Big trade coming? But who goes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Big trade coming? But who goes?

Derrick,
    A few points, the cap is going to go up about 2 mill this season..  Seidenberg's raise add's nothing, we started the season last year with morris at 3.3, also, we save money on Rask ext since the bonus money is gone (he was like a 3.2m or something cap hit last season)  We should be able to resign wheeler for less then his current cap hit (also bonus heavy) which was 2.35m.  The bruins are in roughly the exact same shape they were in last season, and keep in mind your saying to add 1-2 rookie cap hits with out clearing space for them to play.  We're not in a great spot, but were not in chicago's shoes right now...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes?:
    In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : I don't want to see the Bruins make it pretty far.  I want to see them win the Cup. 2010:  Keith or Pronger 2009:  Gonchar 2008:  Lidstrom 2007:  Niedermayer 2006:  Carolina didn't really have one 2004:  Kubina If the B's trade Chara and don't get a #1 defenseman in return, you'll see Seidenberg and Wideman playing the most minutes.  Does that sound like a good idea?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I wouldn't put Kubina in the group of top tier D-men, and his cap hit is 2.5m less then chara's  nor gonchar (also a $5m cap hit) at this point in his career.. Keith cap hit of $5.5m..  Also with philly I would argue the fall off and Defensive depth is alot bigger then the bruins.. Can't argue Det or Ana  solid cores with great support..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Derrick, A few points, the cap is going to go up about 2 mill this season..  Seidenberg's raise add's nothing, we started the season last year with morris at 3.3, also, we save money on Rask ext since the bonus money is gone (he was like a 3.2m or something cap hit last season)  We should be able to resign wheeler for less then his current cap hit (also bonus heavy) which was 2.35m.  The bruins are in roughly the exact same shape they were in last season, and keep in mind your saying to add 1-2 rookie cap hits with out clearing space for them to play.  We're not in a great spot, but were not in chicago's shoes right now...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Nice way of putting it.  I am looking at Wheeler and Rask's contracts from last year at 850,000 b/c of the cushion which will 99.9% chance be there again.  So their new deals with also be increases.  Looking at the numbers closer after I posted that it may be possible to squeeze under the cap but there will be zero wiggle room which I hope doesn't happen. 

To fit under the cap, they need Wheeler and Boychuck or Stuart to take up just under 4 million.  For my numbers I am using Hamill and Marchand's 820K and 850K hits as 4th liners since we don't have anyone else signed.  That leaves no room to even have a 13th forward or 7th dman up with the team at any point which I suppose they can work around but would be a huge hassle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Sorry that is also assuming Recchi signing for 1 million and Hall/Seguin's 850K hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : I wouldn't put Kubina in the group of top tier D-men, and his cap hit is 2.5m less then chara's  nor gonchar (also a $5m cap hit) at this point in his career.. Keith cap hit of $5.5m..  Also with philly I would argue the fall off and Defensive depth is alot bigger then the bruins.. Can't argue Det or Ana  solid cores with great support..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Six years ago, when Tampa won the Cup, Kubina was certainly a #1 defenseman.  Two years ago, when Pittsburgh won the Cup, Gonchar was certainly a #1 defenseman. 

I think we have a different definition of "#1 defenseman".  To me, it's the guy who plays the most minutes and has the biggest impact, a top tier defenseman who can control a game and shutdown the opposition.  He can play in all situations. 

If you wish to acquire a player like that, you are surely going to have a large salary to pay.  $5M+ is a lot of money.

Take a closer look at Duncan Keith's contract.  He's making $24M over the next three years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

91-17-hall-seguin   luc opens space for savy to find hall!     46-73-26  healthy and together again this line will do damage -especially not having to play against top d pairing and checking lines   37-28-16 good chemistry last yr  expect more of same this year - same as krejci line wont be swallowed up by top d pairs and checking units.....    60-22-? sob thorts banging bodies rookie suprise fill in last spot just need smart play on 4th line...       33-44 as good 1-2 in nhl  6-55 very solid 3-4   45-21 vetrean 5-6   hunwick#7 not bad    goal rask-thomas  fully expect tt to have a bounce back season and push rask for the number 1 job thus making rask even better     if this team stays healthy they can go a long way

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Not A shot, Gonchar is an offensive guy, never been solid defensively, and kubina has never been in the norris discussion to my knowledge, I wasnt saying the replacement wasn't going to cost, but 7.5m is alot more then 5m..

