Best Bruins trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Best Bruins trades

So I was thinking about this last night, whether it was the Espo/Hodge/Stanfield tarde, or the Pederson for Neely/Wesley trade or the Ron Grahame for the pick that became Ray Bourque trade, so I asked my brothers their opinion and one sent me this response about the long term ramifications of the Pederson trade. It's stunning, and two current roster players can be connected back to the ramifications of that trade. Take a read of his note to me.

There are a few but Pederson for Neely and a 1st keeps giving.
    The 1st rounder became Glen Wesley at 3rd overall.
    A decade later Wesley is traded to Hartford for 3 1st round picks.
    Becoming McLaren, Aitken and Samsonov.
    McLaren was trade for Jillson and Hakett and then Jillson is traded back to the Sharks for Brad Boyes who was then traded for Wideman who was then traded, along with a 1st rounder for Nathan Horton.
    Samsonov was traded to The Oil for Reasonor, Yan Statsny and a 2nd round pick.  With that pick the Bruins selected Milan Lucic.
    So 23 years later they still have Lucic, Horton and club president Cam Neely roaming around.

Although 
    Pit Martin, Jack Norris and Gill Marotte were traded for Espo, Hodge and Stanfield.
    After a great career Espo was later traded, with Carol Vadnais for Brad Park, Jean Ratelle and Joe Zanussi
    While Hodge, at the end of his career was traded for Rick Middleton who helped Pederson get all his points to allow them to land Neely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Best Bruins trades

Bottom line IMHO is results, and the Esposito-from-Chicago trade led directly to two Stanley Cups. That clinches it for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Glen Wesley traded for three 1st rounders which eventually became Kyle McLaren (1995), Johnathan Aitken (1996) and Sergei Samsonov (1997). McLaren then traded to San Jose for Jeff Jillson and Jeff Hackett. Jillson was sent back to San Jose for Brad Boyes. Boyes eventually landed Dennis Wideman whom was traded last summer for Nathan Horton and Greg Campbell.

Brad Stuart and Wayne Pirmeau for Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew was a real nice one as well.

#1 for me is the Jean Ratelle and Brad Park for an aging Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais. The Bruins from 1977 to 1979 were some of my favorite years of routing for Boston. Sinden was not afraid to part with a fan favorites and that trade was a steal Harry took New York to school as the Bruins went to two Stanley Cups in a row.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

My favorite trade was Ken Hodge for Rick Middleton. The guy was a magician and an artist—a real treat to watch. Plus the trade had the added bonus of leaving Rangers fans apoplectic for years. He and Park and Ratelle sure made good Bruins, didn't they?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey, I like all of those, but my favorite...  I can tell you which one it is GOING to be!!   It will rival Pederson for Neely - which will become second best in a couple or 3 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

My personal favorites:

To VAN: Barry Pederson
    To BOS: Cam Neely, 1st Rounder (VAN)

To CHI: Pit Martin, Jack Norris, Gill Marotte
    To BOS: Espo, Kenny Hodge, Freddy Stanfield

To TOR: Phil Kessel
    To BOS: 1st in 2010 (Tyler Seguin), 2nd in 2010 (Jared Knight), 1st in 2011 (I pray it'll be Matt Peumpel)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I liked both trades with the Rangers.. Bruins certainly got the better of both.. #1 for me was Ken Hodge for Nifty which turned out to be  one of the all time steals..Still wondering why Nifty  isn't in the Hall of Fame..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

The Espo trade was probably the best trade in Boston sports history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No love for the Walter for Nokeleinen deal?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If it had been Walter for Nokelainnen straight up, sure, but the Bruins threw in a pick which became a higher pick because Pete played enough games.  That knocks it back out of the top five.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IGreat Post!n Response to Best Bruins trades:
    [QUOTE]So I was thinking about this last night, whether it was the Espo/Hodge/Stanfield tarde, or the Pederson for Neely/Wesley trade or the Ron Grahame for the pick that became Ray Bourque trade, so I asked my brothers their opinion and one sent me this response about the long term ramifications of the Pederson trade. It's stunning, and two current roster players can be connected back to the ramifications of that trade. Take a read of his note to me. There are a few but Pederson for Neely and a 1st keeps giving. The 1st rounder became Glen Wesley at 3rd overall. A decade later Wesley is traded to Hartford for 3 1st round picks. Becoming McLaren, Aitken and Samsonov. McLaren was trade for Jillson and Hakett and then Jillson is traded back to the Sharks for Brad Boyes who was then traded for Wideman who was then traded, along with a 1st rounder for Nathan Horton. Samsonov was traded to The Oil for Reasonor, Yan Statsny and a 2nd round pick.  With that pick the Bruins selected Milan Lucic. So 23 years later they still have Lucic, Horton and club president Cam Neely roaming around. Although  Pit Martin, Jack Norris and Gill Marotte were traded for Espo, Hodge and Stanfield. After a great career Espo was later traded, with Carol Vadnais for Brad Park, Jean Ratelle and Joe Zanussi While Hodge, at the end of his career was traded for Rick Middleton who helped Pederson get all his points to allow them to land Neely.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Raycroft for Rask, anyone?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

In Response to Re: Best Bruins trades:
    [QUOTE]Raycroft for Rask, anyone?
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Still to early on that one. Could be right up there though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

There are a few but Pederson for Neely and a 1st keeps giving. The 1st rounder became Glen Wesley at 3rd overall. A decade later Wesley is traded to Hartford for 3 1st round picks. Becoming McLaren, Aitken and Samsonov. McLaren was trade for Jillson and Hakett and then Jillson is traded back to the Sharks for Brad Boyes who was then traded for Wideman who was then traded, along with a 1st rounder for Nathan Horton.

Changing gears for a second: I have always wondered about the McLaren trade. The day before training camp he announces that he will not play for the Bruins again and demands a trade. Dale Arnold would talk about "maturity issues" and the whole thing felt like one big cover up. A few years back I went to the opener at home against Calgary and had a chance to talk to an employee of the team. I asked him about it and he just smiled but refused to give me the reason why. Does anyone know the real reason why he wanted out so bad ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

My top 10

1a) Espo trade
    1b) Neely trade
    3) Grahame for #8 - Bourque
    4) Middleton for Hodge
    5) Raycroft for Rask
    6) Ranford for Moog
    7) Kessel for Seguin and others 
    8) Oates for Janney and Quintal
    9) Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau for Kobasew and Ference
    10) Horton and Campbell for #15 and Wideman (looks good now but who knows)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with beantowngm.  Neely and Espo are way ahead of the pack.

But, I honestly believe that someday the Kessel trade will be in that category.  Everybody points to the three draft picks, but it is even more than that.  The Bruins saved 5.5 million a year when they sent Kessel to Toronto.  Until those picks are out of their entry level deals and playing full time, that is a huge annual savings for the Bruins.  That savings allowed the signings of Horton, Chara, Bergeron (take your pick).

The ability to have that $5.5 million back that they would have spent on Kessel is a very underrated part of the deal.  Think about the cap problems if Kessel signed here...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RaySheroGM. Show RaySheroGM's posts

A few other good ones

P.Peeters for B.Mccrimmon

C.Simmer for 1st pk 85 / D.Gratton

D.Christian for B.Joyce

B.Guerin,1st pk for A.Carter,1st pk,2nd pk

The Bruins made out very well in all these trades.

Sections
Shortcuts