Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked

Interested to get opinion's on this hit by Hjalmarsson on Pominville and the Sabres reaction.  This hit obviously did not end well for Jason Pominville, as it was reported that he left on a stretcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_twXZeZUr0

IMO, it looks like another reckless hit on a very good player.  Different part of the ice, but not entirely dissimilar to the Randy Jones hit on Bergeron.  I don't think Hjalmarsson is trying to hurt Pominville on the play, but still very reckless. 

I also thought the Sabres reaction was interesting, not too dissimilar to that of the Bruins in the Cooke/Savard incident.  Yes, they tackled Hjalmarsson, but their attention turned quickly to their injured teammate and his well being. 

You have to wonder how/when this stuff ends or if it ever does?  Pominville is a good player for the Sabres, 3rd in points last year.  I don't know much about Hjalmarsson, other than he has only played in 113 career games, and doesn't seem to have big PIMs or a suspension history.  I continue to believe that the players need to police this stuff, rather than the league (the Cooke hit is exhibit #1), and you have to wonder why they don't.  Hockey is a tough game, but it becomes very dangerous for skill players when marginal players are allowed to take liberties and play on the edge.  See Pominville and Bergeron (I purposely omit Cooke because I still believe that hit was intentional) if you need an example of the consequences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked

Funny how the Sabres went after him. Maybe the B's should watch how it's done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Pominville put himself in the position he needed to be in to make a play on the puck on the boards there. Hjar could've came in put his stick between Pom's legs and tied him up and pinched him against the boards.

Instead he flew in and threw a huge combo of penalties.
    I saw:
    Boarding
    Hit From Behind
    Roughing
    Charging

The league doesnt need players like that in it. Can't stand no names taking runs at stars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

20 games with out a doubt. such an easy ruling to make.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

Hjar clearly had to have seen the name on the back of the jersey, if you can read it, then you shouldn't throw the check. I agree, no names taking runs at star players.

I still think that the suspension should equal the injury time. In other words, Matt Cooke should not be able to play until Savvy comes back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked:
    [QUOTE]Interested to get opinion's on this hit by Hjalmarsson on Pominville and the Sabres reaction.  This hit obviously did not end well for Jason Pominville, as it was reported that he left on a stretcher. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_twXZeZUr0 IMO, it looks like another reckless hit on a very good player.  Different part of the ice, but not entirely dissimilar to the Randy Jones hit on Bergeron.  I don't think Hjalmarsson is trying to hurt Pominville on the play, but still very reckless.  I also thought the Sabres reaction was interesting, not too dissimilar to that of the Bruins in the Cooke/Savard incident.  Yes, they tackled Hjalmarsson, but their attention turned quickly to their injured teammate and his well being.  You have to wonder how/when this stuff ends or if it ever does?  Pominville is a good player for the Sabres, 3rd in points last year.  I don't know much about Hjalmarsson, other than he has only played in 113 career games, and doesn't seem to have big PIMs or a suspension history.  I continue to believe that the players need to police this stuff, rather than the league (the Cooke hit is exhibit #1), and you have to wonder why they don't.  Hockey is a tough game, but it becomes very dangerous for skill players when marginal players are allowed to take liberties and play on the edge.  See Pominville and Bergeron (I purposely omit Cooke because I still believe that hit was intentional) if you need an example of the consequences.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

The hit was from behind and Hjalmarsson should be suspended, even though he is not a dirty player with a history of this stuff, nor do I think he was trying to hurt Pomminville.  But I've given up on expecting the league to do the right thing.

