Boychuk ready for season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Boychuk ready for season

Nice story by Joe Haggerty on Johnny Boychuk. Props to Chiarelli for not only picking him up (via trade, for Matt Hendricks) but for re-signing him to a more than reasonable contract this summer. Not only a good player, but an easy guy to root for.

http://www.csnne.com/09/03/10/Boychuk-only-scratching-the-surface-of-h/v1_landing_bruins.html?blockID=303402&feedID=3944

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: Boychuk ready for season

If Boychuck can up his game just a little bit, and be a steady number 4, the Bruins will do very well this year. One of my concerns with this team is their defensive depth, specifically in the 3-4 range. I am more than comfortable with Z and Seidenberg. Also, Stuart is a solid number 4 at the moment and should become a solid 3. Past that, Ference, McQuaid, Hunwick, and Boychuk are all 5-7 d-men at the moment. The Bruins need one of those 4 to step up if they are going to build on the success of past seasons, and I think Boychuk is the most likely of the current crop. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The PC haters conveniently forget FA signings like Boychuk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There's nothing to forget or remember.  Boychuk hasn't done anything yet.  He might, and I really hope he does, but so far he hasn't done anything in the NHL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuk ready for season:
    [QUOTE]There's nothing to forget or remember.  Boychuk hasn't done anything yet.  He might, and I really hope he does, but so far he hasn't done anything in the NHL.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

If you mean trophies and cups, you're right. If you mean giving money paying fans something to cheer for, I'd say you're wrong.

JB was fun to watch last year. Filled in quite nicely when he had to step up. Plays a good physical game and has a great shot.

Certainly no hardware but I'm happy to have him as part of the unit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, I mean guys who play 51 NHL games at an average level of play and sign correct money contracts aren't generally on the "great job by the GM locking this guy up" list. 

I hope Boychuk has much more to give.  I hope he continue to progress and becomes an important part of the team's future.  Right now, however, he's an average player with below average experience making average money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Fair enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Boychuk needs to stay with Chara to really hit stride. Leave Seidenberg with Hunwick so when young Matt goes through his mid game brain snafus. Johhny has got game but needs the TOI to prove it I say he gets it done and yes this will go down as a good mid-season pick up for nothing. PC does have allot to make up for on the Versteeg-Bochenski mistake Boychuk is a good start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I think the playoffs boosted the confidence of Boychuk. With this confidence he should become a more useful defenseman this year and for many years to come. This in turn should push the other D-Men (Stuart, Hunwick and Ference, specifically) to work harder to keep there spots. Good healthy competition works wonders.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I'd like to see more of what we saw last year from Boychuk. If we get that, then we can do the following:

Chara Boychuk

Seidenberg Stuart

Ference Hunwick 

McQuaid

I am comfortable with this well balanced lineup.

PP:

1- Chara Hunwick

2- Boychuk Seidenberg

PK:

1- Chara Seidenberg

2- Ference Stuart

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see more of what we saw last year from Boychuk. If we get that, then we can do the following: Chara Boychuk Seidenberg Stuart Ference Hunwick  McQuaid I am comfortable with this well balanced lineup. PP: 1- Chara Hunwick 2- Boychuk Seidenberg PK: 1- Chara Seidenberg 2- Ference Stuart
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

I'd rather see Chara/Seidenberg, Hunwick/Stuart, Ference/Boychuk. Hunwick needs a prototypical stay-at-home partner to give him free reign to jump into the rush, which is his best asset.

As for Chiarelli "making up" for the Versteeg trade, how about Rask/Raycroft?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"how about Rask/Raycroft"

There's only been speculation that it wasn't Jeff Gorton who made that deal. Not so sure that Chiarelli was giving orders on deals or drafting while waiting to become officially instated as Bruins GM.

I've never ridiculed PC for the Versteeg trade but the fact remains Bochenski is still looking for a contract and Versteeg has become very good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]                              "how about Rask/Raycroft" There's only been speculation that it wasn't Jeff Gorton who made that deal. Not so sure that Chiarelli was giving orders on deals or drafting while waiting to become officially instated as Bruins GM. I've never ridiculed PC for the Versteeg trade but the fact remains Bochenski is still looking for a contract and Versteeg has become very good.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but every GM in the history of sports has their misses. They're human beings, and human beings make mistakes. Especially when dealing with something as volatile and ever-changing as the potential of athletes.

