Bruins' CUP Window now closed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Bruins' CUP Window now closed

In Response to Re: Bruins' CUP Window now closed:
    If the Bruins weren't an original 6 franchise mired in a 37-year Cup drought I might even agree with you. But they don't have the luxury (or shoudln't) of making fans wait who nows how long to see if maybe they draft as well as Detroit has. (And btw, I'd do Lucic for Kovalchuk in a heartbeat...if you think Looch will EVER be as talented and deadly as Kovalchuk you're kidding yourself.) And I agree about being clever and working hard to negotiate around the Cap. The Manny Fernandez salary hit, $3.3 M for Derek Morris, and a bit too much coin for Tim Thomas (who I love but could have been signed for less) shows me they're not being particularly clever. Posted by TryToBearIt

We'll have to agree to disagree on several points. First of all, anyone would trade Lucic straight up for Kovalchuk. I said any conversation about Kovalchuk would START with Lucic. I'm Atlanta's GM, I'm asking for Lucic, maybe Wheeler, Rask and/or Hunwick, plus a couple of top draft choices, for Kovy, just to start. Would you give up a package like that? I wouldn't. 

As for Morris, take a look around the league and check out the salaries for healthy, big, puck-moving defensemen. They are probably the most precious commodities in the market today; his salary is pretty much average for his skill set. 

Same with Thomas - he is the Vezina Trophy winner, and his salary is average for his position. He goes UFA and believe me, he gets a lot more.

I seriously don't get the pessism. We have a team, as I said, that most of the fans of other NHL teams would KILL for. I dunno, maybe Rick Pitino was right - Boston IS the Fellowship of the Miserable.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IThks for the spelling lesson-GEEKn Response to Re: Bruins' CUP Window now closed:
    In Response to Bruins' CUP Window now closed : did you just say speed like Lucic?  I'm not calling him slow by any means but, you think he's fast? Krejci is spelled like this Bergeron a Dman?  You'll see pigs sprouting wings first Defense is spelled with an S not a C Why don't you learn how to spell players names and key words in the game of hockey before coming on here.  Also, I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to opinions but when they are this ridiculous I have to step in and call people out. Seriously dude?
    Posted by IceGoalie3014

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

say what you want trytobearit, but i think if the bruins lost in a game 7 of the cup finals in OT you would leap out of your chair and scream "I TOLD YOU SO" at the top of your lungs, and go to bed muttering about how jacobs scrwed us again

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johndoe678. Show johndoe678's posts

...as opposed to posters who call people "idiots" to make their point. We'll see who's right in 6 months or so, when the B's are again KO'd in round 2 of the playoffs for lack of elite scoring and people like you are making excuses for JJ again. You can't seriously believe this Bruins team is capable of winning the Stanley Cup this year. Oh, I forgot. You're 21 years old and so you know everything. Never mind.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

spoken like a true red sox fan.  i'm so sick of bandwagoning sox fans crapping on the bruins for no apparent reason.  i'm a born and raised bostonian, and the typical red sox fan is really starting to tick me off. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Marco, if anybody made a legitimate point about the current management i wouldn't be so quick to shut it down, but all you guys give me is "THE BRUINS CAN NEVER WIN BECAUSE OF JACOBS BLAH BLAH BLAH" then you shoot into "we can't win without kessel" you guys are so disturbingly pessimistic about a team that has loads of potential. The NHL has more parody than any other league, meaning that predicting a stanley cup to the Bs would be almost as asinine as your posts. You say there are so many question marks, and yes there are, but there about 5 things that could go right and if a single one of them does it will basically make up for the lack of kessel. those 5 are 1. will sturm return to 28 goal form, 2. Will Wheeler improve on his numbers, 3. Will Bergeron return to form, 4. Will Morris help the break out, 5. Will Recchi continue to put up numbers (6 being do we get a big name at the deadline) last year the Bruins scored 270 goals, an average of 3.29 goals per game remove Kessels goals all together, and you are left with 234. divide that by 82 and you get 2.85, and that is assuming that nobody will step into Kessels role and score a single goal (you can chalk sturm up for at least 20) that would rank them 16th in last years NHL... considering they had the best GAA in the league, thats not that bad, and that is assuming we don't get a single goal from the first lines right winger. Lets conservatively estimate that Sturm scores 20, Lucic scores 5 more goals, wheeler scores 5 more goals, and that Recchi puts up a 20 goal year (he scored 10 in 18 regular season games last year with the bruins, which over an 82 game season would translate to 46 goals, but I rather think it would be optimistic to say the least to expect that). Thats +10 for Recchi +5 for looch +5 for Wheeler +13 for Sturm -36 for Kessel you are left with -3....which would have the Bruins, surprise surpise top 3 in the NHL in goals....and without Kessel there would probably be a couple fewer goals scored against, and thats estimating conservatively. I also didn't even touch the offensive upgrades on the blueline in this debate. We have 9 forwards that should score 20 goals....not many teams can say that. I really don't see how management can possibly be this terrible if they have compiled a team this good (lowest GAA in the league last year, 2nd in GF) and added many draft picks for the future, as well as stockpiling prospects in the minors and amatuer hockey. If you want to criticize the bruins go right ahead, I know they have tortured the fan base for generations, but I really think that you should take a good hard look at how their going about doing things these days, and realize that they have turned over a new leaf. Just don't keep regurgitating that Jacobs stuff because he may be a cold hearted guy, but in the salary cap era he can't really do much better, he has actually spent over the cap the last year when you factor in the buyouts
    Posted by dkrejci46