This stuff happens so quickly on the ice that I'm not sure the guys on the ice always see what happened. The reaction by players on the ice is decidely different than it used to be. Now, it seems they are less likely to react immediately by pounding the opposing player(s) when there is an incident. Years ago, if you saw one of your players down like that you would beat the crap out of the closest guy in the wrong colored sweater even if you didn't know how your player got hurt. Pummel now ask questions later. Dang, I miss those days! :P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I dunno, I was watching that game and really don't consider that a dirty hit. I've seen way worse, it just seemed like he wasn't braced for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I watched that game. He basically threw his hip into Pominville. It was a hard hit and slightly to the rear but not in his back and not up high

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Was that interference?  I didn't see him touch the puck.  Or did he?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

In Response to Re: Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked:
    [QUOTE]I watched that game. He basically threw his hip into Pominville. It was a hard hit and slightly to the rear but not in his back and not up high
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]

You can clearly see his hands up high and his shoulders coming right into Pominvilles #. I didnt even see if Pominville had teh puck but he it was definatly a a charge and a boarding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Another Dangerous Hit: Pominville Smoked:
    [QUOTE]Interested to get opinion's on this hit by Hjalmarsson on Pominville and the Sabres reaction.  This hit obviously did not end well for Jason Pominville, as it was reported that he left on a stretcher. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_twXZeZUr0 IMO, it looks like another reckless hit on a very good player.  Different part of the ice, but not entirely dissimilar to the Randy Jones hit on Bergeron.  I don't think Hjalmarsson is trying to hurt Pominville on the play, but still very reckless.  I also thought the Sabres reaction was interesting, not too dissimilar to that of the Bruins in the Cooke/Savard incident.  Yes, they tackled Hjalmarsson, but their attention turned quickly to their injured teammate and his well being.  You have to wonder how/when this stuff ends or if it ever does?  Pominville is a good player for the Sabres, 3rd in points last year.  I don't know much about Hjalmarsson, other than he has only played in 113 career games, and doesn't seem to have big PIMs or a suspension history.  I continue to believe that the players need to police this stuff, rather than the league (the Cooke hit is exhibit #1), and you have to wonder why they don't.  Hockey is a tough game, but it becomes very dangerous for skill players when marginal players are allowed to take liberties and play on the edge.  See Pominville and Bergeron (I purposely omit Cooke because I still believe that hit was intentional) if you need an example of the consequences.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Looks to me that Hjalmarsson led with his hip, not aiming at the head, but his momentum meant that the rest of his (upper) body followed through and caught Pominville in a horribly vulnerable position. Charging, IMHO, is the main penalty, because what caused the hit to be injury-inducing was the fact that he had such speed coming into it. Normally that sort of check doesn't result in an injury, because normally that sort of check isn't induced by someone going 100 mph.

As for the reaction, as what happened with the Bruins (and the Panthers, when Booth was horribly injured, as I recall), the first flash of instinct (for those who witnessed the hit) is to nab the cluprit, but once everyone realizes that a teammate is badly hurt, your concern shifts to him. That's just human nature.

BTW, Hjalmarsson isn't a marginal player. He's a good young defenseman and the Blackhawks matched an offer sheet this summer to hang on to him even as they were jettisoning other players left and right. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought it was bad, and should result in a suspension.  It's not that I think Hjal was trying to hurt him, I don't, but he drilled him right in the numbers while he was in a vulnerable position against the boards -- something we're all taught not to do from pee-wee on up.  The hit was something Pominville couldn't possibly have anticipated and Hjal should have let up. 

If you've played hockey for years, I'm sure you've given hits that were far worse than you've intended but happen in a split second, which is probably the case here.  No intent, but still a really bad hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]oh good, so i'm not the only one who didn't think this was dirty. No suspension needed
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Have you gone troll on us or have you started smoking crack?
    take another look and tell me that isn't a hit from the back. It clearly is and therefore a suspension should be handed down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Blindside hit, interfernce and he could see the numbers so its a no brainer there will be a suspension.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Hopefully there is no suspension.  Pominville peaked over his shoulder and then turned towards the board in order to avoid being hit.  If he would have turned the other way and protected himself we would not be talking about it today.  I sick of seeing  player try to avoid being hit by turning towards the boards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

It was a blindside hit to the body.  I watched that game, it was a high intesity, physical game.  He probably should have kept his head on a swivel more.  Clearly Boarding, but neither vicious nor with intent to injure like Cooke's was on Savy.

