Answers for CBA circumvention

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Answers for CBA circumvention

In Response to Re: Answers for CBA circumvention:
    [QUOTE]the nba had plenty of movement this year, and the cap they have is fairly powderpuff wouldnt you say? I mean you ever heard of a team having to lose players to get under the cap? or can you explain how the 3 most prized free agents all end up on one team with a cap in place?
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Roler - I agree, the NBA cap is a bit soft. I just think something closer to the NBA style of cap is better than a hard cap. I noted earlier that I don't think the NBA cap is perfect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I do like the "Larry Bird Rule" being able to spend more, go over the cap to retain your own player. That part of the NBA soft cap I like.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Answers for CBA circumvention:
    [QUOTE]I do like the "Larry Bird Rule" being able to spend more, go over the cap to retain your own player. That part of the NBA soft cap I like.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think something like not having the first year of an RFA contract count against the cap would work, the thing i dont like about the "bird exemption" is that is also traded with you.. meaning if kovy had decided he would not sign with atl, and they  trade him (so that they can get a return) the next team would be able to sign him as part of that exemption..

the nba cap is way to soft, all a player has to do is not hit free agency and he can pretty much not count against the cap..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"the thing i dont like about the "bird exemption" is that is also traded with you.. meaning if kovy had decided he would not sign with atl, and they  trade him (so that they can get a return) the next team would be able to sign him as part of that exemption."

Dana Carvey as Johnny "I did not know that." the exemption goes with the player that I have to agree with Phil Hartman as Ed "You are correct sir Ha Ha!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwnset22. Show dwnset22's posts

The league and owners caused this mess to begin with by averaging the money out over the length of the contract, if the had just your salary each is you cap hit you would not see these types of things

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The only thing I don't like about the NBA cap is the trading of exemptions and cap management provisions - even dead money.  Imagine the Bruins trading Glen Murray's buy-out hit and a 2nd round pick to Atlanta for a quart of yogurt.  The problem is, I want to say the NHL should adopt the same policy re: retaining your own players as the NBA.  (Maybe it needs to be just players that you've drafted or players who played fewer than 41 NHL games for another organization.)  But as soon as I think that I think about the need for 20 capable bodies, most or all of whom will play more than garbage time and at least half of whom will play significant and important minutes.  You might be relieved to be able to go over the cap to keep your guys, but then you're over the cap and you can't go get your guys the help they need to compete - meaning you're going to have to trade some of your guys to clear some space.  Unless...there are exceptions for veterans to fill roles and mid-level guys every year who can fill out the roster.  I think the one necessarily leads to the other: home-grown exemption leads to complimentary provisions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok the "hard cap" and "soft cap" flexibility is certainly debatable.  I simply ask why do you need to develop flexibility when you have a cap (budget) to work your business.  Players need evaluation, finances are not the way to determine value, only hard core skill evaluation determines financial value.  If you lose determining a player is worth "x" in the skill level by signing him to an "x" amount of dollars then why do you crete a cap flexibility (hard or soft) that essentially says you "scr@wed up"?  Now that is circumventing the original intent of initiating the cap on salaries per team. Does the NHL need to develop a system that essentially makes parameters for each team and flexibility to account for poor judgement or does the NHL actually say if you incorrectly evaluate a player's skill then you pay.  Help!  Needs clarification for the broad thinking.