Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd?

Watched Team Canada almost get upset yesterday. The announcers made comments about Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd - and he did! Bad coaching there, IMO.

With that group of All-Stars? What's the thinking there? What that did (for example) was to significantly reduce the ice time of the guy
    (Iginla) that scored three for them in game one .

I don't get it. Fresh legs by Canana should carry the day. Canada's fourth line is better than most teams' second (and in some cases their first).

I'd shorten up shifts and roll 4 lines all game long. But that's just me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd?

Motivation.  Seabrook got his can stapled to the bench.  Not sure what he did, but this is how you get the attention of a group of All-Stars.  They're probably thinking the same way you are:  "Are you kidding!  We're so good, our fourth line could be the Swiss first line!"  So hey, talent will win out, right?  "I'm Jarome Iginla, I think I know how to play my game!"

Well, if the coach's plan says you do A, and you do B because you think you know better and, after all, you're Jarome Iginla, then the coach has to have the stones to say "Jarome, work the gate for this period."

Frankly, I love it.  Mckenzie's column saying the tourney will go to the team whose talent comes together by the end is exactly right - and this is how you get them to buy in.  Hold guys accountable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

He is holding some accountable and others not so much.

Though I do not know if it is so much benching as rewarding the fellows that have a great shift like he continued to do with the Shark attack.

Doughty got a long sit on the bench after losing puck that resulted in a goal, but Neidermeir got nothing and he was the one that let him skate in the zone and have a free blast at Brodeur and he scored. Neid also coughed up more pucks behind the net than Wideman does in 3 games.

Crosby took the game in his hands and you could see he was not coming away without a goal, what a look of determination. OV was 0/3 in his shootout chances.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brewnster. Show Brewnster's posts

Looked to me like Babcock had Bergy taking the face off's in the defensive end during the final minutes of the game.  Am I wrong?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Yes with about 9 sec left in the 3rd and a 2-2 tie Bergy took the face off in the defensive zone and it was a clean win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

I'm with you that nothing motivates like a lack of ice-time. And I like a coach/front office that holds players accountable. But because I haven't heard on any broadcast nor have I read anywhere that Babcock felt that he needed to target specific players because of their "indifference" or their undisciplined play, I assumed he was trying to give more playing time to those that he considers his "best" players.

IMO, this is what would be wrong.

Have you heard or read specifics?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd?:
    Looked to me like Babcock had Bergy taking the face off's in the defensive end during the final minutes of the game.  Am I wrong?
    Posted by Brewnster

He also took some in OT.Foolish Bergy did not get more ice time.He created an offensive opportunity every time he was on the ice while not making any miscues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Bergeron played his roll to a T last night - he took "and won" every big defensive zone face-off in the 3rd and Overtime, and then immediately changed up when they broke-out. His main roll for that team is just that, Defensive Responsibility when it is needed most.
    They don't need Bergy to develop offensive opportunities - he is there for his 2-way play and face-off domination.

He

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Babcock "shortening the bench" in the 3rd?:
    Bergeron played his roll to a T last night - he took "and won" every big defensive zone face-off in the 3rd and Overtime, and then immediately changed up when they broke-out. His main roll for that team is just that, Defensive Responsibility when it is needed most. They don't need Bergy to develop offensive opportunities - he is there for his 2-way play and face-off domination. He
    Posted by BradyBruin

I know what he was there for but in a 2-2 game late in the third and overtime,Bergy's fresh legs could have made the difference.No big deal though.I was just glad to see Bergy have another strong game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//"shortening the bench" in the 3rd?/ You say ?

Wouldn't mind someone else doing that after the break Hmmm......

Sections
Shortcuts