we will see david, how right u r .
    jacobs were instrumental in getting cap, that from a team that is supposed to be a major mkt.
    the $ was completely mismanaged.
    parity or not my friend , realistically there 4 at most 5 teams that have a legitimate shot at winning cup.

gavid, Aagain if the roster stays more or less the same and bruins get ousted in first rd next yr, what will u say, what excuses will u say.

right now the only thing i could see is if rask makes miracles in playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

I'm not a big fan of Thomas but he did win the Vezina last year marco.....i don't think we need to bank on a rookie goaltender.

BTW TSN has the Bruins in the top 2 in the NHL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

say what you want trytobearit, but i think if the bruins lost in a game 7 of the cup finals in OT you would leap out of your chair and scream "I TOLD YOU SO" at the top of your lungs, and go to bed muttering about how jacobs scrwed us again
    Posted by dkrejci46

Well now you're just looking for a fight. I really don't know how many ways I can state it: I just don't think this Bruins team as constituted is going to get anywhere near a sniff of a Cup this year unless they make some bold and dramatic moves w/those draft picks fro kess everyone is so giddy about...I've said it before and I'll say it again: yes, the ultimate prize is winning the Stanley Cup--that's what I want and what all B's fans want, regardless of how we feel about Mgt.--but BELIEVE ME: If this team MAKES EVEN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS THIS YEAR--I will be satisfied that I was wrong and will consider the season a success.

I've been watching hockey long enough to know that winning the Cup takes a lot going right--including lucky bounces--but it wasn't 'bad bounces' that KO'd that team last year...nor was it just injuries, though that didn't help...they were just not good enough to get past a mediocre Hurricanes team, and they don't look a lot stronger to me this year. So we'll wait and see.

But for crying out loud--stop being so arrogant and inflexible that you;'re actually dictating to me what my state of mind is just b/c I dare to disagree w/your assesment of this team as the 2nd coming of the 1970's Canadiens.

(BTW, I lloked in vain for your post on why they're better off w/out Kessel but couldn't find it. There's 600 billion freaking messages on this crazy board and they're getting harder and harder to sift through.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins' CUP Window now closed : We'll have to agree to disagree on several points. First of all, anyone would trade Lucic straight up for Kovalchuk. I said any conversation about Kovalchuk would START with Lucic. I'm Atlanta's GM, I'm asking for Lucic, maybe Wheeler, Rask and/or Hunwick, plus a couple of top draft choices, for Kovy, just to start. Would you give up a package like that? I wouldn't.  As for Morris, take a look around the league and check out the salaries for healthy, big, puck-moving defensemen. They are probably the most precious commodities in the market today; his salary is pretty much average for his skill set.  Same with Thomas - he is the Vezina Trophy winner, and his salary is average for his position. He goes UFA and believe me, he gets a lot more. I seriously don't get the pessism. We have a team, as I said, that most of the fans of other NHL teams would KILL for. I dunno, maybe Rick Pitino was right - Boston IS the Fellowship of the Miserable.     
    Posted by duinne

I'm willing to bet Atlanta would be willing to do Kovalchuck for less than what you described if only b/c they have an almost non-existent fan base that's getting smaller and would love to get his salary off the books. Would I do Lucic & Hunwick and a 2nd round pick for Kovy? Yes I would. Maybe not Rask b/c goalies are so critical and TT isn't getting any younger, but if Atlanta would bite on that other package I just described, I wouldn;'t even hesitate.

I don't deny TT is a relative bargain as a Vezina winner...I just think he would have signed for less had he been offered less. (BTW, I love TT and did so well before he won the Vezzy. I couldn;'t believe they traded for Manny when they did b/c Thomas was solid all that year...the problem that year was the team couldn't put any pucks in the net on offense to support him.)

As for Morris, I'm basing my assesment on his pretty lousy last couple of years in phoenix and his overall look as a big but not very mobile defenseman....remember that one of the biggest assets for today's D corps is getting back to retrieve pucks dumped into your own end with speed and precision then transitioning up-ice. Morris still has that killer slapshot on the PP but i;'m worried he will be a liability getting those pucks out of our own end. We'll see.

