Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players.

http://www.checkingfrombehind.com/blog.htm?a=&nid=D203B5C9-7141-4F2D-8536-98173A141E34

Consider that the season ticket holders purchased in the summer - before the first 10 games - before the losing streak  - before everything and given the success last season attendence went up 1.7%.

I mean... look at the Kings, they are better this year and their attendence went up 3.2%

I say that you all are a tough bunch to please.

I say a great many readers' fingers are burning to reply with an angry post about how bad this team is and that nobody should attend and etc. etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players.

BadHab, i was one of the pleased ones.  Went all-in for the season tix. 

This year, i'm not impressed.  dunno if i'll re-up.  That depends on messrs. Jacobs and his prices for next year...I will not pay anything extra from this season's prices.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players.:
    BadHab, i was one of the pleased ones.  Went all-in for the season tix.  This year, i'm not impressed.  dunno if i'll re-up.  That depends on messrs. Jacobs and his prices for next year...I will not pay anything extra from this season's prices.
    Posted by stingerjp

I'm in with a guy that has season tix and I already decided I'm not going to do it again next year.  There was another thread about going to see the Bruins play the Lightning or Panthers - in Florida, and that's what I'm going to do next year, maybe even this year.  Wife isn't a hockey fan, but she will endure a game in exchange for the Florida weather.

Garden is a pain to get in and out of, the venue itself ain't great and tix way way cheaper in FLA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldisbackforonemoreshow. Show donaldisbackforonemoreshow's posts

It is really a simple concept to grasp. Boston and New England is a knowledgeable and passionate fanbase.

The 3 other major sports teams have all won championships recently and are usually competing for one.

Because of the demand for a winner and in case you haven't noticed a tough economy where are you going to sink your disposable income (if you're lucky enough to have some)? A championship contender or a perennial under achieving organization? Whom by the way has the second highest ticket and concession prices in the NHL.

Also their is the trust factor, like it or not the Bruins ownership for the better part of 40 years has been an abomination, couple that with the ultra conservative GM the Bruins now have it doesn't really create any excitement that the Bruins will finally actually do something (win at least 2 rounds in the playoffs)

17 years now since the Bruins have won 2 rounds in the same playoff year.

Only 1 round in the past decade.

TALK IS CHEAP. Bruins fans finally want to see some results before they pay Jacobs rediculous prices. But I think you knew all this anyway, you just wanted to start another discussion where you can stir the pot and get everybody riled up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It is really a simple concept to grasp. Boston and New England is a knowledgeable and passionate fanbase. The 3 other major sports teams have all won championships recently and are usually competing for one. Because of the demand for a winner and in case you haven't noticed a tough economy where are you going to sink your disposable income (if you're lucky enough to have some)? A championship contender or a perennial under achieving organization? Whom by the way has the second highest ticket and concession prices in the NHL. Also their is the trust factor, like it or not the Bruins ownership for the better part of 40 years has been an abomination, couple that with the ultra conservative GM the Bruins now have it doesn't really create any excitement that the Bruins will finally actually do something (win at least 2 rounds in the playoffs) 17 years now since the Bruins have won 2 rounds in the same playoff year. Only 1 round in the past decade. TALK IS CHEAP. Bruins fans finally want to see some results before they pay Jacobs rediculous prices. But I think you knew all this anyway, you just wanted to start another discussion where you can stir the pot and get everybody riled up
    Posted by donaldisbackforonemoreshow

Sure, but why did the Red Sox get a free pass for 80 years?  Why did they gain a religious cult following and you have to admit they treated their fans like dirt.  Talk about cheap ownership...  ok, I know the answers, but I'm just sayin...

