Bobby Freak In Ryan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan

I don't know how good Ryan is now.  Absurdly seems absurd.  But it is a conversation that goes from "star player" to "freak" and not "third line grinder in a good situation" to "he'd get some goals if you played him with Savard."

To me, the big unknown with Ryan is what will happen in his 3rd year (counting the year he started in Iowa before being called up for good - 64 games that year).  He's 23 now, so he has pretty much his full size and strength.  His first year he scored .89 point/game, and that dropped to .79 last year - but he did play in that little mid-season tournament thing and played pretty well.  He plays on a line with two other Olympians, so you'd have to factor in how much that improves his numbers.  In fact, you might make a connection between his drop in per-game scoring and Getzlaf missing almost 20 games.  In my head, this is the year with him.  This is they year where we should find out if he's a slightly better Nathan Horton (look at seasons two and three for Horton vs. 1 and 2 for Ryan - given that Horton went pro immediately) or a guy who would have gone first in the absence of Crosby or Ovechkin.

NAS - Okay gotta ask because this one doesn't seem like you're being sarcastic - you think Ryan's "that good" but you wouldn't deal Lucic, a prospect, and a pick?  Prospect and a pick, depending on the prospect, is not much of a vote of confidence.  Lucic plus one or the other for Ryan gives a ton of credit to Lucic.  Am I missing something?  Or do you think that's about right in terms of how much Lucic impacts the game.  I buy that - I'm on record as thinking Lucic has that big game mentality and better skills than most give him credit for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan:
    NAS - Okay gotta ask because this one doesn't seem like you're being sarcastic - you think Ryan's "that good" but you wouldn't deal Lucic, a prospect, and a pick?  Prospect and a pick, depending on the prospect, is not much of a vote of confidence.  Lucic plus one or the other for Ryan gives a ton of credit to Lucic.  Am I missing something?  Or do you think that's about right in terms of how much Lucic impacts the game.  I buy that - I'm on record as thinking Lucic has that big game mentality and better skills than most give him credit for.
    Posted by Bookboy007

In order for Anaheim to justify the deal, the pick would have to be a high one and the prospect would have to be Colborne, Knight or Caron.  I believe Lucic to be an up and coming 25 goal scorer at least.  If Ryan becomes a premier power forward, he might get 40.  Adding those 15 goals but subtracting one of those prospects and a high draft pick seems to be too much to me. 

The highest inflation of trade value comes at the trade deadline, when many teams are driving up the value of the stars on the block.  This deal would be a bigger boon for Anaheim than Atlanta got for Kovalchuk.  I see Ryan as a consistent 30+ goal scorer, but he's no Kovalchuk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK OK, I am back to reality and agree that Bobby Ryan is a very good player who thrives with other very good players. Lucic,IMO, is also a very good player who is still getting better and clears space as well as Byfuglien[sp.?] and is becoming a quick strike goal scorer. With Recchi's tutelage he will only get better. Lucic plays a different game than Ryan, which is why CHIA went after Horton. Would they have traded Ryan for Weidman ??? We have also added Seguin, and have Colborne, Sauve, Caron , all different type players, in the wings. As NAS stated, why not trade for Crosby?? Reality does level the playing field when you need to put forth a "TEAM" with various skills and capabilities

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

OK OK, I am back to reality and agree that Bobby Ryan is a very good player who thrives with other very good players. Lucic,IMO, is also a very good player who is still getting better and clears space as well as Byfuglien[sp.?] and is becoming a quick strike goal scorer. With Recchi's tutelage he will only get better. Lucic plays a different game than Ryan, which is why CHIA went after Horton. Would they have traded Ryan for Weidman ??? We have also added Seguin, and have Colborne, Sauve, Caron , all different type players, in the wings. As NAS stated, why not trade for Crosby?? Reality does level the playing field when you need to put forth a "TEAM" with various skills and capabilities
    Posted by Bogie6

I disagree with that statement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Which statement? You did suggest "why not Crosby" in a joking manner

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]OK OK, I am back to reality and agree that Bobby Ryan is a very good player who thrives with other very good players.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

That one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Gee NAs, Is it the " back to reality portion?? or that Ryan is a very good player who thrives with other players??  I originally questioned why this blog was so enamored with Ryan, then all these posts indicated that I was way off base, sooo , since so many seem to imply that Bobby Ryan is the next coming, I bow to those comments, but, Would still not trade Lucic from this team that Chiarelli is forming for 2010/2011. I never thought I would still be alive in 2010, let alone watching, via satellite, a very good Bruins team. I can no longer do cross-overs and may not be able to get up with out help from the side boards, so I use these austere perspectives to augment my aging thoughts and commentaries. Ain't we having fun? By the way, I can only make it thru 9 holes these days, but still hit the low 40s regularly. Must be my hickory shafts rather than the newer composites.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Agreed NAS...but since we're talking about things that aren't going to happen...why not shoot for the moon!!! :-)
    In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : Might as well target Crosby.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bobby Ryan is a very good player who thrives with other very good players. Posted by Bogie6

That would be Kris Versteeg not Bobby Ryan and Anaheim will not let him go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS - I don't know if Lucic + a high first + any Bruin prospect other than Seguin > Bergfors, Oduya, a first, and Cormier.  But that's irrelevant.  If you believe Lucic is a 25 goal player and Ryan a 40 goal player, then yes, a first and a top prospect is a lot to pay for a 15 goal improvement on one of your top two lines.

