BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen

In Response to BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen:
    As most of you know, there are rumors of a three-way deal between the Bruins, Flyers, and Kings.  Eklund is reporting this, but so is Darren Dreger and other reputable hockey sources, so these rumors may very well be true.  This is what I believe will happen: (Kovalchuk must sign in LA before a trade goes down) To BOS: Simon Gagne and Jack Johnson To PHI: Tim Thomas and Dustin Brown To LA: Marc Savard and Matt Carle I think this trade is reasonably fair and satisfies all three teams' needs.  Each team ends up with a veteran player with some health issues (Gagne, Thomas, Savard) and also a young player that can be a centerpiece of each franchise for years to come (Johnson, Brown, Carle).  As far as salary cap goes: this trade would keep BOS and PHI under the cap, but LA would be over by around $330,000 if they sign Kovy for 10 million a year, which is around what he's asking for.  The Bruins would have the most space if this deal went through, so they would have to take some salary back. Thoughts?
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Right now, I think Kovy is going to the Islanders. I live on Long Island, and the media was really trashing the Isles because they sat there and did almost nothing in the first days of free agancy. Supposedly, they are "close to finalizing a deal for $10 million/10 years. I would say that Garth Snow is under pressure to get a least one guy to help the team big time so they sell more tickets and then they have a better chance at getting a new arena. Kovy would really help. They have a ton of cap room. And I'm looking forward to seeing him play here twice a year when the B's are in town.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen:
    In Response to BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : Right now, I think Kovy is going to the Islanders. I live on Long Island, and the media was really trashing the Isles because they sat there and did almost nothing in the first days of free agancy. Supposedly, they are "close to finalizing a deal for $10 million/10 years. I would say that Garth Snow is under pressure to get a least one guy to help the team big time so they sell more tickets and then they have a better chance at getting a new arena. Kovy would really help. They have a ton of cap room. And I'm looking forward to seeing him play here twice a year when the B's are in town.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

I've read some similar arguments from Islanders fans, but my question is: Why would Kovy take New York's money, but not Atlanta's?  The Thrashers were offering him big money (I don't remember the specific amount) to stay in Atlanta, but he turned it down.  I think he obviously wants a large contract, but a Cup as well.  The Islanders are worse than the Thrashers were last year, and won't be in playoff contention for '10-'11.  Kovalchuk's wife wants to live in LA (she was looking at houses down there) and so does Kovy himself.  He will be a King before the end of the weekend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : I've read some similar arguments from Islanders fans, but my question is: Why would Kovy take New York's money, but not Atlanta's?  The Thrashers were offering him big money (I don't remember the specific amount) to stay in Atlanta, but he turned it down.  I think he obviously wants a large contract, but a Cup as well.  The Islanders are worse than the Thrashers were last year, and won't be in playoff contention for '10-'11.  Kovalchuk's wife wants to live in LA (she was looking at houses down there) and so does Kovy himself.  He will be a King before the end of the weekend.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

The Islanders have the cap space to bring in whoever they want. I think they should've tried to land Volchenkov or someone else to sure up the D. Now if they can get Kovalchuck, they should try and get Nabokov. He's awful in the playoffs, but he can get them close if not there. Then they can get their new arena. They have a lot of good young guys and it's very possible that they can be a playoff contender in a few years. Garth Snow is under a lot of pressure here and might just give Kovalchuck all he can. They're close to getting it done according to the media.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : I've read some similar arguments from Islanders fans, but my question is: Why would Kovy take New York's money, but not Atlanta's?  The Thrashers were offering him big money (I don't remember the specific amount) to stay in Atlanta, but he turned it down.  I think he obviously wants a large contract, but a Cup as well.  The Islanders are worse than the Thrashers were last year, and won't be in playoff contention for '10-'11.  Kovalchuk's wife wants to live in LA (she was looking at houses down there) and so does Kovy himself.  He will be a King before the end of the weekend.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

If you came to America and had your choice, would you pick Atlanta to call home?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

If Savard wanted to be close to kids, LA isn't a destination that would be preferrable.  I think it's a deal that helps everybody, but Savard and Gagne's consent is needed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Posted by TimThomas-god

Also, in Atlanta he was playing in an empty arena in the south where nobody cared about hockey. Hockey isn't the most popular sport here, but it's more than Atlanta. The Islanders don't sell out more then 8 times a year, but they can. Rest assured, a big name guy like Kovy is all it would take to fill the seats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

If Savard wanted to be close to kids, LA isn't a destination that would be preferrable.  I think it's a deal that helps everybody, but Savard and Gagne's consent is needed.
    Posted by Raskman

Well I guess Savard could stay in Boston just to spite the Bruins management, but wouldn't he rather play for a team that actaully wants him?  If I were Savard, I would happily approve a trade, because it is apparent the Bruins don't want him and are treating him like cr_p.  Obviously Savard would be a lot farther away from his kids, but he's on the road 24/7.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

So, TT & Savvy for Gagne & Jack Johnson?  I'd take it although it only saves around $2.5M in cap space and you would have to turn around and spend most of that on a solid back-up goalie.  Not sure this deal helps free up the necessary cap space to re-sign Wheels or Stuart.
    Lines?
    Gagne- Krejci- Horton
    Lucic - Bergy - Ryder
    Wheels - Seguin - Recchi
    Paile- Campbell- Thorny

Chara- Seidenberg
    Stuart- Johnson
    Ference- Boychuk

I would prefer to end up with Dustin Brown, I think he is the best player in this deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I doubt that Savard will waive his NTC to go play 3000 miles away from his family.  That runs counter to everything I have been reading about Savard's wishes to play closer to his family. 

