Blake Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notex. Show Notex's posts

Blake Wheeler

what is everyones opinion on him and his progression...

I was at the game and he showed flashes of brilliance...I think he will be a good NHL player..

Kid has a ton of size / speed / stick work...

What is going wrong though??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Blake Wheeler

Total 180 from last year he doesn't battle and on of TO's goals was Wheeler not backchecking. Like Versteeg Blake has to have a consistant playmaker for him to do real well. Krejci is another on my $he ot list they've both just disapeared.

Even when they through Wheeler on Savard's line he didn't respond. Very disapointed in Wheeler's, Hunwick's, Wideman's, Bitz's, Krejci's and Sobotka's progress. No more excuses for Krejci if his hip is still bothering him he needs to sit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Confidence.  All year I see him passing instead of shooting.  It's been said over and over again, shoot on net and things will happen,  Crosby OT winner.
    His grit has also been questioned.  Not sure he has that in him though but he better start excelling on putting the puck on net otherwise he'll just be another average 3rd liner that's big and skates well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sandog, In the montreal game I thought krejci was one of the few players that played well, some nice moves creative with the puck, I think he is getting frustrated with the play of his wingers.. I remember an interview shortly before the break where (to paraphrase) he was saying he thought he played well and moved the puck well and created opportunities and what more could he do.. Ryder had hit like 2 post that game, and wheeler missed the net a couple times etc..

I saw more of the same against montreal.. Our talent is in our centers, time for those guys to start shooting more though..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Blake Wheeler:
    Krejci is another on my $he ot list they've both just disapeared. Posted by SanDogBrewin

Although I agree with you 100% he's was good in the Olympics for the Czechs. At least the games I watched.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notex. Show Notex's posts

some of these 1 on 1 bursts I see from him make me think he is a rising star.

Followed by a lazy play and (exactly what you said) turns over the puck...

VERY frustrated with both him and Krejci

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

In Response to Re: Blake Wheeler : Although I agree with you 100% he's was good in the Olympics for the Czechs. At least the games I watched.
    Posted by BsLegion

This worries me because I think that Krejci might be dogging it a bit for us. I think that the hip was the reason for his poor play earlier in the season but now he has no excuses. He looked awesome in the Olympics so if he doesn't put up now I can only assume that his 'compete level' may be in question.

Hoping Im wrong, Ive always thought that Krejci brings it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sophomore slump?  Shooting is part of it, but he's a hamster head: you can probably hear the little rodent running on its wheel as he overthinks the game.  Even when he shoots, it's too late - the goalie's ready,the D are in position to block shots etc.  He needs (wait for it, this is going to be brilliant!) to take the puck to the net.  Less thinking, more letting his speed and size ride.  He'll have to take some lumps that way - so we'd find out whether he has enough determination to be an impact player or not.

He's gotten a bit of a pass this year but he's been as invisible as Ryder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

I see a lot of people on this site wanting to get rid of him I don't get it. My personal opinion (only an opinion) is he's going to be a 30-50 goal scorer in this league, and I truly believe he is going thru a sophomore jink/slump this season. It seems like most young players go thru this and then they have a breakout season in their third or fourth years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

He needs (wait for it, this is going to be brilliant!) to take the puck to the net.  Less thinking, more letting his speed and size ride.  Posted by Bookboy007

What sums up pretty much what you're saying .If you recall last season he score in St Louis against the Blues.  No thinking, went to the net and let his instinct do the rest.  That's his forte !  Good point BookBoy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Sophmore slump on a team playing horrible....most Rookies who score 20+ feel presure from the fans to play better in year two...I think he has put alot more presure on himself (trying to bulk up after not playing in the playoffs) and it hasn't worked out.  Not to mention the lack of strong vets on the team showing how to push past bad stretches.  The vets for the B's in my opinion have been horrible examples for the young guys (Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I really believe he will be a solid 30+ goal scorer in years 4, 5 and on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Every time the offense breaks into the opposing team's defensive zone, Wheeler is offsides.  Anyone else notice this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Every time the offense breaks into the opposing team's defensive zone, Wheeler is offsides.  Anyone else notice this?
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Yeah, now that you mention it. To me he is at full speed and the others are not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

When will you guys stop making excuses for this guy??? Last year he "hit the rookie wall" - This year it's a "sophmore slump".
     I actually saw him panic last night and just throw the puck into an empty space, because he was about to have to get physical to maintain control. He is way too SOFT, that can't be taught, and you'll never find it in a gym. You get on Kessel for playing the same way, but this guy who is 6'5" gets a pass? You're all in denial over this guy, he's a big puss - and always will be one. We've got too many like him already and that's going to have to change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Posted by TimThomas-god