Cut Bogie some slack - and not for his age.  I think people are reading something into "very good player who thrives with other very good players" that isn't really there.  The inference seems to be that Bogie thinks Ryan looks better than he is because he plays with Getzlaf and Perry.  Others have said that; I'm sure I've suggested at one point or another that it's hard to judge Ryan's numbers given his linemates.  Calling him very good and equal to his linemates who are also very good, and saying that he thrives when playing with talent (not every player does) is hardly a put-down.  I wouldn't say Versteeg is a very good player who thrives with other very good players.  Versteeg, to me, looks like a better than average  player who can raise his game when he plays with very good players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : The Bruins have their own version of Ryan - Seguin. I'm not someone who advocates for "grit" over skill, but the Bruins do need someone like Lucic, who, when healthy, strikes fear into the opposition. IMHO he's the total package, and I think some people tend to forget how young he is - he just turned 22, for heaven's sake. As for Ryan, his stud status amuses the hell out of me; it wasn't too long ago that he was proclaimed a "bust" in some circles because he was drafted right after Sidney Crosby and didn't make an immediate impact. 
    Posted by duinne

I can't imagine anyone who watched him play suggesting that he was a bust.  I can only believe this would come from a cesspool like HFboards or from a rival GM trying to ruffle Burke's feathers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : I can't imagine anyone who watched him play suggesting that he was a bust.  I can only believe this would come from a cesspool like HFboards or from a rival GM trying to ruffle Burke's feathers.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You're kidding. Are you telling me the media and fans would never prematurely call a player in any sport a "bust"? Heck, we had media/fans in Boston calling Dustin Pedroia a bust after two months in the bigs!

Happens all the time. Everyone loves to rush to judgement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : You're kidding. Are you telling me the media and fans would never prematurely call a player in any sport a "bust"? Heck, we had media/fans in Boston calling Dustin Pedroia a bust after two months in the bigs! Happens all the time. Everyone loves to rush to judgement.
    Posted by duinne

I said nothing of the sort.  I said I can't imagine anyone who saw him play labeling him a bust.  Your entire paragraph is made up in your head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : I said nothing of the sort.  I said I can't imagine anyone who saw him play labeling him a bust.  Your entire paragraph is made up in your head.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm sorry you can't imagine it, but these sorts of premature pronouncements are not unusual, whether it's Ryan or anyone else. There was grumbling about Ryan being a "bust" due to his lofty draft status and the residual effect of being chosen right behind Crosby. It's certainly not something I made up, in my head or otherwise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I wouldn't say Versteeg is a very good player who thrives with other very good players.  Versteeg, to me, looks like a better than average  player who can raise his game when he plays with very good players."

I would and we'll find out this year when Kris plays on below average team. Raising your game when you don't have any help ,David Krejci performance in the 2010 playoffs great example with lumps like Ryder and Wheeler around you, will be much harder for Kris. Versteeg Good player yes, Great player ? we shall see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Anaheim doesn't want to do a 3 yrear deal with Ryan. They don't want Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan up for contracts in the same season. Ryan wants the shorter term because he believes he'll be able to get more once he's eligible for arbitration. Add to it the Getzlaf and Perry deals ending and that's a huge bargaining chip for Ryan right now. If Anaheim wants to extend him longer than 3 years they'll have to pony up 6.5-7M a season to compensate for giving up arbitration years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS - I don't know if Lucic + a high first + any Bruin prospect other than Seguin /> Bergfors, Oduya, a first, and Cormier.  But that's irrelevant.  If you believe Lucic is a 25 goal player and Ryan a 40 goal player, then yes, a first and a top prospect is a lot to pay for a 15 goal improvement on one of your top two lines. Cut Bogie some slack - and not for his age.  I think people are reading something into "very good player who thrives with other very good players" that isn't really there.  The inference seems to be that Bogie thinks Ryan looks better than he is because he plays with Getzlaf and Perry.  Others have said that; I'm sure I've suggested at one point or another that it's hard to judge Ryan's numbers given his linemates.  Calling him very good and equal to his linemates who are also very good, and saying that he thrives when playing with talent (not every player does) is hardly a put-down.  I wouldn't say Versteeg is a very good player who thrives with other very good players.  Versteeg, to me, looks like a better than average  player who can raise his game when he plays with very good players.
    Posted by Bookboy007

The difference is people looking at stats instead of watchin a player play.

