Argument I'm having regarding offsides

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Argument I'm having regarding offsides

I'm having an argument with another player.  Rules 83.1 states that A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick.

Now he insists that if one foot is ON the blue line and the other foot is in the offensive zone - this is ON SIDE.

I insist that "his own side of the line" means just that, on one side of the line and NOT on the line.

Can anyone site an official NHL source tha explicity states this scenario to settle this?

Thanks all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides

Yeah, he's right.  One foot on the edge of the line is all you need to stay on-sides while the puck crosses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I don't feel like searching for it but I was a referee a long time ago. As long as a body part is touching the line and not completely past the line the call is onside. A player can also skate backwards over the line before the puck crosses the blue line and if that player is in control of the puck the call would also be onside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'll be damned.  I've been playing all these years and always thought there had to be some white between my skate and the blue line.

Darn.  What my career might have been had I known.

Was my interpretation ever the case?  At one time if you skated into the zone backwards with the puck, you were offsides.  I remember Ace Bailey being called for that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides:
    I don't feel like searching for it but I was a referee a long time ago. As long as a body part is touching the line and not completely past the line the call is onside. A player can also skate backwards over the line before the puck crosses the blue line and if that player is in control of the puck the call would also be onside.
    Posted by Reilly24

I'm not positive this is correct.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : I'm not positive this is correct.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That is true, rule 83.1, this is a rule that I am sure has changed;
    However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : That is true, rule 83.1, this is a rule that I am sure has changed; However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Thanks for backing my play. I knew people wouldn't believe it but. I'm not 100 percent positive that the rule still exists either but I think it is still in affect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : Thanks for backing my play. I knew people wouldn't believe it but. I'm not 100 percent positive that the rule still exists either but I think it is still in affect.
    Posted by Reilly24

The rule is still in place . Seen it happen numerous times this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Always love learning new things.  I had no idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

don't try that in your mens league though, i did that in a junior B game a million years ago, the ref called it off sides, and i wound up getting 32 minutes in penalties for screaming at him for not knowing the rules
    Posted by pbergeron37

Wow, 32 minutes!

What were the penalties?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's a fairly recent change, isn't it?  I remember being stunned watching a game last year when a player clearly backed in while in possession and wasn't offside.  The announcers mentioned that this was the rule and I couldn't believe it.

pbergeron - that story doesn't look good on you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

That's a fairly recent change, isn't it?  I remember being stunned watching a game last year when a player clearly backed in while in possession and wasn't offside.  The announcers mentioned that this was the rule and I couldn't believe it. pbergeron - that story doesn't look good on you.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I believe that skating backward while controlling the puck became legally onside with the post lockout rule changes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

don't try that in your mens league though, i did that in a junior B game a million years ago, the ref called it off sides, and i wound up getting 32 minutes in penalties for screaming at him for not knowing the rules
    Posted by pbergeron37

He might have been right, but you might have been right.
    Depends on which flavor of the rules your league adopted.

Googling this, I ran across some reference that said that the 2 line offside was still being observed somewhere, they didn't say where. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

This web site has an "official NHL rule book" with a 1996 copyright. It has this as part of the offsides rules:

http://www.john-gates.com/popups/rules/play3.htm

1996 rule:

"A player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered "off-side"."

Current rule from nhl.com:
    "However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : I believe that skating backward while controlling the puck became legally onside with the post lockout rule changes.
    Posted by BadHabitude

You are correct sir, as long as the player has complete control of the puck.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Posted by pbergeron37

We want details!  LOL!   Were there any projectiles thrown?  Water bottles?  Milk crates?  Anyone get clubbed by their own shoe?  Did the peanut vendor get involved?  Inquiring minds want to know!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Posted by pbergeron37
    Three things I don't believe in this post.The million years,32pim's,and you played hockey!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : We want details!  LOL!   Were there any projectiles thrown?  Water bottles?  Milk crates?  Anyone get clubbed by their own shoe?  Did the peanut vendor get involved?  Inquiring minds want to know!!
    Posted by jalvis

Here is my guess:

2:00 for unsportsmanlike conduct (complaining to the ref)

2:00 for unsportsmanlike conduct (screaming like a woman while on the ice)

5:00 for childish behavior (breaking into tears)

10:00 misconduct for making up stories

10:00 misconduct for thinking we'd believe 32 minutes in penalties

1:00 for the need to use even numbers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm pretty sure that among Gretzky's 63 NHL records, one of them is:

Most PiM, sceaming like a woman while on ice (career): 88.

Rumour has it, that's why Lindros chose this number.  Carl and Bonnie refuse to confirm.

I'll guess (in all seriousness):

2min unsportsmanlike conduct
    5min match penalty for contacting an official
    5min major for throwing the stick in the direction of the official
    10min misconduct
    game misconduct (10min for statistical purposes)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ask Blake Wheeler about "offsides" he knows all about the subject!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

NAS and BB.  You guys are brutal.  You make Cooke look like little Bo Peep.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : I believe that skating backward while controlling the puck became legally onside with the post lockout rule changes.
    Posted by BadHabitude

This is not a new rule.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Argument I'm having regarding offsides : This is not a new rule.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

New is a relative term. 1996 is reasonably new to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I asked about this at my pickup game last night and a lot of guys have my interpretation of the rule - that there had to be white between your skate and the line.  I have to think this was the rule at one point in history.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Argument I'm having regarding offsides:
    I'm having an argument with another player.  Rules 83.1 states that A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. Now he insists that if one foot is ON the blue line and the other foot is in the offensive zone - this is ON SIDE. I insist that "his own side of the line" means just that, on one side of the line and NOT on the line. Can anyone site an official NHL source tha explicity states this scenario to settle this? Thanks all.
    Posted by BadHabitude

"A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with,"

That would answer it wouldn't it, the contact with is the blue line.

Gressssskiii took half his passes on the offside of the line and backed the puck across, rule has been in so long, I don't remember it not.