I liked the response from his team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was bad, and should result in a suspension.  It's not that I think Hjal was trying to hurt him, I don't, but he drilled him right in the numbers while he was in a vulnerable position against the boards -- something we're all taught not to do from pee-wee on up.  The hit was something Pominville couldn't possibly have anticipated and Hjal should have let up.  If you've played hockey for years, I'm sure you've given hits that were far worse than you've intended but happen in a split second, which is probably the case here.  No intent, but still a really bad hit.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

/\-This

I played hockey my whole life and earned a scholarship and played in college.  Ive nailed guys MUCH worse than that.  Unless youve played at a high level (high school, pond & shinny dont count) you have NO IDEA how fast it happens out there.  You have a guy lined up and at the last second he moves a couple inches and its too late.  I really dont think he was trying to hurt him (I give MOST guys the benefit of the doubt because at the end of the day, anyone could end your career if you were that careless) and it was just like the Bergeron incident (I cant imagine Jones was trying to hurt him).  There should be a suspension, yes, but 2-4 games max.  Its not like he is a dirt bag, repeat offended like Cooke and took a deliberate head shot at the guy.  BIG difference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Ryan Miller made some good points discussing it today (see the Bruins blog). It wasn't an intent to injure; the hit didn't intentionally target the head. However, intent or not, the result was the same, and it deserves a suspension. Hjalmarsson, and other players, have to realize that the result of reckless on-ice behavior like this could be life-threatening injuries. As Miller said, you can't just say you didn't mean to hurt him and get away with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully there is no suspension.  Pominville peaked over his shoulder and then turned towards the board in order to avoid being hit.  If he would have turned the other way and protected himself we would not be talking about it today.  I sick of seeing  player try to avoid being hit by turning towards the boards.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Orr, I usually agree with you, but not this time. He looked right, but I'm pretty sure he didn't see that far back. And I've watched this hit frame by frame and he didn't turn his body a single inch, which is why I don't thik he ever saw the guy coming. If he had, he probably would have done something like you mentioned - turned towards the boards, or braced himself or something. He just didn't see it coming.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to[QUOTE]However, intent or not, the result was the same, and it deserves a suspension.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    The result was not the same.  Not nearly on the same magnitude as Savards.  Savy went out cold.  Pominville was conscious the whole time.  He didn't even go to the hospital..  I've seen Sobotka take harder hits and come back the next night - Too bad he had no skill.

Pomer got his bell rung.  He'll be aiit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The result was not the same.  Not nearly on the same magnitude as Savards.  Savy went out cold.  Pominville was conscious the whole time.  He didn't even go to the hospital..  I've seen Sobotka take harder hits and come back the next night - Too bad he had no skill. Pomer got his bell rung.  He'll be aiit.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

He didn't go to the hospital because he was diagnosed on site with a concussion, and there is nothing to be done at a hospital for a concussion. He'll sit for a least a week. They don't fool around with concussions these days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Per McKenzie tweet (the guy is fast), Hjalmarsson gets a two-game suspension.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was careless hit not as bad the Bergeron Hit, but it needs to be dealt with. Check out with what Sabre's Miller has to say about Savard hit ( The Globe). I always liked Miller can't stand Sabres, Ruff in partcular, but always liked Miller as person, now I like him even more.
    Posted by misterpister[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but this is not like the Bergeron hit. Patrice knew he was racing in the opposing teams end. I know Jones should'nt have hit him they way he did, but Patrice put himself in that position & Jones was doing his job. This hit, Pommer did actually put himself in the right position. Side against the boards to protect himself & the puck if  it came his way. Hjalmarsson came from the blind-side which is what the league is trying to stop. 2 games isn't enough. If the league wants to get this to stop it has to set a limit. First time offense for a blindside hit is 10 games automatically. After that it's 30 games & then the season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pretzeller. Show Pretzeller's posts

Hjalmarsson got the same suspension length as Wisniewski got for qesture at Avery (which I thought was hilarious)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]Hjalmarsson came from the blind-side which is what the league is trying to stop.
    Posted by nitemare-38
    [/QUOTE]
    Hits to the head.  This wasn't a targeted hit to the head.

Duinne, this hit isn't even close the freight-train Savy received.  Savard had severe head trama indicated by the rinkside examination.  They were checking for life threatening subdermal hematoma's.  Those are a little different than walking out of the rink with a few stitches.

Pomer will be aiit.