Good point I notice it allot and at crucial times as well really suprised at both.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

When will you guys stop making excuses for this guy??? Last year he "hit the rookie wall" - This year it's a "sophmore slump".  I actually saw him panic last night and just throw the puck into an empty space, because he was about to have to get physical to maintain control. He is way too SOFT, that can't be taught, and you'll never find it in a gym. You get on Kessel for playing the same way, but this guy who is 6'5" gets a pass? You're all in denial over this guy, he's a big puss - and always will be one. We've got too many like him already and that's going to have to change.
    Posted by JWensink

I have stuck up for Wheeler all year and have seen flashes of the player I hope he can become.The last couple games though have been awful.He threw not 1,not 2,but 3 passes away for breakaways.Turnovers are 1 thing but when they lead to a breakaway it is unacceptable.If he didn't learn after the empty net cough up against Montreal I certainly expected that he would after feeding kessel for a breakaway.But no,he did it again later in the game to some Leaf or another(I can't remember who it was as I was so livid,I couldn't see straight).I can actually accept when a player gets outmuscled/outraced for a puck.All of these opponents are pros and you can't win every battle.But these mental errors are unacceptable.I like this kids skills but maybe a little time in the press box would help him get his head straight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I always wonder about the wuss factor with guys who take the route to the NHL Wheeler took - NCAA, not juniors (fighting? what fighting?), straight to the NHL, no AHL time at all.  You see these guys with a lot of talent and skill provided they're playing in an environment where they aren't being physically challenged.  They aren't always soft, but you just don't know how well they'll hold up once someone decides to make their lives miserable on the ice.  First they lose energy, then they stop producing on skill, then the mental errors kick in because frankly, they aren't equipped to deal with the punishment of playing against men.

There's a trivia question I'd like to know the answer to: toughest player to come out of NCAA hockey?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I always wonder about the wuss factor with guys who take the route to the NHL Wheeler took - NCAA, not juniors (fighting? what fighting?), straight to the NHL, no AHL time at all.  You see these guys with a lot of talent and skill provided they're playing in an environment where they aren't being physically challenged.  They aren't always soft, but you just don't know how well they'll hold up once someone decides to make their lives miserable on the ice.  First they lose energy, then they stop producing on skill, then the mental errors kick in because frankly, they aren't equipped to deal with the punishment of playing against men. There's a trivia question I'd like to know the answer to: toughest player to come out of NCAA hockey?
    Posted by Bookboy007

Jay Miller

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There's a trivia question I'd like to know the answer to: toughest player to come out of NCAA hockey?Posted by Bookboy007

Chris Nilan Northeastern

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Craig MacTavish :  ULowell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I don't think Wheels will ever develop into a sniper, he has no track record.  Consider this, in 127 games at U of MN he only scored 42 goals.  His career high was in 2006-07 when he scored 18 goals in 44 games.  Joe Colborne has 19 goals in 32 games so far this season.  Wheels is 23 now, I am not confident that he will ever develop as a finisher, maybe more like a PJ Axelsson than a Kessel. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

All I can say re: my trivia question is "what a waste of an education!"

Nilan and Miller.  Can I say they're exceptions that prove the rule?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I am not cray about Wheeler.  He has the size the speed and skills to do well in this league but does not seem to wanna use his size enough.  And in certain games his offensive creativity is non existent. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Thought I'd respond.  Been watching hockey since 1966 (whoop de do ....right?).  Anyway, throughout my experience the tall gangly larger size guys are usually one dimensional.  If they can score, they are typically a valiable commodity.  Gary Dornhofer, Ken Hodge, Bossy, etc.  Problem is that are generally fast skaters but not quick.....long strides.  The prototype winger is the shorter stockier quick footed guy....Ivan Cournoyer, Bobby Rousseau, buzzing around the ice like tasmainian devils. 

When the tall guys don't score, like Wheeler right now, they appear to add no appreciable value to the team.  That's where the coaching evaluation comes in.....maybe he's doing everything else right.....backchecking staying in his lane, etc. Problem is it looks like he's doing nothing to the casual fan. 

I've never been a fan of the taller lankier wingers.  There is a guy at BC now, I believe he's a JR...Hayes....scores a few goals, not a bad player ...tall.  Fits this mold.....I don't think he'll be effective at the next level.....not quick enough. 

Signed ....Not a fan of the tall wingers...