1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtw2. Show mtw2's posts

Bergeron 3 years 15 million

Hope they get Chara done soon too....http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336665

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million

Only 3 years, interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

2-3 years is what I expected.  His intangibles are off the charts, and his defensive and face-off abilities are excellent.  But we do not know if he is capable of getting beyond or near the 73 points he had in 2006(?).  He'll get that chance now with Savard out.  I didn't think the B's would sign Bergy, as much as we love him, beyond 3 years without knowing if he can bring first or 2nd line center offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I'll be happy if it turns out to be true.  If he avoids another concussion, Bergie could grow into a significantly larger contract in three years time. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million:
    Only 3 years, interesting. Posted by bim09

I was just going to type that Bim "Interesting Chiarelli only went 3 years" but Patrice and his agent might have insisted as that would be 3 big contracts for Bergeron for his career if the reports are indeed true but when TSN reports NHL it's usually true. Now get Chara done

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million : I was just going to type that Bim "Interesting Chiarelli only went 3 years" but Patrice and his agent might have insisted as that would be 3 big contracts for Bergeron for his career if the reports are indeed true but when TSN reports NHL it's usually true. Now get Chara done
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It's a good deal for Bergeron; he'll be a UFA when he's right in the middle of what should be his prime. And a good deal for the Bruins, Bergeron would get a ton on the open market this spring (I can just imagine Yzerman ready to pounce), and this actually is slightly less, IIRC, than what he's making now ($5.75 mil per year, I think).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Probably the best fwd in the NHL if you combine play all zones and also the fact that he plays also PP and PK and is our best face off man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million : It's a good deal for Bergeron And a good deal for the Bruins, and this actually is slightly less, IIRC, than what he's making now ($5.75 mil per year, I think). Posted by duinne

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BOS&season=1011

Yep and the cap hit only goes up $250,000 for the next 3 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Very happy to see that Bergeron is locked up for another three years.  Most versatile forward on the team, can play any position in any situation.

Like others, a little surprised by the duration and the dollars.  I was hoping to see a longer extension with a lower cap hit (5 years @ $4M per?).  Not sure PC didn't fall into the TT trap again, overpaying because you love the guy and his game.  Hard to figure that a guy averaging 46 points over his past two seasons nets $5M annually over the next three years on the open market, but we will never know.  Still, glad to have him locked-up, kid is a class act and a very good player. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Probably the best fwd in the NHL if you combine play all zones and also the fact that he plays also PP and PK and is our best face off man.
    Posted by lucaooo

Badhab.....where are you???  Why is this better than the "trolls"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million : Badhab.....where are you???  Why is this better than the "trolls"
    Posted by JWensink

'cause he hasn't said it 15,735 times over the last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Bergeron 3 years 15 million:
    Hope they get Chara done soon too.... http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336665
    Posted by mtw2

Amen to that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron 3 years 15 million : 'cause he hasn't said it 15,735 times over the last year.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Hope Bergeron plays well enough that he'll be able to keep saying it 15,735 times.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Very happy to see that Bergeron is locked up for another three years.  Most versatile forward on the team, can play any position in any situation. Like others, a little surprised by the duration and the dollars.  I was hoping to see a longer extension with a lower cap hit (5 years @ $4M per?).  Not sure PC didn't fall into the TT trap again, overpaying because you love the guy and his game.  Hard to figure that a guy averaging 46 points over his past two seasons nets $5M annually over the next three years on the open market, but we will never know.  Still, glad to have him locked-up, kid is a class act and a very good player. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

As you can see on the TSN link,Bergeron is a highly coveted player by fans of all teams.Like Neely,Bergeron is a player that's impossible to hate.I know many Habs fans and have never heard anyone be negative about him.Bergeron plays such an honest game that he has to be respected by friend and foe alike.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Now that we have Bergy signed, krejci and seguin for another two more years under contract. Looks to me this is our future center men. Everybody is saying Chara, i would sign also but no more then 3 yrs. If the bruins do not go at least to conference finals this year some major changes will be done in off season. I as a bruins fan is expecting them to go far into playoffs because this is their 3rd year as playoff contenders.