It happens in other fields too, of course. Wasn't there a studio head who once said of Fred Astaire, "Can't act. Can't sing. Can dance a little."?  ;-) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]No, I mean guys who play 51 NHL games at an average level of play and sign correct money contracts aren't generally on the "great job by the GM locking this guy up" list.  I hope Boychuk has much more to give.  I hope he continue to progress and becomes an important part of the team's future.  Right now, however, he's an average player with below average experience making average money.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I concur on this NAS. Although, I will say he has shown he can be an above average d-man. If he can show that part on a more consistent basis then the B's will have 4 solid D-men for a few more years. (Chara & Stuart aren't going anywhere & if they do then PC is going to be cursed out by a lot of his supporters, like me)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk ready for season : I concur on this NAS. Although, I will say he has shown he can be an above average d-man. If he can show that part on a more consistent basis then the B's will have 4 solid D-men for a few more years. (Chara & Stuart aren't going anywhere & if they do then PC is going to be cursed out by a lot of his supporters, like me)
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

It's tantalizing to think what still lies ahead for a talented blueliner that's being called one of the biggest free agent bargains of the offseason. Credit general manager Peter Chiarelli for the shrewd signing and Boychuk for remaining in Boston when there could have been a bigger payday elsewhere.

Just fyi, these are not my words. Clink the link in the first post for more. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-of-Smeg. Show Bruins-of-Smeg's posts

"I've never ridiculed PC for the Versteeg trade but the fact remains Bochenski is still looking for a contract and Versteeg has become very good."
     We won't really know if Versteeg is good until playing in TO this season. I do suspect he is though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuk ready for season:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk ready for season : Yeah, but every GM in the history of sports has their misses. They're human beings, and human beings make mistakes. Especially when dealing with something as volatile and ever-changing as the potential of athletes. It happens in other fields too, of course. Wasn't there a studio head who once said of Fred Astaire, "Can't act. Can't sing. Can dance a little."?  ;-) 
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Very true and I still don't understand why Bochenski's Junior and AHL totals didn't translate. Nothing you can do now can't dwell on the Larry Anderson and Mike Boddicker trades forever Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dangit, SanDog!

Oh, just imagine if Bagpipes played for the Sox for all those years...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk ready for season : It's tantalizing to think what still lies ahead for a talented blueliner that's being called one of the biggest free agent bargains of the offseason. Credit general manager Peter Chiarelli for the shrewd signing and Boychuk for remaining in Boston when there could have been a bigger payday elsewhere. Just fyi, these are not my words. Clink the link in the first post for more. 
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

The writer is pretty high on a guy with 51 NHL games.  I'll hold off judgment for a little while.  I hope he is right!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Hay Dueenie, first off spell your name right.  Secondly, put a shirt on you girlyman.  After you have done this then you can talk Bruin hockey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I honestly don't understand.  What makes Versteeg so great after 2 20 goal seasons, especially when his numbers declined last season?  He's not that big, yes he was on a Stanley Cup team, his productivity in the playoffs saw a slight dip over the regulars season.  He was 6th in scoring on the team, behind Hossa who played 20 less games.  A valuable part of the Blackhawks, but I wouldn't call him a key player, and the Black Hawks also thought so.

I'd say he has to turn in a few more good seasons before I would call Versteeg a proven NHL player.

I could easily see his career following the pattern of a million other NHL guys, like Lee Stempniak, 27 goals one year and fading ever since.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Another thing about the Versteeg deal , PC has to rely on his scouts alot and if they thought Versteeg was expendable then he went with their advice and got more " immediate scoring " in Bochenski . Or at least thats  what PC was hoping .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It appears that Boychuck is doing his off-season preparations Which is all to the good and should strengthen the blue line. Do not like anything but Chara/Seidenberg, since Chara needs smarts/experience and speed to help when he blows point coverage and the fast winger breaks out. Boychuck with Hunwick is also a good chemistry pairing. Unlike Duinne, I do not like Ference because he is injury-prone, not very big, and not particularly fast. In addition, and it's only my opinion, he has too many off-ice endeavors/distractions. I would prefer to see Stuart and McQuaid as a regular pairing, but, they will all miss Coach Ramsey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

When Chara/Seidenberg play close to half the game reliably then 3/4 and 5/6 can drop off. Boychuk/Stuart become a good tough 2nd pairing with Ference/Hunwick limited minutes and PP time. But shows overpay on Ference -could have been had under 2 mill.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly don't understand.  What makes Versteeg so great after 2 20 goal seasons, especially when his numbers declined last season?  He's not that big, yes he was on a Stanley Cup team, his productivity in the playoffs saw a slight dip over the regulars season.  He was 6th in scoring on the team, behind Hossa who played 20 less games.  A valuable part of the Blackhawks, but I wouldn't call him a key player, and the Black Hawks also thought so. I'd say he has to turn in a few more good seasons before I would call Versteeg a proven NHL player. I could easily see his career following the pattern of a million other NHL guys, like Lee Stempniak, 27 goals one year and fading ever since.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I think Versteeg's a decent player, not great, but solid.

The problem is that many Bruins fans think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread; IMHO it's the old Bob Lobel "why can't we get guys like that?" syndrome that happens when a player goes to another team via trade.  

Sections
Shortcuts