About trading Savard...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

About trading Savard...

First, I'm NOT in favor of this - in almost any form. But I've read a lot here about how one of the reasons that the Bs won't do this is because it would send the wrong message to future free agents about to sign here.

This is completely wrongheaded thinking.
    1.  It's a business - a guy just signed a contract that he must have liked, $$ - wise. It moves with him. Via con Dios.
    2.  The Bruins are trying to make their team better - any way they can! If that means trading a player they signed yesterday in a good deal, so be it, IMO.
    3.  And as to wrong message, what about the message in #2 that it sends to the Bruins - that your management will do anything they need to to improve. You do your part - play hard; we'll do our part by putting the best teams (Providence, too) we can out on the ice.

I don't think you have to trade Savard at all, but trade him if you think you have to, PC. Just make sure it turns out right cause this one could eventually mean your job!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: About trading Savard...

If they do trade him, it will be...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

First, I'm NOT in favor of this - in almost any form. But I've read a lot here about how one of the reasons that the Bs won't do this is because it would send the wrong message to future free agents about to sign here
    anacanapana  despite what everyone says, that is the oppisite in any players mind,,Heres why.
    A player like savard at his age, adding that many more years (guarantted) regardless where he goes is his retirement fund added to his nhl retirement fund when he is done hockey, just like the franchises say its business, so are the players, its all about security financailly wise, both sides.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS - the joke is dead.  Mostly as a function of attention span....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

what about the message it sends about an org's ability to understand the market and stretch the thinking a bit longer than a mere 7 months.

And for goodness sake if they want flexibility, don't give NTC so you can be more nimble and have more options.

I don't buy that so much has changed, Chia messed up with a few contracts. Some for too much, some for players too old, some for too long and a few with NTC that should never have been included. He made a few mistakes, it's as simple as that. He tied the team up and signed away his flexibility with the NTC! If he in fact wanted the option to move a player before the 1st day of their new contracts he should not have given them a NTC. 

The org is obviously unsettled in want they want to do and who they want on the team. They are now looking for a way out of a few deals. They bought high and will end up selling low, unfortunately.

I'm sure in private, they would admit a few mistakes on some major deals very recently.

What message does wrapping your team flexibility around the axle on a few deals with NTC so recently. He will get less than the assets should bring because the other GM and players involved know they have the leverage.

Last Point, of course every single move ever made by a GM from any sport has always been made to make the team better, so saying that is just a statement of the obvious.  Even if a player is moved the next day after signing a deal, what else is a GM and his fan base going to say ... that he made the trade to make the team worse, come on. 

The great GMs develop their farm system and build a team culture, they have vision of the team and the type of players that fit and they work to build it spinkled in with a few FA here and there ---- they don't not lurch from player deal to player deal before the ink is dry on the contracts--- that's just a bunch of BS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Except for Rask, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci and the Leafs' No.1 draftpick in 2011 (TBA), I don't see too many players that I would consider untouchable on the Black and Gold roster...

If Chiarelli feels that he can make a deal to improve the team by dealing Savard, he should have a green light to pull the trigger...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: About trading Savard...:
    Except for Rask, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci and the Leafs' No.1 draftpick in 2011 (TBA), I don't see too many players that I would consider untouchable on the Black and Gold roster... If Chiarelli feels that he can make a deal to improve the team by dealing Savard, he should have a green light to pull the trigger...
    Posted by RMiller87

How people can view Lucic as "untouchable" is beyond me

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Except for Rask, Seguin, Lucic, Krejci and the Leafs' No.1 draftpick in 2011 (TBA), I don't see too many players that I would consider untouchable on the Black and Gold roster... If Chiarelli feels that he can make a deal to improve the team by dealing Savard, he should have a green light to pull the trigger...
    Posted by RMiller87

I actually agree with everything you said except the Lucic/untouchable part. I like Savard and it would stink to see him leave, if it improves the team, Im for it. I just dont want savard to be given away for a bag of pucks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonyalbani89. Show anthonyalbani89's posts

I can understand why anyone would give an individual a long term contract. you are only as good as your last game, season or series.  I is nuts on some some of there contracts. Ferrance is one that I still am wondering about? Hasn't played a full season in how long and you complain about Hunwick and his 1.8 salary and his play? He is an up and coming rookie, that will blend with whatever they do to him. He is a quality guy who didn't make noise when they sat him last  year and gave more minutes to WIDES.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

lucic , still very young but not untouchable i would not give up on him but he is not on that list. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I can understand why anyone would give an individual a long term contract. you are only as good as your last game, season or series.  I is nuts on some some of there contracts. Ferrance is one that I still am wondering about? Hasn't played a full season in how long and you complain about Hunwick and his 1.8 salary and his play? He is an up and coming rookie, that will blend with whatever they do to him. He is a quality guy who didn't make noise when they sat him last  year and gave more minutes to WIDES.
    Posted by anthonyalbani89

One of the downsides of handing out any long term, seven year contract is if the player has a propensity towards injuries...  

Savard's contract is a potential long term Achilles heel for the Bruins...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lucic is untouchable but Savard is an achilles heal ? Lucic has numbers and consecutive year stats to back up that he is more valuable than Savard ?

Answer: BIG NO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NAS - the joke is dead.  Mostly as a function of attention span....
    Posted by Bookboy007

Sorry NAS , have to tell it like it is. Should have let it go long time ago. It was funny at one time with was being the key word.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: About trading Savard... : Sorry NAS , have to tell it like it is. Should have let it go long time ago. It was funny at one time with was being the key word.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Not an attempt at comedy!

15. This post has been removed.