signs a one way he must go through waivers to be sent down to Providence.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Jeremy Reich.
    No thanks on Asham, not horrid, I'd just rather have Sauve, Caron or Colborne on the ice.

In Response to Aaron Asham:
    One of Chia's main offseason goals was too add toughness to this team, so far he has added Horton and Campbell....is that all he is doing? look at the Bruins roster and Thornton is the only true fighter, Yes Stuart, Lucic, and Chara will all drop them, but what are your thoughts on adding a guy like Asham, he played well in the playoffs
    Posted by darrenryan

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Bookboy's best post yet - you just reached a new level

You get it -

Btw, your point regarding CJ is dead on. I said last year that the only guy in the league who could slow down Milan Lucic was Claude Julien. This team is just doing what their told...

Sections
Shortcuts