Bergeron for #4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

Bergeron for #4

It's been written that Florida is in need of a Center. Assuming that Fowler is still left at #3, would you trade Bergeron for the pick? Here are the Pros and Cons of the deal as I see them.

Pros:
    - You're trading one year of Bergeron (he's a UFA after this year) for 3-7 years of Fowler.
    - Puck moving defensemen are hard to come by.
    - You dump bergeron's cap hit (~$4.5 million), probably giving you about $3 million extra to play with this year.

Cons:
    - Bergeron is an excellent two-way center.
    - You lose his leadership.
    - Fowler is unproven.

For the record I would make the trade, although it would be tough. I'd compare it to the trade that sent Richard Seymour away for the Patriots, which I was also in favor of, although grudingly: it's sending away a great player and teammate, but it's a good thing for the team long-term.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

Re: Bergeron for #4

1. My bad on the pick number (fixed).

2. You'll notice I said approximately 4.5 million.

3. Dumping him would free up 4.5 minus whatever Fowler makes in his first year (dependent on bonuses), correct?

4. He could be resigned whether he's trade or not, in theory. (But we are dealing with humans here, not robots, so you have a point).

5. You can compare any two players, no matter the age gap. I think what you meant to say was that Seymour and Bergeron are not a good comparison because of the age difference, which is a fair point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

So your main hang-up is the age issue?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Trading Bergy is legitimate to discuss.  Bruins fans need to get real...we have plenty of centers and few wings.  I have proposed Bergy for the #4 in another thread, I think it makes sense. 

If the Bruins are fortunate enough to draft Seguin, that gives them four legit 1st/2nd line centers.  Enough of the "move Seguin to wing until he proves himself nonsene"...If Seguin is the franchise player that he is projected to be, he will be centering the top-line within 3 years. 

So that leaves Krejci, Savard and Bergy.  I believe that Krejci is the best of the rest, so I am all for moving either Savvy or Bergy for W/D help.  Savvy has an ntc and a cap-friendly contract, so that leaves Bergy.  The only "out" is if Bergy is willing to sign a cap-friendly contract and be able to move to wing.  With his history of concussions, that is a risk.

It is not that I don't like Bergy, far from it.  He is one of my favorite players.  But on a team with so much depth at center, the Bruins can no longer afford that luxury.  Bergy for the #4, draft Fowler or Gudbranson. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron for #4:
    Trading Bergy is legitimate to discuss.  Bruins fans need to get real...we have plenty of centers and few wings.  I have proposed Bergy for the #4 in another thread, I think it makes sense.  If the Bruins are fortunate enough to draft Seguin, that gives them four legit 1st/2nd line centers.  Enough of the "move Seguin to wing until he proves himself nonsene"...If Seguin is the franchise player that he is projected to be, he will be centering the top-line within 3 years.  So that leaves Krejci, Savard and Bergy.  I believe that Krejci is the best of the rest, so I am all for moving either Savvy or Bergy for W/D help.  Savvy has an ntc and a cap-friendly contract, so that leaves Bergy.  The only "out" is if Bergy is willing to sign a cap-friendly contract and be able to move to wing.  With his history of concussions, that is a risk. It is not that I don't like Bergy, far from it.  He is one of my favorite players.  But on a team with so much depth at center, the Bruins can no longer afford that luxury.  Bergy for the #4, draft Fowler or Gudbranson. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Three years ago I bought a signed Bergeron jersey for my daughter.  Nonetheless Crowls2424 you are absolutely correct.  The center position is deep enough to take a chance.  I think a legitimate winger would be a good gamble at this point.  Me thinks Florida would want a bit more in the deal.  Certainly Horton would be discussed along with others, namely Stuart.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JezzaNuts. Show JezzaNuts's posts

You guys are drunk. Maybe Bergeron for St. Louis or some other proven NHL winger. Not a maybe draft pick that might turn into a good NHL player.

Bergeron is a great player with now a bunch of playoff experience, if he is ever traded he will end up captain of another team and will go down as one of the worst trades PC ever made.

But I don't see it happening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjd. Show emjd's posts

Trade Krejci before you trade Bergy. Why is there such a lack of respect to Bergy on these boards. Krejci has had two full seasons in the NHL and both ended with serious injuries, throw in his concussion in his first NHL game. That's the guy you want to keep. Answer me this, when Savard went down, how come Bergy became the first line center? Why did bergy out produce Krejci in the season and the playoffs? Why did the bruins brass have to tell bergy to slow down when he was trying to recover from his concussion, actually forced him to take a vacation at one point. yet this year claude questioned krejci's commitment to regaining his play from last season. But let's trade bergy, thank good you have no control over this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

You guys are drunk. Maybe Bergeron for St. Louis or some other proven NHL winger. Not a maybe draft pick that might turn into a good NHL player. Bergeron is a great player with now a bunch of playoff experience, if he is ever traded he will end up captain of another team and will go down as one of the worst trades PC ever made. But I don't see it happening.
    Posted by JezzaNuts

Throwing around the term "great" a little loosely, don't you think?  Bergy had 52 points last year, tying him for 87th in the NHL scoring race.  I love this guy's game, but great it is a numbers game now. 