Gagne has reportedly waived his NTC, so that isn't an issue. 

Kovalchuk might put butts in seats on Lawn Guyland, but that's about it.  A team already synonymous with bad contracts would be crippled for the next decade if they dished out a 10 year/$100M deal to a player who has led his team to the playoffs ONCE in his career. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Bobby Ryan
    Right Wing ,FA - ANA ,this is the guy to go after.to the ducks savard ,ryder ,to boston Bobby Ryan ,4TH RD Ryan would work well with DK AND MW,,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bobby Ryan Right Wing ,FA - ANA ,this is the guy to go after.to the ducks savard ,ryder ,to boston Bobby Ryan ,4TH RD Ryan would work well with DK AND MW,,
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr

Anaheim has Corey Perry and Joffrey Lupul on the right side.  Why would they want a $4M third line throwaway like Ryder?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I would prefer to end up with Dustin Brown, I think he is the best player in this deal.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see the Fliers land both Brown and Thomas.  They would instantly get a whole lot tougher.  They would probably try to turn Thomas into another Ron Hextall, hacking and whacking anyone who came within reach of his crease.  I could see them throwing in either Boucher or Leighton in the deal since they would have to get rid of a goalie anyhow. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

But what difference does it make where Savard plays?  He's on the road regardless, and doesn't get to see his kids all that often while playing with the Bruins.  I could definitely seeing him waive his NTC to play in LA: he would get to set up a perennial 50-goal scorer in Kovalchuk, plus he would be playing for a team that actually wants him.

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with specific Seinfeld episodes, but Savard staying in Boston is like George Costanza working at Play Now.  He knows he's not wanted, but he stays for the perks.  George stayed because he got to use a really nice handicapped bathroom; Savard wants to stay because he gets to play near his home for ONLY 24 games a year.  Still, is that worth playing for a team that hates your guts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Apparently it means quite a bit to Savard, judging by the way his contract is structured.  With the exception of Chicago, he can only be traded to the teams closest to his family.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Bobby Ryan Right Wing ,FA - ANA ,this is the guy to go after.to the ducks savard ,ryder ,to boston Bobby Ryan ,4TH RD Ryan would work well with DK AND MW,,
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr

So Boston trades a center they seem to no longer want + the worst contract on the team, for one of the best young RW's in the league? 
    And you think the ducks should throw in a draft pick as well?
    MAYBE, if you substituted Krejci for Savard, and Horton for Ryder, the Anaheim GM wouldn't slam the phone down on Chiarelli. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, I didn't even think about this when I first read it:

Why would LA trade Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson to get Marc Savard and Matt Carle?

Am I missing something?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Apparently it means quite a bit to Savard, judging by the way his contract is structured.  With the exception of Chicago, he can only be traded to the teams closest to his family.
    Posted by Mutant211

Well if that's the case, then it looks like he's staying here, because there is nobody on TOR, OTT, MTL, CHI, and PHI worth trading for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Wow, I didn't even think about this when I first read it: Why would LA trade Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson to get Marc Savard and Matt Carle? Am I missing something?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Carle is better than Johnson; Savard and Kovy were beastly together in ATL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why is LA getting rid of young, high end players like Johnson and Brown for Savard and Carle?  Their captain and a D who relishes being the bad guy for a guy under a cloud and coming off a bad concussion and a defenseman who is, no matter how you describe him, a step down from Johnson?

Okay, just looked at the Eklund (shudder) because I couldn't find the Dreger (link?).  I suppose it would be a play to reunite Kovalchuk and Savard.  I find novelty trades almost never go through.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

LA is getting the shaft here if this were an actual deal.  Brown is the captain and heart and soul.  JJ is a stud dman in the making.  They get Savy who is concused, a very good player but baggage and Matt Carle who had stats b/c he played with Pronger.  Terrible deal for LA.  I would be pumped if I were Philly and Boston.  Imagine Brown playing with Richards....good lord there would be some bodies flying around. 

It isn't a terrible offer though...but LA would be going backwards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Savvy would love L.A. with all the golf courses and Hollywood pizzaz. He would fly his kids out to a perpetual summer playground. I'm with NAS in wondering why L.A. would move both Brown and Johnson. However, with all the " pundits" posting possibles, something could definitely be brewing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

If you guys are taking this trade so seriously, then just stop posting.  This is just what I thought might happen if a trade was to happen.  It wasn't intended to offend anyone, because I know many people on here (including NAS) take posts personally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Wow, I didn't even think about this when I first read it: Why would LA trade Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson to get Marc Savard and Matt Carle? Am I missing something?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

agreed, LA has nothing to gain from this trade giving up two talented and tough as nails players....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why is LA getting rid of young, high end players like Johnson and Brown for Savard and Carle?  Their captain and a D who relishes being the bad guy for a guy under a cloud and coming off a bad concussion and a defenseman who is, no matter how you describe him, a step down from Johnson? Okay, just looked at the Eklund (shudder) because I couldn't find the Dreger (link?).  I suppose it would be a play to reunite Kovalchuk and Savard.  I find novelty trades almost never go through.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Yeah, Book, the "trade for this guy to play with that guy" trades are imaginary.

If the idea is to put Savard together with Kovalchuk, that would push Kopitar to second line minutes. 

I officially declare this rumor to be total BS.  It makes no sense at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : Yeah, Book, the "trade for this guy to play with that guy" trades are imaginary. If the idea is to put Savard together with Kovalchuk, that would push Kopitar to second line minutes.  I officially declare this rumor to be total BS.  It makes no sense at all.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Jesus Christ NAS, stop taking these kinds of posts so seriously.  Why don't you go outside and take a walk.

Sections
Shortcuts