Bettman calls Avery remarks disgusting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

This story upsets me to no end. I'm not the biggest B's fan at all, but Bergeron gets flattened head-first into the boards and misses most of last season and the playoffs (his offender gets a two game suspension). Avery makes a couple of inappropriate remarks and he gets SIX games and Dallas no longer wants him?

Bettman is a class-A jerk. I can't stand Avery, but to have an employer fire you when you're going to get help for your "issues" is wrong. He's got issues, many of us do, and he's dealing with it. Why not give him the chance to improve himself as a person and hockey player before firing him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Sorry, the point was to focus on the NHL's priorities. Bergeron is an up-and-coming star who gets crushed and the NHL won't protect him (or other players) by giving an appropriate suspension. But, make a few comments about your ex making her way around the NHL and your career gets derailed.

Does this make any sense at all?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Dallas is just using this as an excuse to get out of a deal that they now realize they should never have made. Bettman is just the enabler.

I do agree that, relatively speaking, his punishment was WAY over the line for the degree of his offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Avery is an embarassment, but, as obnoxious as he is I don't think the league should allow the Stars to basically void his contract (and maybe his career) and ship him off. He's not a sex offender. He was dating one of the hottest women on the planet and it didn't work out and he's upset about it on some level. You can lose your job for that?!

To be clear, what he said was wrong. He can say that in confidence to his friends or something, but not like he did. The fact that the NHL has spent so much time on Avery while Bergeron isn't the same player a year later is BS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Ive posted about this a few times here and the majority of the responders were on the side of the NHL. Absolute JOKE!!!!!!! Who cares what Avery says about some ex-girlfriend. I hope everyone here watches what they say about an ex from high school. Your employer has the ability to fire you. Disgusting is the correct term alright, but not about Averys remarks: Disgusting is how the NHL, Gary Bettman and the Dallas Stars have acted in response to some juvenile delinquents sophomoric remarks regarding ex-girlfriends. As if the NHL wasnt the laughing stock of the "Top 4" sports leagues before this joke. Everyone better watch out what they say about anything because this is a precedent that says if you say something that has absolutely nothing to do with work the league has the right to suspend you and your team has the right to null and void your contract if they dont like what you said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonnewsie. Show Bostonnewsie's posts

Avery, is a loser, but that being said, Dallas is just using this to get out of his contract and He is in "counseling"-not because he thinks he has a problem, but rather, just so he can file a lawsuit to GET his full contract payment. He will get it, Dallas will pay part and He'll be playing for another team befor the March deadline. I'm sure the mass of NFL players who are involved in "shooting incidents" regularly are laughing at the NHL, but I think most of Hockey is embarassed by the antics of Sean Avery!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

For those who have trouble understanding words of more than one syllable, I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

Sean Avery did not get suspended ONLY FOR saying some dirty words.

He has thrown COUNTLESS cheap shots on the ice.

He has used racial insults.

He rode a rookie teammate so hard when he was with the Kings that he sparked fistfights in his OWN LOCKER ROOM.

He was warned several times by the NHL to clean up his act. Last spring, he was told by the commissioner's office that ONE MORE INCIDENT would see him suspended.

He deliberately CALLED OVER cameras to make his "sloppy seconds" comment in Calgary.

And most damning of all, his own teammates in Dallas told him to get lost when he tried to apologize.

Again, he was not condemned or responded to because of "sophomoric remarks." This has happened to him because of a years-long pattern of behavior that has finally made everyone in the NHL say "enough already!"

(It's pretty revealing that a reporter talking to a former member of the Kings heard laughter in the background during a phone interview asking if the NHLPA would support Avery.)

Do you get the picture? The man is a dirty, foul-mouthed, publicity-seeking, cheap-shotting SOB that nobody in the NHL can stand. He's an embarrassment to the league, and he has nobody to blame but himself for the situtation he's in. Not the Stars, not Bettman, not the NHL. HIMSELF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

//You just described a lot more NHL players than Avery.//

Who?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

Not to take away from anything you wrote because I'm sure some of it is partially true, but Dallas JUST signed him to FOUR years knowing about his character, and fired him over stupid remarks he made like it was a big surprise.

I don't like Avery; he's a punk. But, how he is being handled by the NHL and Dallas is wrong. Avery's behavior hurts himself mostly, his teammates and the NHL in terms of perception. Patrice Bergeron gets creamed and the truck that hit him got TWO games. What's the perception of the NHL in that case? Two games is a slap on the wrist. Do you want to stop the problem of players getting hurt?

The NHL is more concerned with themselves than they are the individual players. Did Bettman say anything about the Bergeron incident? Or, the Flyers who had a few players suspended last season for one thing or another? Nope. He's worried about "sloppy seconds" and a punk making him look bad who just needs to grow up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

First off the Stars haven't completely voided the contract, Avery, as of right now is still getting paid. Furthermore this is ridiculous, what he said is absolutely hilarious. If his ex wants to sue, im sure she can. I think Randy Jones should have been suspended for 15 games, Scott Hartnell suspended for minimum of 50, and Avery should get a deal with comedy central.

Sections
Shortcuts