Boston Globe front page 12/7/08

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Wondering what everyone's take is on the Globe putting the "resurgent" Bruins on the front page above the fold.

I felt it was interesting to see that the only mention of ownership was to talk about how "some fans" felt the Bruins ownership was a little "flinty" and would trade their superstars rather than pay them. Talk about whitewashing history. Charlie Jacobs is quoted saying that he takes pride in authorship of this current team, like the Jacobs family actually had something to do with it. Anyone who believes this just isn't paying attention. This team is succeeding despite the pathetic history of this ownership and the way they've treated the fan base for 34 years.

When all was said and done, the question that came to the top of my head was, How much do you suppose the Jacobs clan had to pay the Globe to put such a piece of promotion on the front page?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

The way this team is playing right now I couldn't care less if Jacobs paid for the press. This team is the best in years. I hope they can keep it up!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Personally, I do not in the least understand this bizarre fixation with ownership. I follow the team on the ice. Why do I care who signs Marc Savard's checks? I'm more interested in Marc Savard. I couldn't care less if Fidel Castro owned this team, as long as he spent to the cap (which the Bruins do).

Very strange. I just keep picturing these people watching the games and growling over ownership like little demented shih tzus or something.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[Quote]Personally, I do not in the least understand this bizarre fixation with ownership. I follow the team on the ice. Why do I care who signs Marc Savard's checks? I'm more interested in Marc Savard. I couldn't care less if Fidel Castro owned this team, as long as he spent to the cap (which the Bruins do).

Very strange. I just keep picturing these people watching the games and growling over ownership like little demented shih tzus or something.
    [/Quote] Well said.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I agree Duinne.......time for these Jacobs haters to "get over it". Look at what's on the ice now, and judge from there. Straight A's so far. Nuff said.

I'm not looking to 2009/2010 and the free agency, salary negotiations etc. All I care about right now, is the team that they have on the ice.......and it's a Damn good one!!
    With 30 teams in the league, winning a Stanley Cup is not an easy task.......and even harder with the salary cap system. Personally, I think things have changed significantly in the Bruins front office. Getting Julien and PC was the start........and now your seeing the results (and of course Mike had something to do with it as well......before he got canned.)

GO BRUINS!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I too loathe Jacobs; we fans and the Jacobs would be much better served by having Jeremy and Charlie stay completely in the background now. Having said that, Jeremy Jacobs is the guy who hired Peter Chiarelli, and Chiarelli's the guy who deserves most (but not all) of the credit for the B's resurgence, there's no denying that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mschoolcraft. Show mschoolcraft's posts

you know I wanna say I give Jacobs credit, I mean hje and charlie are making thje right moves, to say you have a problem with them now Is holding a grudge, This is not 1997 anymore it is not 1992 it is not 1998 get over it lets live in the presant. YOu know i can see the Bruins winning the cup this year and some of these fans saying damm they still arnt like the Bruins of the 1990 who never won but they are still better and then they will say Jacobs sucks because he traded joe junuea. Maybe the problem in those days was Harry Sinden blaming it on Jacobs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgrl. Show patsgrl's posts

this must be a first - I don't ever remember the Bruins being on the front page. How cool is that!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[Quote]
    this must be a first - I don't ever remember the Bruins being on the front page. How cool is that!
    [/Quote]

They keep going at the rate they are.........and your going to see them their alot more frequently. :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

[Quote] Having said that, Jeremy Jacobs is the guy who hired Peter Chiarelli, and Chiarelli's the guy who deserves most (but not all) of the credit for the B's resurgence, there's no denying that.

[/Quote]

Point well made. I agree that Chiarelli's gameplan is starting to take shape, as I felt it might once he was able to shake free of the mess he inherited. You're absolutely right, Jacobs did hire him, but just remember: even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I hope everyone's right and that the team will continue to succeed, whether Jacobs is the owner or not. It's a lot of fun for people who have been long-suffering fans through so many down years. Who knows, they keep succeeding and I might stop hating Jacobs with every fiber of my being.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

[Quote] I couldn't care less if Fidel Castro owned this team, as long as he spent to the cap (which the Bruins do).

[/Quote]

You mean the cap that Jacobs designed virtually by himself? Do you think he could really face the other owners if he put all that effort into the "cost certainty" of a cap and then didn't at least approach it? I don't think he particularly cares what the fans think of him, he knows he'll be profitable enough to not worry about it, regardless of the success or failure of the team. He has a 34 year track record to go by on that one. He's more concerned with how he'd look to the owners who he convinced to shut down for an entire season.

Sections
Shortcuts