I take your point and I understand, but 1.3% after finishing second best in the league?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldisbackforonemoreshow. Show donaldisbackforonemoreshow's posts

In Response to Re: Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players. : Sure, but why did the Red Sox get a free pass for 80 years?  Why did they gain a religious cult following and you have to admit they treated their fans like dirt.  Talk about cheap ownership...  ok, I know the answers, but I'm just sayin... I take your point and I understand, but 1.3% after finishing second best in the league?
    Posted by BadHabitude

No offense man but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. What free pass? There we're so many Red Sox games pre 2000 that there were 15,000-20,000 people in the stands. Weekday games routinely drew under 10k especially in the 80's and early 90's. Some games in the 1960's had 500 people in the stands!

This notion that people have that the Red Sox always sold out and were the ticket in town is completely false. Only did this cult like following really take off was in 2003 when the new ownership took over and the Red Sox started to win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwoods7977. Show cwoods7977's posts

I think you will find your answer right here.

I agree with the "talk is cheap" sentiment. Enough of "the future is bright" enough of the "woulda coulda shoulda" or "we'll get em next year" It is time to put up or shut up for this organization

2008-09       Lost in 2nd Round        Hurricanes

2007-08   Lost in 1st Round     Canadiens

2006-07             DNQ 

2005-06             DNQ

2004-05      NHL LOCKOUT

2003-04    Lost in 1st Round     Canadiens 

2002-03    Lost in 1st Round     Devils 

2001-02    Lost in 1st Round     Canadiens 

2000-01             DNQ 

1999-00             DNQ 

1998-99    Lost in 2nd Round    Sabres

1997-98    Lost in 1st Round      Capitals 

1996-97             DNQ 

1995-96    Lost in 1st Round      Panthers 

1994-95    Lost in 1st Round      Devils 

1993-94    Lost in 2nd Round     Devils 

1992-93    Lost in 1st Round      Sabres 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Adding one more argument to Badhabs point:  the ownership is spending all they can under the cap.  They can't go any higher right now, they are at the max!

They could make a bunch of deals and give players away, but ask Brian Burke if that worked for him...

Now, if the Jacobs raise ticket prices after a year like this.............

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from norwoodmustang. Show norwoodmustang's posts

Adding one more argument to Badhabs point:  the ownership is spending all they can under the cap.  They can't go any higher right now, they are at the max! They could make a bunch of deals and give players away, but ask Brian Burke if that worked for him... Now, if the Jacobs raise ticket prices after a year like this.............
    Posted by stingerjp

Worked out well in the past for Burke wouldn't you say!

The GM, scouts, coaches, etc etc do not count against the cap. How much would you guess Jacobs spends in those areas? My guess is the bare minimum or close to it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Re: Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players. : Sure, but why did the Red Sox get a free pass for 80 years?  Why did they gain a religious cult following and you have to admit they treated their fans like dirt.  Talk about cheap ownership...  ok, I know the answers, but I'm just sayin... I take your point and I understand, but 1.3% after finishing second best in the league?
    Posted by BadHabitude

Just a quick thought when I read your post. I grew up 3 miles from Fenway and it wasn't always a cult following until recently. You probably would be surprised to know that in both 78 & 86 it was easy to get bleachers seats on a saturday. Clements 20 strike-out game was about half full. The Bruins Tickets were always the toughest in Boston to get, with the Celts following them.
    The Marketing team for the Red Sox over the last 15 years has been AMAZING!!
    They sell the "oldest best park in the country" fantastically to visitors and boring surburbanites. They also sell the "86" year drought and poor us against Goliath (Yankees) feeling.  Marketing, marketing, marketing........ We also live in an area that has the oldest people in the country that have resided here their whole lives.

Boston was built around the Bruins and Boxing, unfortunately for many reasons, hockey just isn't as popular.