Like I said a chara trade would hurt the team, but there are teams getting it done with out.. and putting chara in a trade would allow you to move some other cap weight around, I can see a team taking chara/ryder and parting with a solid (not norris) candidate and well as a scoring winger, chicago doesnt have the space, but a return of say barker/sharp or something would not be out of line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Derrick, A few points, the cap is going to go up about 2 mill this season..  Seidenberg's raise add's nothing, we started the season last year with morris at 3.3, also, we save money on Rask ext since the bonus money is gone (he was like a 3.2m or something cap hit last season)  We should be able to resign wheeler for less then his current cap hit (also bonus heavy) which was 2.35m.  The bruins are in roughly the exact same shape they were in last season, and keep in mind your saying to add 1-2 rookie cap hits with out clearing space for them to play.  We're not in a great spot, but were not in chicago's shoes right now...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Wait, you want him back?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

To fit under the cap, they need Wheeler and Boychuck or Stuart to take up just under 4 million.  For my numbers I am using Hamill and Marchand's 820K and 850K hits as 4th liners since we don't have anyone else signed.  That leaves no room to even have a 13th forward or 7th dman up with the team at any point which I suppose they can work around but would be a huge hassle.
    Posted by derrickmorin

...To fit under the cap, they need Stuart to take up just under 4 million*

Wheels will be in the AHL next year (or logging minutes on a terrible team) and Boychuck will be elsewhere (Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick, McQuade)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If its me, I put Sobotka in Wheeler's role and resign Recchi.  Go w this:

Lucic, Savard, Hall/Seguin
    Sturm, Bergeron, Recchi
    Ryder, Krejci, Sobotka
    Thornton, whoever, Marchand

On the defense:

Chara, Seidenberg
    Ference, Wideman
    Stuart, Hunwick/Mcquade

W / Tuuka in net....

I still dont see why a lot of posters want a major shake-up....Looks like a top 6 six team to me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Goals?  Here are my predictions
    Hall or Seguin: 24
    Savard: 16
    Lucic: 18
    Sturm: 23
    Bergeron: 13
    Rechhi: 18
    Ryder: 17
    Krejci: 26
    Sobotka: 12 (w a ton of assists, helps Krejci get to 26)
    Fourth line: 12

Seidenberg: 11, Wideman: 11, Chara: 9
    W/ tuuka and our d, i think we're fine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes?:Wait, you want him back?PostedbyDrewski5

Weeker should not be back dangle him with Hunwick and the Bs #1.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Who cares if we can pay for the same roster with one or two rookies.  Moves need to be made.  Something more than injuries was wrong with the make-up of this team last year, and it was more than Julien.  Recchi's comments about not everyone pulling their weight suggests there's some chemistry problems. 

Chiarelli's comments about making sure the peaks and valleys aren't as extreme (were there extreme peaks?) suggests he knows the makeup isn't right.  I don't expect to see Sobotka.  I don't expect to see Wheeler.  I don't expect to see Hunwick, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide Stuart can't play up to his higher level consistently (that is, consistent passing to go with physical D) and use him as a higher value bargaining chip.  If they don't use #15 to move up, I could see them using it to get a player from a team in need of youth, or to move Ryder for a younger, higher energy winger.  One year of Ryder, if you have the cap room, isn't a big risk for the potential reward.  And I do expect them to quietly shop Bergeron.  They won't give him away for cap room, but he's the bait that could prompt negotiation on a larger deal.