I cut Bogie all the slack in the world!  I think he's great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Anaheim doesn't want to do a 3 yrear deal with Ryan. They don't want Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan up for contracts in the same season. Ryan wants the shorter term because he believes he'll be able to get more once he's eligible for arbitration. Add to it the Getzlaf and Perry deals ending and that's a huge bargaining chip for Ryan right now. If Anaheim wants to extend him longer than 3 years they'll have to pony up 6.5-7M a season to compensate for giving up arbitration years.
    Posted by BruWingFan

My guess, and let the record show that this is 100% a guess:

In order to be a UFA, a player must be 27 with four years of experience or have seven years experience.  Ryan is 23.  He'll need a four year deal to become unrestricted.  If they're pushing for five years, it only makes sense for him to ask for three.  Compromise makes a four year contract, and then he gets a huge deal as a UFA.

ONCE AGAIN I MUST STATE:  I have nothing to back this up.  I didn't read it anywhere.  I didn't hear it anywhere.  I'm just applying logic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Wheeler and some picks.  Yeah, right.  If the B's are going to trade for Ryan, they're going to have to send Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic or Seguin and some picks. If they try to go the offer sheet route, Anaheim will simply match the deal.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

good points!!!! Agreed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK, it's Sunday morning and we still have this thing running, and have added Versteeg who we all know was one of Chiarelli's poorer moves, even though Bochenski was touted as a great goal scorer, they forgot to say that he had to skate too. Right now it appears that the right side is well stocked even with Sean Thornton who is not necessarily there for his hockey skills, but, more for his team contributions both past and maybe future. Do not want anyone messing with Seguin in his first year. Center is solid and the left side with Wheels[ did he sign yet?] Lucic/Paille/ Ryder until Sturm or his own game comes forth. The D appears to be set but there may be some moves with Ference or Stuart with Chiarelli and Neely thinking younger, faster, like Timmonen has shown.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : When Bobby Ryan started in Portland, he wasn't ready for the NHL.  The theory of him being buried there is false.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It started when he was in OHL in being buried, he played 2 more years of junior for no point, he should have been moved to Portland right away instead of being buried. He played playoffs for Port in 06 and 8 games in 07 then most of 08 and playoffs with 23 games in Ana.  What he learned there he would have learned more in Portland playing against men that were better. When he did move his numbers were still strong in port  and he was a quick jump to NHL then.

To me, you pick a first rounder he is NHL ready, he is of the elite and has worked for his shot and deserves it.  If you don't want this kid that you kept your pick for then you should have traded the pick, why hoard it if he is a potential bust.  If you deem it a weak draft then trade the first rounder, but if you draft him use him.

It was said, all would want him if he had not been with Crosby and that he would have been a #1 in most years. I believed this then and now, he did not need 2 more years in OHL. Once again an NHL saved 2 years of RFA and salary on a player for an extra 2 years. The team saves long term and short term money on getting a better player, yes he has heightened his skills and should be getting better.

He is a player, I just hope he doesn't get Kesselitis and want more than he has earned.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Reportedly it's not the dollars that's holding up this deal, it's the years. The Ducks want to lock him up long-term.

Anyway, the Ducks would probably welcome an offer sheet as it would break the stalemate. Either way, they aren't going to let this guy go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : It started when he was in OHL in being buried, he played 2 more years of junior for no point, he should have been moved to Portland right away instead of being buried. He played playoffs for Port in 06 and 8 games in 07 then most of 08 and playoffs with 23 games in Ana.  What he learned there he would have learned more in Portland playing against men that were better. When he did move his numbers were still strong in port  and he was a quick jump to NHL then. To me, you pick a first rounder he is NHL ready, he is of the elite and has worked for his shot and deserves it.  If you don't want this kid that you kept your pick for then you should have traded the pick, why hoard it if he is a potential bust.  If you deem it a weak draft then trade the first rounder, but if you draft him use him. It was said, all would want him if he had not been with Crosby and that he would have been a #1 in most years. I believed this then and now, he did not need 2 more years in OHL. Once again an NHL saved 2 years of RFA and salary on a player for an extra 2 years. The team saves long term and short term money on getting a better player, yes he has heightened his skills and should be getting better. He is a player, I just hope he doesn't get Kesselitis and want more than he has earned.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

I don't know if Ryan was eligible to play in the AHL right away.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bobby Freak In Ryan : This is absolute reality.  You should make a point to watch him play this season.  Yeah, he's that good.

And don't forget how GREAT he was during the Olympics.  One of the top players in the that tournament IMHO.