See you all March 4th against TO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Badhab  I will do the research but to say LA Kings went up 2.3% depends upon the base attendance you are starting with when establishing the %.  I will assume the Bruins 1.7% increase is based upon the previous year attendance in 2008-09.  In other words depending on the capacity of the venue, the prices of tickets, and the loyalty of fans the % can be skewed.  That said the fact the Bruins ownership has a history of poor leadership, so "your % comparison" would mean the Bruins fans are in fact not supporting the ownership.  The perception of Bruins fans is sometimes more important than the hard core accounting facts.  JJ has no clue on that factor. Now I will say probability of winning the cup under the cap has increased the chances for the Bruins.  Keep the picks!  A cap makes conservative financial thinking a mantra of creating a competitive team.  The only exception would be Marleau or Kovy signing a friendly home town contract this summer.  Fat chance their!  BTW Zilla I was the one who said peace and love in one of the posts! I was being a smart aleck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thagodfather. Show thagodfather's posts

I am not from Boston but looking at that playoff record I dont see any real commitment to winning from ownership on down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Boston - the crowd is tougher than the players. : No offense man but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. What free pass? There we're so many Red Sox games pre 2000 that there were 15,000-20,000 people in the stands. Weekday games routinely drew under 10k especially in the 80's and early 90's. Some games in the 1960's had 500 people in the stands! This notion that people have that the Red Sox always sold out and were the ticket in town is completely false. Only did this cult like following really take off was in 2003 when the new ownership took over and the Red Sox started to win.
    Posted by donaldisbackforonemoreshow

The 'free pass' I'm talking about is the negativity that the team never felt like the Bruins do and always had.  What you are saying about Sox attendence is true, but look at their overall attendence.
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/rsoxatte.shtml
    I see a few lean years, the 60's worst of all, but they did get over a million people in the gate 4 of those years if you count 1970 and they got over 800k in 3 of those years.  Total attendence in MLB in those years averaged about 20 million.
    I would call that pretty loyal attendence.
    But most of all, the animousity against the bruins is pretty unfair in comparison to the Sox, whose ownership was NOT committed to winning, but first and foremost to filling up the ballpark.  They did that by getting the big ego guys - and the managers were taking orders from them, not the other way around like it should be.
    By catering to the fans wants, the Red Sox kept themselves out of championhsips all those years.  Willie Mays?  Fans don't want to see a black guy, so out he goes no matter how good he was.  Meantime the Bruins put O'Ree out there and only the hardcore fans knew about that in the late 60's - 1990's.
    Historically the Bruins haven't gotten the media attention they deserved in this area and now it is much worse.  You get these people coming in from out of town who know nothing about hockey and are proud of it, like Dan Shaughnessy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Badhab, I think the ticket sales will decline next year because the prices were raised considerably over the year before.  Case in point:  I go to individual games and have attended 22 at $36 a seat.  This year:  same seat costs $90!!!!  Huge price difference.  I'm watching them every game on Comcast and being a fan.  Did not buy into the Winter Classic marketing scheme that's the NHL newest trend. 

Anyway, disposable income makes you pick and chose what to do in your off time.  The Bruins are the only team I follow, but I'm not spending $2K on going to games.  I'll select a few games and watch from home. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Badhab, I think the ticket sales will decline next year because the prices were raised considerably over the year before.  Case in point:  I go to individual games and have attended 22 at $36 a seat.  This year:  same seat costs $90!!!!  Huge price difference.  I'm watching them every game on Comcast and being a fan.  Did not buy into the Winter Classic marketing scheme that's the NHL newest trend.  Anyway, disposable income makes you pick and chose what to do in your off time.  The Bruins are the only team I follow, but I'm not spending $2K on going to games.  I'll select a few games and watch from home. 
    Posted by Believe1

I'm in the same boat you are, except my remedy is that I'm going to catch the Bruins away in Florida and sell a vacation idea to my wife.

But I believe my point about the Red Sox stays, although they didn't always fill the place, their attendence surpassed their performance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Islamorada hit the important point regarding that article.  The percent difference is the change in percent of capacity.  Last year the Bruins were at 97%, and increasing that is difficult (unless you are the Blackhawks, which had 111% last year.  I have no idea how that works).  The Kings were at 89%, so had plenty of seats available to up attendance.

Sections
Shortcuts