Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors

Burke has overvalued both Schenn and Kaberle. If they were worth as much as he thinks they are then the Maple Leafs would not have finished second to last in the NHL. Can PC really take Burke seriously. I have lost all previous respect for Burke as a gm because he is a very arrogant GM who thinks he runs the best team in the league…which is the opposite of the truth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors

If Burke thought he was running the best team in the league, why would he say the following about Nikolai Kulemin?

"While they can say: 'he was on your first line last year,' there is no one who would say Nikolai Kulemin is a first line left winger. He's a first line left winger by default because we did not have a very good team."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

'Burke: 'Looking at multiple names, not including Marc Savard'

"We've looked for top six and bottom six. Top six is where we try to concentrate our skill and speed. That's our first power-play unit. The second power-play unit is the Phil Kessels of the world. And then we want those hard-hat guys in the bottom six. And we don't have enough of either one right now...

"But we have some options that have been presented over the weekend, trade-wise, that do not involve this player, that we are looking at. And so we don't have to answer the question of whether we're interested or not. I respect Peter Chiarelli and the rules, I wouldn't talk about his player anyway.

"Suffice it to say, the media appear focused on one name. We're looking at multiple names. Not including Marc Savard. "

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

Burke is following the principle get the most what you can for the little you have. He's always followed that credo. He's gonna squeeze this for all it's worth. Why, because it the way he operates and he knows he got fleeced by the B's he will never admit it but noone not even Burke knew it would play out this way. I think Savard better than Schenn and Kaberle and Chia need to be careful he doesn't fall into Burkes trap. I think if things keep going the way they are he may get duped and that is give up Savard and some draft picks for either one of those D's!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors:
    Burke is following the principle get the most what you can for the little you have. He's always followed that credo. He's gonna squeeze this for all it's worth. Why, because it the way he operates and he knows he got fleeced by the B's he will never admit it but noone not even Burke knew it would play out this way. I think Savard better than Schenn and Kaberle and Chia need to be careful he doesn't fall into Burkes trap. I think if things keep going the way they are he may get duped and that is give up Savard and some draft picks for either one of those D's!
    Posted by mebackagin

The Leafs are looking to move Schenn?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Trading Savard for Kaberle doesn't help our cap situation. It is a wash salary-wise. It wouldn't give us extra cap space to sign Wheeler and Campbell. It wouldn't give us extra cap space to add a scoring winger.

As for Burke saying he isn't looking at Marc Savard, well I don't read too much into it. GM's mislead all the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    I think if things keep going the way they are he may get duped and that is give up Savard and some draft picks for either one of those D's!
    Posted by mebackagin

Not likely.  Peter's not an idiot.

Though, If I'm Savard and i know I'm on the trade block, why wouldn't Toronto be my no. 1 preference.  It fcks the Bruins over for 2011 draft pick, reunites me with Kessel and I'm near my kids.  That would be the ultimate poetic justice for Marc.  An absolute public relations nightmare for Peter, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

and we don't need any more D, especially at 4m/year. Also, Schen has 0 offensive skills... so why bother...?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : We are in desperate need of a 2nd pairing defender.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Chara/Seidenberg/Boychuk/Stuart

I feel no sense of desperation. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

If Burke thought he was running the best team in the league, why would he say the following about Nikolai Kulemin? "While they can say: 'he was on your first line last year,' there is no one who would say Nikolai Kulemin is a first line left winger. He's a first line left winger by default because we did not have a very good team."
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Why am I not surprised to find NAS defending Brian Burke ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : Why am I not surprised to find NAS defending Brian Burke ?
    Posted by RMiller87

Does my post defend Burke or does it simply state facts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Posted by mebackagin

Burke did get fleeced by the B's on the Kessel trade, methinks...

Can't really say that I didn't see that one coming either...

Can any else name any other GM that has traded away first round draft picks to a divisional rival ?

But Savard for Kaberle is a deal that should never happen...

Doesn't help anyone but the Leafs who have our #1 pick in 2011...