B's fans need to get real...to get something of value, we will need to give something of value.  Nobody wants to give the B's a top pick/player/prospect for Ryder, Wideman or Ference.  PC will have to make some tough decisions, but this is one that I would support.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

Trade Krejci before you trade Bergy. Why is there such a lack of respect to Bergy on these boards. Krejci has had two full seasons in the NHL and both ended with serious injuries, throw in his concussion in his first NHL game. That's the guy you want to keep. Answer me this, when Savard went down, how come Bergy became the first line center? Why did bergy out produce Krejci in the season and the playoffs? Why did the bruins brass have to tell bergy to slow down when he was trying to recover from his concussion, actually forced him to take a vacation at one point. yet this year claude questioned krejci's commitment to regaining his play from last season. But let's trade bergy, thank good you have no control over this team.
    Posted by emjd

It is not a lack of respect for Bergeron that has posters contemplating trading him, it is their acknowledgment that he is a valuable player, albeit overpaid.  I am of the "Bergeron as a Bruin for his career" mentality.  The guy is a fan favorite, team leader, and an amazing player.  I think he is our MVP most nights.  He is also worth much more than a high 1st round pick.  For example, Wheeler was a top 5 pick and he suks haha.  Just kidding Wheeler, I hope we resign you and you score 30 next year like we know you can.  Bottom line, our top 3 centers are good enough to contend for Stanleys cup, they are not the problem and none should be moved.  Build on what we have and add wingers.  Let Seguin play wing for a year or, as we all know will happen, until one of our star centers ends up in the hospital.  Depth is a goooooood thing, especially at center.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

You guys are drunk. Maybe Bergeron for St. Louis or some other proven NHL winger. Not a maybe draft pick that might turn into a good NHL player. Bergeron is a great player with now a bunch of playoff experience, if he is ever traded he will end up captain of another team and will go down as one of the worst trades PC ever made. But I don't see it happening.
    Posted by JezzaNuts
    that is why krejci is the one to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Pbergeron37 makes some very good arguments. You're thinking in actual hockey sense. Chiarelli swung and missed badly on his first main attempt to find a scoring wing via free agency (yes, let's get it out there, most of us can't stand Michael Ryder). Unless Chiarelli swings for the fences for Kovy or Marleau (which I hope he doesn't), we just have to wait for some of the kids to develop from within and you just can't bank on a great FA pickup for the wings.

That said ... If Chiarelli is thinking about developing from within, trading Bergeron for a 3-5 pick makes a ton of sense. The team lands a potential franchise defenseman to go along with a great young center in Seguin. Plus, the team does free up a sizable chunk of cash for Seidenberg and perhaps an affordable free agent wing.

Not one of us should question Bergy's heart, skill set and devotion to the team. Still, he could be a great chip to firmly solidify the organization's core.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Don't trade Bergeron ! He has tallied 27 goals combined in his last 2 seasons

We can't afford to lose that kind of production, or his cap friendly contract of 5.75 million -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjd. Show emjd's posts

Bergy had 52 points in 73 games while Krejci had 52 points in 79 games. In the play-offs, Krejci got his 8th point on the play he was injured on, Bergy had 9 points at that time. Bergy had a revolving door on his wing opposite Recci. For their careers, Bergy is averaging .74 points to Krejci's .68. Bergy is better defensively, better at face-offs and scores more, and only about ten months older. As for their first seasons, Bergy was barely 18 when he had 39 points to lead the league in rookie scoring and come in second in ROY award. Krejci was on the I95 shuttle his first two years in the pro's. But his first full NHL season was his third pro season and he scored 73 points, which Bergy also did his second year as a pro. As for the Claude comment, it happened around dec or jan, before the Olympics. Don't remember the actual date, but it did happen. his work ethic was questioned his first two years here, that's why he was on the I95 shuttle. So since Bergy out produces him, out works him, is a more complete player, I'd rather see Krejci go before Bergy, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. And as for the +/-, Neely never led the league either, I'd still take him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

Don't trade Bergeron ! He has tallied 27 goals combined in his last 2 seasons We can't afford to lose that kind of production, or his cap friendly contract of 5.75 million -
    Posted by JWensink

ouch!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

Bergy had 52 points in 73 games while Krejci had 52 points in 79 games. In the play-offs, Krejci got his 8th point on the play he was injured on, Bergy had 9 points at that time. Bergy had a revolving door on his wing opposite Recci. For their careers, Bergy is averaging .74 points to Krejci's .68. Bergy is better defensively, better at face-offs and scores more, and only about ten months older. As for their first seasons, Bergy was barely 18 when he had 39 points to lead the league in rookie scoring and come in second in ROY award. Krejci was on the I95 shuttle his first two years in the pro's. But his first full NHL season was his third pro season and he scored 73 points, which Bergy also did his second year as a pro. As for the Claude comment, it happened around dec or jan, before the Olympics. Don't remember the actual date, but it did happen. his work ethic was questioned his first two years here, that's why he was on the I95 shuttle. So since Bergy out produces him, out works him, is a more complete player, I'd rather see Krejci go before Bergy, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. And as for the +/-, Neely never led the league either, I'd still take him.
    Posted by emjd
    a clear and lucid response! nice and i agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

