Briere gets 3 game suspension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Briere gets 3 game suspension

Out of character for Briere, but he needs to drop his stick and fight if he's that PO'd.  Definitely a cheap shot and he got what he deserved... Someone needs to take out Carcillo at some point this year, he is just a punk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Briere gets 3 game suspension

Not completely out of character.  Briere has done stuff like that before.  Looks like he has bought into the Flyers' team philosophy. 

Good to see the league get it right for a change. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

repeat offender .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I didnt know he had a history of this stuff. I used to really like him as a player now that Ive seen this and heard he has history he just seems like a prik. If I were the player that got injured id be looking for an eye-for-an-eye next time those teams meet.

Even dipietro wanted some haha.

p.s: You block the word P r i c k boston globe?? Thats like fine to say on nickelodeon jesus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Briere gets 3 game suspension:
    [QUOTE]First of all, Briere should have gotten 6.  The league is going down the sh*tter with their "discipline".  They say theyre going to crack down on hits the the head, WHAT THE   F U C K   WAS THAT!!!!! Second, this forum BLOWS in the way they wont let you write     p r i c k    or     s u c k.  Its like Tipper Gore and her cronies are in charge of it.  We cant write s u c k   it   up   or   pin   p r i c k   but we can write hell?  Makes a lot of         f u c k i n g    sense, especially when I wouldnt normally post foul language but they way they have this board moderated is a freaking joke. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Agree the punishment should've been more severe.No excuse to purposely swing a stick at someone's head yet the suspension is barely longer than if he told the guy to blow him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

For those that missed it, here's a replay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCqSloHCo8

The best view starts at 1:05.

What could Briere possibly be thinking?  Well, besides the obvious, of course.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]First of all, Briere should have gotten 6.  The league is going down the sh*tter with their "discipline".  They say theyre going to crack down on hits the the head, WHAT THE   F U C K   WAS THAT!!!!! Second, this forum BLOWS in the way they wont let you write     p r i c k    or     s u c k.  Its like Tipper Gore and her cronies are in charge of it.  We cant write s u c k   it   up   or   pin   p r i c k   but we can write hell?  Makes a lot of         f u c k i n g    sense, especially when I wouldnt normally post foul language but they way they have this board moderated is a freaking joke. 
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

If you can't express your thoughts without obscene language, you need to grow up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Typical Philly crap.  They really seem to have their own brand of phony toughness.  Like chopping a guy across the head with a stick while he tries to win a faceoff is somehow showing toughness.  Not to mention Carcillo drilling him with a crosscheck at the same time.

Briere should have gotten 5 games minimum.  This is exactly what the league needs to get rid of -- it had nothing to do with hockey in any way.  Just a straight up stick swing to the head.  If Nielsen gets hurt it's a 10 game suspension easy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I didnt get to see it, just viewed the link.....I was expecting a McSorley swipe, wasnt as bad as I envisioned but still warrants a few games suspension; I thought the Bergeron hit was 10 fold worse than this incident.  Until the league starts to come down harder per infraction then the league will always be a mess!!!  There is room for fighting, it serves a huge purpose in policing the game in which guys carry around 4ft weapons, but these cheap shots need to hit these clowns in the wallet on top of game suspensions & it will all stop, its a job to 99% of the players in the league, hit 'em in the pocket & they'll think twice before these type actions....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I didnt get to see it, just viewed the link.....I was expecting a McSorley swipe, wasnt as bad as I envisioned but still warrants a few games suspension; I thought the Bergeron hit was 10 fold worse than this incident.  Until the league starts to come down harder per infraction then the league will always be a mess!!!  There is room for fighting, it serves a huge purpose in policing the game in which guys carry around 4ft weapons, but these cheap shots need to hit these clowns in the wallet on top of game suspensions & it will all stop, its a job to 99% of the players in the league, hit 'em in the pocket & they'll think twice before these type actions....
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]

The thing that makes this worse than the Bergeron hit for me, is that there is no possible argument that this was part of a hockey play, an accident, didn't have time to react, etc, etc.

With the Bergeron hit Jones could at least argue that it was a mistake (and truthfully I doubt Jones intended to board him like that), however reckless it may be.

With Briere there absolutely no question that he intentionally clubbed a guy in the head with his stick.  No excuse for that, ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadBear. Show BigBadBear's posts

Classless, there has been far too much of this already this season. Campbell should step down and allow someone who knows how to handle this take over. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I see what your saying Fletcher, makes sense, your right....