If the lineup for game 1 in Europe is basically the lineup at the end of last year with Satan gone and Hall/Seguin in, it will be because there were no better options out there.  And if that's the case, Chiarelli will be fired by Christmas for not being able to figure out what ails this team.  Julien'll be gone by November 15th.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : ...To fit under the cap, they need Stuart to take up just under 4 million* Wheels will be in the AHL next year (or logging minutes on a terrible team) and Boychuck will be elsewhere (Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick, McQuade)
    Posted by Drewski5

Did you really just grab a few words without reading the entire sentence and respond to that??  I said they have 4 million to sign Wheeler, Boychuck OR Stuart, and actually another forward to make a full squad.  That would be pretty difficult to do.   I never said they would need 4 million to sign Stuart???

Wheeler will be in the AHL??? You are joking right?  He may not be a Bruin though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Goals?  Here are my predictions Hall or Seguin: 24 Savard: 16 Lucic: 18 Sturm: 23 Bergeron: 13 Rechhi: 18 Ryder: 17 Krejci: 26 Sobotka: 12 (w a ton of assists, helps Krejci get to 26) Fourth line: 12 Seidenberg: 11, Wideman: 11, Chara: 9 W/ tuuka and our d, i think we're fine
    Posted by Drewski5

Sobotka can't play the wing...he is terrible at wing...not to mention...he can't score...a guy that went 63 games or something like that without a goal will not get 12 goals..and will not be a winger with Krejci..if Sobotka is on the team he is a 4th liner.  Nothing more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

You're trying a little too hard to be snarky and confrontational — in other words, cute. First, I didn't say *anything* about Kovalchuk in my post. And second, it's possible to trade players, prospects and picks to make a team stronger. If it weren't, no trades at all would be made.

why were you disappointed at the deadline felix? you thought we should have blown a good roster player, a good prospect, and a 1st rounder + for kovalchuk.....glad your not in charge
    Posted by pbergeron37

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77ray77. Show 77ray77's posts

hello to all first time poster , very long time bruins fan, i think trading any of those three guys would be a huge mistake , not just for the talent lost , but also the team chemistry, especially bergy or big z , also i cant count the number of times ive heard nhl forwards saying that chara is by far the hardest d-man in the league to play against, you cannot replace that on a team

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : Did you really just grab a few words without reading the entire sentence and respond to that??  I said they have 4 million to sign Wheeler, Boychuck OR Stuart, and actually another forward to make a full squad.  That would be pretty difficult to do.   I never said they would need 4 million to sign Stuart??? Wheeler will be in the AHL??? You are joking right?  He may not be a Bruin though.
    Posted by derrickmorin

I was making a joke.  Sorry if it came off pompous. 

I think that left on the list is Recchi and Stuart.  I dont see us signing Boychuck (we have too much depth at D right now and not enough cap room to meet his asking price, even though id love to bring him back)

Re: Wheeker (to steal a name from an above poster): dead serious.  Remember this was a HIGH draft pick, who was bought out at a VERY young age by a BAD team.  Seriously, how bad do you have to be for that to happen.  The team said, "yeah, we have a lot invested in you , dont really have anyone to replace you, and you're cheap....and we still want you gone".....

Then he gets here and has done nothing but make the GM who cut him (the blues gm?) look smart.

If you cant make a bad team, you belong in the ahl.  Wheels couldnt make the blues.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : I was making a joke.  Sorry if it came off pompous.  I think that left on the list is Recchi and Stuart.  I dont see us signing Boychuck (we have too much depth at D right now and not enough cap room to meet his asking price, even though id love to bring him back) Re: Wheeker (to steal a name from an above poster): dead serious.  Remember this was a HIGH draft pick, who was bought out at a VERY young age by a BAD team.  Seriously, how bad do you have to be for that to happen.  The team said, "yeah, we have a lot invested in you , dont really have anyone to replace you, and you're cheap....and we still want you gone"..... Then he gets here and has done nothing but make the GM who cut him (the blues gm?) look smart. If you cant make a bad team, you belong in the ahl.  Wheels couldnt make the blues.
    Posted by Drewski5

