BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen

I actually think we should hang on to Thomas and Savard. I really don't think Rask is capable of handling a full season's worth of games without that cushion of knowing that, if you need a break, you still have a good chance to win. Savard can still put up a decent amount of points in a full season. But if he's not liked in the room, then he needs to go. As far as cap space, Ryder needs to be buried in the minors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen:
    In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : Carle is better than Johnson; Savard and Kovy were beastly together in ATL.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

I think we're all missing the big travesty here: Matt Carle is not better than Jack Johnson haha...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonyalbani89. Show anthonyalbani89's posts

So, TT & Savvy for Gagne & Jack Johnson?  I'd take it although it only saves around $2.5M in cap space and you would have to turn around and spend most of that on a solid back-up goalie.  Not sure this deal helps free up the necessary cap space to re-sign Wheels or Stuart. Lines? Gagne- Krejci- Horton Lucic - Bergy - Ryder Wheels - Seguin - Recchi Paile- Campbell- Thorny Chara- Seidenberg Stuart- Johnson Ference- Boychuk I would prefer to end up with Dustin Brown, I think he is the best player in this deal.
    Posted by Crowls2424

What do you do with the rest of the players that have contracts? Like Hunwick, I know Ferrance wouldn;t make it a season so I jsut that free up that spot!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonyalbani89. Show anthonyalbani89's posts

I defend the original post as a reasonable starting point for a deal.  Many posters are in the habit of bashing Savvy & TT to the point of no value, but these are high-caliber veteran players being squeezed out by younger options, Seguin & Rask respectively What is everone's fascination with Jack Johnson anyway?  Is it his career-high 36 points last year?  Or was it his -15?  Or his career -57 in 200 games?  Or that he has had the worst +/- on the Kings for the past 2 seasons.  Stud defenseman?  I am not so sure about that. We had a D-man last year that was -14 and he was rightfully run out of town.  The difference between Wideman and Johnson is that the former was a +32 the year before.  Johnson has been a minus each year since he has been in the league; -5 (5 games), -19, -18, -15. Guys, I get the fact that B's fans are a little overzealous in rating our players, but please don't fall into the same trap with players from other teams. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Thank you, JJ is a fair player but young. He was not that great at Michigan either. He is big and likes the spot light on him. So does his Dad. He's his agent as well.  Nice person what is fitting in the LA spot light too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: BOS/PHI/LA Supertrade: What Will Happen : Hey Mr. Rogers, might want to go back to the land of make-believe?  In this hockey-talk forum, we get bloodied.  I appreciate your concern, but c'mon?  Toughen up a little...   
    Posted by Crowls2424

Kinda agree with that post.  Exclude the personal stuff, get to the facts.  No reason to do drive by postal remarks. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Wow, I didn't even think about this when I first read it: Why would LA trade Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson to get Marc Savard and Matt Carle? Am I missing something?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Exactly.  Now, if Zach Hamill is included...well....then it's a done deal!!   Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In this trade we a) get out from Thomas contract, b) acquire Jack Johnson and c) bring in Simon Gagne all for Savard.

This is a ton of value and the polar opposite of a "soft trade".   These Savard trade rumors are all over the map.  The "value returned" spectrum has become too vast....

If we are going to trade him, it should only be for value.  Not for cap space, not to make room for an 18 yr old kid who could put on weight in juniors, not because he's vocal, and certainly not because some of us dont like him.  All of the above forfeit our chances at competing for the cup this year.  Going by the recent pretenders or cotenders poll, it seems that most of us do believe that the bruins are going to make noise this year (as is).  So the B's should only trade him (and i would prefer that they don't) in a deal such as this one, where we get considerable short term value back.

Exploring the other side (do trades that bring value back make sense for other teams): there are people with far more knowledge than me barking that these trades are "dream come true/unrealistic" scenarios.  Combining these two points, it seems like the only trades that make sense for us (i.e. they dont make us significantly worse in the short-term and ruin are upcoming cup run) are "wishful thinking" scenarios.  This means that we probably arent going to get enough back to warrant trading him.  This is EXACTLY why you hear people saying "dont sell low".  From a business point of view, it seems wise to keep Savard. 

Hockey is a business first, and selling low is very seldomly good for business.  The disparity in the "returned value" seen in Savy trades suggests that moving him now would be selling low.

Sections
Shortcuts