(1) I will hold off on Chara until trade deadline to see what kind of situation the bruins are in.
    (2) Ryder and Sturm will be non contract next summer (aprox. 7.5 mill minus fron cap) we can go searching for FA's
    (3) Savard and Hunwick will be the odd man  out before deadline Savard I have the feeling he will be in Ottawa before deadline Savard Hunwick and prospects will go to Ottawa in return we will get Kovalev, Carlson and conditions. simple reason Kovalev has one year left and bruins are in search for young d men in comes Carlson. If the bruins have a missing link on PP Jarvis and CJ say lets get Kovalev hear. I personally do not like Kov. but for half a season why not he is good puck mover and set up and can score.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Looch Krejci Horton
    Kovalev Bergy Wheels
    Sturm(when ready) Seguin Rechhi (Ryder in minors or on waivers)
    Paille Campbell Thornton
    Caron Mcgrattan fill ins

Chara( sign for 2 years) Sieds
    Carlson Boychuk
    Ference Stuart
     Mcquaid/Bartowski

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Good Job by PC with this one. $5 million may be a little more then I would have liked to see, but the (3) three years minimizes the impact on the cap, should Patrice suffer another concussion, which he is 8 times more likely to have happen then any other player on the team, except for Savard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

You sure Bettman doesnt have to review this one first... seems kinda long lol Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Good deal for Bergeron and for the Bruins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Chiarelli basically gave Bergeron the Peter Schaefer buyout money (which ends after this year), so his cap hit going up will have minimal effect on the roster.  Still, as much as I like Bergeron, $5M seems like a lot for the player that he is, circumstances or not.  I think he's got it in him to earn it, but he needs to actually earn it.  We will see.

And cross you fingers that the Chiarelli early-extension-injury-bug doesn't get him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ahh now we have the anti "trollogic" at work dispelling all "kool aid" comments and maintaining the status quo as "doom monger trolls" are buried in ignore buttons.  Bergeron is one of the better players in the NHL, he was picked for the Olympic team despite the concussions.  At the beginning of the year the Bs fans have a right to be optimistic.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Top 5 in faceoff % in the league, One of the top shutdown centers in the league, has shown he can put up offensive #'s (31 goals, 73pts a few yrs ago) - granted our offense was pathetic last year, he still finished tied for first without a LW on his line the entire season.
    I have no issue with this - and this preseason I think he has shown to be your true leader on the ice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

(3) Savard and Hunwick will be the odd man  out before deadline Savard I have the feeling he will be in Ottawa before deadline Savard Hunwick and prospects will go to Ottawa in return we will get Kovalev, Carlson and conditions. simple reason Kovalev has one year left and bruins are in search for young d men in comes Carlson. If the bruins have a missing link on PP Jarvis and CJ say lets get Kovalev hear. I personally do not like Kov. but for half a season why not he is good puck mover and set up and can score. Posted by Canbostondoit

I agree with you about Hunwick being gone soon but not for Jon Carlson (If that's the Carlson your speaking of) Washington has a stud on their hands he's not going anywhere.

Please explain to me why Bryan Murray would trade for Savard while he is suffering from PCS and not playing ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I have a few thoughts on this.  Three to five years is about right for any player Bergeron's age - except, maybe, the Kovalchuks of the world.  There's not much value to either side in locking PB up long term.  You'd have to go a long way for declining final years to affect the cap hit.  So this is like most contracts - a dance between wanting the stability of knowing he's in the fold and not handcuffing yourself if Seguin, Colborne, and Krejci are all better offensive players by the end of this deal. 

Note that Seguin, Colborne, Caron, Sauve, will all be up for renewal at the end of three years - when Bergeron has 1 year left.  Note that in four years, Marc Savard has no more NTC.  Note that Tim Thomas will be off the books either in full glory or no.

This is a Ryan Kessler deal.  I'd bet a large cup of coffee that that was the bar - Kessler's recently signed deal.  Now, Kessler had 75 points last year, but that was the first time he'd gone over 60, and Kessler got 6 years of security.  I think the deal reflects the belief that Bergeron is capable of 75 points a year as well as playing extremely competitive two-way hockey.  He's not as abrasive as Kessler, but Bergeron's a better face-off guy.

This is basically the bar for the top two way centres now - Fisher's in this range as is Jordan Staal.

Sections
Shortcuts