As for the Pitino comment--from my point of view, I see the reverse. I see fans giddy about being on the cusp of a cup when last year they got no closer than round 2 of the divisional playoffs and now they're w/out their top goal scorer. What evidence is there that this team is so much better than: The Caps, the Flyers, the Devils, The Penguins (and that's just in the East).....are they really so much better than Chicago or Detroit?

And finally, B's fans simply have a right to gripe about a franchise that has no title in 37 years, and has gotten past round ONE of the playoffs just TWICE in 11 years! This isn't Red Sox fans moaning about not getting a title last year, or Pats fans whining that 3 superbowls in the past 7 years wasn't enough, or even Celtics fans angry that they couldn't repeat w.out KG in the line-up!! This is a fan base that has suffered, and continues to, and is facing some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL with no real track record of success to justify those prices.

That is fair grounds for pessimism.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins' CUP Window now closed : I'm willing to bet Atlanta would be willing to do Kovalchuck for less than what you described if only b/c they have an almost non-existent fan base that's getting smaller and would love to get his salary off the books. Would I do Lucic & Hunwick and a 2nd round pick for Kovy? Yes I would. Maybe not Rask b/c goalies are so critical and TT isn't getting any younger, but if Atlanta would bite on that other package I just described, I wouldn;'t even hesitate. I don't deny TT is a relative bargain as a Vezina winner...I just think he would have signed for less had he been offered less. (BTW, I love TT and did so well before he won the Vezzy. I couldn;'t believe they traded for Manny when they did b/c Thomas was solid all that year...the problem that year was the team couldn't put any pucks in the net on offense to support him.) As for Morris, I'm basing my assesment on his pretty lousy last couple of years in phoenix and his overall look as a big but not very mobile defenseman....remember that one of the biggest assets for today's D corps is getting back to retrieve pucks dumped into your own end with speed and precision then transitioning up-ice. Morris still has that killer slapshot on the PP but i;'m worried he will be a liability getting those pucks out of our own end. We'll see. As for the Pitino comment--from my point of view, I see the reverse. I see fans giddy about being on the cusp of a cup when last year they got no closer than round 2 of the divisional playoffs and now they're w/out their top goal scorer. What evidence is there that this team is so much better than: The Caps, the Flyers, the Devils, The Penguins (and that's just in the East).....are they really so much better than Chicago or Detroit? And finally, B's fans simply have a right to gripe about a franchise that has no title in 37 years, and has gotten past round ONE of the playoffs just TWICE in 11 years! This isn't Red Sox fans moaning about not getting a title last year, or Pats fans whining that 3 superbowls in the past 7 years wasn't enough, or even Celtics fans angry that they couldn't repeat w.out KG in the line-up!! This is a fan base that has suffered, and continues to, and is facing some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL with no real track record of success to justify those prices. That is fair grounds for pessimism.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Strictly from a personal stand point, I would hate to se them trade Looch.....I know Kovy is a stud, but I just like to watch Lucic play.  He may not be the fastest, or the most skilled, but he has the nuts that this team needs. I would like to see the B's park Lucic in front of the net more, a la Cam.  He is a big kid, strong, and has decent hands, he could re-direct alot of shots out front.  Dont get me wrong people, I want the B's to do well, and I will watch every game as usual, I am just frustrated with them letting Kessel go.  I will get over it, but they will need to go back to what they did earlier last season and POUND people.  They got away from the physical play in the playoffs and paid for it.  So in one sense maybe letting kessel go was ok, but I will miss watching his speed too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

the reason for the second round departure was mainly injuries....i'm not talking about the guys that played hurt because every team has those guys, but montador and hnidy should never have touched the ice in the playoffs. Also give some credit t the Hurricanes, they played a hell of a series

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

the reason for the second round departure was mainly injuries....i'm not talking about the guys that played hurt because every team has those guys, but montador and hnidy should never have touched the ice in the playoffs. Also give some credit t the Hurricanes, they played a hell of a series
    Posted by dkrejci46

TryToBearIt ,
    This above is the main reason . I'm not saying if the Bruin's were healthy they were going to win the cup or even get past the Pens (as you did say it takes some luck , bounces and the Pens had it  on their side , even against the Wings) but we would have gone at least that step further. 
    I would also bet we don't get swept as the Canes did.
    This is why I do see my team improved from last year barring any injuries.
    Even though those draft picks they got for Kessel are in the bank they carry value and that makes the Bruins more powerful even though the picks are a non-ice product (I hope you understand what I mean .LOL). Potentially can make your team a cup winner !
    K let me get back to work as I don't make 5.4M. Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If the Globe paid us a penny a word, you would, Legion, you would.