Sean Courterier could look very good in Black and Gold next summer...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : Does my post defend Burke or does it simply state facts?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I would have to say that it does both !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : I would have to say that it does both !
    Posted by RMiller87

Actually, the post states a fact.  It might seem that I defend Burke, but that's probably due to Burke being a consistent topic here and everyone looking at him through Black and Gold glasses.  We haven't spent much time discussing other GMs outside of Burke and Tallon.  I give objective points of view when it comes to the 28 other teams (love the B's, hate the Habs).  I'm a hockey fan first, Bruins fan second.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : Actually, the post states a fact.  It might seem that I defend Burke, but that's probably due to Burke being a consistent topic here and everyone looking at him through Black and Gold glasses.  We haven't spent much time discussing other GMs outside of Burke and Tallon.  I give objective points of view when it comes to the 28 other teams (love the B's, hate the Habs).  I'm a hockey fan first, Bruins fan second.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You have a soft spot for the Make BeLeafs that sometimes worries me...

I am keeping my eye on you...

Mercy is for the weak !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

If there is one thing that I've learned this past season, it's that even when one is up 3 games to none, one should never take their foot off of their opponent's throat... 

Learn it, love it and live by it...

Burke is now our enemy, and I don't give a rat's a** what he says !

He can keep his refuse in his own Blue and White backyard...

We don't want it ! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : Chara/Seidenberg/Boychuk/Stuart I feel no sense of desperation. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS:  Does that mean you don't see a need for Bruins to get a PP QB or you recognize the need, but it's just not "desperate" at this time?

Name me a Cup-winner in the past 10 years, with the possible exception of Carolina (though even they had Corvo and Wesley...), that won without a true PP QB at the point (or maybe even two of 'em), or at least one very good, offensive defenseman?  Go through the list of recent Cup-winners:

Chi - Keith, Campbell; Pitts - Gonchar; Det - Lidstrom, Rafalski; Ducks - Neidermayer, Pronger; Tampa - Boyle; etc.

As of now, B's don't have one.  Chara and Boychuk have the big shots, but neither acts as a true PP QB.  Seidenberg and Ference are okay out there, but neither fits the job description.  Stuart's out of this equation; Hunwick has shown flashes, maybe they think he's ready - I doubt it.

If the B's are to be considered a legit Cup contender for 2011, history says they have to obtain someone to fill this one missing role.  Not to mention that a good, puck-moving D would help open things up for B's forwards in general, not just on the power play.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : NAS:  Does that mean you don't see a need for Bruins to get a PP QB or you recognize the need, but it's just not "desperate" at this time? Name me a Cup-winner in the past 10 years, with the possible exception of Carolina (though even they had Corvo and Wesley...), that won without a true PP QB at the point (or maybe even two of 'em), or at least one very good, offensive defenseman?  Go through the list of recent Cup-winners: Chi - Keith, Campbell; Pitts - Gonchar; Det - Lidstrom, Rafalski; Ducks - Neidermayer, Pronger; Tampa - Boyle; etc. As of now, B's don't have one.  Chara and Boychuk have the big shots, but neither acts as a true PP QB.  Seidenberg and Ference are okay out there, but neither fits the job description.  Stuart's out of this equation; Hunwick has shown flashes, maybe they think he's ready - I doubt it. If the B's are to be considered a legit Cup contender for 2011, history says they have to obtain someone to fill this one missing role.  Not to mention that a good, puck-moving D would help open things up for B's forwards in general, not just on the power play.  
    Posted by BruinsCountry

Interesting point of view, but did you note that none of those Stanley Cup winning players that you just mentioned had the last name, Kaberle...

The guy is just wayyyy too soft...

He makes Wheeler look tough...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : Interesting point of view, but did you note that none of those Stanley Cup winning players that you just mentioned had the last name, Kaberle... The guy is just wayyyy too soft... He makes Wheeler look tough...
    Posted by RMiller87

Though I'm not necessarily advocating that Kaberle be the guy, Gonchar too is about as soft as they come, yet the Pens won a Cup with him masterfully running their PP (note:  I realize it's a little easier running a PP with both Crosby AND Malkin on it, but that aside, Gonchar fits the profile of a classic PP QB).