Who bought out Wheeler?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Who cares if we can pay for the same roster with one or two rookies.  Moves need to be made.  Something more than injuries was wrong with the make-up of this team last year, and it was more than Julien.  Recchi's comments about not everyone pulling their weight suggests there's some chemistry problems.  Chiarelli's comments about making sure the peaks and valleys aren't as extreme (were there extreme peaks?) suggests he knows the makeup isn't right.  I don't expect to see Sobotka.  I don't expect to see Wheeler.  I don't expect to see Hunwick, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide Stuart can't play up to his higher level consistently (that is, consistent passing to go with physical D) and use him as a higher value bargaining chip.  If they don't use #15 to move up, I could see them using it to get a player from a team in need of youth, or to move Ryder for a younger, higher energy winger.  One year of Ryder, if you have the cap room, isn't a big risk for the potential reward.  And I do expect them to quietly shop Bergeron.  They won't give him away for cap room, but he's the bait that could prompt negotiation on a larger deal. If the lineup for game 1 in Europe is basically the lineup at the end of last year with Satan gone and Hall/Seguin in, it will be because there were no better options out there.  And if that's the case, Chiarelli will be fired by Christmas for not being able to figure out what ails this team.  Julien'll be gone by November 15th.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I like you.  You're an intelligent poster. But I disagree with this.  In my opinion , there were too many injuries to deduce if something besides the injuries was wrong.

I mean the injuries just would not stop coming. 

We never got a chance to see a powerplay with Seidenberg, Savard and Krejci.  Lucic didnt hit a groove until Savard was done.  And I say done because the savard we saw (when he returned) was not savard.

Im not saying that we dont need a move, im saying that there were so many moving variables last year that noone was ever able to find a groove.  Its hard to determine if this team was bad or if it was the injuries.

Just because the team will be the same players , doesnt mean it will be the same team.   Seidenberg, in my opinion, was already huge acquisition #1.  Savard returning healthy will be huge acquisition #2.  Lucic returning to Lucic form will be huge acquisition #3 (he NEVER got going).  Tuuka will play a whole year and be even better.  Hall/Seguin will be huge acquisition #4.    I honestly think that a Chara, Seidenberg, Savard, Krejci, hot winger of the moment line is a pretty damn good PP1.  Something we didnt have last year.  Wideman WILL be better....A team can look entirely different from year to year, even with primarily the same roster.  A few tweaks ca be ALL the difference.  It literally happens all the time.

But based on your high hockey accumen and your "I dont expect to see Sobtoka back next year" comment, I guess I've been overrating him?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : Who bought out Wheeler?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

released via RFA, sorry.

Dont be that guy who resonds to a minor part of a post, when what you are responding to is not the main point.  The point is wheeler was unwanted by the team that drafted him even though he was cheap, was a high draft pick, and they were bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Wheeler was drafted 5th overall (but ranked 19th ish) by the COYOTES.  He didn't come to terms with them becoming a UFA.  The COYOTES was furious about it.  He has never even played in the AHL.  He went the college route. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Wheeler was unwilling to play in Phoenix under Gretzky, and waited out things till he was a UFA.. That should be an immediate flag for problems, and will immediately cause questions about the guys heart, willingness to play, or to give his all etc. I mean Lindros, JD drew are the most prominent players I can think of to do the same

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : released via RFA, sorry. Dont be that guy who resonds to a minor part of a post, when what you are responding to is not the main point.  The point is wheeler was unwanted by the team that drafted him even though he was cheap, was a high draft pick, and they were bad.
    Posted by Drewski5

You just don't know what you're talking about.  Wheeler refused to sign with Phoenix and became a UFA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Big trade coming? But who goes? : You just don't know what you're talking about.  Wheeler refused to sign with Phoenix and became a UFA.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

guess not.  as rollerhocky pts out, thats still a red flag though.

Do you consider wheeler a must keep?