I think this whole argument comes down to the team being more than the sum of its parts.  The best teams almost always have that quality.  Sometimes it gets called 'expecting to win' or 'chemistry' or 'destiny' but what it comes down to a team identity that everyone buys into.  The last few years have been textbook in terms of how you build that sense of team.  You bring in players, guys all across your team and salary structure, who work hard to improve every year (Chara, Thomas, Lucic).  You bring in corporate leaders with huge credibility with both fans and players (Neely, Sweeney).  You bring in a coach who can convince players to be accountable and that his system can win (NOT Lewis, Julien).  When you have a sense of trust between players and pride in the jersey, they make each other better.  And the identity doesn't change just because one or two key players leave - that's going to happen every year.  New guys come in and get indoctrinated or they get moved.

My point being that, over the last two years, the Bruins have established this quality.  They're more of a team now than they've been decades, and that's what I think gives them a shot not just this year but for as long as the key players on this team carry on what they've started. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I think Bookboy007 makes  agood point about the team identity...and no doubt last year's team was a continuation and improvement oin the year before....I won't soon forget the Game 6 win over Montreal in '08--one of THE classic Bruins wins of all-time...but this pretty much sums up why i'm not optimistic about continuing that identity...I think if you go back and watch that Game 6 you'll see that Kessel was an integral part of that win. I just think his talent level is going to go up, up, up, and the Bruins are simply going to miss his scoring touch and will have trouble this year putting pucks in the net.

I do not buy the fact that they lost to the Canes b/c of Hnidy and Montador. The games the B's lost in that series were cases of the whole team playing flat--not just one or two guys...and overall I think it showed they weren't wuite as talented as everyone desperately wanted to believe they were. And yeah, no way were they getting past the Pens. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten swept, but they would have lost, and THIS year....man, I can't believe no one is talking about how good Washington is going to be, not to mention the Flyers,who have a very similar team as the B's built around youth and toughness and now have added one of the top 3 defenseman in the game to their arsenal. The Pens are also a monster....given all this I just don't see a Kessel-less B's squad (also w/out the very important PK contributions made by PJ out of the mix...minus Yelle, who I believe has far more skill than Begin and would stay out of the panelty box more....I don't know if this team is as good as most people here seem to think.

Are they good? YES. In fact they are VERY good. But the East overall is EXTREMELY good and I firmly believe having a deep well of snipers that includes a speedster like Kessel was a critical factor. We can argue til the cows ome home about whether PC and JJ could have planned better to keep him--or if they ever wanted him at all after he dared to hold out...but the bottom line is we've got Sturm and Krejci returning from significant injuries, Bergeron a hit away from his carrer ending, Lucic still needing to probe he can be a consistent offensive force instead of just a banger, Wheeler trying to adapt to a new 15 lb. addition to his frame, and a million other nagging questions.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer--only realistic. I will hope I'm wrong and cheer the guys on...but I think these are valid points if only folks here would look at them objectively instead of with an angry tone of "how dare you question our squad?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssags111. Show ssags111's posts

] Defense is spelled with an S not a C Why don't you learn how to spell players names and key words in the game of hockey before coming on here. ]
    Posted by IceGoalie3014

Ummm, that's how you spell defense if your are Canadian with a c as in defence, maybe you should put the self-rightousness to bed eh.  I am not big fan of ripping on people over spelling, it can annoy me sometimes but hardly worth mentioning on a freaking chat board.

That said his POVs about the players are dumb, he is a troll.  Moving on now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

was it ever open?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from norwoodmustang. Show norwoodmustang's posts

Thats ok the sheep are more than thrilled with "just making the playoffs"

yay!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

In Response to Bruins' CUP Window now closed:
        It is looking more and more that the Bruins' chance at Lord Stanley's cup was last year.    Didn't think it was possible, but this year's defence looks more inept at getting the puck out of their zone than last  years.    Also, with Wheeler looking much more comfortable on LW rather than RW. the bruins have to pray that Sturm can switch to RW, or else they are going to have to make a trade a lot sooner that they thought. The bruins need a RW with speed on the Lucic / Savard line ( like a Kessel maybe) to stretch out defences, and Sturm fits the bill. Ryder is best suited as a 2nd line winger (preferably on another team, but that's not happening).    With Bergeron looking like he is never going to score another goal in his life,  and his great passes going to waste on Recchi and Kobasew, I would like the bruins to experiment with turning him into a defenceman when Kreichi is ready to play. I know forwards almost never become defencemen, but I think Bergeron has the skill and brains to pull it off, and on this team, I think he would instantly become the #2 d-man.    At least the Bruins have the goaltending to keep them in most games, and with this defence, they better not have any off nights.
    Posted by biggskye

when exactly was it open??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

was it ever open?
    Posted by jtassinarisoccer

keep spreading the misery

Sections
Shortcuts