Re:  Kaberle, let's not forget the fact he's hit for 50+ points twice, and 67 points once, not to mention 40+ points I believe it's 3 times, all of this during Sundin's big years.  Who's to say Kaberle couldn't do similarly with B's this coming year?  My guess is CJ would know how to use him appropriately so he doesn't kill us on D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Kaberle won't be a big help to this team. What good is a power play qb if you don't have guys to put the puck in the net? The Bruins need a winger who can score. Nathan Horton may be part of the answer if he decides to finally work hard. Hortron isn't the whole answer. We need another scoring winger. We need to create cap space to sign one. Trading Kaberle even up for Savard won't allow us to do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Kaberle won't be a big help to this team. What good is a power play qb if you don't have guys to put the puck in the net? The Bruins need a winger who can score. Nathan Horton may be part of the answer if he decides to finally work hard. Hortron isn't the whole answer. We need another scoring winger. We need to create cap space to sign one. Trading Kaberle even up for Savard won't allow us to do that.
    Posted by lordy4

Well, this is where Seguin comes into play.  If PC and Co. feel (as I do) that Seguin can contribute 50-60 points this season, it would lessen the risk of moving Savard in order to clear the cap space to get a PP QB (whether it be Kaberle or someone else).  I know many think moving Savard is nuts, but keeping him is risky as hell too.  Concussion, balky knee, etc. 

Not to repeat what's been said by many previously, but with Krejci, Bergy and Seguin, the B's are strong enough up the middle to be able to move Savard to get the good offensive defenseman they need to have all (or most) of the pieces in place to be a legit Cup contender this coming season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

R Miller how long have you been a Bruins fan. I seem to recall you on the Globe site  off where you seemed to support the Habs. Correct me if i am wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke on the Savard Trade rumors : NAS:  Does that mean you don't see a need for Bruins to get a PP QB or you recognize the need, but it's just not "desperate" at this time? Name me a Cup-winner in the past 10 years, with the possible exception of Carolina (though even they had Corvo and Wesley...), that won without a true PP QB at the point (or maybe even two of 'em), or at least one very good, offensive defenseman?  Go through the list of recent Cup-winners: Chi - Keith, Campbell; Pitts - Gonchar; Det - Lidstrom, Rafalski; Ducks - Neidermayer, Pronger; Tampa - Boyle; etc. As of now, B's don't have one.  Chara and Boychuk have the big shots, but neither acts as a true PP QB.  Seidenberg and Ference are okay out there, but neither fits the job description.  Stuart's out of this equation; Hunwick has shown flashes, maybe they think he's ready - I doubt it. If the B's are to be considered a legit Cup contender for 2011, history says they have to obtain someone to fill this one missing role.  Not to mention that a good, puck-moving D would help open things up for B's forwards in general, not just on the power play.  
    Posted by BruinsCountry

I believe NJ WON without a star PP qb....Yes?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Why trade Savard this year? Why can't the Bruins have four good centres? Four centres that include Marc Savard? Why can't Seguin start the season on the 4th Line, at centre? Learn the whole NHL game from the bottom up? Is it because Claude Julien and many Bruins fans here, insist that the 4th line be populated with slow-footed, hard- to-watch rodeo clowns like Shawn Thornton? And that it would be nearly criminal to match Tyler Seguin with Thornton?

If it is true, that you are only as strong as your weakest link, well then, as long as Shawn Thornton's in the lineup, the Bruins are not that strong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

NJ won in a diffferent NHL!
    I'd be cautioned to move Savard yet, let Seguin have some time to see how he develops this season. Maybe you can move Savvy prior to the trade deadline for someone if you think Seguin is ready to handle being one of your top 3 centers. I would also really like to see how Horton would click with Savvy this year. THe guy just had a season with some injury and a no-name center and still put up more than any Bruin. 
    Obviosuly someone has to go, and I am fairly certain PC and Co. want to re-up Bergeron.. so Savvy is def. the odd man out, I'm just wondering if this off season is the time to do it. I'd rather see Seguin get a year under his belt... or at least a few months. 

Sections
Shortcuts