Figures these two particular incidents we're discussing is w/ the Flyers!!  I dont believe Laviolette was the coach when the Bergeron hit went down, must be an organizational atmosphere that tollerates this type of hockey?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I see what your saying Fletcher, makes sense, your right.... Figures these two particular incidents we're discussing is w/ the Flyers!!  I dont believe Laviolette was the coach when the Bergeron hit went down, must be an organizational atmosphere that tollerates this type of hockey?
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]

You know, I think you're right that it is somehow part of the culture there.  From the fans through the organization they have this desperate need to be rough and tough, no matter how that carries itself out.  I mean Carcillo, Hartnell, Pronger, etc. all on the same team??  I think they're trying to lead the league in suspensions every season.  Bunch of clowns.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Briere gets 3 game suspension : You know, I think you're right that it is somehow part of the culture there.  From the fans through the organization they have this desperate need to be rough and tough, no matter how that carries itself out.  I mean Carcillo, Hartnell, Pronger, etc. all on the same team??  I think they're trying to lead the league in suspensions every season.  Bunch of clowns.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Lots will disagree but IMO Richards is as bad as any of them!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I wanted to see DiPietro and Carcillo go.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I wanted to see DiPietro and Carcillo go.
    Posted by matttt87[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, but Carcillo would run away and hide from DiPietro.

Two things:

- How Carcillo escaped a suspension is beyond me. He darts in and throws his own crosscheck from behind right after Briere's. I really hope some day somebody, somewhere, pounds the living daylights out of Carcillo. He's a punk's punk.

- Last season, Tomas Plekanec butt-ended David Krejci in the face on a faceoff -- looked just like this play -- and didn't even get a penalty. The arbitrary wheel of justice just continues to spin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

By no way am I justifying Briere's actions, but Neilson got what he deserved. From the reports Iv'e read, Neilson was mouthing off at briere about his car accident over the summer that nearly killed danny and his 4 year old son. That's a situation where briere or his son, or both couldve died, you don't mouth off about something like that.

That being said, Briere still deserved the suspension. I actually like the flyers. I do think the suspension would have been a game less, but the flyers go up to long island after games with car and nyr. Im sure that played into the decision to give briere 3 games

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Colin Campbell simply needs to be replaced by a former ref, a former player and former coach. Terry Gregson and Brendan Shanahan should do the hiring. Colin is an attorneys first that is afraid of backlash or possible suites by the NHLPA so he gives out improper punishment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]By no way am I justifying Briere's actions, but Neilson got what he deserved. From the reports Iv'e read, Neilson was mouthing off at briere about his car accident over the summer that nearly killed danny and his 4 year old son. That's a situation where briere or his son, or both couldve died, you don't mouth off about something like that. That being said, Briere still deserved the suspension. I actually like the flyers. I do think the suspension would have been a game less, but the flyers go up to long island after games with car and nyr. Im sure that played into the decision to give briere 3 games
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

I think it's more that Briere is a repeat offender. That usually means three games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]By no way am I justifying Briere's actions, but Neilson got what he deserved. From the reports Iv'e read, Neilson was mouthing off at briere about his car accident over the summer that nearly killed danny and his 4 year old son. That's a situation where briere or his son, or both couldve died, you don't mouth off about something like that. That being said, Briere still deserved the suspension. I actually like the flyers. I do think the suspension would have been a game less, but the flyers go up to long island after games with car and nyr. Im sure that played into the decision to give briere 3 games

Well, I agree that's horrible if that is what Nielsen was saying.  But if it was, why not just fight him?  Hockey is the one sport where if somebody talks like that you can square off and punch his lights out.  What you can't do is club him in the head with your stick while he isn't looking and then skate away like nothing happened.  Briere still comes off as a cheap punk here, even if Neilsen deserved a beating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nearly killed?  That's a bit aggressive.  That's "John Kerry Purple Heart but the wound was treated with bacitracin" aggressive.

"He and his son were both taken to the hospital, treated for minor injuries and released. "

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/breaking/Flyers-Forward-Danny-Briere-in-Car-Accident-96578954.html

Big deal.  He got in a car accident.

If Briere was so mad that he had to attempt a decapitation, how did he have the presence of mind to wait for the puck to drop?  If you're that angry, you see red and you lose control.  If you don't lose control, you can't wait for the puck to drop to lose control.  He was in a clear state of mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Why no suspension for Carcillo?  First he crosschecks Nielson after Briere had already chopped him down, then he slashes DiPietro?  He is a despicable player and deserves at least as many games a Briere, probably more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

By saying Neilson got what he deserved you are justifying briere's actions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

I can't wait for Philly to come back to Boston... what a bunch of no-good-hacks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Briere has always been a bit chippy but he has become borderline dirty during his tenure in Philly - Or at least that's what I've noticed when I see him play which of course is not every game. It seems to me this has happened to a number of players over the years who one way or the other end up on the Flyers. They seem to adopt the decades-old Flyer philosophy of playing dirty. Some days I have a hard time deciding which team has the least class: Scabs or Flyers. 

Sections
Shortcuts