You all that keep suggesting trade Bergeron--- trade Krejci---THANK GOD YOU ARE NOT THE GM OF THIS TEAM.   You don't trade guys coming into the prime of their Careers.  Bergeron is NOT overpayed for what he does for this team and Krejci is just getting better and better.   Stick with the young core of this team--- add Seguin (who I prefer) or Hall.  Add Colborne when he is ready.  Use next years gift from Toronto to build your defense for the future.  

The Contract that needs to be cleared is Thomas.  We all know that we are stuck with Ryders for now. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Bergeron would not fetch the 4th pick straight up. Maybe the 7th pick and upwards

Krecji could get you the 4th pick. That would never happen though

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's all going to depend on what Bergeron wants in his extension. If he wants the amount he makes now or a pay raise PC has to trade him. I just don't think Tallon's first major move will be trade down in the first round for a center who is not that far removed from a major head injury. I say Tallon would not do it but Minn. maybe they need everything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

No way bergeron asks for a pay raise my guess is that he signs for about four years 4.5 million per
    Posted by pbergeron37
    i agree

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

It's all going to depend on what Bergeron wants in his extension. If he wants the amount he makes now or a pay raise PC has to trade him. I just don't think Tallon's first major move will be trade down in the first round for a center who is not that far removed from a major head injury. I say Tallon would not do it but Minn. maybe they need everything.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin
    i looked minne has NOTHING and st.louis is a tough fit also. columbus or fla has picks and wings, who plays right wing with savard????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I am sure any team picking top 5 in the draft is a bad team in a rebuilding mode.  The benefit of the draft for those teams is more getting a good NHL ready player for a bargain price for at least a few years.  I don't think they would trade that away for a $5 million dollar salary in return.  If they trade away the #4 pick, it will surely take a package deal of picks, at least one top prospect and a roster player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from camneely1983. Show camneely1983's posts

Bergeron will win the cup in Boston.........................PERIOD

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I don't see Bergeron worth a #4 pick--this greatly overvalues him.

Don't get me wrong: I like the guy, but if I were a GM, no way would I trade a #4 straight up for Bergeron. Maybe....maybe a lower-third first round pick, but certainly not a #4.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Bergeron for #4:
    It's been written that Florida is in need of a Center. Assuming that Fowler is still left at #3, would you trade Bergeron for the pick? Here are the Pros and Cons of the deal as I see them. Pros: - You're trading one year of Bergeron (he's a UFA after this year) for 3-7 years of Fowler. - Puck moving defensemen are hard to come by. - You dump bergeron's cap hit (~$4.5 million), probably giving you about $3 million extra to play with this year. Cons: - Bergeron is an excellent two-way center. - You lose his leadership. - Fowler is unproven. For the record I would make the trade, although it would be tough. I'd compare it to the trade that sent Richard Seymour away for the Patriots, which I was also in favor of, although grudingly: it's sending away a great player and teammate, but it's a good thing for the team long-term.
    Posted by legolaspinkerton

If Florida is in such bad shape at center that they are willing to trade the #4 pick, wouldn't they want a guy who is going to put up more points?

Patrice Bergeron is a fantastic player who makes a team complete.  He can play every forward position and mans the point on the PP.  He fills in all of the gaps any club might have (see:  Team Canada), but isn't the superstud that takes a team from the doledrums to the spotlight by himself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't see Bergeron worth a #4 pick--this greatly overvalues him. Don't get me wrong: I like the guy, but if I were a GM, no way would I trade a #4 straight up for Bergeron. Maybe....maybe a lower-third first round pick, but certainly not a #4.
    Posted by Kennedy97

I think he is, but the trade partner has to have the need for his services.  Bergeron is greatly undervalued here because he's not Stamkos and he's not St. Louis.  He's also not Mike Green and he's also not JS Giguere.

His play, and what he bring to the ice, is very general.  It might not show up on the score sheet every night, but that doesn't make him less valuable.  He's not going to lead your team in goals, but that's not why you have him.  He's not going to lead your team in assists, but that's not why you have him.  He's not going to play defense or goaltender either, but that's not why you have him.

If not mired on third line duty, he could score 30.  If he had a better set of wingers around him, her could get credit for 50 assists.  Meanwhile, he'll just continue to do well offensively, do well defensively, shut down the other club's top guy, crush it in the faceoff circle, man the PP point, excel on the PK, play hard every shift, throw his body around, and lead by example.

And those are only the things we can see.

Sections
Shortcuts